Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8586515 04/27/22 12:47 PM
D
Dimitri Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
It was about an hour before dawn and a friend and I were walking in pitch darkness along the farm road leading to the distant mountains where we were going to hunt kudu. The cattle fence running along the right hand side of the road was in a bad state. The bottom 3 strands were broken so the first strand was about 50cm from the ground. We were both wearing long pants and long-sleeved shirts and we were shivering from the cold as we walked slowly and quietly along. Jackets would only have been required up until about 9am as, in that part of Limpopo province, winter day-time temperatures were around 75F and we didn't want to be lugging jackets around all day. The only sound - other than the odd jackal calling and the odd sniff from our runny noses - was the slight crunching of soil under our boots. Suddenly we heard the sound of two animals running towards us from about 30m away on our right. It sounded like the animals had paws rather than hooves. I raised my rifle and closed the bolt (I always keep the bolt open around camp and had forgotten to close the bolt when we left camp). The metallic sound of the bolt being worked was very loud and the animals pulled up about 15m or so from us but we still couldn't see them in the darkness. They made a hair-raising panting/growling sound ... grrh .. grrh .. grrh .. grrh .. grrh! Then they walked slowly in a semi-circle from our right to our left, twanging the fence as they went under it until we could no longer hear them. It felt like we waited for and hour to see what would happen next but it was probably only a minute before I whispered to my friend,
"What the hell was that?"
"I don't know but it scared the crap out of me!"
"Me too. Are you still cold? I'm sweating here."
"I'm boiling!"
We broke out into nervous laughter and discussed the incident for some time. We tied some toilet paper onto the barbed wire fence so that we could find the exact spot again later. We planned to search for the animals' tracks when we returned along the road in the afternoon. Unfortunately, the farmer's cattle had walked all over the spoor during the course of the day so we weren't able to find any tracks to help us identify what animals had given us such a fright.

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8586521 04/27/22 12:50 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I once leased a place next to a nudist camp/resort. Nuff said. Guess I should have sold tickets.

Climbed up a ladder to get into my ladder stand. Helluva big coon was already there. He wanted to get through the door where I was standing. We enjoyed each other’s company all the way to the ground.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8587493 04/29/22 12:47 AM
S
ScrapIron Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
not strange but kinda funny

i had hung a tree stand on the only tree big enough to support one on the ranch down south overlooking a little overflow waterhole at a windmill.
somehow the only dang squirrel for miles around decided that the flipdown foam seat cushion was a good place to make a nest. about 15ft up on the climbing sticks i reached over and unsnapped the seat and flopped it down and came literally face to face with a suprised squirrel with huge teeth and long sharp claws
how i didnt falloff the lord only knows but my wife heard me scream like a girl about 500 yds away in her stand

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8587515 04/29/22 01:25 AM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Kinda cool.
Had killed my elk in Wyoming late September 2016 and the next morning I was headed to the meat locker in Jackson just to have it chilled since we process our own meat.
On the way out driving through the sagebrush I look to my left and here are 3 Grizzly Bears. I stopped my truck and rolled down the window while grabbing my camera. They were headed right to me, started taking pictures like I was at the zoo. It was a momma and 2 big cubs, the sow even stood up to figure out what the truck was. I have plenty of cool up close Grizzly pictures. There was no way I was getting out of that truck. A little man on my shoulder reminded me they'll kill you and eat you.
Now for the bad news, somehow my camera got switched to VGA Mode the lowest picture resolution possible. My wife using her computer skills was able to clean the pictures up. The pictures are still nice but I always wonder how they would have been.

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: TEXASLEFTY] #8587529 04/29/22 01:41 AM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY
Had a Llama come up to a tank we were Dove hunting at, no fences on this piece of property and it didn’t belong to the land owner.

[Linked Image]

i despise those Horse/Giraffe inbreds.

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8587541 04/29/22 01:59 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
From memory, someone's goats didn't like them either.

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8588204 04/30/22 01:07 PM
C
Catperch Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
C
I posted this on another thread before,, but this is probably the one that sticks out for me..........
I was running lines on the river. Tied up to a tree that had a big limb hanging over my boat only about 10-15 feet away. A squirrel was on that limb barking at me and acting a straight fool, which was weird in itself because I was way down in the river bottom where only wild squirrels would be. In a minute she disappeared around the tree. As I sat there a minute I watched another squirrel crawling out of the hollow in the trunk. As I look closer that squirrel had a 5 ft water snake by the neck dragging it out of the den. He drug it out on the limb that was over my boat and shook the snake until it was hanging down over the water and dropped it in the water. As soon as he let it go he ran over to the first squirrel I saw and they started humping like two squirrels do when they drag a snake out of their den. All this took place right over my boat. The snake almost fell in my boat

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8588207 04/30/22 01:14 PM
C
Catperch Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
C
I also had a bobcat try to jump in the ladder stand with me while bow hunting. I had a little limb that was in my way, and had nothing to cut it with.. I beat on it until I could bend it over out of my way.. I guess that bobcat thought I was an injured squirrel or something.. It came running up to the base of the stand staring at me. As I was sitting still trying to figure out how to get drawn, he crouched down like he was about to jump in the stand. As I thought, this sonofagun is trying to jump up here, I stood up and yelled to run it off. Not too crazy, but interesting.......

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8588257 04/30/22 02:54 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I hunted till past dark on a really windy evening. I gave up and headed down to set the pig trap that was next to the feeder. I was down wind of the feeder in a rather strong wind when about a dozen pigs came out of the woods to the feeder. I was standing in the trap about 15ft from the feeder and the pigs were right there next to me, just feet away. They paid me no attention as grabbed my 308 from the Gator and shot one of them.
I though it was ironic that I was the one in the pig trap.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8590492 05/03/22 11:29 PM
F
Flashprism Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
F
While bow hunting at about 17 in a new area near my Grampa's farm I found a tree stand for an evening hunt and decided to try it out, It wasn't to long and a doe and 2 yearlings came under the stand. I shot the doe but I got terrible penetration and the doe ran off. Feeling I hadn't made a kill shot ( Multiple deer were legal) I decided to take one of the yearlings that remained after the doe took off. I place this shot well and the yearling dropped. My buddy and I searched for several hours hours for the doe and never found her.

The following Saturday I went back to the same stand in the morning darkness and did a hunt.

After an unproductive morning I climb down and notice an aluminum arrow bent and broken in 3 pieces under the stand steps,
After thinking about it I broke out in a cold sweat as this arrow was my arrow that I shot the doe with the week before.
My arrows were totally unique 27 inches with 2 red and one white feather Fletching.
To this day It blows my mind how an arrow in a deer was able to get bent and broken in 3 pieces and end up under that stand.
I must say I thought something supernatural was in play and often thought about it over the years walking alone in the darkness.

57 years have gone by and no anticipated repercussions have been experienced. Maybe when I go over to the other side I get the answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Flashprism; 05/03/22 11:32 PM.
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8590568 05/04/22 01:28 AM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Years ago, in the 70’s, I invited a couple of co-workers to hunt with me in my home area of NE Louisiana. We were to tent camp, so we packed up a truck and drove up to the place where we’d pitch the tent. It was sleeting by then, and dark, with temps in the high 20’s, but by golly we set up the tent and packed all our stuff inside. At some point in the wee hours, I really needed to ‘tinkle’, but going outside just wasn’t something I wanted to do. So, I unzipped the tent door flap and peed out the opening. The other guys were asleep. When we woke up the next morning, one guy retrieved his boots from outside the tent flap and remarked that one of them had an inch of ice inside. He couldn’t imagine how that happened to just one boot, since there was an awning flap above the door. I remarked that it was indeed odd.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8590611 05/04/22 02:26 AM
S
Stratgolfer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
A few years ago also sitting in a dark blind waiting for the sun to come up, me and another guy that was close enough to hear was serenaded by someone at a neighboring house practicing their cello. Was a little bit erie at first but kinda nice after I realized what it was.

"I was called by the Yorkers a outlaw, and later by the english a rebel" Ethan Allen
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8590617 05/04/22 02:32 AM
B
Bigfoot Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
About 8 or 10 years ago I was sitting in my favorite spot in the Sam Houston National Forest. This spot is deep in the forest about 1.5 miles back in up somewhere by stubblefield lake on Lake Conroe. I am sitting in my spot about mid afternoon and I am just enjoying the relaxing woods and beautiful surroundings and all of a sudden I hear this "WHOOOOOOP!!!!". I think nothing of it and then I hear it at least once more maybe twice. Very loud very distinctive. Never heard another noise or saw any people. Again this is 1.5 miles from the nearest road. I thought it was bigfoot hunters at first and somebody was about to walk up on me. Never saw anybody or anything.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8590775 05/04/22 01:13 PM
L
LarryT Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
Back in the early 70's I was roughly 10 & my dad had taken us fishing on the dam @ lake arrowhead. After getting board I would always walk the dam shoreline & see what I could find. I had found the heavy end of a cane pole & was using it as a walking stick. I got to the far end of the dam & saw something kind of looped out of the water. It was a medium green like a long hose but was about 6 inches around. there was 2 spots on top of the water each maybe a foot long with about a foot between them. I was curious so I tried to use my stick to drag it to the shore. About the third attempt I got my stick under it & lifted up & the end of that thing came up out of the water & narrowed to a point of light green. It was a Tail! When that tail hit the water that thing took off into deep water & left a big wake as it went. That thing must have been like a boa constrictor or large Python. Skeered me. I went to the top , walked the road to the truck & stayed there.

LarryT

Simper Fi.

Once & Always
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8591657 05/05/22 01:33 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
This one didn't happen to me and I'm pretty glad about that because I may have soiled myself if it had.

This happened on a place in south TX between Dilley, Cotulla, & Los Angeles.

I drop off my buddy to bow hunt in one of the ground blinds we made specifically for this. They were made from C Perlin and tin with one shooting window (12"w x 16"h) in front and small holes cut in each side to see through to allow you to see approaching animals. We'd place these in the brush a few feet off senderos and feed heavy in front of them from 10-30 yards. Usually they were tucked into really thick brush and we'd have to cut a shooting alley through to have the open lane to the sendero and it kept them very well concealed and the deer didn't pay them no mind whatsoever.

These stands had no floor in them at all. The one he was in was tucked in behind a huge pear bush and about 15' off the sendero. He said he was hearing a strange sound for a couple seconds and couldn't figure it out so he leaned forward to see if he could see something outside the blind below the window. As soon as he leaned forward a GIANT black indigo he said was easily 9' long lifted itself up off the ground and he was staring it eye to eye about 12" apart. Knowing that if he startled it he'd likely take a bite square in the face he stayed calm and lifted up the binoculars he had in one had slowly and got them up between his face and the snake's. He said as soon as he did he started slowly moving backwards and the snake tapped the binoculars 3 or 4 times with it's nose.

He told me he then proceeded to kick sand into any holes under the bottom perlin to close up any small gaps and packed it in tight with his foot. lmao

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8591714 05/05/22 02:39 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Not that strange but irritating. Back in I think it was 1987 I was on a 1,300 lease southwest of Atlanta, TX.
There were rules that we all agreed upon and one of them was no wives or girlfriends down there ever!

Opening morning I am in my tripod around 8:00 I hear people talking and coming towards me?
Turns out it was Erathkid and his wife Susan taking a casual stroll through the lease and just chatting away like they were in a public park hammer

texas flag

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8591748 05/05/22 03:22 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Went to Utah and were headed to spike camp on horses & mules. Got on a mule and proceeded on that long arduous, dangerous trail through perilous territory with amazing views, steep ascents and some hold your breath moments. Prayers were said with the hope of giving that there mule more sure footedness. Got near the top and holy cow, there were two goober doodles on mountain bikes up in front of us.

Sure they looked back and thought, "Look at those goober doodles on horses.".

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8591780 05/05/22 03:45 PM
B
BigfootWallace Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Google "Dublin, Tx UFO". That's my hometown and I saw many strange things that hunting season. F16's chasing lights, you name it. I saw some really weird stuff one night walking back to the truck after hunting. Within 2 days every single UFO group in the country was setup in our little downtown.

Never saw anything like that before or since.

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8591819 05/05/22 04:37 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
In 1981, a bunch of my high school friends and I were camped on our place on the YL Ranch southwest of Throckmorton. We had a large campfire going, it was a moonlit night and we were having fun. We heard engines roaring out of the north and a DC-3 with no lights passed over us around 100 feet or so. Certainly not much higher. Anyway, it turned and came back by and circled for a minute or so. I guess he finally realized we weren't there to move his dope so he continued off to the south.

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8591843 05/05/22 05:07 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Flown into cliff, December 1st 1992 during the middle of the night. This happened during Mule Deer Season in West TX -

"VALENTINE, Texas (AP) _ An unarmed Air Force B-1B bomber crashed in a fireball in the mountains of western Texas and there were reports today that at least one crewman survived.

Four people were aboard the plane from Dyess Air Force Base in Abilene when it went down late Monday during a training mission, said Capt. Harry Edwards, a Dyess spokesman. The plane was not carrying weapons, he said."

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: Choctaw] #8591861 05/05/22 05:23 PM
Inge0071 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Originally Posted by Choctaw
In 1981, a bunch of my high school friends and I were camped on our place on the YL Ranch southwest of Throckmorton. We had a large campfire going, it was a moonlit night and we were having fun. We heard engines roaring out of the north and a DC-3 with no lights passed over us around 100 feet or so. Certainly not much higher. Anyway, it turned and came back by and circled for a minute or so. I guess he finally realized we weren't there to move his dope so he continued off to the south.

That crew used to fly over our farm in McKinney. As a kid, the noise of those radials on the deck was terrifying. Flights stopped when the ranch in OK got busted. Foreman went to the federal pen. Ranch owner beat the rap, barely.

Pro Deo et patria
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: Inge0071] #8591907 05/05/22 06:29 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Inge0071

That crew used to fly over our farm in McKinney. As a kid, the noise of those radials on the deck was terrifying. Flights stopped when the ranch in OK got busted. Foreman went to the federal pen. Ranch owner beat the rap, barely.

Do you remember if it was red and white? I saw a DC-3 earlier that year around Throckmorton and it was red and white. It was sitting on someone's grass strip. I thought it was pretty cool at the time because you just didn't see that aircraft every day...or night.

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: Choctaw] #8591920 05/05/22 06:52 PM
Inge0071 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Do you remember if it was red and white? I saw a DC-3 earlier that year around Throckmorton and it was red and white. It was sitting on someone's grass strip. I thought it was pretty cool at the time because you just didn't see that aircraft every day...or night.

These bird(s) were not painted. They'd come through on clear nights, or days when the clouds were very low. They'd be no more than 30 feet off the top of the oak trees.

I didn't see it personally, but was told by a pilot I trust one rumbled to a stop at a tiny, uncontrolled strip north of Sherman in 82-84. The feds showed 5 minutes later. Only thing in it was a vacuum cleaner. Pilot was gone. Bird sat there for a few years. One day it simply disappeared, but he'd run over 200 feet of landing lights on the way out. No one local ever fessed up to fueling it or getting it ready to roll.

Pro Deo et patria
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: Hudbone] #8591928 05/05/22 07:04 PM
L
leswad Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Flown into cliff, December 1st 1992 during the middle of the night. This happened during Mule Deer Season in West TX -

"VALENTINE, Texas (AP) _ An unarmed Air Force B-1B bomber crashed in a fireball in the mountains of western Texas and there were reports today that at least one crewman survived.

Four people were aboard the plane from Dyess Air Force Base in Abilene when it went down late Monday during a training mission, said Capt. Harry Edwards, a Dyess spokesman. The plane was not carrying weapons, he said."

Coal mine

[Linked Image]

FJB
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: Choctaw] #8591931 05/05/22 07:11 PM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Inge0071

There are remains of a dirt runway on a ranch we bought several years ago that has a story. Present were the previous owners son with some shady characters and a deputy sheriff who by chance was on the property making out with his girl friend when a plane landed...... eek2

Make America Great Again

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide