My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Cat Converter Deterrent [Re: KRoyal] #8674180 08/26/22 08:56 PM
G
gtrich94 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted by KRoyal
I have a full bumper skid plate setup from ICON Racing. Not sure if they make anything for your truck. The dealership has already cross threaded 3 of the bolts that hold it on after doing oil changes. Damn degenerates. Good thing it’s held on by like 20 bolts. It’s almost a deterrent for them to do an oil change I’m sure it’s a good deterrent for thieves.

I have one from BudBuilt and it's the same thing. A million bolts and you have to take the damn thing off if you want to change the oil. I took mine off a few years ago when I changed deer leases and wasn't worried about Hill Country rocks tearing out my oil pan. The wife keeps telling me to put it back on, but I just can't get motivated to go back to taking the beast of a thing off and on every time I have to change the oil in the truck.

Thanks,
Rich
Re: Cat Converter Deterrent [Re: Brother in-law] #8674291 08/26/22 11:23 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I bet thieves have them tamper proof bits, a full set is $7.49 on Amazon

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Cat Converter Deterrent [Re: Simple Searcher] #8674319 08/27/22 12:02 AM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Simple Searcher

I bet they do along with a cordless drill too.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Cat Converter Deterrent [Re: The Dude Abides] #8674434 08/27/22 02:11 AM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides

Wouldnt it be easier to just grind them off? Seems like it would take less than 60 seconds to grind off the heads, rip the aluminum plate off. I keep thinking about getting one of the plates but seem gimmicky.

Re: Cat Converter Deterrent [Re: jeepercreeper] #8674463 08/27/22 02:48 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by jeepercreeper

Wouldnt it be easier to just grind them off? Seems like it would take less than 60 seconds to grind off the heads, rip the aluminum plate off. I keep thinking about getting one of the plates but seem gimmicky.

Probably, but like BP stated….thieves want to be in and out, minimal exposure time. Hardware is countersunk into steel plates. Gotta grind 11-12 off to get exposed to cats. Quicker to cut cats off without any deterrent. You have a nice Tundra too. A little protection is better than no protection. YMMV

Last edited by The Dude Abides; 08/27/22 02:53 AM.

I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Cat Converter Deterrent [Re: Brother in-law] #8674467 08/27/22 02:53 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
I agree with the Dude. Using a grinder makes an awful lot of noise and visual effects. They carry a sawzall and want easy access.

[Linked Image]
Re: Cat Converter Deterrent [Re: Brother in-law] #8674497 08/27/22 04:06 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Buddy of mine had his stolen a couple weeks ago in the parking lot of Fieldhouse while he was inside for a volleyball game. They hit four in the same parking lot all at once, and I think he said they were all Tundras. Cops told him they use a sawzall and have them cut off in about a minute.

I would bet if they saw the skid plate they would immediately move on to the next truck.

Re: Cat Converter Deterrent [Re: Brother in-law] #8674503 08/27/22 04:47 AM
S
Sewer rat Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
S

Re: Cat Converter Deterrent [Re: Brother in-law] #8674505 08/27/22 04:54 AM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Buddy's Tundra sitting in Toyota of Plano's lot. 60-90 days till cats get here

no bueno.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Cat Converter Deterrent [Re: BigPig] #8674622 08/27/22 01:30 PM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BigPig
Not rivets. They are a special bit.

[Linked Image]

Yep, bring the drill. Increase exposure, give me more time to catch them. Two knees sticking out from my truck, perfect target. They will need a physical therapist for life if I catch them. "Lucille" or Pew Pew Pew!!!! Build your security in layers make them go to the next truck, probably an easier target. Just sayin!

They won’t bring a drill. Thief’s are lazy and go for fast easy targets. They are going to roll under with a sawsall and be done in about 30 seconds. If they had to have a drill, jack, and a saw, they will pass

They do carry jacks. They use them on Prius' all the time. The OP needs to look on Tundras.com. there are several posts on the subject. 2 choices I know of in Texas for shields are Vallaha (took a stab at spelling) and Taco Tunes. Vallaha is in Houston area and Taco Tunes is in San Antonio. Vallaha offers a couple of materials and thickness.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Cat Converter Deterrent [Re: Brother in-law] #8674628 08/27/22 01:35 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Called dealership. This is what they installed on my truck. I was mistaken, MOC is aluminum not steel.

MILLERCAT

Last edited by The Dude Abides; 08/27/22 01:53 PM.

Re: Cat Converter Deterrent [Re: Brother in-law] #8674649 08/27/22 02:17 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I'm wondering why the guys that have them stolen don't just get an aftermarket high flow catalytic converter? You can get one for $250. Why in the world does the dealership charge $4500??

Re: Cat Converter Deterrent [Re: DocHorton] #8674679 08/27/22 03:10 PM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by DocHorton
I'm wondering why the guys that have them stolen don't just get an aftermarket high flow catalytic converter? You can get one for $250. Why in the world does the dealership charge $4500??

The aftermarket ones don't keep the light off. Put one on and almost guarantee you'll get P0420 or P0430. If you don't care about the check engine light being on, just put a piece of pipe in its place for $40.

And to correct your second comment...dealers don't make up the price for anything entirely. They have a manufacturer's suggested retail price on parts just like everyone else. Labor? Well that is partly dependent on warranty labor rate...something they have little control over either.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Cat Converter Deterrent [Re: DocHorton] #8674682 08/27/22 03:14 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Like I said previously...cost of the cat is not the only thing to consider...

Towing
Cat
Labor/Shop Time
Down Time / Loss of use...if you use you truck for work
Rental Truck

Toyota replacement cost is outrageous but anytime you take your vehicle to a dealership you're paying through the nose.

Re: Cat Converter Deterrent [Re: bagster] #8674686 08/27/22 03:17 PM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by bagster
I wonder why the auto makers don't design things to make converters harder to steal?

Why would the automaker give a crap? They don't care how hard it is to work on the vehicle so they really don't care if a part gets stolen.

Most of the ones we've seen are G-vans with a box on the back like furniture and rental stores use for delivery. That's so because there is a lot of room underneath to operate the saw and the vans are usually parked overnight in areas without homes and people to disturb. A local church had two vans hit one night then hit again in a couple days after repairs. The Rent-A-Center got nabbed twice, and the family owned furniture store got hit too (they have F**d vans though).

Pass the gravy.

Re: Cat Converter Deterrent [Re: The Dude Abides] #8674688 08/27/22 03:19 PM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
anytime you take your vehicle to a dealership you're paying through the nose.

Up here the indies are as much or more than the dealers and if you take your vehicle to the wrong one, it'll be waaay more than our local dealers after they replace enough parts to fix the problem. Yes, there are bad employees at dealers too.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Cat Converter Deterrent [Re: The Dude Abides] #8674700 08/27/22 03:34 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B

Towing
Cat
Labor/Shop Time
Rental Truck

Toyota replacement cost is outrageous but anytime you take your vehicle to a dealership you're paying through the nose.

BIG TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Cat Converter Deterrent [Re: Brother in-law] #8674709 08/27/22 03:43 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
What is the huge market that leads to these being stolen? Same as the copper thefts?

Proverbs 2
Re: Cat Converter Deterrent [Re: Sniper.270] #8674716 08/27/22 03:48 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Sniper.270
What is the huge market that leads to these being stolen? Same as the copper thefts?

precious metals...palladium and platinum

Re: Cat Converter Deterrent [Re: The Dude Abides] #8674730 08/27/22 04:23 PM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Sniper.270

precious metals...palladium and platinum

Authorities nabbed a big theft ring in Jersey that was shipping them overseas. Probably the result of scrap dealers in the U.S. that don't want to touch them any more. One advantage to taking a Tundra to the dealer is Toyota is providing rentals free of charge when insurance quits covering.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Cat Converter Deterrent [Re: GasGuzzler] #8674732 08/27/22 04:24 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Towing
Cat
Labor/Shop Time
Rental Truck

That still doesn't add up...it costs nothing to drive to a muffler shop and pay them $80 to weld in a new cat. No towing or rental truck needed. But, I guess if there are plenty of folks willing to pay $4500 for a new one then they will keep charging it, Lol.

Originally Posted by GasGuzzler

The aftermarket ones don't keep the light off. Put one on and almost guarantee you'll get P0420 or P0430. If you don't care about the check engine light being on, just put a piece of pipe in its place for $40.

And to correct your second comment...dealers don't make up the price for anything entirely. They have a manufacturer's suggested retail price on parts just like everyone else. Labor? Well that is partly dependent on warranty labor rate...something they have little control over either.

Have you tried it? Plenty of people put high flow cats on vehicles that are a lot more expensive and a lot more highly tuned than a Tundra. I had them on my GTR and never had any check engine lights. Maybe it wouldn't work, but folks have been doing it for decades on other vehicles.

I don't care either way, but there's got to be other options.....

Re: Cat Converter Deterrent [Re: DocHorton] #8674742 08/27/22 04:43 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Towing
Cat
Labor/Shop Time
Rental Truck

That still doesn't add up...it costs nothing to drive to a muffler shop and pay them $80 to weld in a new cat. No towing or rental truck needed. But, I guess if there are plenty of folks willing to pay $4500 for a new one then they will keep charging it, Lol.

Originally Posted by GasGuzzler

Have you tried it? Plenty of people put high flow cats on vehicles that are a lot more expensive and a lot more highly tuned than a Tundra. I had them on my GTR and never had any check engine lights. Maybe it wouldn't work, but folks have been doing it for decades on other vehicles.

I don't care either way, but there's got to be other options.....

You're assuming they have the parts in stock and labor available to immediately fix your issue which I doubt they will. Back on topic...cat theft deterrent shield is well worth the price and piece of mind. Not the end all be all but a deterrent nonetheless. Carry on.

Re: Cat Converter Deterrent [Re: The Dude Abides] #8674785 08/27/22 05:31 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

You're assuming they have the parts in stock and labor available to immediately fix your issue which I doubt they will. Back on topic...cat theft deterrent shield is well worth the price and piece of mind. Not the end all be all but a deterrent nonetheless. Carry on.

Makes sense, I agree.
cheers

Re: Cat Converter Deterrent [Re: Brother in-law] #8674788 08/27/22 05:37 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
We had a cat go bad on a Ford Expedition, had dealer diagnose the CEL. They told us to go to the local muffler shop for a replacement.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide