Texas Hunting Forum

Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts?

Posted By: maximus_flavius

Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 02:28 PM

I’ve often wondered how city people come to be so smart & such ranching experts. Then I happened across this article, & it explains it all. Excuse my simple copy pasta.

How city people come to know so much.

First, your born & reared in the city. Maybe not downtown Dallas exactly, but some [censored] suburb of D/FW, or Houston / San Antone, where you can’t get off pavement without driving >30 minutes in any direction.

Your schooling consists of Yankee fairy tales, liberal indoctrination, inflated self-worth, & a sense of entitlement. Mom makes you chicken tendies & brings them to the basement for you, life is good.

Then comes college, where you remain in the big city, maybe work some low paying job inside a building, repeating the same simple mundane tasks repeatedly. “Would you like chocolate sprinkles on your 1/2 soy mocha latte with caramel?”, you repeat 87 times a day.

Your professors are all liberals, mostly from California. You believe whatever they tell you, after all they are SuperSmart, just ask them, they’ll tell ya. You take a buncha stupid classes that has nothing to do with your career field, or even current reality. You rack up 10’s or 100’s of thousands of dollars of debt learning underwater basket weaving, gender studies, & how our country is racists +/- we are all [censored].

Then you get graduated, take a job where you have to commute 30 minutes (if traffic is agreeable that day). Later on, you meet some ol gal, who is as spoilt & piss [censored] ignorant as you, although she is tougher & slightly more masculine.

The years go by, you have a few kids who are spoilt brats, your wife gets fat & “acquires” a herd of cats, while knocking back Zinfandel & prescription pills like they are tic tacs. Your kids play soccer.

You take a new job downtown, adding another 20 minutes to your daily commute. You still have to kiss all the bosses asses, but now a coupla younger employees gotta kiss your [censored], so you feel more important. Your desk is really nice, no need to leave it til 4:45pm 5 days a week.

You are also a sportsball fan. Your local city team is filled with players who hate you, our country & our way of life, but you don’t care, you wear the jersey with their name on it & wear it with pride. You enjoy giving money to delusional liberals who hate you.

Your kids now go off to college, one comes back a non-binary, pansexual transgender & the other a
Democrat. Your not sure which one your more proud of.

But now your empty nesters, & you’ve made enough money sitting on your [censored] that you can now afford to buy a little land somewhere. You’ve always been a ranching & hunting expert, albeit without leaving the city for more than a weekend. You start looking for a place where you can visit once a month or 2, to hone your ranching & hunting expertise. Your gonna need to tell all the locals there how y’all do everything in the city, & what they all they are doing wrong.

So you find 9 acres for sale. Your thinkin, “I could set this up for multiple deer hunters, & make enough off their stupid city asses to make payments”. When they’re done shooting up all the deer In the next few years, you’ll be able to pay it off, & move up to 15 acres, & repeat the process all over again. [censored] your neighbors. Your a [censored] genius, & it’s mostly because of your city upbringing.
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 02:36 PM

Author: BigfootWallace
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Gringo Bling

No doubt!
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 02:47 PM

Lol
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Gringo Bling

His trolling on the subject is pretty entertaining once you step back and decide to just read everyone’s responses.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 03:52 PM

What are your thoughts on gladiators owning hunting property?

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter

How did they acquire it?
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 04:38 PM

Sounds like the Cali's that are moving in.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by maximus_flavius
I’ve often wondered how city people come to be so smart & such ranching experts. Then I happened across this article, & it explains it all. Excuse my simple copy pasta.

First, your born & reared in the city. Maybe not downtown Dallas exactly, but some [censored] suburb of D/FW, or Houston / San Antone, where you can’t get off pavement without driving >30 minutes in any direction.

Your schooling consists of Yankee fairy tales, liberal indoctrination, inflated self-worth, & a sense of entitlement. Mom makes you chicken tendies & brings them to the basement for you, life is good.

Then comes college, where you remain in the big city, maybe work some low paying job inside a building, repeating the same simple mundane tasks repeatedly. “Would you like chocolate sprinkles on your 1/2 soy mocha latte with caramel?”, you repeat 87 times a day.

Your professors are all liberals, mostly from California. You believe whatever they tell you, after all they are SuperSmart, just ask them, they’ll tell ya. You take a buncha stupid classes that has nothing to do with your career field, or even current reality. You rack up 10’s or 100’s of thousands of dollars of debt learning underwater basket weaving, gender studies, & how our country is racists +/- we are all [censored].

Then you get graduated, take a job where you have to commute 30 minutes (if traffic is agreeable that day). Later on, you meet some ol gal, who is as spoilt & piss [censored] ignorant as you, although she is tougher & slightly more masculine.

The years go by, you have a few kids who are spoilt brats, your wife gets fat & “acquires” a herd of cats, while knocking back Zinfandel & prescription pills like they are tic tacs. Your kids play soccer.

You take a new job downtown, adding another 20 minutes to your daily commute. You still have to kiss all the bosses asses, but now a coupla younger employees gotta kiss your [censored], so you feel more important. Your desk is really nice, no need to leave it til 4:45pm 5 days a week.

You are also a sportsball fan. Your local city team is filled with players who hate you, our country & our way of life, but you don’t care, you wear the jersey with their name on it & wear it with pride. You enjoy giving money to delusional liberals who hate you.

Your kids now go off to college, one comes back a non-binary, pansexual transgender & the other a

But now your empty nesters, & you’ve made enough money sitting on your [censored] that you can now afford to buy a little land somewhere. You’ve always been a ranching & hunting expert, albeit without leaving the city for more than a weekend. You start looking for a place where you can visit once a month or 2, to hone your ranching & hunting expertise. Your gonna need to tell all the locals there how y’all do everything in the city, & what they all they are doing wrong.

So you find 9 acres for sale. Your thinkin, “I could set this up for multiple deer hunters, & make enough off their stupid city asses to make payments”. When they’re done shooting up all the deer In the next few years, you’ll be able to pay it off, & move up to 15 acres, & repeat the process all over again. [censored] your neighbors. Your a [censored] genius, & it’s mostly because of your city upbringing.

More truth to this than many may realize. Also a major contributor to the recent surge in high fences going up by landowners that don’t really like high fences.
Posted By: BigfootWallace

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 05:12 PM

Pretty good description of them. Just needs a little dash of snobbery mixed in along with a big heap of denial.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 05:17 PM

Here is BigFootWallace downtown, A real up and coming area that Santos is;

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

How did they acquire it?

Through superior gladiating.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by BigfootWallace
Pretty good description of them. Just needs a little dash of snobbery mixed in along with a big heap of denial.

Could be always be worse, could be graduates of a local farm and ranch program. Fortunately they normally come back to being normal about a decade later after they realize some of the old timers had it figured out.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 05:35 PM

"Country" people are funny.
Posted By: BigfootWallace

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by RedRanger
Here is BigFootWallace downtown, A real up and coming area that Santos is;

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Man made buildings don't matter to some, it's the land. You obviously will never understand that. Here is a pic of glorious Frisco, I think I can smell the curry from here.....
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 05:52 PM

It always makes me laugh when some kid from a land rich parent inherits the oil and gas royalties and the fact the land financially sustains itself makes them think they know whats best for ranching and farming…

This argument cuts both ways. There are know it alls, and there are people that try to learn how to do the best thing using multiple methods. There are know it all yuppies and know it all ancient ranchers/farmers, and both can be people who don’t know dork or care to understand about what their land uses have done to the land. I want to learn from people who are real stewards of the land, who know they wont he there for ever and the land needs to be sustainable for generations, not just for their lifetime. For the most part, these people are pretty easy to distinguish from know it alls.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
It always makes me laugh when some kid from a land rich parent inherits the oil and gas royalties and the fact the land financially sustains itself makes them think they know whats best for ranching and farming…

This argument cuts both ways. There are know it alls, and there are people that try to learn how to do the best thing using multiple methods. There are know it all yuppies and know it all ancient ranchers/farmers, and both can be people who don’t know dork or care to understand about what their land uses have done to the land. I want to learn from people who are real stewards of the land, who know they wont he there for ever and the land needs to be sustainable for generations, not just for their lifetime. For the most part, these people are pretty easy to distinguish from know it alls.

+1

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 06:04 PM

Sad is all the survivors of the dust bowl era are long and gone. Those that reclaimed that land through better soil conversation and selective range management had more knowledge then 99.999 percent of all farmers and ranchers today. Not a knock to us, thankfully we just have never had to live through that type of hard times environmentally or economic.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 06:07 PM

How did they acquire it?

Not all of them were slaves. Some were like the sports figures of today.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 06:07 PM

Sad is all the survivors of the dust bowl era are long and gone. Those that reclaimed that land through better soil conversation and selective range management had more knowledge then 99.999 percent of all farmers and ranchers today. Not a knock to us, thankfully we just have never had to live through that type of hard times environmentally or economic.

not really, farming is always evolving. None of them do it they way we did in the '80s. Farmers are far smarter today.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 06:13 PM

Just needs a little dash of snobbery mixed in along with a big heap of denial.

I’m tryin to cut down on snobbery. It’s a “new me”.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 06:14 PM

So you find 9 acres for sale.

To heck with that.

1. Find a good piece of hunting property currently under hunting lease. Sleuth the forums, grab the geolocation in photos, aerial maps, etc.

2. Pay a landman on the side or go find the property owner yourself

3. Offer quite a bit more to lease the property for hunting

4. If it's brown it's down. Invite your friends. Maybe 2 seasons worth if possible?

5. Go to step 1

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 06:17 PM

I like gladiator movies......
Posted By: don k

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw

not really, farming is always evolving. None of them do it they way we did in the '80s. Farmers are far smarter today.

And they have crop insurance to bail them out when mother nature fails them.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 06:19 PM

Machinery technology is evolving. Current Soil conservation, moisture retention and techniques all started with them. We are just more efficient on a grander scale because of their trial and errors.

Perfect example how we screw [censored] up. CRP program is no longer about soil and water conservation but one based on wildlife and point totals with a lessoning focus on water and soil.
Posted By: CoyoteHill

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 06:27 PM

I was driving one morning out to my barn to feed horses in my flat bed one ton Ford F350 with two of my dogs on the back. This lady comes up behind me, flashing her lights. I pulled over and she pulls up and yells, "That's not safe!" I said, Ma'am? She goes, "Those dogs could fall off. That's not safe for them!" I literally said, "Ma'am, move back to whatever city you came from and let us country folk do country things like we've been doing long before you get here." Oh that pissed her off and she took off. lol.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by don k

And they have crop insurance to bail them out when mother nature fails them.

Please define bail out? Is it like working for the Airline Union where you can’t loose your job, just disappear and then come back with full backpay, or is it an insurance program with premiums and limited payouts, wonder why it was created….
Posted By: Stub

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 06:33 PM

confused2

Don't get to carried away with the new nicer persona, we have to have somebody to Beetch about and make us feel better about ourselves rofl

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Stub

confused2

Don't get to carried away with the new nicer persona, we have to have somebody to Beetch about and make us feel better about ourselves rofl

Plus we have a fine team of new mods anxious for their first kill laugh

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 06:41 PM

confused2

Still a vote, unfortunately all the vote killers volunteered to get axed. RIP homie’s

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 06:43 PM

confused2

what makes you think we haven't got our first kill? rifle
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Smokey Bear

More truth to this than many may realize. Also a major contributor to the recent surge in high fences going up by landowners that don’t really like high fences.

I sell ranches for a living and this literally describes none of my Buyers

I can’t speak for the people looking for little subdivided tracts however I’m sure there is some truth to the above referenced type of individual.

However, it’s a pretty broad brush to paint people with.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 06:52 PM

Wow, you're talking directly to me. Realtors buying and busting up ranches north and south of me into 30-80 acre mini ranches, and they're selling. About 2/3rds of my ranch is HF now due to bad neighbors, talked to my HF guy yesterday to do more, now that these little ranches are all around me. And I never wanted a HF ranch, but if I ever want to see a mature buck again I'm going to have to do it.
Posted By: glens

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 06:53 PM

How can I be an Expert?? Well my Grandad , long gone, raised cattle and I spent a summer with Him when I was 5 back in the late 50's. . Learned how to milk a steer at 5. I'm a Expert. farmer
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 06:58 PM

I like gladiator movies......

Do you like spending time in mens locker rooms?
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 07:16 PM

lol, what publication did that come out of?

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 07:45 PM

confused2

what makes you think we haven't got our first kill? rifle

Below is the last recipient to the WOS Dungeon which occurred before the new hit squad were deputized grin

The name has been left out to protect the innocent who was not tried in a court of nonsense by his peers roflmao

- 2 weeks - Rule 11- inappropriate comment - 09/21/22
Posted By: Opening Day

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 09:28 PM

Or they buy 5 acres and call it a ranch.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Opening Day

What qualifies as a ranch?
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 09:40 PM

^^^^^ I find this humorous too. My son had a friend that would invite him to go to the ranch with him. I was visiting with the dad one day and he kept talking about the ranch. I asked him how many acres they had and he proudly told me 4.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 09:43 PM

I live on 5 acres and have two feeders with deer, chickens, and ducks on it. It's a RANCH by gawd! grin

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 09:45 PM

One upper.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by CoyoteHill
I was driving one morning out to my barn to feed horses in my flat bed one ton Ford F350 with two of my dogs on the back. This lady comes up behind me, flashing her lights. I pulled over and she pulls up and yells, "That's not safe!" I said, Ma'am? She goes, "Those dogs could fall off. That's not safe for them!" I literally said, "Ma'am, move back to whatever city you came from and let us country folk do country things like we've been doing long before you get here." Oh that pissed her off and she took off. lol.

I don`t have a dog in this race, but it reminded me when I was on a country road (caliche) near Priddy going to my lease and a 1 ton flatbed was approaching me. He had his head up his a$$ and almost hit me. At the last minute he finally looked from his phone and swerved to the bar ditch. His dog flew off the back of the truck and I had to stop to keep from running over him. When the dog finally stopped rolling in front of me, he got up and ran for the truck. The guy stopped for the dog and the dog jumped up on the flatbed. The guy went on like nothing had happened. He were probably from Big D. LOL

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 11:01 PM

In my mind it involves 300 acres min.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/19/22 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Stompy

Wow, you're talking directly to me. Realtors buying and busting up ranches north and south of me into 30-80 acre mini ranches, and they're selling. About 2/3rds of my ranch is HF now due to bad neighbors, talked to my HF guy yesterday to do more, now that these little ranches are all around me. And I never wanted a HF ranch, but if I ever want to see a mature buck again I'm going to have to do it.

Yup, happening all over Stompy and it is a shame. I think ol max is pushing buttons. Land owners run the gamut. From the guy that buys property and uses it up and moves on to the next one, to the guy that leaves a legacy…. Very seldom do those two get along.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 12:05 AM

Yup, happening all over Stompy and it is a shame. I think ol max is pushing buttons. Land owners run the gamut. From the guy that buys property and used it and moved on to the next one to the guy that leaves a legacy….

What's a real shame is what "Green Energy" is doing to our natural resources. I was blessed to finally get on a new lease this year with a GREAT group of like minded individuals, several whom are on this forum. A solar company has been buying thousands of acres around the ranch for years, dozing every inch of it, and putting in a sea of solar panels. Well, we just found out that our lease is being sold to these guys too and we're getting the boot soon. 5,400 acre deer lease is about to be totally cleared of all native habitat and wildlife to add on to this solar farm. Wonder how many fawns are gonna die when they start bull dozing....it's sickening to think about. I have no real reason to complain because this is my first year on the place and everything was already set up for me, which is a first. There are guys that have been on this lease for decades and have a LOT invested in it. Can only imagine how they feel. Our government will stop a border wall from being built over some lizard etc, but won't hesitate to wipe out 5,400 acres and kill Lord only knows how much wildlife in the name of "Green Energy". What a freakin' scam.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 12:08 AM

Talking about Karen’s and dogs. We were at broken bow and my lab was swimming. It went over the rope of the swimming area with its front legs but the back legs aren’t designed the same so she hung up. I’m watching I hear a woman
“your dogs stuck”
“I’m very aware”
“You’re not moving”

I’m not sure if she pictures a baywatch scene or what. But a few seconds later my dog finishes crossing the rope. I just turned and smiled. Not even sure who was being a nag. Wife told me it was the beached whale.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 12:23 AM

If it can produce an agriculture or wildlife product at least enough to pay for itself every year. I dare say not in city limits, but county only. But I know better than to put that requirement on it.

I cannot put a minimum acreage number on it.
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by J.G.

If it can produce an agriculture or wildlife product at least enough to pay for itself every year. I dare say not in city limits, but county only. But I know better than to put that requirement on it.

I run a 5 acre chigger ranch

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 12:28 AM

Sad, but at some point, Texas will just be a giant subdivision.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 12:33 AM

What's a real shame is what "Green Energy" is doing to our natural resources. I was blessed to finally get on a new lease this year with a GREAT group of like minded individuals, several whom are on this forum. A solar company has been buying thousands of acres around the ranch for years, dozing every inch of it, and putting in a sea of solar panels. Well, we just found out that our lease is being sold to these guys too and we're getting the boot soon. 5,400 acre deer lease is about to be totally cleared of all native habitat and wildlife to add on to this solar farm. Wonder how many fawns are gonna die when they start bull dozing....it's sickening to think about. I have no real reason to complain because this is my first year on the place and everything was already set up for me, which is a first. There are guys that have been on this lease for decades and have a LOT invested in it. Can only imagine how they feel. Our government will stop a border wall from being built over some lizard etc, but won't hesitate to wipe out 5,400 acres and kill Lord only knows how much wildlife in the name of "Green Energy". What a freakin' scam.[/quote]
Well that sucks!

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85

I can’t speak for the people looking for little subdivided tracts however I’m sure there is some truth to the above referenced type of individual.

Yes it is a broad brush and is a recurring thorn in my side.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 12:46 AM

I agree - guess what? The world changes every day - to put every person who buys some land in the same bucket is silly - the split up tracts of 3-5 acres then yes the owners could be clueless - but overall whining about how the world is today does no good IMO - deal with it because you are not going to change it

I am native Texan and my family has worked the land for well over a hundred years - I grew up that way and have owned properties and know what I am doing on a piece of ground - but I also know that times change and am not going to fret over the changes
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 12:52 AM

It's like the guy that bought my place in Gunter he's why in and up and over his A*s. Doesn't have a clue as to what he's doing and the place showes it.
It takes tools, equipment, knowledge, common sense and a work ethic way beyond the common man to be a farmer/rancher.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 12:54 AM

I stand by my post.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 01:07 AM

I think there is an App for that now.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 01:24 AM

Folks who have 25,000 acres don't think 3000 acres qualifies. Folks who have 3000 don't think 325 qualifies either and so on and so on. This thread has made me laugh at least.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by flintknapper

I think there is an App for that now.

I blame the show Yellowstone

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

What's a real shame is what "Green Energy" is doing to our natural resources. I was blessed to finally get on a new lease this year with a GREAT group of like minded individuals, several whom are on this forum. A solar company has been buying thousands of acres around the ranch for years, dozing every inch of it, and putting in a sea of solar panels. Well, we just found out that our lease is being sold to these guys too and we're getting the boot soon. 5,400 acre deer lease is about to be totally cleared of all native habitat and wildlife to add on to this solar farm. Wonder how many fawns are gonna die when they start bull dozing....it's sickening to think about. I have no real reason to complain because this is my first year on the place and everything was already set up for me, which is a first. There are guys that have been on this lease for decades and have a LOT invested in it. Can only imagine how they feel. Our government will stop a border wall from being built over some lizard etc, but won't hesitate to wipe out 5,400 acres and kill Lord only knows how much wildlife in the name of "Green Energy". What a freakin' scam.

Well that sucks![/quote]

What is happening to the countryside with solar farms and wind farms is a crime against nature.

I cannot stand wind farms and think even less of solar farms.

True conservationists have to speak up, as this is a total destruction of the land
Posted By: Guy

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 01:39 AM

This is a big whiner post. Yeah this planet is getting over populated, it sucks.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

Folks who have 25,000 acres don't think 3000 acres qualifies. Folks who have 3000 don't think 325 qualifies either and so on and so on. This thread has made me laugh at least.

At one time every 25k ranch started with 3k and every 3k ranch started with 325, etc. unfortunately days of the big ranches are dying, every now and then you do see some forward thinking owners but at the end of day there is more money selling it then working it. Wether you measure your ranch in acres or section if you turn a piece of a living off it, it’s a ranch/farm.

Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 01:51 AM

I guess I have to come to the THF and get permission to buy my piece of the American dream. Eff that, I figured out how to do chit on my own in the past, owning land no matter the size will be no different. Falling down, making mistakes are part of the journey. Snivelers and whiners...quit your _itchin.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 01:54 AM

Well that sucks!

What is happening to the countryside with solar farms and wind farms is a crime against nature.

True conservationists have to speak up, as this is a total destruction of the land

What if that ranch took that solar lease money and bought another ranch and higher acreage. It’s hard to tell a rancher not to turn a living off his ranch while being able to expand his holdings at same time. That’s a surface rights rarity in todays age. Green is a scam but it’s easy for Eagle Ford and STX ranch owners to point fingers at WTX Solar and wind guys with their pinky’s up in the air with $100 barrel mail box money.

I don’t fault the ranch at all for signing that solar lease, and I’m on that lease. That ranch had to sell 70% of stock sue to drought

I tried to do the exact same thing on my own place. unfortunately solar backed out when trump got elected. Had some other land picked out that was perfect!!

There isn’t a rancher or farmer in US making guaranteed surface rights money that solar brings in. That’s truth of it. All those leases have reclamation bonds so risk really isnt that high.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 02:02 AM

Bobo is right and that deal sucks. But they got payed with our tax dollars in that green new deal that is [censored]. It is absolute [censored].

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by HoneyBeez
Bobo is right and that deal sucks. But they got payed with our tax dollars in that green new deal that is [censored]. It is absolute [censored].

I really don’t want to be right, but I’d rather my money go to ranchers then crack pipes, baby factories and sex changes.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Paluxy

I run a 5 acre chigger ranch

You know how many burgers and xxl fountain Dublin DP’s I’ve had at the <5 acre one with a gas pump? A lot!!!! Miss that place

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 02:21 AM

Well that sucks!

What if that ranch took that solar lease money and bought another ranch and higher acreage. It’s hard to tell a rancher not to turn a living off his ranch while being able to expand his holdings at same time. That’s a surface rights rarity in todays age. Green is a scam but it’s easy for Eagle Ford and STX ranch owners to point fingers at WTX Solar and wind guys with their pinky’s up in the air with $100 barrel mail box money.

I don’t fault the ranch at all for signing that solar lease, and I’m on that lease. That ranch had to sell 70% of stock sue to drought

I tried to do the exact same thing on my own place. unfortunately solar backed out when trump got elected. Had some other land picked out that was perfect!!

There isn’t a rancher or farmer in US making guaranteed surface rights money that solar brings in. That’s truth of it. All those leases have reclamation bonds so risk really isnt that high.

What county was the lost lease in?
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by HoneyBeez

I really don’t want to be right, but I’d rather my money go to ranchers then crack pipes, baby factories and sex changes.

Solar panels and wind energy is all you forgot. Baby factory's, Biden pipez and who dats is who wants some more of that .Gov

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 02:35 AM

You know how many burgers and xxl fountain Dublin DP’s I’ve had at the <5 acre one with a gas pump? A lot!!!! Miss that place

Yes sir, and ethanol free gas!

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 02:54 AM

Well that sucks!

I’m not faulting the rancher, I’m faulting the system that put them into existence in the first place.

No doubt solar pays well, and a person has to do what they have to do, but it’s a horrible use of a natural resource.

If the government subsidized the beef and livestock industry like they do green energy it would be a non issue. Instead we are told cow farts are bad but xeriscaping a property to erect foreign made solar panels to power homes hundred of miles away is good.

Make people put solar panels on their roofs and the problem is solved! But Joe and Susie suburb won’t be having any of that

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 03:08 AM

Well that sucks!

What county was the lost lease in?

it will be the largest solar farm in the US at 13-17 sections, if they stop at that. It currently is about 3 section of panels on surrounding land.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by The Dude Abides
I guess I have to come to the THF and get permission to buy my piece of the American dream. Eff that, I figured out how to do chit on my own in the past, owning land no matter the size will be no different. Falling down, making mistakes are part of the journey. Snivelers and whiners...quit your _itchin.

You say your from Frisco, eh?
Posted By: Payne

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 04:16 AM

Mammoth? Bobo

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 04:42 AM

It used to ranchish.
Posted By: machinist

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 04:55 AM

Did you see Planet of the Apes. It maybe true before too long

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 10:27 AM

Nope

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by machinist
Did you see Planet of the Apes. It maybe true before too long

^ watches way to much TV

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 11:49 AM

Nope

Right, I’m sure here’s lotsa ranching experts in Frisco.

Ok, you just live there now, but now tell us what suburb you grew up in.

A lot of times, city people will name off some random suburb of some big city, like that makes a difference.

Frisco is just north Dallas. If your in Dallas county, your in Dallas, no need to try & sound fancy.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 12:10 PM

Nope

A lot of times, city people will name off some random suburb of some big city, like that makes a difference.

Frisco is just north Dallas. If your in Dallas county, your in Dallas, no need to try & sound fancy.

I live in Frisco, I have a 5000 acres ranch sitting about 1/4 mile from me. Not alot of ranches left in the area due to land selling for about 1.5 million per acres in the area. But still some ranches, if you have 10 acres you can hunt with a shotgun inside city limits and 50 acres will let you use rifle inside city limits from what I remember.

Sadly the hunting spots are drying up.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 12:34 PM

I’m a BIG believer in real estate investment.

I bought my 133 acre place 38 years ago for $408 per acre. Put cows on it to get an Ag exemption. Spent a lot of time building and fixing fences. It’s considered recreational property due to being heavily forested. I don’t live there. Now have been offered $9,000 per acre. Haven’t had to lease a hunting spot since.

Later I bought adjoining 70 acres but don’t remember how much I paid. Ran some cows there also. Kept it about 5 years and sold it for enough to pay off everything I owed including my home in Hurst and a couple of rentals. Put my original down payment and payments in the bank.

Both places have had Ag exemptions or I couldn’t have afforded them. When the Wildlife exemption became available I sold the cows and started caring for everything from chiggers to deer and pigs.

When wife and I married we kept the houses, rented them out, and bought our own home. Renters have paid them off. We are going to sell one of them soon. DFW real estate has doubled+ in the last 25 years. That’s going to create a tax hickey due to having to recapture the depreciation.

I would like to say that our 401K’s have done as well. They haven’t because the stock market hasn’t kept up with either inflation or real estate.

Thoughts. Pay attention to opportunities but also take advantage of 401K’s and/or other pension plans. Own your own home. Don’t rent. Buy real estate at someone else’s expense when possible. Don’t have kids until you can afford them.

I’m not real smart and if I can do it, anybody can. Be an opportunist.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 12:41 PM

Well that sucks!

I’m not faulting the rancher, I’m faulting the system that put them into existence in the first place.

No doubt solar pays well, and a person has to do what they have to do, but it’s a horrible use of a natural resource.

If the government subsidized the beef and livestock industry like they do green energy it would be a non issue. Instead we are told cow farts are bad but xeriscaping a property to erect foreign made solar panels to power homes hundred of miles away is good.

Make people put solar panels on their roofs and the problem is solved! But Joe and Susie suburb won’t be having any of that

Conservationists have little to no influence in this. It is done in the name of feeding the needs of the city dwellers. Pushed by politicians kept in office by the voting power of city dwellers with little or no concern for land or habitat. The only way it will be stymied is for the majority of the city dwelling ranch experts in their concrete jungle to battle it at the polls. Fact.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 12:43 PM

Nope

I am probably one of many people he would call asking for farm and ranch advice on equipment and methodology. And being the smart man he is, I would not bet against him.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
I’m a BIG believer in real estate investment.

I bought my 133 acre place 38 years ago for $408 per acre. Put cows on it to get an Ag exemption. Spent a lot of time building and fixing fences. It’s considered recreational property due to being heavily forested. I don’t live there. Now have been offered $9,000 per acre. Haven’t had to lease a hunting spot since.

Later I bought adjoining 70 acres but don’t remember how much I paid. Ran some cows there also. Kept it about 5 years and sold it for enough to pay off everything I owed including my home in Hurst and a couple of rentals. Put my original down payment and payments in the bank.

Both places have had Ag exemptions or I couldn’t have afforded them. When the Wildlife exemption became available I sold the cows and started caring for everything from chiggers to deer and pigs.

When wife and I married we kept the houses, rented them out, and bought our own home. Renters have paid them off. We are going to sell one of them soon. DFW real estate has doubled+ in the last 25 years. That’s going to create a tax hickey due to having to recapture the depreciation.

I would like to say that our 401K’s have done as well. They haven’t because the stock market hasn’t kept up with either inflation or real estate.

Thoughts. Pay attention to opportunities but also take advantage of 401K’s and/or other pension plans. Own your own home. Don’t rent. Buy real estate at someone else’s expense when possible. Don’t have kids until you can afford them.

I’m not real smart and if I can do it, anybody can. Be an opportunist.

God led me to make the right decisions over the last 20 years.

Bought two acres, house and shop in 2002, in Melissa.

Bought 70 acres of 60% grass, and 40% trees for $2k an acre in 2013.

Build everything now standing on that 70 myself. Shop, house fences, driveway, all of it.

Sold Melissa 11 months ago.

Wrote a check to pay off everything but the house. The land is now worth $6k an acre.

So I totally agree with you.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 12:56 PM

Nope

I live in Frisco because I need to be close to a major airport, I'm not retired yet.

I have never owned a large parcel of land but currently looking at three property's (not in Frisco) between 80-100 acres. I ironically two of the land owners are selling because they want to move to the city (suburbs). confused2

Of course I have NO IDEA what I'm doing when it comes to "ranching" but I certainly know a plethora of people and land owners that do and I would not hesitate to reach out to anyone of them should I need help.

I'm not really buying land to "ranch" anyway. When I do retire, I want my own fishing hole, nice gun range, picture perfect sun sets and peace and quiet.

Carry on.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 01:29 PM

Nope

Frisco is Collin and Denton County

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Payne
Mammoth? Bobo

Speculation is it will be bigger, current lease acreage they have right now says it will be close. The biggest limiting factor is if they can get the transmission line capacity. I’ve heard both so we will see.

It’s interesting seeing them bull doze and clear of all mesquites, back to the way it probably was in the 1700’s.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 02:09 PM

I live in Frisco because I need to be close to a major airport, I'm not retired yet.

I have never owned a large parcel of land but currently looking at three property's (not in Frisco) between 80-100 acres. I ironically two of the land owners are selling because they want to move to the city (suburbs). confused2

Of course I have NO IDEA what I'm doing when it comes to "ranching" but I certainly know a plethora of people and land owners that do and I would not hesitate to reach out to anyone of them should I need help.

I'm not really buying land to "ranch" anyway. When I do retire, I want my own fishing hole, nice gun range, picture perfect sun sets and peace and quiet.

Carry on.

Just know unless you have a huge piece of land living in the country doesn’t get you away from everything. We bought our place 2 years ago. Since a solar farm went in 2 properties down, a cell tower went in along our east fence and the neighbor across the county roads dumb arse son that knocked up his girlfriend is living in a travel trailer across from my mailbox. I guess I’m no peach either, my neighbors think I shoot too much.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy

Carry on.

Just know unless you have a huge piece of land living in the country doesn’t get you away from everything. We bought our place 2 years ago. Since a solar farm went in 2 properties down, a cell tower went in along our east fence and the neighbor across the county roads dumb arse son that knocked up his girlfriend is living in a travel trailer across from my mailbox. I guess I’m no peach either, my neighbors think I shoot too much.

Yep, if youre moving to get "out", then you better move "way" out.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 03:34 PM

I too bought a place and know zero about ranching. I think being able to say the words "I don't know" about a subject is actually a sign of strength and self-confidence. 'Met many an arrogant S.O.B. that can't admit he doesn't know something, even if the subject is nuclear physics. Anyhow, no cows, no grass lease, just the wildlife thing. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. The last place, 163 acres, in south Gillespie County, we had for 50 years.

Luckily, the guy that had this place before me for 20 years didn't do jack squat nor did he spend a dime on it. So, as long as I don't catch the place on fire, anything I attempt is actually improving the place.

It's great that some folks have land that's been in the family for 4,5,6 generations. However, in some circumstances, it just shows a lack of imagination by the group and doesn't justify looking down on others. bolt

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
I too bought a place and know zero about ranching. I think being able to say the words "I don't know" about a subject is actually a sign of strength and self-confidence. 'Met many an arrogant S.O.B. that can't admit he doesn't know something, even if the subject is nuclear physics. Anyhow, no cows, no grass lease, just the wildlife thing. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. The last place, 163 acres, in south Gillespie County, we had for 50 years.

Luckily, the guy that had this place before me for 20 years didn't do jack squat nor did he spend a dime on it. So, as long as I don't catch the place on fire, anything I attempt is actually improving the place.

It's great that some folks have land that's been in the family for 4,5,6 generations. However, in some circumstances, it just shows a lack of imagination by the group and doesn't justify looking down on others. bolt

I’ve heard that a little fire occasionally will help more than it hurts.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 03:52 PM

Yeah, I've talked with the head of the controlled burn association in the area. You have to learn, then volunteer on other's, etc., which is as it should be. But I'm just too much of a worry wart to attempt it.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 03:55 PM

Yeah, I've talked with the head of the controlled burn association in the area. You have to learn, then volunteer on other's, etc., which is as it should be. But I'm just too much of a worry wart to attempt it.

Someone fixed that for us and tossed a cig out on the county road.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 03:58 PM

Someone fixed that for us and tossed a cig out on the county road.

I heard that just happened in Temple which caught 70+ cars on fire. Wonder if they caught the smoker that did it.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 03:58 PM

I too bought a place and know zero about ranching. I think being able to say the words "I don't know" about a subject is actually a sign of strength and self-confidence.

Say it louder for those in the back!!!

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 04:30 PM

City people can be stupid in the country. Country people can be stupid in the city. There's smart and stupid people in all places. Asking questions is a good way to learn.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 05:07 PM

City people can be stupid in the country. Country people can be stupid in the city. There's smart and stupid people in all places. Asking questions is a good way to learn.

Is that "ranchish"?

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 05:15 PM

Is that "ranchish"?

Being around stupid people is a double edged sword. On one hand they boost my ego and make me feel superior while on the downside are irritating.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 05:21 PM

I too bought a place and know zero about ranching. I think being able to say the words "I don't know" about a subject is actually a sign of strength and self-confidence.

popcorn i don't know, the only land i ever owned, tis this here dirt they use ta bury me with.
pappy
Originally Posted by J.D.

flag

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 05:29 PM

Is that "ranchish"?

Being around stupid people is a double edged sword. On one hand they boost my ego and make me feel superior while on the downside are irritating.

Yea, my ZFG attitude does not process "stoooopid" people either. Good luck with that. up

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 06:00 PM

One wasn’t born knowing how to do much of anything other than pee, poop and cry.

Just about everything I’ve learned I learned either thru trial and error, reading on the subject or watching someone else/having them show me.

These “heavy ranchin’ “ threads crack me up.

It’s another form of “better than” self justification

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 06:48 PM

One wasn’t born knowing how to do much of anything other than pee, poop and cry.

Just about everything I’ve learned I learned either thru trial and error, reading on the subject or watching someone else/having them show me.

These “heavy ranchin’ “ threads crack me up.

It’s another form of “better than” self justification

I don’t know, they are kind of interesting. Different prospectives. Like guys arguing over when to plant winter food plots. Who is right, who is wrong? None and all at same time

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 07:25 PM

Bought the farm
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 07:28 PM

Ok so how many acres do you need for it to even be called a ranch or a farm? 100,200,500,1000 or ??

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
Ok so how many acres do you need for it to even be called a ranch or a farm? 100,200,500,1000 or ??

And if it's high fence, when is it no longer a deer pen?

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 08:09 PM

Depends where you are in the argument. Do you want to step on nuts or look in the mirror and genuinely be proud for another person that worked their arse off for their own dirt. Every one started some where. More power to them and a hat tip.

If you make money off it, it’s a ranch/farm.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 08:11 PM

And if it's high fence, when is it no longer a deer pen?

It will never matter on that one. Someone just wants to degrade someone else. Thus the term pen.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 08:21 PM

"Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts?"

I bet they talk to the know it alls who think they are well received at the local feed store.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 08:21 PM

Better question is what is the latitude where a ranch becomes a farm and vice versa?

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 08:51 PM

Someone just wants to degrade someone else.

That's one of my big dislikes in life. To degrade others and to see it done.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 08:53 PM

Better question is what is the latitude where a ranch becomes a farm and vice versa?

33 Degrees North

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 08:57 PM

That would make sense. Chicken Ranch bordello comes to mind. If we had a Styrofoam ice chest, raised and sold worms, then we could have a ranch on wheels being full time RVers. Plus we don't really have a way for hauling llamas around for rent.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 09:09 PM

A rancher raises livestock. A farmer grows a crop. Most who do both think of themselves as farmers and the place as a farm. The exception is a dairy farm. There are small farmers and ranchers and big farmers and ranchers. There are also landowners who do neither but refer to their place as a ranch(usually city folks). The moniker does not alter the land or its use and is of little significance to what the place actually is so why sweat it?

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 09:28 PM

That would make sense. Chicken Ranch bordello comes to mind. If we had a Styrofoam ice chest, raised and sold worms, then we could have a ranch on wheels being full time RVers. Plus we don't really have a way for hauling llamas around for rent.

Llama rentals is getting to be big business out west. I don’t know, I feel like that’s worse image then owning a mule. Only worse image might be a mule riding goat rancher

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 09:39 PM

Depends where you are in the argument. Do you want to step on nuts or look in the mirror and genuinely be proud for another person that worked their arse off for their own dirt. Every one started some where. More power to them and a hat tip.

I’m not in the argument at all, simply curious what everyone’s thoughts on the matter is. Anyone owning land has my respect because I know how hard that chit is to pay for but I’ll have to say these 5 acre micro farms popping up around here might be pushing the term a bit.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 09:46 PM

Just wait till pot is legal in Texas.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 09:53 PM

Oh, Lord help us!

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 10:26 PM

I’m not in the argument at all, simply curious what everyone’s thoughts on the matter is. Anyone owning land has my respect because I know how hard that chit is to pay for but I’ll have to say these 5 acre micro farms popping up around here might be pushing the term a bit.

I don’t know. You can put alot chickens on 5 acres. Lots of eggs!!!

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/20/22 11:57 PM

Why wait? confused2

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 12:36 AM

Recognize weekend warriors for what they are.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by jetdad

Why wait? confused2

Just to clarify it was related to farming.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 12:54 AM

Why wait? confused2

The permits were to be $250k each so their won’t be pot farmers everywhere like Oklahoma had. I’ll be one of them though if it ever passes up

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 01:20 AM

Why wait? confused2

The permits were to be $250k each so their won’t be pot farmers everywhere like Oklahoma had. I’ll be one of them though if it ever passes up

Even Oklahoma is pretty confined. All grow places I’ve seen where pretty clean operations nothing junky etc.

I looked heavy into it. Lots of operational costs. Can’t just sprig and then go fishing all summer.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 02:50 AM

It already is medicinally.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 02:53 AM

...permits were to be $250k each...

It's not quite that simple but I think your point is it's expensive. Though expensive is relative.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Hudbone

I bet they talk to the know it alls who think they are well received at the local feed store.

Well, that beats talkin to some expert who sits in an office behind a desk all day.

For example, I’d wager that I spend more time at a feed store than you, & you spend more time behind a desk in the city than I do.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 11:59 AM

There will be pot needles everywhere. Won’t someone think of the chillun?

We will rue the day. I’lll go ahead now & start rueing.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 12:32 PM

Heard a west Texas rancher say "one of the best supplements to your cattle operation is pump jacks."

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 12:44 PM

Heard a west Texas rancher say "one of the best supplements to your cattle operation is pump jacks."

Yea, and the vast majority of these little ranches will not have mineral rights.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 12:45 PM

Well, that beats talkin to some expert who sits in an office behind a desk all day.

For example, I’d wager that I spend more time at a feed store than you, & you spend more time behind a desk in the city than I do.

Guys that buy a lot of feed don’t go to feed stores. They send emails grin

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 12:55 PM

Appreciate you Max. Glad you picked up on it. You know I was just funnin you.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 12:56 PM

No doubt.

However the feed store and the coffee shop/ diner where all the old men hang out in the mornings are still a location to go find wisdom. Of course some are full of chit. But if someone relocates to a new area (I did) ask the old timers in the area the questions. Who's the tractor tire repair guy? Who's the dozer man? Where's the best place to get off road diesel? An example of questions I asked and got answers to when I moved only 35 miles from my previous home area.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 01:20 PM

No doubt.

However the feed store and the coffee shop/ diner where all the old men hang out in the mornings are still a location to go find wisdom. Of course some are full of chit. But if someone relocates to a new area (I did) ask the old timers in the area the questions. Who's the tractor tire repair guy? Who's the dozer man? Where's the best place to get off road diesel? An example of questions I asked and got answers to when I moved only 35 miles from my previous home area.

You must live in the city. That’s usually all the same person in Ruralllll America!!! Says so on the only sign in town

grin

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 01:22 PM

All the ranchers I know don't hang out anywhere, they're working.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 01:38 PM

Not even close to being in the city.

Wolfe City is 8 minutes away and a population of 1400.

20 minutes from anything close to resembling a city.
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 01:40 PM

Yep, repairing broke stuff and things.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 01:40 PM

Not even close to being in the city.

Wolfe City is 8 minutes away and a population of 1400.

20 minutes from anything close to resembling a city.

grin
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 01:59 PM

Ol Maximus sure likes to shake & rattle the porta potty stir duel
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 02:02 PM

Exactly.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 02:14 PM

They don't hang out at McDonalds with the Pirahna Coffee Club? roflmao

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rustler
Ol Maximus sure likes to shake & rattle the porta potty stir duel

Blue water splash!

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 02:27 PM

Internet prize winner for today up

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 04:06 PM

They don't hang out at McDonalds with the Pirahna Coffee Club? roflmao

Yelp. they are at the bank swimming in their money!!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sauerkraut

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 04:51 PM

Amen. They definitely don't spend their time on online forums, typing up pretentious, self-gratifying posts, whining about city people.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sauerkraut

Amen. They definitely don't spend their time on online forums, typing up pretentious, self-gratifying posts, whining about city people.

Lol, you need to add “disgruntled” in there somewhere.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 05:17 PM

What do ranchers and farmers do all day? Yell at cows to eat and grass to grow?

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Guy

Lol, you need to add “disgruntled” in there somewhere.

LOL...I would agree. Probably upset that the city folk came along and bought up the land they had hopes of getting at a cheap price.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 05:59 PM

I know of a hands on ranching family (over 40,000 acres) who get up, eat breakfast and are where they need to be at first light. They eat lunch together and then all take a mid-day break to avoid the heat of south TX. Back out in the afternoon, doing smaller stuff or eyeing the next day's work. They put in their hours. Saturdays are no different than Mondays.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 06:06 PM

Those are the guys that ranch on 6 acres.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 06:36 PM

I know of a hands on ranching family (over 40,000 acres) who get up, eat breakfast and are where they need to be at first light. They eat lunch together and then all take a mid-day break to avoid the heat of south TX. Back out in the afternoon, doing smaller stuff or eyeing the next day's work. They put in their hours. Saturdays are no different than Mondays.

How many hands total are there?

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 06:48 PM

I chuckle at Couch Ranch Hands that help out a time or two or drive by a place with cows on it grazing by the fence and become Experts.. I had a small 100 acre Place over in Fayette County. Owned it 15 years. Most called it a Ranch but I didn't. Just a big yard. Amazing what you have to have to operate even a small place like that if you do it right. . Dozer, Bobcat, Tractors, Sprayers, Working Pens, Longhorn Chutes and the list goes on and on. . Sold it and all the Equipment 4 years ago and wish I hadn't. . Now have 10 acres almost downtown Kingsland (unincorporated) and have 3 of the Longhorn Lawnmowers off the Old Place out here keeping the grass down. Still have a Longhorn Chute. Heck that thing was $7500 bucks years ago. Ain't nothing cheap running even a small place if you do it right. If you look close Chute even works on cats. [Linked Image]

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 07:05 PM

The family has three men in it, the oldest son and the twins. I have seen them with work crews and you couldn't tell any one of them was an owner. They buckle up, pitch in and work as hard as the "employees". Each one is tanned and leathered up as can be. Denim on denim is a uniform. Each are gazilionaires. You would never know it.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 07:12 PM

The family has three men in it, the oldest son and the twins. I have seen them with work crews and you couldn't tell any one of them was an owner. They buckle up, pitch in and work as hard as the "employees". Each one is tanned and leathered up as can be. Denim on denim is a uniform. Each are gazilionaires. You would never know it.

Yeah Most of the Legit Rancher's I've been around do the same. Work their Tails off. Hot or Cold it has to be done. My place had fences and cross fences and trees all over. Had to run fence lines with all the goodies to fix all the time. Not for the lazy or faint hearted.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by glens
I chuckle at Couch Ranch Hands that help out a time or two or drive by a place with cows on it grazing by the fence and become Experts.. I had a small 100 acre Place over in Fayette County. Owned it 15 years. Most called it a Ranch but I didn't. Just a big yard. Amazing what you have to have to operate even a small place like that if you do it right. . Dozer, Bobcat, Tractors, Sprayers, Working Pens, Longhorn Chutes and the list goes on and on. . Sold it and all the Equipment 4 years ago and wish I hadn't. . Now have 10 acres almost downtown Kingsland (unincorporated) and have 3 of the Longhorn Lawnmowers off the Old Place out here keeping the grass down. Still have a Longhorn Chute. Heck that thing was $7500 bucks years ago. Ain't nothing cheap running even a small place if you do it right. If you look close Chute even works on cats. [Linked Image]

If you bought polled cows your chute would of been cheaper grin roflmao

I think both sides are hilarious, especially the thought of all ranchers are sun up to sun down 365 day a year.

Texas Ag stats on www.Texasagriculture.gov has some cool demographic information. I was helping my daughter pull some facts the other day.

Female producers are up over 60% since 2012
248k farm and ranch’s in TX
Average ranch/farm in Texas is 411 acres
408k producers in TX, 37% are women

New and beginning producers (<10.x years) 118k operating 77k farms at average size of 348acres

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 08:09 PM

Temple Grandin would approve.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 08:14 PM

Temple Grandin would approve.

No way that thing will put that cat under control. Temple would only approve if the pens leading to the chute were set up in circular fashion.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 08:14 PM

After all of us being around the square-head ranch (40K acres) owner for a few years on our lease, one of our group (the kidder) asked him what he'd been doing lately, "Just takin' it easy?" The guy became apoplectic. rofl

You can be a hard working rancher and still be easy going. Or, you can act pissed off at the world all the time. Our LO chose the latter.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 08:27 PM

I am fortunate to know quite few hard working earnest, honest, hard working good fellas who own ranches and who are extremely reluctant to talk about others. Typically, they are most concerned with what takes place on on their side of the fence.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 08:29 PM

Oh I figured, that’s my point. It takes LARGE ranches to make “ranchers” really busy ALL the time, even then busy is still seasonal. They work hard, with out a doubt, it’s not a hobby, but there is a lot of down time. With that said there are alot easier ways to make similar money then being a rancher/farmer

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 08:35 PM

I am fortunate to know quite few hard working earnest, honest, hard working good fellas who own ranches and who are extremely reluctant to talk about others. Typically, they are most concerned with what takes place on on their side of the fence.

Just don't ask them how many head of cattle they have! scared

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 08:38 PM

That would make a fun poll.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 09:19 PM

Although many of them can tell you how many and how good an offspring they provide, some of them don't even know exactly how many they own.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 09:26 PM

You can ask the same question a different way that’s not offensive.

Ask them what their AU’s ability(animal stocking rate “ability”, not their current rates), and is there anything they have done to make a big difference or plan on doing.

From a hunting perspective - STX that gives you context to current and future dozer/row chopping, WTX Mesquite removal programs, Hill country Cedar removal programs, ETX prescribed burning and timber management. Essentially habitat improvement projects that could be helpful or hurtful to your hunting

Most ranchers will answer with some pride. It’s a reflection of their work and respect for the land. It’s a direct reflection on them as it also serves to show his priorities over you. If he plans on doubling his stocking rate ability in next few years, you are about to loose some cover good or bad.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 10:24 PM

Although many of them can tell you how many and how good an offspring they provide, some of them don't even know exactly how many they own.

If they make their living off their Livestock , you can bet your bottom dollar they know how many they have.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 10:39 PM

You've never been around a big operation, have you?

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 11:36 PM

Private Ranch , vaccinations once or twice a year and counted at that time, they would know if it was in the thousands. My Grandpa , lone gone had a large spread up in Oklahoma many moons ago and always ran 2 to 3 hundred head + (Herefords). Apparently you haven't be around one or the ones you've been around just let um run like Chickens. Heck They even know how many Chickens they have. You must be talking about a goat Ranch.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 11:54 PM

I insure a guy who puts up about 1,500 round bales a year and believe me when I tell you he has little idea of how many cows are in each pasture let alone how many in total. He can buy me, burn what I have and not be hurt.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/21/22 11:56 PM

Private Ranch , vaccinations once or twice a year and counted at that time, they would know if it was in the thousands. My Grandpa , lone gone had a large spread up in Oklahoma many moons ago and always ran 2 to 3 hundred head + (Herefords). Apparently you haven't be around one or the ones you've been around just let um run like Chickens. Heck They even know how many Chickens they have. You must be talking about a goat Ranch.

Big operations have carry over and migrators that they never catch every year. It adds up. You see it more in thick brush country or big country with really low stocking rates(think south eastern NM/transpecos/etc). I’ve gathered places and been 40 over. I’ve also had to refly a pasture because we lost 20 head and still never found them, that’s just cows not yearlings.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/22/22 12:18 AM

I have 354 momma cows - statement never ever made. They don't get exact cuz they don't know for sure.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/22/22 12:26 AM

I have 354 momma cows - statement never ever made. They don't get exact cuz they don't know for sure.

It’s more like I turned out 354 momma cows in xyz pasture…… couple months back roflmao even seen a few since, and a baby or two

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/22/22 12:33 AM

Two to three hundred is a big operation. Got it. roflmao
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/22/22 01:27 AM

Excellent statement.
Posted By: T Bone

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/22/22 02:44 AM

I grew up in a farming/ranching family and still help out when I can. In my experience, the guys who generally act like they have it figured out are the ones closer to bankruptcy than the rest.. Why? Change is constant. Each year presents a new set of problems and you either adapt or lose money. Sometimes, a lot of money. This year, everyone said $11 wheat and $8 corn were going to bring windfall profits.

Except it didn’t rain.

Some guys won’t recover from this year. We’re not going under this year, but only because we have diversified revenue sources.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/22/22 10:22 AM

"I grew up in a farming/ranching family and still help out when I can. In my experience, the guys who generally act like they have it figured out are the ones closer to bankruptcy than the rest.. . . . . . . " Daddy always told me, "Them who describe themselves as being real smart or real religious are usually neither." I have found this to be spot on.

" . . .. diversified revenue sources" I fondly recall the 70 plus year old STX rancher on horseback telling me his cows always fared better when they could rest in the shade of the oil tanks. No doubt.
Posted By: don k

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/22/22 11:53 AM

It is the same way folks become investment experts, legal experts, health experts and so on. They are experts in their own minds and then try to convince others how smart they are.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/22/22 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by don k
It is the same way folks become investment experts, legal experts, health experts and so on. They are experts in their own minds and then try to convince others how smart they are.

Yeah most experts ain't ventured too far from their couch. You can always tell.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/22/22 02:09 PM

Dang when did this turn into the Texas Cattleman’s Forum?

Y’all sound like a bunch of Rig workers arguing over who is the best hand on the Derrick
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/22/22 04:25 PM

Maybe the best one upper thread of the year.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/22/22 05:10 PM

Y’all sound like a bunch of Rig workers arguing over who is the best hand on the Derrick

Here's my haul rig:

[Linked Image]

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/22/22 05:38 PM

Here's my haul rig:

[Linked Image]

One of the most honest responses on this entire thread

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/22/22 07:10 PM

I have a big hat and no cattle. Does that count for something?

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/22/22 08:05 PM

Stay humble folks.

Remember, there is always a bigger bear

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/22/22 08:52 PM

Well I have some steaks in the freezer and watched Rawhide as a kid growing up so you darn tootin I'm an expert

Here's my haul rig:

[Linked Image]

Well I have some steaks in the freezer, know what cut of beef they are and watched Rawhide as a kid growing up so you darn tootin I'm an expert cattleman up

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/23/22 11:44 AM

[quote=BOBO the Clown]Denim on denim is a uniform.

Yes. The old “Canadian Tuxedo”.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/23/22 12:55 PM

Stay humble folks.

Remember, there is always a bigger bear

Yelp those union designer goat ranchers got it figured out

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/23/22 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by T Bone
I grew up in a farming/ranching family and still help out when I can. In my experience, the guys who generally act like they have it figured out are the ones closer to bankruptcy than the rest.. Why? Change is constant. Each year presents a new set of problems and you either adapt or lose money. Sometimes, a lot of money. This year, everyone said $11 wheat and $8 corn were going to bring windfall profits.

Except it didn’t rain.

Some guys won’t recover from this year. We’re not going under this year, but only because we have diversified revenue sources.

Hope 23 will be a better year for you.
Posted By: T Bone

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/23/22 01:59 PM

Except it didn’t rain.

Thanks, how did your corn turn out? Our cotton wasn’t harvested, a guy came in a baled in whole.. No idea what he’s going to do with it.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/23/22 02:38 PM

Except it didn’t rain.

Thanks, how did your corn turn out? Our cotton wasn’t harvested, a guy came in a baled in whole.. No idea what he’s going to do with it.

Bailed two circles and rest should make but won’t know for couple of weeks. Hoping week before thanksgiving. To cover contracts I wasn’t able to hold any wheat back last year. Not doing any barely this year just WW, so I hope it’s a wet winter.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/23/22 04:18 PM

At this point I’m no hat no cattle. Trying to improve our grass before I get any stock but with as little rain as we’ve had I’m. It sure it didn’t go backward this year.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/23/22 06:17 PM

At this point I’m no hat no cattle. Trying to improve our grass before I get any stock but with as little rain as we’ve had I’m. It sure it didn’t go backward this year.

I personally hate cattle and hope I never have to own another one. What did you sprig?

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/23/22 06:26 PM

Cattle and a bit of sod busting for WW, supplement with outfitting.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/23/22 06:31 PM

Another good question would be how small is the smallest Ag'ed property owned by you high rollers? I know most here have at least a Section. chicken

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/23/22 07:27 PM

1.27 acres is the smallest I have seen.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/23/22 08:48 PM

My homestead has a garden so roughly half that. Bunnies and drought got it this year though. I’m not sweeting it. Life is good, I had crop insurance on the okra, bell peepers and cucumbers, so it’s bailing me out with a free instacart membership and home note.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/23/22 09:54 PM

Have never ranched, don't know much of what it entails but would be more than willing to ask of those that do. I know my weaknesses and strengths.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/23/22 10:48 PM

2 Bee Boxes and call it done.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/23/22 11:26 PM

Insurance bail out on the garden......

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/23/22 11:37 PM

Do you ever wonder why certain so called country people become such city life experts/critics confused2 I bet it is mainly the internet country people that give a Chit
I bet real country folks don't think about or could care less about what goes on in the city as long as it does not effect them.

Maybe I am way out of touch but the country folks that I use to visit a lot never whined or beetched about city peeps, they seldom complained about anything and if they did it was about the neighbors bull tearing up their fence to Whoo Hoo with their cows or something like that.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/23/22 11:53 PM

I personally hate cattle and hope I never have to own another one. What did you sprig?

Lump me into the hating cattle group.

I like to eat them but other than that have no use for them personally.

Much would rather look at deer, elk and antelope then a herd of Herefords or angus
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/23/22 11:56 PM

Do you ever wonder why certain so called country people become such city life experts/critics confused2 I bet it is mainly the internet country people that give a Chit
I bet real country folks don't think about or could care less about what goes on in the city as long as it does not effect them.

Maybe I am way out of touch but the country folks that I use to visit a lot never whined or beetched about city peeps, they seldom complained and if they did it was about the neighbors bull tearing up their fence to Whoo Hoo with their cows or something like that.

I don’t care what anyone else does. But Saturday morning a dude in a $100,000 truck cut me off at the 4 way coming out of Allsups in Throckmorton. He and his queer buddies were pulling an ATV and two pallets of corn. I told my boys, “I guarantee you these [censored] are from Dallas.”

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/24/22 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by scalebuster

Maybe I am way out of touch but the country folks that I use to visit a lot never whined or beetched about city peeps, they seldom complained and if they did it was about the neighbors bull tearing up their fence to Whoo Hoo with their cows or something like that.

I don’t care what anyone else does. But Saturday morning a dude in a $100,000 truck cut me off at the 4 way coming out of Allsups in Throckmorton. He and his queer buddies were pulling an ATV and two pallets of corn. I told my boys, “I guarantee you these [censored] are from Dallas.”

You maybe right on where they come from, but maybe you are not?
What if they are from Abilene, FT Worth, Wichita Falls or ?? What makes you think the truck was a $100 k? was it a fairly new dually king cab or a fancy lift truck with all of the bells and whistles
confused2
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/24/22 12:09 AM

Ever stop to think those Alsups and such probably wouldn't make it out in "the country" without the revenue from out of towners?

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/24/22 12:26 AM

Never owned any other than what was frozen in my freezer. I may well hate them too, if I do I guess we will make hay. It’s got coastal on it just been poorly taken care of and over grazed.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/24/22 12:34 AM

What if they are from Abilene, FT Worth, Wichita Falls or ?? What makes you think the truck was a $100 k? was it a fairly new dually king cab or a fancy lift truck with all of the bells and whistles
confused2

I know it’s a $100K truck because my best freind has one just like it. I’m ordering a new one myself without all the bells and whistles. It wasn’t the truck that pissed me off. Just the attitude.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/24/22 12:42 AM

confused2

I know it’s a $100K truck because my best freind has one just like it. I’m ordering a new one myself without all the bells and whistles. It wasn’t the truck that pissed me off. Just the attitude.

Okay I get that, please describe the truck!

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/24/22 03:57 AM

Is it worst to be cut off by a $100k truck or a $2500 truck?

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/24/22 04:15 AM

My homestead has a garden so roughly half that. Bunnies and drought got it this year though. I’m not sweeting it. Life is good, I had crop insurance on the okra, bell peepers and cucumbers, so it’s bailing me out with a free instacart membership and home note.

Dang that is funny. Thanks for the laugh.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/24/22 04:27 AM

Country or city, we all have a job to do. We all have a part to play.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/24/22 04:27 AM

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/24/22 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1
Ever stop to think those Alsups and such probably wouldn't make it out in "the country" without the revenue from out of towners?

Oh no! All the [censored] convenience stores owned by multi national corporations might not be able to sell their Chicom made [censored] without what we have a buncha city folks all up in our business

Whatever would we do????

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/24/22 01:08 PM

Never heard of them

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/24/22 01:08 PM

Some people cannot grasp basic economics.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/24/22 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1

Oh no! All the [censored] convenience stores owned by multi national corporations might not be able to sell their Chicom made [censored] without what we have a buncha city folks all up in our business

Whatever would we do????

Thought allsup guy just died but it was HeadQTR out of clovis NM.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/24/22 01:16 PM

Never heard of them

Yes you have Collin is an Archery only county with some of the biggest deer inTX

5k rumors as to why. From KS red coat genetics to you breeders guys releasing etc. really just nutrition and age probably

[Linked Image]

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/24/22 01:24 PM

Some people cannot grasp basic economics.

Yep. Lots of little town celebrate hunting seasons and the dollars it brings in. There are no doubt some asshats in the mix, in-town and out-of-town.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/24/22 01:46 PM

Never heard of them

Yes you have Collin is an Archery only country with some of the biggest deer inTX

[Linked Image]

I lived in Collin from 1980 to 2020. First deer I saw was 1999. First season was in 2012.

Whitetail died of old age in Collin County for a long time. They dang sure have great genes there. And those deer are steadily losing habitat. I sound like the old man now, telling tales of working cattle, driving tractors, dove hunting, and coyote hunting grounds that are now covered in houses.

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/24/22 01:55 PM

I lived in Collin from 1980 to 2020. First deer I saw was 1999. First season was in 2012.

Whitetail died of old age in Collin County for a long time. They dang sure have great genes there. And those deer are steadily losing habitat. I sound like the old man now, telling tales of working cattle, driving tractors, dove hunting, and coyote hunting grounds that are now covered in houses.

Be my guess but damn it’s got some big deer

Re: Ever wonder how city people come to be such ranching experts? - 10/24/22 02:12 PM

Be my guess but damn it’s got some big deer

I cam only hope those genes migrate north east to Fannin County.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum