Forums46
Topics538,021
Posts9,731,919
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: maximus_flavius] #8712852 10/19/22 06:27 PM
C
CoyoteHill Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I was driving one morning out to my barn to feed horses in my flat bed one ton Ford F350 with two of my dogs on the back. This lady comes up behind me, flashing her lights. I pulled over and she pulls up and yells, "That's not safe!" I said, Ma'am? She goes, "Those dogs could fall off. That's not safe for them!" I literally said, "Ma'am, move back to whatever city you came from and let us country folk do country things like we've been doing long before you get here." Oh that pissed her off and she took off. lol.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: don k] #8712853 10/19/22 06:28 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by don k
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
It always makes me laugh when some kid from a land rich parent inherits the oil and gas royalties and the fact the land financially sustains itself makes them think they know whats best for ranching and farming…

This argument cuts both ways. There are know it alls, and there are people that try to learn how to do the best thing using multiple methods. There are know it all yuppies and know it all ancient ranchers/farmers, and both can be people who don’t know dork or care to understand about what their land uses have done to the land. I want to learn from people who are real stewards of the land, who know they wont he there for ever and the land needs to be sustainable for generations, not just for their lifetime. For the most part, these people are pretty easy to distinguish from know it alls.

Sad is all the survivors of the dust bowl era are long and gone. Those that reclaimed that land through better soil conversation and selective range management had more knowledge then 99.999 percent of all farmers and ranchers today. Not a knock to us, thankfully we just have never had to live through that type of hard times environmentally or economic.

not really, farming is always evolving. None of them do it they way we did in the '80s. Farmers are far smarter today.

And they have crop insurance to bail them out when mother nature fails them.

Please define bail out? Is it like working for the Airline Union where you can’t loose your job, just disappear and then come back with full backpay, or is it an insurance program with premiums and limited payouts, wonder why it was created….

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: maximus_flavius] #8712859 10/19/22 06:33 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius
Originally Posted by BigfootWallace
Just needs a little dash of snobbery mixed in along with a big heap of denial.

I’m tryin to cut down on snobbery. It’s a “new me”.

confused2

Don't get to carried away with the new nicer persona, we have to have somebody to Beetch about and make us feel better about ourselves rofl

Last edited by Stub; 10/19/22 06:34 PM.

texas flag

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: Stub] #8712866 10/19/22 06:39 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Stub

confused2

Don't get to carried away with the new nicer persona, we have to have somebody to Beetch about and make us feel better about ourselves rofl

Plus we have a fine team of new mods anxious for their first kill laugh

To be determined
Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8712869 10/19/22 06:41 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter

confused2

Still a vote, unfortunately all the vote killers volunteered to get axed. RIP homie’s

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8712871 10/19/22 06:43 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob

confused2

what makes you think we haven't got our first kill? rifle

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8712874 10/19/22 06:46 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
I’ve often wondered how city people come to be so smart & such ranching experts. Then I happened across this article, & it explains it all. Excuse my simple copy pasta.

How city people come to know so much.

First, your born & reared in the city. Maybe not downtown Dallas exactly, but some [censored] suburb of D/FW, or Houston / San Antone, where you can’t get off pavement without driving >30 minutes in any direction.

Your schooling consists of Yankee fairy tales, liberal indoctrination, inflated self-worth, & a sense of entitlement. Mom makes you chicken tendies & brings them to the basement for you, life is good.

Then comes college, where you remain in the big city, maybe work some low paying job inside a building, repeating the same simple mundane tasks repeatedly. “Would you like chocolate sprinkles on your 1/2 soy mocha latte with caramel?”, you repeat 87 times a day.

Your professors are all liberals, mostly from California. You believe whatever they tell you, after all they are SuperSmart, just ask them, they’ll tell ya. You take a buncha stupid classes that has nothing to do with your career field, or even current reality. You rack up 10’s or 100’s of thousands of dollars of debt learning underwater basket weaving, gender studies, & how our country is racists +/- we are all [censored].

Then you get graduated, take a job where you have to commute 30 minutes (if traffic is agreeable that day). Later on, you meet some ol gal, who is as spoilt & piss [censored] ignorant as you, although she is tougher & slightly more masculine.

The years go by, you have a few kids who are spoilt brats, your wife gets fat & “acquires” a herd of cats, while knocking back Zinfandel & prescription pills like they are tic tacs. Your kids play soccer.

You take a new job downtown, adding another 20 minutes to your daily commute. You still have to kiss all the bosses asses, but now a coupla younger employees gotta kiss your [censored], so you feel more important. Your desk is really nice, no need to leave it til 4:45pm 5 days a week.

You are also a sportsball fan. Your local city team is filled with players who hate you, our country & our way of life, but you don’t care, you wear the jersey with their name on it & wear it with pride. You enjoy giving money to delusional liberals who hate you.

Your kids now go off to college, one comes back a non-binary, pansexual transgender & the other a
Democrat. Your not sure which one your more proud of.

But now your empty nesters, & you’ve made enough money sitting on your [censored] that you can now afford to buy a little land somewhere. You’ve always been a ranching & hunting expert, albeit without leaving the city for more than a weekend. You start looking for a place where you can visit once a month or 2, to hone your ranching & hunting expertise. Your gonna need to tell all the locals there how y’all do everything in the city, & what they all they are doing wrong.

So you find 9 acres for sale. Your thinkin, “I could set this up for multiple deer hunters, & make enough off their stupid city asses to make payments”. When they’re done shooting up all the deer In the next few years, you’ll be able to pay it off, & move up to 15 acres, & repeat the process all over again. [censored] your neighbors. Your a [censored] genius, & it’s mostly because of your city upbringing.

More truth to this than many may realize. Also a major contributor to the recent surge in high fences going up by landowners that don’t really like high fences.

I sell ranches for a living and this literally describes none of my Buyers

I can’t speak for the people looking for little subdivided tracts however I’m sure there is some truth to the above referenced type of individual.

However, it’s a pretty broad brush to paint people with.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8712877 10/19/22 06:52 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I’ve often wondered how city people come to be so smart & such ranching experts. Then I happened across this article, & it explains it all. Excuse my simple copy pasta.

First, your born & reared in the city. Maybe not downtown Dallas exactly, but some [censored] suburb of D/FW, or Houston / San Antone, where you can’t get off pavement without driving >30 minutes in any direction.

Your schooling consists of Yankee fairy tales, liberal indoctrination, inflated self-worth, & a sense of entitlement. Mom makes you chicken tendies & brings them to the basement for you, life is good.

Then comes college, where you remain in the big city, maybe work some low paying job inside a building, repeating the same simple mundane tasks repeatedly. “Would you like chocolate sprinkles on your 1/2 soy mocha latte with caramel?”, you repeat 87 times a day.

Your professors are all liberals, mostly from California. You believe whatever they tell you, after all they are SuperSmart, just ask them, they’ll tell ya. You take a buncha stupid classes that has nothing to do with your career field, or even current reality. You rack up 10’s or 100’s of thousands of dollars of debt learning underwater basket weaving, gender studies, & how our country is racists +/- we are all [censored].

Then you get graduated, take a job where you have to commute 30 minutes (if traffic is agreeable that day). Later on, you meet some ol gal, who is as spoilt & piss [censored] ignorant as you, although she is tougher & slightly more masculine.

The years go by, you have a few kids who are spoilt brats, your wife gets fat & “acquires” a herd of cats, while knocking back Zinfandel & prescription pills like they are tic tacs. Your kids play soccer.

You take a new job downtown, adding another 20 minutes to your daily commute. You still have to kiss all the bosses asses, but now a coupla younger employees gotta kiss your [censored], so you feel more important. Your desk is really nice, no need to leave it til 4:45pm 5 days a week.

You are also a sportsball fan. Your local city team is filled with players who hate you, our country & our way of life, but you don’t care, you wear the jersey with their name on it & wear it with pride. You enjoy giving money to delusional liberals who hate you.

Your kids now go off to college, one comes back a non-binary, pansexual transgender & the other a

But now your empty nesters, & you’ve made enough money sitting on your [censored] that you can now afford to buy a little land somewhere. You’ve always been a ranching & hunting expert, albeit without leaving the city for more than a weekend. You start looking for a place where you can visit once a month or 2, to hone your ranching & hunting expertise. Your gonna need to tell all the locals there how y’all do everything in the city, & what they all they are doing wrong.

So you find 9 acres for sale. Your thinkin, “I could set this up for multiple deer hunters, & make enough off their stupid city asses to make payments”. When they’re done shooting up all the deer In the next few years, you’ll be able to pay it off, & move up to 15 acres, & repeat the process all over again. [censored] your neighbors. Your a [censored] genius, & it’s mostly because of your city upbringing.

More truth to this than many may realize. Also a major contributor to the recent surge in high fences going up by landowners that don’t really like high fences.

Wow, you're talking directly to me. Realtors buying and busting up ranches north and south of me into 30-80 acre mini ranches, and they're selling. About 2/3rds of my ranch is HF now due to bad neighbors, talked to my HF guy yesterday to do more, now that these little ranches are all around me. And I never wanted a HF ranch, but if I ever want to see a mature buck again I'm going to have to do it.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: maximus_flavius] #8712879 10/19/22 06:53 PM
glens Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
How can I be an Expert?? Well my Grandad , long gone, raised cattle and I spent a summer with Him when I was 5 back in the late 50's. . Learned how to milk a steer at 5. I'm a Expert. farmer

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: maximus_flavius] #8712881 10/19/22 06:58 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
What are your thoughts on gladiators owning hunting property?

I like gladiator movies......

Do you like spending time in mens locker rooms?

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: maximus_flavius] #8712896 10/19/22 07:16 PM
B
Black02z28 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
lol, what publication did that come out of?

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: bigbob_ftw] #8712910 10/19/22 07:45 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw

confused2

what makes you think we haven't got our first kill? rifle

Below is the last recipient to the WOS Dungeon which occurred before the new hit squad were deputized grin

The name has been left out to protect the innocent who was not tried in a court of nonsense by his peers roflmao

- 2 weeks - Rule 11- inappropriate comment - 09/21/22

texas flag

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: maximus_flavius] #8712967 10/19/22 09:28 PM
Opening Day Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Or they buy 5 acres and call it a ranch.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: Opening Day] #8712975 10/19/22 09:37 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Opening Day

What qualifies as a ranch?

To be determined
Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: maximus_flavius] #8712977 10/19/22 09:40 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
^^^^^ I find this humorous too. My son had a friend that would invite him to go to the ranch with him. I was visiting with the dad one day and he kept talking about the ranch. I asked him how many acres they had and he proudly told me 4.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: maximus_flavius] #8712981 10/19/22 09:43 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I live on 5 acres and have two feeders with deer, chickens, and ducks on it. It's a RANCH by gawd! grin

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: maximus_flavius] #8712982 10/19/22 09:45 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
One upper.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: CoyoteHill] #8713036 10/19/22 10:51 PM
T
TPACK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by CoyoteHill
I was driving one morning out to my barn to feed horses in my flat bed one ton Ford F350 with two of my dogs on the back. This lady comes up behind me, flashing her lights. I pulled over and she pulls up and yells, "That's not safe!" I said, Ma'am? She goes, "Those dogs could fall off. That's not safe for them!" I literally said, "Ma'am, move back to whatever city you came from and let us country folk do country things like we've been doing long before you get here." Oh that pissed her off and she took off. lol.

I don`t have a dog in this race, but it reminded me when I was on a country road (caliche) near Priddy going to my lease and a 1 ton flatbed was approaching me. He had his head up his a$$ and almost hit me. At the last minute he finally looked from his phone and swerved to the bar ditch. His dog flew off the back of the truck and I had to stop to keep from running over him. When the dog finally stopped rolling in front of me, he got up and ran for the truck. The guy stopped for the dog and the dog jumped up on the flatbed. The guy went on like nothing had happened. He were probably from Big D. LOL

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8713043 10/19/22 11:01 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob

In my mind it involves 300 acres min.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: Stompy] #8713051 10/19/22 11:20 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Stompy

Wow, you're talking directly to me. Realtors buying and busting up ranches north and south of me into 30-80 acre mini ranches, and they're selling. About 2/3rds of my ranch is HF now due to bad neighbors, talked to my HF guy yesterday to do more, now that these little ranches are all around me. And I never wanted a HF ranch, but if I ever want to see a mature buck again I'm going to have to do it.

Yup, happening all over Stompy and it is a shame. I think ol max is pushing buttons. Land owners run the gamut. From the guy that buys property and uses it up and moves on to the next one, to the guy that leaves a legacy…. Very seldom do those two get along.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 10/19/22 11:50 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8713077 10/20/22 12:05 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Stompy

Yup, happening all over Stompy and it is a shame. I think ol max is pushing buttons. Land owners run the gamut. From the guy that buys property and used it and moved on to the next one to the guy that leaves a legacy….

What's a real shame is what "Green Energy" is doing to our natural resources. I was blessed to finally get on a new lease this year with a GREAT group of like minded individuals, several whom are on this forum. A solar company has been buying thousands of acres around the ranch for years, dozing every inch of it, and putting in a sea of solar panels. Well, we just found out that our lease is being sold to these guys too and we're getting the boot soon. 5,400 acre deer lease is about to be totally cleared of all native habitat and wildlife to add on to this solar farm. Wonder how many fawns are gonna die when they start bull dozing....it's sickening to think about. I have no real reason to complain because this is my first year on the place and everything was already set up for me, which is a first. There are guys that have been on this lease for decades and have a LOT invested in it. Can only imagine how they feel. Our government will stop a border wall from being built over some lizard etc, but won't hesitate to wipe out 5,400 acres and kill Lord only knows how much wildlife in the name of "Green Energy". What a freakin' scam.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: maximus_flavius] #8713081 10/20/22 12:08 AM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Talking about Karen’s and dogs. We were at broken bow and my lab was swimming. It went over the rope of the swimming area with its front legs but the back legs aren’t designed the same so she hung up. I’m watching I hear a woman
“your dogs stuck”
“I’m very aware”
“You’re not moving”

I’m not sure if she pictures a baywatch scene or what. But a few seconds later my dog finishes crossing the rope. I just turned and smiled. Not even sure who was being a nag. Wife told me it was the beached whale.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8713096 10/20/22 12:23 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

If it can produce an agriculture or wildlife product at least enough to pay for itself every year. I dare say not in city limits, but county only. But I know better than to put that requirement on it.

I cannot put a minimum acreage number on it.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: J.G.] #8713100 10/20/22 12:27 AM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by J.G.

If it can produce an agriculture or wildlife product at least enough to pay for itself every year. I dare say not in city limits, but county only. But I know better than to put that requirement on it.

I cannot put a minimum acreage number on it.

I run a 5 acre chigger ranch

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? [Re: maximus_flavius] #8713101 10/20/22 12:28 AM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Sad, but at some point, Texas will just be a giant subdivision.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide