Forums46
Topics538,313
Posts9,735,686
Members87,082
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: scottfromdallas] #8827045 04/01/23 06:20 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
Originally Posted by blkt2
Social Security will never run out. They will just print the money out of thin and pay it which steals purchasing power from everyone through inflation,

You will get it, it will just be worth less. They are stealing your 401k and your wealth through inflation which is just a hidden tax.

When your monetary system is dishonest, you are in a rigged game.

A dollar defined by the 1792 Coinage act is 372.5 grams pure silver. We don’t use dollars, we use Federal Reserve Notes which are just paper and a total con game. All fiat dollars throughout history return to their true value which is zero.

We are in the end game of the Federal Reserve Note. It’s almost at zero so expect inflation to get much worse.

Every monetary system in the history of mankind that was based on metal collapsed on its own if left alone to run its course.

Modern economics are completely dependent on inflation. Without fiat currency the capital markets dry up and almost no one would ever be able to get a loan for a car or a house. Interest you pay on a loan is in the long run inflation. Personally that doesn't affect me because I've never taken out a loan for anything in my life including houses or cars. I'm in my fifties and I've never borrowed a cent from anyone for anything.

Metal based monetary system collapsed due to dilution of metal content by clipping coins in Roman times to make more coins. Changing the content of metal in the coins or creating a fractional reserve system that allows you to loan more paper against the metal its backing.

All fiat money collapses in less than 75 years throughout modern history.

Oddly enough bread cost the exact same through the entire history of the Roman Empire and there was never inflation. They had to by necessity create stealth inflation and debased their currency because there simply wasn't enough metal to go around and they would have experienced deflation. I don't like fiat currency but the system works as long as you don't have people trying to manipulate things and our system has manipulators from top to bottom.

Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: blkt2] #8827106 04/01/23 10:21 PM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Social Security will never run out. They will just print the money out of thin and pay it which steals purchasing power from everyone through inflation,

You will get it, it will just be worth less. They are stealing your 401k and your wealth through inflation which is just a hidden tax.

When your monetary system is dishonest, you are in a rigged game.

A dollar defined by the 1792 Coinage act is 372.5 grams pure silver. We don’t use dollars, we use Federal Reserve Notes which are just paper and a total con game. All fiat dollars throughout history return to their true value which is zero.

We are in the end game of the Federal Reserve Note. It’s almost at zero so expect inflation to get much worse.

Every monetary system in the history of mankind that was based on metal collapsed on its own if left alone to run its course.

Modern economics are completely dependent on inflation. Without fiat currency the capital markets dry up and almost no one would ever be able to get a loan for a car or a house. Interest you pay on a loan is in the long run inflation. Personally that doesn't affect me because I've never taken out a loan for anything in my life including houses or cars. I'm in my fifties and I've never borrowed a cent from anyone for anything.

You appear fairly versed in the subject at hand and intelligent. So, why never use cheap capital? That’s essentially a page of the independently wealthy individuals playbook. From a personal pride standpoint I totally get it, but from a finance and economic perspective it makes no sense to me. I’m wondering if there is something I’m just missing?

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: NORML as can be] #8827111 04/01/23 10:35 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
^^^^ I have no tolerance whatsoever for BS and will not sit still and go through the scrutiny of the paperwork to get a loan. My business is also very cash heavy and I make a lot of money and spend way less than I make so I've never really needed credit although I do have it and for whatever reason I have a very strong aversion to debt and I can't explain why. Just don't like hanging something over my head I guess.

Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: 603Country] #8827263 04/02/23 01:03 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by 603Country
When I retired at 62, I called a SS office (the one in Corsicana) and spoke to a fellow there. My question was whether I should start taking the money now or should I wait. He asked a few questions, had some data on me, and he pounded his calculator for a bit. Then he said that based on their data, I should take the money now because if I waited past 65 (or maybe it was 66), I’d never catch up at the higher monthly rate the money I’d have gotten by starting earlier. Part of the calculation was how long his data expected me to live. I took the money at 62.

A lot depends on how long you will live, and unfortunately that may not match up with how long you PLAN to live. As they say “man plans, God laughs”.

I took mine at 62 also. I figured it would be better to be already receiving benefits if/when the Dems jack with it (grandfathered). Also, I worked 47 years and they’ve been taking it out every since so it’s my time to start using “my” money before I die.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: bucksnbass357] #8828999 04/05/23 01:55 PM
W
WhataburgerEatr Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
Originally Posted by bucksnbass357
Originally Posted by WhataburgerEatr
And the older generations wonder why the younger generations lack motivation…should probably look at what they are leaving behind, but I know that requires reflection and accepting responsibility which is asking a lot.

Actually son, the younger generation lacks motivation because you’ve had it too easy in life and have had things in life just handed to you

Are you looking for reparations?

It’s amazing how many business owners(most of which are of older age) feel the same way you do, yet had no problem taking on substantial PPP “LOANS” which were “forgiven”. 500 billion was it? Surely you’re not one of those people though. I only regret not investing in luxury boat brands during that time.

Keep kicking the can along…

What’s that? Bailing out the banks?

The globalization game certainly couldn’t have any repercussions…

$31.46 trillion in debt, all brought to you by policies derived from the older generation.

I hear talk of the 40yr mortgage, and “bailouts/handouts” for current mortgage owners for sake of reducing the effects of a saturated market due to fear of foreclosure. We certainly wouldn’t want lower home prices AND low interest. We must intervene! The young will rent and like it!

College tuition 1180%+ higher than in 1978, wonder who’s posed to profit from that? The higher we raise tuition, the more the government will pay. Nothing to see here.

Ad nauseam

No, the American dream is dead because the people in charge of policy the last 20-30yrs throat forked the Statue of Liberty for all she’s worth, didn’t even offer her a rag, and now it’s time for the chickens to roost. There’s a colorful illustration.

You’d probably be shocked to know I’m a millennial who’s actually done fairly well on his own with no debt, certainly better than most. But I’m not overlooking the issues. I certainly have no issue returning the categorizations that have always been lumped of my generation. It was “learned” to me.

Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: WhataburgerEatr] #8829853 04/07/23 12:48 AM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
And the older generations wonder why the younger generations lack motivation…should probably look at what they are leaving behind, but I know that requires reflection and accepting responsibility which is asking a lot.

Actually son, the younger generation lacks motivation because you’ve had it too easy in life and have had things in life just handed to you

It’s amazing how many business owners(most of which are of older age) feel the same way you do, yet had no problem taking on substantial PPP “LOANS” which were “forgiven”. 500 billion was it? Surely you’re not one of those people though. I only regret not investing in luxury boat brands during that time.

$31.46 trillion in debt, all brought to you by policies derived from the older generation.

I hear talk of the 40yr mortgage, and “bailouts/handouts” for current mortgage owners for sake of reducing the effects of a saturated market due to fear of foreclosure. We certainly wouldn’t want lower home prices AND low interest. We must intervene! The young will rent and like it!

College tuition 1180%+ higher than in 1978, wonder who’s posed to profit from that? The higher we raise tuition, the more the government will pay. Nothing to see here.

Ad nauseam

No, the American dream is dead because the people in charge of policy the last 20-30yrs throat forked the Statue of Liberty for all she’s worth, didn’t even offer her a rag, and now it’s time for the chickens to roost. There’s a colorful illustration.

You’d probably be shocked to know I’m a millennial who’s actually done fairly well on his own with no debt, certainly better than most. But I’m not overlooking the issues. I certainly have no issue returning the categorizations that have always been lumped of my generation. It was “learned” to me.

lots of jibberish in your post - and NO I am not shocked to know you are a mellinnial -- your generation has no clue the price that the Great generation and others paid to provide you what you are enjoying today - number one was those who gave their lives in WWI and WWII and Vietnam to defend this beautiful country you are priviledged to get to be a part of.

I lost many of my friends who gave their lives so you can be here in a free country today - My Grandfather and Father served in the military defending this country - the reason you "actually have done fairly well on my own" is due to those who came before you who honored this country and paid the price for your freedom for you to do "fairly well" - YOU did not do well on your own - you were blessed to have a country that allowed you to succeed -

Son, do not ever second guess what those before you have done for you to be here today - YOU ARE LIVING THE AMERICAN DREAM even though you do not realize or appreciate it - you need to count your blessings that you were born in this great country - your post makes me want to throw up

Last edited by tlk; 04/07/23 12:57 AM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: NORML as can be] #8829862 04/07/23 01:02 AM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Yeah, we are your problem. That's it. We contributed to society and many more profited off our endeavors. You rest on the shoulders of giants who preceded you and then you gritch.

My firm grosses in excess of 10 something and we didnt take no ppp loan. Banker called me to streamline the process and he was told no thank you.

Your opportunities to succeed are far greater than ours as your generation doesn't want to work nor do what they should. Making excuses by blaming your elders (63 here) is an ill minded losers limp.

Don't get too big for your britches.

Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: NORML as can be] #8829895 04/07/23 02:29 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Tlk and Hudbone got it going on!!!

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: tlk] #8829919 04/07/23 03:38 AM
W
WhataburgerEatr Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
Originally Posted by tlk

Ad nauseam

lots of jibberish in your post - and NO I am not shocked to know you are a mellinnial -- your generation has no clue the price that the Great generation and others paid to provide you what you are enjoying today - number one was those who gave their lives in WWI and WWII and Vietnam to defend this beautiful country you are priviledged to get to be a part of.

I lost many of my friends who gave their lives so you can be here in a free country today - My Grandfather and Father served in the military defending this country - the reason you "actually have done fairly well on my own" is due to those who came before you who honored this country and paid the price for your freedom for you to do "fairly well" - YOU did not do well on your own - you were blessed to have a country that allowed you to succeed -

Son, do not ever second guess what those before you have done for you to be here today - YOU ARE LIVING THE AMERICAN DREAM even though you do not realize or appreciate it - you need to count your blessings that you were born in this great country - your post makes me want to throw up

I’m extremely aware of the price many paid long ago, my examples above explicitly mention the issues presented in the last 30yrs…not 45,60,75,100yrs. I’m also keenly aware of my situation and position, it still doesn’t change the situation we are in and the direction headed. Yet, my rights and freedoms were granted to my by God, and nobody else. Protected by those who served and chipped away at by those who make policy.

Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: Hudbone] #8829921 04/07/23 03:44 AM
W
WhataburgerEatr Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Yeah, we are your problem. That's it. We contributed to society and many more profited off our endeavors. You rest on the shoulders of giants who preceded you and then you gritch.

My firm grosses in excess of 10 something and we didnt take no ppp loan. Banker called me to streamline the process and he was told no thank you.

Your opportunities to succeed are far greater than ours as your generation doesn't want to work nor do what they should. Making excuses by blaming your elders (63 here) is an ill minded losers limp.

Don't get too big for your britches.

I see my use of group identity instead of individuality rubbed you wrong. Interesting…

Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: NORML as can be] #8829922 04/07/23 03:52 AM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Whataboogereatr, what is your point?

Last edited by S.A. hunter; 04/07/23 03:53 AM.
Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: blkt2] #8829923 04/07/23 04:07 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Oddly enough bread cost the exact same through the entire history of the Roman Empire and there was never inflation. They had to by necessity create stealth inflation and debased their currency because there simply wasn't enough metal to go around and they would have experienced deflation. I don't like fiat currency but the system works as long as you don't have people trying to manipulate things and our system has manipulators from top to bottom.

Where did you get this information? The main part of the Roman empire in general lasted about 500 years with another 250ish years on both ends at various levels. There was definitely inflation and sometimes hyperinflation. There was also monetary debasement which you correctly touched on. Inflation and debasement wreaked havoc on the empire.

"Oddly enough bread cost the exact same through the entire history of the Roman Empire and there was never inflation."

I'm wondering where did you obtain the data for this statement?

To be determined
Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: WhataburgerEatr] #8829925 04/07/23 04:12 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

I’m a millennial

Soon, in four years I'll be living the retired dream and appreciate your support. Will start drawing at 62 just for funzies.

If SS is gone by then we are still ok but it won't be gone by then.

To be determined
Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: NORML as can be] #8829926 04/07/23 04:15 AM
W
WhataburgerEatr Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
Hope you bought gold 3yrs ago. Lord help you if you are expecting your 401k to be there, or a USD that’s worth more than paper to wipe your butt with. That SS check ain’t much. If it doesn’t go as planned, definitely blame a millennial.

Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: WhataburgerEatr] #8829927 04/07/23 04:24 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Hope you bought gold.

At this point, I look at gold as something nice to pass down. As full time RVers we don't have any assets to speak of anymore. Stuff has already been given to the kids if they wanted it or otherwise sold, or given away to strangers. Physical gold in a bank lockbox is just a hedge for us. We hopefully will die broke. If we dip into the gold then so be it. smile

To be determined
Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8829928 04/07/23 04:28 AM
W
WhataburgerEatr Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter

Where did you get this information? The main part of the Roman empire in general lasted about 500 years with another 250ish years on both ends at various levels. There was definitely inflation and sometimes hyperinflation. There was also monetary debasement which you correctly touched on. Inflation and debasement wreaked havoc on the empire.

"Oddly enough bread cost the exact same through the entire history of the Roman Empire and there was never inflation."

I'm wondering where did you obtain the data for this statement?

Goes against what I’ve learned too. Hell, there’s literature talking about the price of wheat jumping 10,000X in a 50yr period. Not sure how you make bread without wheat.

Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: WhataburgerEatr] #8829929 04/07/23 04:33 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Hope you bought gold 3yrs ago. Lord help you if you are expecting your 401k to be there, or a USD that’s worth more than paper to wipe your butt with. That SS check ain’t much. If it doesn’t go as planned, definitely blame a millennial.

You're post tells me you're pretty low on the food chain of international business and finance experience. You're ignorant and just don't know it but that's OK. It your world, within your scope of knowledge, I can understand how your might perceive things in such a way.

To be determined
Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: NORML as can be] #8829930 04/07/23 04:39 AM
W
WhataburgerEatr Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
Let’s hear it then hoss, always looking to learn. Would like your thoughts on the current BRICS situation?

Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: WhataburgerEatr] #8829938 04/07/23 05:07 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Let’s hear it then hoss, always looking to learn. What are your thoughts on the current BRICS situation?

You have to learn it by doing and listening. Thankfully I had good mentors. There's no post or information source that's going to summarize it all. I wish there was because I'm getting out in four years. International business experience and routine travel has been with 57 countries so far. Have managed 6 countries' in my career. Now just 2, the USA and Australia.

The current BRICS situation? From a global business perspective, dumping the dollar is meaningless because from an international business perspective, transactions for goods still occur in local currencies and associated conversions. Makes for sensational headlines though.

To be determined
Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8829939 04/07/23 05:13 AM
W
WhataburgerEatr Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
Let’s hear it then hoss, always looking to learn. What are your thoughts on the current BRICS situation?

You have to learn it by doing and listening. Thankfully I had good mentors. There's no post or information source that's going to summarize it all. I wish there was because I'm getting out in four years. International business experience and routine travel has been with 57 countries so far. Have managed 6 countries' in my career. Now just 2, the USA and Australia.

The current BRICS situation? From a global business perspective, dumping the dollar is meaningless because from an international business perspective, transactions for goods still occur in local currencies and associated conversions. Makes for sensational headlines though.

I have more concern for these loans China is rolling over, and their accelerated dump of US bonds. But not being an international financial wiz I don’t know where it ends up.

Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: NORML as can be] #8830035 04/07/23 01:32 PM
Uncle Zeek Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Oh, Social Security will still be here, and it'll still be paying benefits. But here's what I think is going to happen:

1) Retirement ages will increase. 'Early' retirement at 62 will probably get phased up to 64-65. 'Full' retirement age will slowly advance to age 70. 'Maximum' retirement age will probably go up from 70 to 75 or thereabouts.

2) Full retirement age SSA benefits will start getting means-tested similarly to early retirement benefits. So if you continue working in your retirement years, your benefits will probably be reduced by some percentage of earnings.

3) SSA benefits will become subject to asset limitations. If you scrimped and saved during your working years so that you would have something to live in your old age, your SSA benefits will probably be reduced by some percentage of your assets which are available for your support.

4) SSA wage caps will soar. Currently the first $147,000 or so of wages are subject to SSA tax. That'll at least double, if not more, in the next 5-10 years.

The rationale will be along the lines that having retirement savings and assets means you're 'privileged' and 'fortunate', and so are not entitled to the same level of SSA support that the 'more needy and deserving' people who didn't save & plan ahead need.

Now I could be dead wrong. My crystal ball works as well as everyone else's. But the above is consistent with the trends in SSA law for the last 40+ years.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries - but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate, probate & taxes
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 work
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: WhataburgerEatr] #8830049 04/07/23 01:59 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

My (and others) 401k has been there for 40 years and will be there throughout my retirement - what a silly statement for you to make

You can't fix stupid
Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: tlk] #8830054 04/07/23 02:04 PM
T
TPACK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by tlk

My (and others) 401k has been there for 40 years and will be there throughout my retirement - what a silly statement for you to make

[Linked Image]

Last edited by TPACK; 04/07/23 02:05 PM.
Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: NORML as can be] #8830057 04/07/23 02:05 PM
W
WhataburgerEatr Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
Well, especially when considering a lot of what I’ve posted is facetious.

Re: Social Security will run out in 10 years [Re: NORML as can be] #8830147 04/07/23 05:06 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
When I was in HS over 30 years ago, this is what I was told...
The oceans are going to rise in 10 years.
We'll have flying cars in 10 years.
We will run out of oil in 10 years.
Car engines will be made out of ceramic and mechanics will be wearing lab coats instead of greasy coveralls in 10 years.

I tend not believe anybody that tells me "in 10 years, such and such is going to happen"

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide