Topics537,811
Posts9,729,393
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Off Topic Jump to new posts
Re: Astros 2024 Smokey Bear 22 seconds ago
I’m not sold on Espada. Batting order seems a bit screwy to me. Struggle to understand the reasoning behind moving Alvarez from an RBI spot in the lineup to a table setter in the two hole. Also don’t understand why Tucker who is the best base runner on the team is hitting behind average speed at best which hampers his ability to run. Before anyone says it, armchair coaching is part of the fun of being a diehard fan.
160 4,578 Read More
DIY Jump to new posts
Re: Patio Roof Biscuit 38 seconds ago
Nice work sir
23 1,193 Read More
Re: 29 years ago today. Biscuit 2 minutes ago
Sad remembering
1 111 Read More
Photos & Videos Jump to new posts
Re: Garden is up and going... Biscuit 4 minutes ago
Dang nice work man
3 359 Read More
Photos & Videos Jump to new posts
Re: Always look in the feeder head Biscuit 5 minutes ago
Whoa
4 117 Read More
Optics Jump to new posts
Redfield hunter 3x9 Longhorn74 7 minutes ago
Guys, I bought a vintage redfield hunter USA 3x9 scope last year off of eBay. I have multiple old redfield scopes, both wide view and traditional and never saw one with hunter on it. My question is how old is this line? The glass is clear and the optics appear good on this older scope.
0 7 Read More
non-hunting CLASSIFIEDS Jump to new posts
Re: F/S fishing hunting boat Biscuit 7 minutes ago
Nice job on the rebuild, it looks really nice.
1 67 Read More
Migratory Bird Hunting Jump to new posts
Re: Bois d’Arc Lake BDB 15 minutes ago
I can already see where the havoc boys will head out to the boat lane while real duck hunters take the short route nidea
12 518 Read More
Open Hunting Discussion Jump to new posts
Re: Successful loafing trip to the meadow duffas 15 minutes ago
You got more guts than me, 22LR bolt gun?
6 216 Read More
Migratory Bird Hunting Jump to new posts
Re: Extreme 2 vs SBE 2 BDB 23 minutes ago
I've not shot the Benelli in over 3 years now that I went to the A400. My son has it but he doesn't hunt hardly at all. I may get it and shoot some duck loads thru it. If it jams, I'll send it back to benelli. I suspect I may have cleaned it to much between my first dove season and duck season with it...but have seen reports of the same issue with them that i have had. But again, I thinks a lemmon....really want a 20g sbe2
33 3,691 Read More
Re: Torch set with owned bottles bucksnbass357 24 minutes ago
Are the hoses in good shape?

How old are the regulators?
1 98 Read More
Firearms Sales, Trades and Gunsmithing Jump to new posts
Re: Kimber Super Carry Pro HD, 45acp bludot 53 minutes ago
Thank you sir. You are a great person too!

Originally Posted by hawghoover
bump for a great guy
4 900 Read More
Ammunition & Reloading Jump to new posts
Re: Fun at Academy J.G. 58 minutes ago
I had a custom built rifle and for the time a pretty high end Mil/Mil scope, in a Pelican case. I wanted to go test fit Butler Creek scope caps. (Before I knew they were junk and I'd end up breaking ten of them)

Rolled that case into Academy and told someone at the front that a rifle was inside and what I wanted to do. He opened it, saw the bolt was out, and then closed the Pelican. He rolled it back to the gun counter and explained the deal. The guy at the gun counter took the case and sat it on the counter. He flipped open the latches, saw what was inside, and then looked at me. "Sir, I don't want to even touch this rig. It looks way more expensive than anything we have here. Come around the counter and get your rifle out."

I came around the counter, pulled the rifle out, flipped down the bipod legs and set it up. It drew a little bit of a crowd. The customers were asking the gun counter guy what it is. He pointed at me and said "I don't know, ask him".
17 686 Read More
Re: 20 Fancy Restaurants From The 1970s, That No Longer Exist! Stub 1 hour ago
Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by Stub
Originally Posted by freerange
Rolltide, there were several Dixie Houses. First was the very small menu Blackeyed Pea. Then came the bigger menu at Dixie House. Then we basically took the Dixie House menu for all new Blackeyed Peas and opened a whole bunch of em. My good friend owned the Lakewook Yacht Club across from Dixie Lakewood-go in that one Roll??

Yall really got me going on the restaurant scene from the 70s and 80s. .......

It seems like there were two separate but almost identical Dixie houses? (I should have stated different owners o companies)

There was the Dixie House that I used to eat at on NW HWY across from Bachman Lake back in either the late 70's or early 80's, that I use to eat at that I thought was another one of Gene Streets restaurants like the Black Eyed-Pea, Back then you got a large portion of meat with three sides and it was so darn good food

Unfortunately I cannot find any info on the Dixie House on NW HWY??

Stub, if you are confused or curious about anything to do with Dixie House or Blackeyed Pea just give me a shout.
Gene Street and Phil Cobb started the company "Prufrock" in about 72 with J Alfreds, Old Church and Bullys Pub. Then they struck gold with the small place, small menu Blackeyed Pea on Cedar Springs in 74ish. I was a parttime bartender at all those while going to school. I saw Streets genius and anticipated the growth and went fulltime as they begged me to do. They tried various other concepts through the years but the Pea and Dixie were the keepers for growth.

Another very small Pea in Snider Plaza and converted Bullys to a Pea. Dixie House on Mckinney was next and I opened it as manager. Then Dixie Lakewood was next and they moved me there. These Dixie's had a much bigger menu than the early Peas. Blackeyed Pea on Camp Bowie in FW was next. This was the first Pea which was basically a Dixie House menu with the BEPea name. All future Peas would have this morphed Dixie/Pea menu.

It was next that I went into the corporate office and became VP Operations. We grew like crazy. A few more Dixies opened up(like Bachman and Addison) but all the major growth across Texas and to a smaller degree, the country, was The Blackeyed Pea.
Eventually Street and Cobb sold out to an English conglomerate, and I got out too. The company that bought it had many other interests so its no surprise they lost what made us great. It changed hands a time or two more with similar results. Things started spiraling downhill and a once great chain went by the wayside. It was sad for me to see a lifetime of work go down the tubes but I was watching from the sidelines by then.

freerange appreciate your insight. two questions.

1. About when did the Dixie House location on NW Hwy/Bachman lake open?
2. As high lighted in Bold above. Were there two separate Dixie house owners/companies? I know Gene Street and Phil Cobb owned the Dixie House & Black eye-Peas.

There is a lot of write ups about these other owners and their Dixie House Cafe's.

http://www.dixiehousecafes.com/index.php/about-us

Dixie House Cafe originally opened in 1983 as Theresa’s, named after the owner’s wife.

http://www.dixiehousecafes.com/index.php/about-us

We opened our first restaurant in January 1983. At that time the restaurant’s name was Theresa’s Cafe, named after my wife Theresa.

Your friends Dale and Theresa

BTW it was obvious when Gene & Phil sold out. It went from generous portion of the main entrée with 3 sides, down to smaller portions and only two sides.

83 2,579 Read More
Re: Buffalo Trace….. Replacement 68rustbucket 1 hour ago
Bought the Larceny instead of Elijah Craig. It’s not bad!

Thanks for the recommendation Superduty!
62 2,900 Read More
Trading Post - Swap - Classifieds Jump to new posts
Re: WTT: .308 for 6.5 Grendel Ammo scot 1 hour ago
Bump still looking to trade or I would sell 4 for $100 in Weatherford.
5 282 Read More
Re: WTS - Ruger 77V in .220 Swift (Pac-Nor) RiverRider 1 hour ago
Up for Friday
21 2,178 Read More
Re: Student debt forgiveness Smokey Bear 1 hour ago
Originally Posted by 10 Gauge
I don’t get it. You went to college. You’re supposedly smarter than me. Figure it out. I am not wasting 4 years of my life to make peanuts when there are trades paying 6 figures. It’s dumb.

If they (the guberment) really cared about educating the kids, they would pay teachers a better wage. I don’t want somebody teaching my kids that wasted 4 years of life to make a low-middle class income. I can tell you right off the bat, most of them have no business trying to teach kids. I think it is intentional, they want ideologues that will help raise or create good slaves for the future.

I am sure there are a few that really care about teaching kids, or come from a family tradition of teachers. Most of them are a long way off from that ideal.

Sometimes you get pretty far out there Bryan. College is not for everyone. Some do well with no need for college. Some flounder inspite of college. Depending on career choice, college may be 100% necessary. College professors are teaching young adults, not kids. How those young adults conduct themselves and what they take away from college is a function of their own decisions, their upbringing, and their work ethic..
32 1,415 Read More
Rifles, Shotguns & Handguns Jump to new posts
Re: sa ruger and +p ammo RJH1 1 hour ago
Originally Posted by wp75169
Originally Posted by RJH1
Originally Posted by ranchwagen
i have a single action ruger blackhawk in 45colt, would it be safe to shoot some hogs with +p ammo? its a bisley turnbull with 5 1/2" barrel if that helps, thanks!
[Linked Image]

Is that all factory? That's a damn good looking gun!

P.L.U.S bolt

I am curious though about what all modifications Turnbull done to it.

So it has been worked over some I guess. I thought that case coloring looked way better than normal Ruger but I thought maybe they had really stepped up their game LOL
17 437 Read More
Re: 2013 4x4 Ford Expedition King Ranch DeerSlayer31 1 hour ago
Life is all about timing. If we hadn’t just bought my wife a car we would have bought this.
3 218 Read More
Re: “Free” Healthcare ntxtrapper 1 hour ago
Originally Posted by BassBuster1
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
We already have free healthcare. Just go to a county hospital and tell them your name if Juan Hernandez. You will get treated and everyone else will pay for it with their property taxes.

Yep and it has been this way for a very long time. It is one of the lies told by Obama, there has always been healthcare for the indigent. It is against the law for a hospital to deny "emergency" health care based on a person's ability to pay. .

I watched it play out night after night at JPS.
16 439 Read More
Rifles, Shotguns & Handguns Jump to new posts
Re: Action Bedding - Yes or No? ntxtrapper 1 hour ago
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
If it is shooting good currently with no fliers, then I'd leave it be. The 3 main things that I will do to a factory rifle are:

1) Free float the barrel
2) Lighten up the trigger
3) Bed it, only if it's needed.

When I first got into long range shooting I was running an inexpensive $500 Howa 1500 in 270 Winchester. The barrel was touching the stock at the end of the forend. When I free floated it, the action in the stock was such that it dropped the front of the barrel down more into the stock channel. So we bedded it to have a good base and keep the barrel free floated. We lightened up the trigger as well. The rifle went from shooting ok with some fliers once the barrel got warm, to 3/4 moa all day long out to 800 yards and much more consistent from shot to shot.

But not all factory rifles need this work. Bergara makes a very good factory rifle. The top 2 factory rifles that I recommend are the Tikka and Bergara rifles. Both shoot very well out of the box.

Right here.
11 334 Read More
Re: Looking for venue, 600 people with decent parking Mickey Moose 2 hours ago
Another is the Bush Library (at SMU) though I don't know if it'll support 600. I've been for private events with, conservatively, several hundred.
6 248 Read More
Re: Savage A17 shooter60 2 hours ago
Gun traded to Master Plumb pending meet
18 1,517 Read More
Re: WTS/WTT Sig P938 LSCG 2 hours ago
Originally Posted by hawghoover
can you tell me where you got those Elk grips? id like to order some for my P365 .thanks

Hi, I actually made the grips.

https://www.instagram.com/thompsongunandknife?igsh=NWduZjB6NW00cmNw&utm_source=qr

Unfortunately I wouldn’t be able to make anything for the P365. Sorry.
11 1,097 Read More
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 18 19
© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide