Forums46
Topics538,320
Posts9,735,780
Members87,082
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: WhataburgerEatr] #8830162 04/07/23 05:48 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by WhataburgerEatr
Well, especially when considering a lot of what I’ve posted is facetious.

[Linked Image]

Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: Jimbo1] #8830163 04/07/23 05:49 PM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Originally Posted by Jimbo1
Originally Posted by 603Country
When I retired at 62, I called a SS office (the one in Corsicana) and spoke to a fellow there. My question was whether I should start taking the money now or should I wait. He asked a few questions, had some data on me, and he pounded his calculator for a bit. Then he said that based on their data, I should take the money now because if I waited past 65 (or maybe it was 66), I’d never catch up at the higher monthly rate the money I’d have gotten by starting earlier. Part of the calculation was how long his data expected me to live. I took the money at 62.

A lot depends on how long you will live, and unfortunately that may not match up with how long you PLAN to live. As they say “man plans, God laughs”.

I took mine at 62 also. I figured it would be better to be already receiving benefits if/when the Dems jack with it (grandfathered). Also, I worked 47 years and they’ve been taking it out every since so it’s my time to start using “my” money before I die.

Same here, I started at 62, worked and paid in for 46 years. I built an Excel spreadsheet and I will probably live long enough to get to the cross over mark. Also, by not having to draw off of my 401K, it has grown way faster than the increase in S/S and since my wife can't draw on my S/S it leaves more money in the 401K for her to live off of if I die first.

Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: Old Rabbit] #8830164 04/07/23 06:00 PM
T
TPACK Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Old Rabbit
Originally Posted by Jimbo1
Originally Posted by 603Country
When I retired at 62, I called a SS office (the one in Corsicana) and spoke to a fellow there. My question was whether I should start taking the money now or should I wait. He asked a few questions, had some data on me, and he pounded his calculator for a bit. Then he said that based on their data, I should take the money now because if I waited past 65 (or maybe it was 66), I’d never catch up at the higher monthly rate the money I’d have gotten by starting earlier. Part of the calculation was how long his data expected me to live. I took the money at 62.

A lot depends on how long you will live, and unfortunately that may not match up with how long you PLAN to live. As they say “man plans, God laughs”.

I took mine at 62 also. I figured it would be better to be already receiving benefits if/when the Dems jack with it (grandfathered). Also, I worked 47 years and they’ve been taking it out every since so it’s my time to start using “my” money before I die.

Same here, I started at 62, worked and paid in for 46 years. I built an Excel spreadsheet and I will probably live long enough to get to the cross over mark. Also, by not having to draw off of my 401K, it has grown way faster than the increase in S/S and since my wife can't draw on my S/S it leaves more money in the 401K for her to live off of if I die first.

I grew up thinking I would never get a dime of SS. Because of that, we always saved for retirement with that in mind. Now I`m 2 years into retirement @ 64 and no plans to use my 401K $$ or other investments anytime soon. A good friend just retired @ 65 and his longtime CPA advised him not to wait to start his SS. He said you never know when they might make changes and if you are already on it, you would be grandfathered in.

Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: NORML as can be] #8830290 04/08/23 12:15 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Guys - please just think for a moment. If SS was EVER to go bankrupt and be unable to meet their obligations to millions of Americans who rely on SS to live on do you really think this country could go forward? Give me a break - SS will NOT GO AWAY - meanwhile many of you are losing money because you are fearful - once again ........ if you need the income now or are not healthy or have a family history of living not living a long life then take it NOW - on the other hand if you do not need the income now and are in decent health then delay taking it -

Last edited by tlk; 04/08/23 12:16 AM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: WhataburgerEatr] #8830310 04/08/23 12:52 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by WhataburgerEatr
Well, especially when considering a lot of what I’ve posted is facetious.

I see where over 14 years of being a member here you have posted a total of 26 times - all of us request that you wait another 14 years before your 27th post - nothing but a troll - go away please

You can't fix stupid
Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: tlk] #8830338 04/08/23 01:31 AM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by tlk
Guys - please just think for a moment. If SS was EVER to go bankrupt and be unable to meet their obligations to millions of Americans who rely on SS to live on do you really think this country could go forward? Give me a break - SS will NOT GO AWAY - meanwhile many of you are losing money because you are fearful - once again ........ if you need the income now or are not healthy or have a family history of living not living a long life then take it NOW - on the other hand if you do not need the income now and are in decent health then delay taking it -

I'm convinced that they will continue to push the age back, and even restrict amount certain people get. It will collapse because No body is having kids.

Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: S.A. hunter] #8830339 04/08/23 01:32 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
Originally Posted by tlk

I'm convinced that they will continue to push the age back, and even restrict amount certain people get. It will collapse because No body is having kids.

Nobody that pays taxes anyhow…

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: NORML as can be] #8830396 04/08/23 03:51 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
My SS will be reduced by around 75% by WEP or the Windfall Elimination Provision. So SS is not a factor in my retirement. I have not done the math, but on that consideration of not needing it and not being enough to really matter. I wonder if rather than waiting until the max age to draw one could start drawing it early, but dca the SS into an investment vehicle to ride until that max age or age of choice. Then one could at some future age not only continue to draw the SS each month, but also combine the SS payment with a monthly withdrawal from the investment. Would this be a greater monthly sum instead of waiting until the same age to start drawing SS. Don't know and I'm sure it would depend on the return on the investment, so there would be a level of risk to choose. Yes, I'm over thinking it. It will probably go towards a boat payment instead. wink

Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: Sniper John] #8830397 04/08/23 04:00 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Sniper John
My SS will be reduced by around 75% by WEP or the Windfall Elimination Provision. So SS is not a factor in my retirement. I have not done the math, but on that consideration of not needing it and not being enough to really matter. I wonder if rather than waiting until the max age to draw one could start drawing it early, but dca the SS into an investment vehicle to ride until that max age or age of choice. Then one could at some future age not only continue to draw the SS each month, but also combine the SS payment with a monthly withdrawal from the investment. Would this be a greater monthly sum instead of waiting until the same age to start drawing SS. Don't know and I'm sure it would depend on the return on the investment, so there would be a level of risk to choose. Yes, I'm over thinking it. It will probably go towards a boat payment instead. wink

I think it is more about how you have allocated and how the tax implications affect that.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: Sniper John] #8830485 04/08/23 01:22 PM
Uncle Zeek Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted by Sniper John

If you intend to keep earning money - wages or self-employment - over approx $21k per year during the 'early' retirement years, probably shouldn't do it. Your early SSA benefits get reduced by 50% of every dollar earned over that $21k. May as well wait until at least 'full' retirement age and take your WEP-adjusted benefit which won't be offset by earnings.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries - but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate, probate & taxes
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 work
zac@artimlegal.com
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide