Texas Hunting Forum

Strangest Event While Hunting

Posted By: BenBob

Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/26/22 02:03 PM

What is the strangest thing that has ever occurred to you while out hunting? It can be a game camera picture or simply a description of something odd that happened that you or someone you are close to was a witness to, an event that is unexplainable.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/26/22 02:22 PM

When I was 11 yrs old, I was sitting on a small board about 15' up in a thin elm tree. Back then we would get out pretty early, and it was pitch black. I'd been in the tree about five minutes when this horrible screeching begins. It could have been a bobcat or a lion, but whatever it was circled my tree in some dense shinnery brush for 10-15 minutes, yowling and shrieking at me. 'MeeeeeoooOOOWWWWWWWW'! 'YeeeeeooooowwwWLLLLL!!! Up and down in both volume and pitch it went. I have no idea why it was so pissed off at me but man, it put on a vocal show for sure. I strained and strained to see what it was but when the predawn started, it moved off, yowling as it went. I've never witnessed anything like it in the 41 years since.

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/26/22 02:27 PM

Was mule deer hunting in West Texas driving around looking for a spot and stalk opportunity about an hour before dark. We were moving into a long deep canyon that was probably a mile wide where we were. As we moved further south the canyon narrowed as we came closer to the head of the canyon. The mountains on both sides were mesas with rocky outcrops and flat mesas on top. We noticed what looked like a jet flying just below the top of the mesa. It was moving along at a pretty good clip and we were anticipating when it flew past the mesa where we could see it better. The exit from the canyon never happened as the second the jet should have had blue sky behind it and been easy to see, it disappeared without any explanation. Needless to say, we had no explanation for what happened. All 3 of us saw the same thing.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/26/22 03:20 PM

I was hunting with my dad when he got up to head to his deer blind. I was still getting my jacket on as he walked off. I started following his shadow since it was still dark out but the moon was bright. He walked right on passed his deer blind and I stayed on his trail since he was headed towards mine. We got to the creek and he went down into it. I came out on the other side and got in my blind but I didn't see him anymore. When I got back to camp later that morning he was already there. I asked where he had gone and he told me he was up in his blind. I told him him that I had followed him all the way to the creek and he said he didn't go that far. We still don't know who I was following. I only know it looked like his shadow in the dark and he was about 30 yards ahead the whole half mile.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/26/22 04:13 PM

Had a Llama come up to a tank we were Dove hunting at, no fences on this piece of property and it didn’t belong to the land owner.

[Linked Image]

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/26/22 04:44 PM

Was sitting in an elevated blind before light early one morning with my younger brother. He was probably 7 or 8 and I was 17. We had gotten comfortable and all of a sudden we hear the wire fence dividing our place from the next place over groan like someone was climbing over it. I looked out a window of the blind and could not see anything, as it was still real dark. We heard the fence screech again and then heard some footsteps. Then, the blind started shaking like someone was climbing up the ladder. I opened the door and said, "I don't think so." The shaking paused, then became more hurried as whoever it was hurried down the ladder. Whoever it was hit the ground and hurriedly hoofed it back to the fence and went back over the fence a lot faster this time than last. It was sort of funny until my little brother, who always had a nervous stomach threw open the door and puked down the ladder. We sat longer than normal that morning, but still could not avoid climbing down the ladder covered with vomit.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/26/22 06:28 PM

I was guiding on our ranch about 10 years back and had just dropped a couple of hunters into their blinds for the evening hunt when a low flying helicopter made a beeline for our wheat field. The pilot started chasing the herd of mule deer that had bedded in our wheat at a very very low altitude until he herded them completely off the ranch and down into the adjoining Canyon. To say I was pissed is an understatement. mad I filed a report with the Game Warden and FAA. What was really bizarre was the tail numbers on the copter didn't come back as registered when I checked the online FAA website. So either I wrote them down wrong or the FAA has terrible record keeping, or someone was breaking a TON of aviation laws that day. hammer

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/26/22 06:50 PM

Went to town during deer season one day to pick up some corn for feeders. Going back out to our place we went a back way where we were on a county maintained dirt road on the side of a pretty good size hill. We were driving slow with the entire bed of the truck piled high with sacks of corn. In front of us a group of Spanish goats started coming off the side of the hill going down. About the time we got even with where the goats went across the road and down the hill, an aoudad that was about half grown came off the hill and stood on the side of the road. We stopped to look at it through the back windshield and it gathered itself and looked like it was going to try to jump in the back of the truck. About the time it was just fixing to jump, I pulled forward, as I did not want it in the back of my truck. I am sure it was someones pet, but I did not want it to be mine. It would chase us until I stopped and then it would gather itself to jump and I would pull forward. It did this about 4 times. I am guessing that he was a corn-fed aoudad. We still laugh about that happening.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/26/22 07:17 PM

Nothing strange or unexplainable about a guy and a gal parked in a lease gate entrance, buck naked getting it on in the bed of a pick up truck while I was Spring Turkey hunting so I can't tell it on this thread.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/26/22 07:35 PM

peep
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/26/22 07:40 PM

BenBob's auodad experience reminded me - A very pissed off elephant cow in Zimbabwe took after our Land Cruiser. She wanted to get in the back, but it wasn't for corn or to be a pet. She wanted to stomp all our azzes. The PH would stop after a ways of going at high speed and here she'd come again. He thought it was hilarious. The trackers in the back, not so much.

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/26/22 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Nothing strange or unexplainable about a guy and a gal parked in a lease gate entrance, buck naked getting it on in the bed of a pick up truck while I was Spring Turkey hunting so I can't tell it on this thread.

Did either respond to any of your calls?

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/26/22 07:56 PM

Wait until someone releases their bunch of emus and ostriches into the wild without your knowledge. Then on your way you to the stand you hear another 2 legged creature keeping pace with you. You can't see it until you get about 20 yards out of the brush. Now your making a mad dash for the blind and its pace has also picked up. He was only thinking your were going to feed him. rofl.

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/26/22 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by BenBob
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

Did either respond to any of your calls?

Calls? I was very, very quiet.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/26/22 08:41 PM

I am sure I can think of more crazy stuff later but here is one that pops into my head from last year.

It was early bow season and I was walking to my stand about an hour before day break. It was completely pitch black darkness with no moon at all and I was not using a flash light either. I knew the roads and trails pretty well so I was determined to get to the stand without being seen.

I had probably gone about a half mile from my ATV and I got a whiff of something that I had smelled a thousand times. I stopped right in my tracks and told myself "thats the smell of a Boar and he is damn close". I reached up and flipped my cap light on and there he was right in the middle of my road just looking at me maybe 10'-12' away. I quickly drew my pistol and we had a stand off for a short while. He was right in my way and I really didnt want to shoot him unless I had to because I didnt want to spook anything before daylight.

Once it was clear he wasnt moving and wasnt scared I kept the pistol pointed at him and took a wide path around him keeping my eye on him the whole time. He never moved and never made a sound. He just watched me go around him. 999 times out of 1000 they will run before you ever get that close to them. I have no idea what was on his mind but he is really lucky he lived to see daybreak that morning.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/27/22 01:39 AM

Was around 12-13 years old, and my brother (16-17) and I were walking across the top of a mountain early one morning to deer hunt. Cheap K-mart flashlights that barely made a dent in the dark. Hodgepodge clothing that was either too big, too small, or not warm enough. We were ate up with deer hunting, and went every chance we got. As we crested the top, something very close to us sneezed…like a human. We weren’t freaked out at all, and absolutely didn’t immediately sit down butt to butt, load our guns, and jump at every noise until daylight. Never did figure out what sneezed.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/27/22 02:11 AM

Was fishing on Lake Livingston, enjoying the shade under the very large canopy of a tree. Suddenly this very large bird came crashing thru the limbs making a serious raucous. Being a very tall tree, we looked up and watched the bird pretty much pinball down every limb. Once the bird cleared the canopy and hit the water……it did not make a single ripple, not so much as a bubble. I still wonder about that to this day. That was 1974.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/27/22 03:50 AM

I don’t know if you would consider it an event, it didn’t “happen to me”. But I saw something pretty strange that this thread reminds me of. When I was living on post at Fort Hood, they were very strict about guns and weapons in the home. Probably because of the shootings down there. Every other post I have been to, you just register your guns on post at the same place as you register your car. Fort hood had a little more deliberate process that required the commanders signature on some paperwork, basically your commander had to assume risk of you keeping a rifle. And besides that, you were required to use a guide to hunt the military reservation with a rifle strictly so he can decide for you what is a safe shot, and what is not a safe shot. I just as soon not even hunt. So not wanting to get caught carrying a gun on and off post, I resorted to shooting an air rifle where I could hunt off post. Sent some emails to the bell county game warden, next thing you know I very explicitly had permission to do some varmint hunting in the Lampasas River bottoms with my .25 cal “pellet gun” that passed the test coming and going through the gates lol.

Anyway I used to park down there by the highway 195 bridge that crosses the Lampasas River, if I remember right that’s in a unincorporated area called “Ding Dong”. The river was too deep on the west/northwest side of the bridge, you have to swim or take a canoe. But you could wade the river for miles on the east/southeast side and I used to wear the bass out all through there. And one big deep undercut through that area caught some big cats wading and setting trot lines.

But anyway that bridge had some graffiti under it, mostly a lot of profanity, KKK stuff, satanic symbolism etc all over under there plus a few fire pits. One day I actually found the corpse of a puppy, maybe a year old, disembowled with a pentagram set up in bones probably chicken bones, and all that crap right under the damn bridge. Gave me the Heebie Jeebies but it wasn’t enough to deter me from going back. I didn’t even call the law or tell my wife, for fear of my wife forbidding me to go back or popping up on the blotter at work and having to explain myself. That might get my little bridge on the “black list” forbidding any soldiers to return.

Used to run around down there all night frog gigging too. No big bullfrogs down there but plenty of them, have filled buckets with them. Fry in heavy batter to make up for the small size lol.
Posted By: Sewer rat

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/27/22 04:17 AM

I was young maybe 6 or 7. We lived in New Mexico and hunted on public land in the Guadalupe mountains. We were camping with RVs in a remote area. Me and my parents in our RV and their friends in another RV parked beside ours. I was too young to hunt that year so they gave me some binoculars and I was the lookout. From our camping spot I spotted something shiny on a distant hill. I could see the glare from it but couldn't tell what it was. All week while there I pestered my parents to let me go hike over there and see what it was but they wouldn't let me they aid it was too far. We eventually packed up and left and their friends stayed another couple days. After we left their friend spotted the glare and decided to hike over and check it out. Turns out it was a dead dude and the glare was his canteen. I never really heard the whole story but he never was identified. I am sure glad I didn't go discover that at 7 years old.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/27/22 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by JCB
I am sure I can think of more crazy stuff later but here is one that pops into my head from last year.

It was early bow season and I was walking to my stand about an hour before day break. It was completely pitch black darkness with no moon at all and I was not using a flash light either. I knew the roads and trails pretty well so I was determined to get to the stand without being seen.

I had probably gone about a half mile from my ATV and I got a whiff of something that I had smelled a thousand times. I stopped right in my tracks and told myself "thats the smell of a Boar and he is damn close". I reached up and flipped my cap light on and there he was right in the middle of my road just looking at me maybe 10'-12' away. I quickly drew my pistol and we had a stand off for a short while. He was right in my way and I really didnt want to shoot him unless I had to because I didnt want to spook anything before daylight.

Once it was clear he wasnt moving and wasnt scared I kept the pistol pointed at him and took a wide path around him keeping my eye on him the whole time. He never moved and never made a sound. He just watched me go around him. 999 times out of 1000 they will run before you ever get that close to them. I have no idea what was on his mind but he is really lucky he lived to see daybreak that morning.

Talk about will power and self control. I probably would have shot him.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/27/22 04:49 AM

In a tower blind in the early AM deer hunting, was still dark. I was napping before first light. I feel/hear someone climbing up the ladder to the blind, woke me up. It was mojados, I kept quiet and still. There was no latch on the inside so they were able to open the door. When the door opened I cocked my 22 pistol and aimed between his eyes when I hit my head lamp. Scared the absolute chit out of him. They swung/jumped off that ladder like monkeys and I heard them hollering and running through the brush for probably 3 minutes. I heard chingow a few times. roflmao
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/27/22 05:23 AM

Don't know that it falls under strangest, but I was certainly in disbelief. On the way to the lease evening before opening morning, I had some driveshaft/ujoint trouble with my jeep or something like that I had to deal with. I arrived to the lease opening morning just as the sun was rising. Fortunately my stand was the first one off the road driving into the lease so I knew I would not disturb anyone. Through the gate, I parked, did not go to camp, and double timed it on foot to my tower stand. I climbed the ladder opened the door and some guy with a rifle is sitting in one of my two chairs. It was one of the other hunters on the lease that I did not know very well. He said he did not see me in camp so thought I would not mind. I was like "But dude, it's opening morning and you have your own stand!". He had a real nice stand/feeder setup too. He started to get down, but I told him he was not going to walk through my and other's hunting areas during opening morning prime to get to hi stand. So I let him just sit there and watch me hunt. It was a very awkward quiet morning hunt.

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/27/22 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sniper John
Don't know that it falls under strangest, but I was certainly in disbelief. On the way to the lease evening before opening morning, I had some driveshaft/ujoint trouble with my jeep or something like that I had to deal with. I arrived to the lease opening morning just as the sun was rising. Fortunately my stand was the first one off the road driving into the lease so I knew I would not disturb anyone. Through the gate, I parked, did not go to camp, and double timed it on foot to my tower stand. I climbed the ladder opened the door and some guy with a rifle is sitting in one of my two chairs. It was one of the other hunters on the lease that I did not know very well. He said he did not see me in camp so thought I would not mind. I was like "But dude, it's opening morning and you have your own stand!". He had a real nice stand/feeder setup too. He started to get down, but I told him he was not going to walk through my and other's hunting areas during opening morning prime to get to hi stand. So I let him just sit there and watch me hunt. It was a very awkward quiet morning hunt.

I bet the breakfast conversation was great.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/27/22 10:41 AM

Many years ago I was bowhunting antelope in the Pawnee Grasslands of Colorado. I was probably 50 miles from any 2 horse town and had walked miles through the prairie glassing and stalking. Down in one small coulee/ ravine I see a small car and for the life of me can't figure out who would be out here in a car. All kinds of stuff went through my mind as I made my way down to see if there was someone in the car. Nobody was there but the windows were down so I snuck around the ravine to look for someone and heard some noise coming out of a small depression. This skinny little very white guy was on top of this very large very white woman. She had to be 400 lbs and he was about 120 lbs. going at it on a blanket under the sun. Eeesh, wished I hadn't seen that but couldn't help laughing all the way out thinking she was going to go home sunburned except for a white outline of that skinny little guy etched in white from head to toe. And him thinking he was so far from civilization there was no chance of being caught just to have some guy standing there with a bow in his hand.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/27/22 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper John

I was wishing the story would end with you saying you shot a double drop tine ten pointer will he sat there and watched.
Posted By: Dimitri

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/27/22 12:47 PM

It was about an hour before dawn and a friend and I were walking in pitch darkness along the farm road leading to the distant mountains where we were going to hunt kudu. The cattle fence running along the right hand side of the road was in a bad state. The bottom 3 strands were broken so the first strand was about 50cm from the ground. We were both wearing long pants and long-sleeved shirts and we were shivering from the cold as we walked slowly and quietly along. Jackets would only have been required up until about 9am as, in that part of Limpopo province, winter day-time temperatures were around 75F and we didn't want to be lugging jackets around all day. The only sound - other than the odd jackal calling and the odd sniff from our runny noses - was the slight crunching of soil under our boots. Suddenly we heard the sound of two animals running towards us from about 30m away on our right. It sounded like the animals had paws rather than hooves. I raised my rifle and closed the bolt (I always keep the bolt open around camp and had forgotten to close the bolt when we left camp). The metallic sound of the bolt being worked was very loud and the animals pulled up about 15m or so from us but we still couldn't see them in the darkness. They made a hair-raising panting/growling sound ... grrh .. grrh .. grrh .. grrh .. grrh! Then they walked slowly in a semi-circle from our right to our left, twanging the fence as they went under it until we could no longer hear them. It felt like we waited for and hour to see what would happen next but it was probably only a minute before I whispered to my friend,
"What the hell was that?"
"I don't know but it scared the crap out of me!"
"Me too. Are you still cold? I'm sweating here."
"I'm boiling!"
We broke out into nervous laughter and discussed the incident for some time. We tied some toilet paper onto the barbed wire fence so that we could find the exact spot again later. We planned to search for the animals' tracks when we returned along the road in the afternoon. Unfortunately, the farmer's cattle had walked all over the spoor during the course of the day so we weren't able to find any tracks to help us identify what animals had given us such a fright.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/27/22 12:50 PM

I once leased a place next to a nudist camp/resort. Nuff said. Guess I should have sold tickets.

Climbed up a ladder to get into my ladder stand. Helluva big coon was already there. He wanted to get through the door where I was standing. We enjoyed each other’s company all the way to the ground.
Posted By: ScrapIron

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/29/22 12:47 AM

not strange but kinda funny

i had hung a tree stand on the only tree big enough to support one on the ranch down south overlooking a little overflow waterhole at a windmill.
somehow the only dang squirrel for miles around decided that the flipdown foam seat cushion was a good place to make a nest. about 15ft up on the climbing sticks i reached over and unsnapped the seat and flopped it down and came literally face to face with a suprised squirrel with huge teeth and long sharp claws
how i didnt falloff the lord only knows but my wife heard me scream like a girl about 500 yds away in her stand
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/29/22 01:25 AM

Kinda cool.
Had killed my elk in Wyoming late September 2016 and the next morning I was headed to the meat locker in Jackson just to have it chilled since we process our own meat.
On the way out driving through the sagebrush I look to my left and here are 3 Grizzly Bears. I stopped my truck and rolled down the window while grabbing my camera. They were headed right to me, started taking pictures like I was at the zoo. It was a momma and 2 big cubs, the sow even stood up to figure out what the truck was. I have plenty of cool up close Grizzly pictures. There was no way I was getting out of that truck. A little man on my shoulder reminded me they'll kill you and eat you.
Now for the bad news, somehow my camera got switched to VGA Mode the lowest picture resolution possible. My wife using her computer skills was able to clean the pictures up. The pictures are still nice but I always wonder how they would have been.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/29/22 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY
Had a Llama come up to a tank we were Dove hunting at, no fences on this piece of property and it didn’t belong to the land owner.

[Linked Image]

i despise those Horse/Giraffe inbreds.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/29/22 01:59 AM

From memory, someone's goats didn't like them either.
Posted By: Catperch

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/30/22 01:07 PM

I posted this on another thread before,, but this is probably the one that sticks out for me..........
I was running lines on the river. Tied up to a tree that had a big limb hanging over my boat only about 10-15 feet away. A squirrel was on that limb barking at me and acting a straight fool, which was weird in itself because I was way down in the river bottom where only wild squirrels would be. In a minute she disappeared around the tree. As I sat there a minute I watched another squirrel crawling out of the hollow in the trunk. As I look closer that squirrel had a 5 ft water snake by the neck dragging it out of the den. He drug it out on the limb that was over my boat and shook the snake until it was hanging down over the water and dropped it in the water. As soon as he let it go he ran over to the first squirrel I saw and they started humping like two squirrels do when they drag a snake out of their den. All this took place right over my boat. The snake almost fell in my boat

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/30/22 01:14 PM

I also had a bobcat try to jump in the ladder stand with me while bow hunting. I had a little limb that was in my way, and had nothing to cut it with.. I beat on it until I could bend it over out of my way.. I guess that bobcat thought I was an injured squirrel or something.. It came running up to the base of the stand staring at me. As I was sitting still trying to figure out how to get drawn, he crouched down like he was about to jump in the stand. As I thought, this sonofagun is trying to jump up here, I stood up and yelled to run it off. Not too crazy, but interesting.......
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 04/30/22 02:54 PM

I hunted till past dark on a really windy evening. I gave up and headed down to set the pig trap that was next to the feeder. I was down wind of the feeder in a rather strong wind when about a dozen pigs came out of the woods to the feeder. I was standing in the trap about 15ft from the feeder and the pigs were right there next to me, just feet away. They paid me no attention as grabbed my 308 from the Gator and shot one of them.
I though it was ironic that I was the one in the pig trap.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/03/22 11:29 PM

While bow hunting at about 17 in a new area near my Grampa's farm I found a tree stand for an evening hunt and decided to try it out, It wasn't to long and a doe and 2 yearlings came under the stand. I shot the doe but I got terrible penetration and the doe ran off. Feeling I hadn't made a kill shot ( Multiple deer were legal) I decided to take one of the yearlings that remained after the doe took off. I place this shot well and the yearling dropped. My buddy and I searched for several hours hours for the doe and never found her.

The following Saturday I went back to the same stand in the morning darkness and did a hunt.

After an unproductive morning I climb down and notice an aluminum arrow bent and broken in 3 pieces under the stand steps,
After thinking about it I broke out in a cold sweat as this arrow was my arrow that I shot the doe with the week before.
My arrows were totally unique 27 inches with 2 red and one white feather Fletching.
To this day It blows my mind how an arrow in a deer was able to get bent and broken in 3 pieces and end up under that stand.
I must say I thought something supernatural was in play and often thought about it over the years walking alone in the darkness.

57 years have gone by and no anticipated repercussions have been experienced. Maybe when I go over to the other side I get the answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/04/22 01:28 AM

Years ago, in the 70’s, I invited a couple of co-workers to hunt with me in my home area of NE Louisiana. We were to tent camp, so we packed up a truck and drove up to the place where we’d pitch the tent. It was sleeting by then, and dark, with temps in the high 20’s, but by golly we set up the tent and packed all our stuff inside. At some point in the wee hours, I really needed to ‘tinkle’, but going outside just wasn’t something I wanted to do. So, I unzipped the tent door flap and peed out the opening. The other guys were asleep. When we woke up the next morning, one guy retrieved his boots from outside the tent flap and remarked that one of them had an inch of ice inside. He couldn’t imagine how that happened to just one boot, since there was an awning flap above the door. I remarked that it was indeed odd.
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/04/22 02:26 AM

A few years ago also sitting in a dark blind waiting for the sun to come up, me and another guy that was close enough to hear was serenaded by someone at a neighboring house practicing their cello. Was a little bit erie at first but kinda nice after I realized what it was.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/04/22 02:32 AM

About 8 or 10 years ago I was sitting in my favorite spot in the Sam Houston National Forest. This spot is deep in the forest about 1.5 miles back in up somewhere by stubblefield lake on Lake Conroe. I am sitting in my spot about mid afternoon and I am just enjoying the relaxing woods and beautiful surroundings and all of a sudden I hear this "WHOOOOOOP!!!!". I think nothing of it and then I hear it at least once more maybe twice. Very loud very distinctive. Never heard another noise or saw any people. Again this is 1.5 miles from the nearest road. I thought it was bigfoot hunters at first and somebody was about to walk up on me. Never saw anybody or anything.
Posted By: LarryT

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/04/22 01:13 PM

Back in the early 70's I was roughly 10 & my dad had taken us fishing on the dam @ lake arrowhead. After getting board I would always walk the dam shoreline & see what I could find. I had found the heavy end of a cane pole & was using it as a walking stick. I got to the far end of the dam & saw something kind of looped out of the water. It was a medium green like a long hose but was about 6 inches around. there was 2 spots on top of the water each maybe a foot long with about a foot between them. I was curious so I tried to use my stick to drag it to the shore. About the third attempt I got my stick under it & lifted up & the end of that thing came up out of the water & narrowed to a point of light green. It was a Tail! When that tail hit the water that thing took off into deep water & left a big wake as it went. That thing must have been like a boa constrictor or large Python. Skeered me. I went to the top , walked the road to the truck & stayed there.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/05/22 01:33 PM

This one didn't happen to me and I'm pretty glad about that because I may have soiled myself if it had.

This happened on a place in south TX between Dilley, Cotulla, & Los Angeles.

I drop off my buddy to bow hunt in one of the ground blinds we made specifically for this. They were made from C Perlin and tin with one shooting window (12"w x 16"h) in front and small holes cut in each side to see through to allow you to see approaching animals. We'd place these in the brush a few feet off senderos and feed heavy in front of them from 10-30 yards. Usually they were tucked into really thick brush and we'd have to cut a shooting alley through to have the open lane to the sendero and it kept them very well concealed and the deer didn't pay them no mind whatsoever.

These stands had no floor in them at all. The one he was in was tucked in behind a huge pear bush and about 15' off the sendero. He said he was hearing a strange sound for a couple seconds and couldn't figure it out so he leaned forward to see if he could see something outside the blind below the window. As soon as he leaned forward a GIANT black indigo he said was easily 9' long lifted itself up off the ground and he was staring it eye to eye about 12" apart. Knowing that if he startled it he'd likely take a bite square in the face he stayed calm and lifted up the binoculars he had in one had slowly and got them up between his face and the snake's. He said as soon as he did he started slowly moving backwards and the snake tapped the binoculars 3 or 4 times with it's nose.

He told me he then proceeded to kick sand into any holes under the bottom perlin to close up any small gaps and packed it in tight with his foot. lmao
Posted By: Stub

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/05/22 02:39 PM

Not that strange but irritating. Back in I think it was 1987 I was on a 1,300 lease southwest of Atlanta, TX.
There were rules that we all agreed upon and one of them was no wives or girlfriends down there ever!

Opening morning I am in my tripod around 8:00 I hear people talking and coming towards me?
Turns out it was Erathkid and his wife Susan taking a casual stroll through the lease and just chatting away like they were in a public park hammer

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/05/22 03:22 PM

Went to Utah and were headed to spike camp on horses & mules. Got on a mule and proceeded on that long arduous, dangerous trail through perilous territory with amazing views, steep ascents and some hold your breath moments. Prayers were said with the hope of giving that there mule more sure footedness. Got near the top and holy cow, there were two goober doodles on mountain bikes up in front of us.

Sure they looked back and thought, "Look at those goober doodles on horses.".
Posted By: BigfootWallace

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/05/22 03:45 PM

Google "Dublin, Tx UFO". That's my hometown and I saw many strange things that hunting season. F16's chasing lights, you name it. I saw some really weird stuff one night walking back to the truck after hunting. Within 2 days every single UFO group in the country was setup in our little downtown.

Never saw anything like that before or since.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/05/22 04:37 PM

In 1981, a bunch of my high school friends and I were camped on our place on the YL Ranch southwest of Throckmorton. We had a large campfire going, it was a moonlit night and we were having fun. We heard engines roaring out of the north and a DC-3 with no lights passed over us around 100 feet or so. Certainly not much higher. Anyway, it turned and came back by and circled for a minute or so. I guess he finally realized we weren't there to move his dope so he continued off to the south.

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/05/22 05:07 PM

Flown into cliff, December 1st 1992 during the middle of the night. This happened during Mule Deer Season in West TX -

"VALENTINE, Texas (AP) _ An unarmed Air Force B-1B bomber crashed in a fireball in the mountains of western Texas and there were reports today that at least one crewman survived.

Four people were aboard the plane from Dyess Air Force Base in Abilene when it went down late Monday during a training mission, said Capt. Harry Edwards, a Dyess spokesman. The plane was not carrying weapons, he said."
Posted By: Inge0071

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/05/22 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Choctaw
In 1981, a bunch of my high school friends and I were camped on our place on the YL Ranch southwest of Throckmorton. We had a large campfire going, it was a moonlit night and we were having fun. We heard engines roaring out of the north and a DC-3 with no lights passed over us around 100 feet or so. Certainly not much higher. Anyway, it turned and came back by and circled for a minute or so. I guess he finally realized we weren't there to move his dope so he continued off to the south.

That crew used to fly over our farm in McKinney. As a kid, the noise of those radials on the deck was terrifying. Flights stopped when the ranch in OK got busted. Foreman went to the federal pen. Ranch owner beat the rap, barely.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/05/22 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Inge0071

That crew used to fly over our farm in McKinney. As a kid, the noise of those radials on the deck was terrifying. Flights stopped when the ranch in OK got busted. Foreman went to the federal pen. Ranch owner beat the rap, barely.

Do you remember if it was red and white? I saw a DC-3 earlier that year around Throckmorton and it was red and white. It was sitting on someone's grass strip. I thought it was pretty cool at the time because you just didn't see that aircraft every day...or night.
Posted By: Inge0071

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/05/22 06:52 PM

Do you remember if it was red and white? I saw a DC-3 earlier that year around Throckmorton and it was red and white. It was sitting on someone's grass strip. I thought it was pretty cool at the time because you just didn't see that aircraft every day...or night.

These bird(s) were not painted. They'd come through on clear nights, or days when the clouds were very low. They'd be no more than 30 feet off the top of the oak trees.

I didn't see it personally, but was told by a pilot I trust one rumbled to a stop at a tiny, uncontrolled strip north of Sherman in 82-84. The feds showed 5 minutes later. Only thing in it was a vacuum cleaner. Pilot was gone. Bird sat there for a few years. One day it simply disappeared, but he'd run over 200 feet of landing lights on the way out. No one local ever fessed up to fueling it or getting it ready to roll.
Posted By: leswad

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/05/22 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Flown into cliff, December 1st 1992 during the middle of the night. This happened during Mule Deer Season in West TX -

"VALENTINE, Texas (AP) _ An unarmed Air Force B-1B bomber crashed in a fireball in the mountains of western Texas and there were reports today that at least one crewman survived.

Four people were aboard the plane from Dyess Air Force Base in Abilene when it went down late Monday during a training mission, said Capt. Harry Edwards, a Dyess spokesman. The plane was not carrying weapons, he said."

Coal mine
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/05/22 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Inge0071

There are remains of a dirt runway on a ranch we bought several years ago that has a story. Present were the previous owners son with some shady characters and a deputy sheriff who by chance was on the property making out with his girl friend when a plane landed...... eek2

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/06/22 02:45 PM

Went out dove hunting and set up on an old pipeline. Most of the dove were flying to me and continuing down the cleared pipeline to a stock tank if I missed. I saw one smoking it to me from a little distance and fired a shot. I connected and put the shotgun in my left hand. I caught the dove on the fly in my right hand and fired to second base for a double play. Well, I caught the dove on the fly anyway.

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/08/22 11:16 PM

I shared this one before on this forum.
One evening we had a hot whitetail doe come running to the feeder during the rut. She was followed by a few bucks and some more bucks joined the party. She was mounted a few times and the bucks kept coming for her, chasing her all over the place. Right at dark she finally collapsed under a buck, I though from exhaustion. The bucks tried to lift her up with their antlers, one even got on his knees trying to negotiate a way to get to her.
It was dark by the time the bucks moved on. We thought the doe might have got up and left. When we went to check where she was, she was still there, graveyard dead.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/09/22 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
One evening we had a hot whitetail doe come running to the feeder during the rut. She was followed by a few bucks and some more bucks joined the party. She was mounted a few times and the bucks kept coming for her, chasing her all over the place. Right at dark she finally collapsed under a buck, I though from exhaustion. The bucks tried to lift her up with their antlers, one even got on his knees trying to negotiate a way to get to her.
It was dark by the time the bucks moved on. We thought the doe might have got up and left. When we went to check where she was, she was still there, graveyard dead.

eeks333
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/09/22 05:24 PM

deer 🦌 banana 🦌 banana 🦌 banana 🦌 banana violin
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/11/22 08:42 PM

Went out dove hunting and set up on an old pipeline. Most of the dove were flying to me and continuing down the cleared pipeline to a stock tank if I missed. I saw one smoking it to me from a little distance and fired a shot. I connected and put the shotgun in my left hand. I caught the dove on the fly in my right hand and fired to second base for a double play. Well, I caught the dove on the fly anyway.

I shot one that fell and broadsided my lab. He had the strangest look on his face. I think it actually embarrassed him.

Also had a hawk swoop down and snatch up a dove that I had just shot.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/11/22 11:19 PM

Many years ago after the market had dropped out on them, had a emu come walking up to my stand in East Texas. Thankfully, it left and walked off after 10 minutes or so.

However, the strangest thing by far was watching what turned out to be a Russian satellite that broke up as it re-entered the atmosphere. I was coon hunting with an old timer and we had a great view of it from the pipeline where we were standing at the time. At first we thought it was a large bottle rocket, but then realized it was much higher and wasn't moving as a fast as a low-flying bottle rocket. It must have taken it at least a minute or two to trace across the sky before all the pieces had burned up. Didn't know what it was until I read about it in next morning's paper.

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/12/22 12:21 AM

Is the Game Warden still looking for me, it was an accident rofl bolt

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/14/22 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die

I shot one that fell and broadsided my lab. He had the strangest look on his face. I think it actually embarrassed him.

Also had a hawk swoop down and snatch up a dove that I had just shot.

I had a friend shoot a dove that hit me right in the face as it came down. I heard the shot and then SMACK. I thought I had been shot.

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/14/22 02:09 PM

Not hunting but fishing, late ‘80s
We were crappie fishing on Canyon Lake one night when I had to take a leak. We were tied to a big dead cypress, and I stood up the bow of our little John boat to relieve myself. About mid-stream a 4ft snake fell (jumped and attacked) out of the tree and landed on me. I went into full out panic and tripped and fell into the boat crushing our tackle box. During the screaming "snake! snake!" and thrashing about I knocked our lantern over breaking it and crushing the mantles. In almost pure darkness my brother was swinging the oar madly at the deck hoping to get a piece of the snake, that he could not see. To make matters worse I was now trying to dodge a snake and an oar and was scared for my life. Thanks to a little bit of moonlight my brother spotted the snake and switched into high gear wailing on it. After about 20 good whacks he finally got in a good lick and the snake managed to make it over the side. The snake was quite broken up, but still swam away. How I did not pee myself is a miracle.
Soon after this the boat was stored in a barn for about 30 years before it was decided that my daughter could have it. We pulled it out in the light and she asked "how did that bench get so bent up?"

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/14/22 02:30 PM

Simple, if that was me I would describe those screams as being a war cry.
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/14/22 11:56 PM

We were crappie fishing on Canyon Lake one night when I had to take a leak. We were tied to a big dead cypress, and I stood up the bow of our little John boat to relieve myself. About mid-stream a 4ft snake fell (jumped and attacked) out of the tree and landed on me. I went into full out panic and tripped and fell into the boat crushing our tackle box. During the screaming "snake! snake!" and thrashing about I knocked our lantern over breaking it and crushing the mantles. In almost pure darkness my brother was swinging the oar madly at the deck hoping to get a piece of the snake, that he could not see. To make matters worse I was now trying to dodge a snake and an oar and was scared for my life. Thanks to a little bit of moonlight my brother spotted the snake and switched into high gear wailing on it. After about 20 good whacks he finally got in a good lick and the snake managed to make it over the side. The snake was quite broken up, but still swam away. How I did not pee myself is a miracle.
Soon after this the boat was stored in a barn for about 30 years before it was decided that my daughter could have it. We pulled it out in the light and she asked "how did that bench get so bent up?"

Best thing I've read on hear in a while cheers

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/16/22 01:47 AM

My goodness this made me laugh. It reminds me of almost the exact same story my uncle has told me 1000 times, except when it happened to them, his buddy climbed out on top of the outboard motor and pooped his pants during the commotion.
Posted By: CAMAROWITHBASS

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/17/22 12:26 AM

Went to a place to help clear out does because there was over population.

Well only 1 doe came out and I shot it with my 30.06 down it went and stayed down.
30 minutes or so later I decided to call it quits and went over to it to pick it up.
I got about 10 yards away, it sprang up and ran off and jumped a fence onto the neighboring
property.

Not a single drop of blood was shed where she laid down.

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/17/22 01:47 PM

Tale of the Spike that would not die nuts

Many moons ago one morning I was hunting out of the fork of a big oak tree in Jacksboro, my friend and his son were in their stand about 300 yards away.

A 2 1/2 year old spike casually walked by around 60 yards away so I put the cross hairs on my 270 on the mid back side of the shoulder and shot. The spike started doing the slow stutter death walk, so I chambered a second one and put the cross hairs on the shoulder again, I could see blood coming out from the first shot so I knew it was just a case of the walking dead.

Put another in the shoulder and it continued it's slow erratic death walk, chambered a third one put the scope on the shoulder and there is a lot of blood pumping out of there and put a third shot into to him and it stumbles off into some light brush.

I thought I would give it about 10 minutes just to be sure for this was one tough little bastage. Not two minutes later here comes my bud and his son, I get down tell them what transpired.
We walk over to where it went and there he was 10 yards away laying up against an Oak tree, staring at us. His shoulder is just covered in blood so we watch him for a minute and I decide to put my fourth and final bullet in him.

rifle I blasted him from 10 yards away and the spike jumps up runs right past us like he had never been shot and was gone into the thick woods never to be seen again confused2

Been hunting a long time before that and usually they drop where they are standing or maybe stumble off for 10 yards or so, never before or after had that happen to me.

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/17/22 02:26 PM

In 40 years never had this happen. I took my rifle out and fired a shot to check zero. Nice! on target. I laid the rifle on my tailgate. I went around and grab a new box of ammo. I loaded a 4 rounds laid the rifle on the tailgate put the ammo away. I walked away for 10 minutes. As I was walking i heard pigs at the feeder. I made it to the rifle and took aim. Blam! The pig ran off I felt a sting in my left shoulder, figured it was a wasp. I walk to the feeder no blood, or anything to indicate a hit. I look at the rifle and about an inch of the muzzle is split right at the tip. I check my shoulder and there is a small piece of shrapnel sticking out. Never have I had such an experience. My advice is always wear safety glasses when shooting. Strange things can happen and obviously do.

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 05/21/22 12:07 PM

The older daughter and I were pig hunting in Devine on a hot muggy evening. One of them evenings where you just sit there and sweat, it was miserable.
At the edge of dark about 30 pigs came out about 30 yards away, they were grouped up on a pile of corn. She sat down the bolt gun and grabbed the AR. She hit one, then another, then commenced to spraying the area with the remaining 18 rounds.
It took a minute for the dust to clear from the 10 seconds of mayhem. She got four of them and a few blood trails that we did not track
I didn't think this through, I was sitting to her right as she went ape crazy on the hogs. As the casings were ejecting, they were landing on me, some went down my shirt. They sizzled as the hit. I had burns/blisters on my neck, left arm, chest, and many on my stomach. I was hopping around trying to shake them loose, I swear every casing got me. I'll never tuck in my shirt while hunting again.
Posted By: Soda4Rocky

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting - 06/15/22 07:21 PM

Not really a "strange" event but I thought a funny story:

Buddy and I went to some land that we had gotten permission to hunt on. We wanted to see the layout, find places for feeders etc. As we were walking we saw two sows about 150 yards away, but in amongst some trees. Didn't really have a clear shot and when we tried to get closer, they ran off. We walked back to the trail we were on and heard "little grunts". We found where it was coming from and decided to see what would happen if we moved the brush and tree branches to uncover our find. Well, 5 fairly small pigs started scattering all over the place. Our first reaction? Run after them! Well, those little bastards were shifty as hell. Just fast enough to keep away from us. I am not sure how old they were, but they were about the same size as a football. Anyway, we focused our attention on ONE piglet but he kept escaping us.

So after a few minutes of endless running and watching my buddy BUST HIS [censored] (hilarious) trying to catch it, I decided it was time for drastic measures. The damn thing was too little to shoot moving that fast (for me anyway) So I decided to go old school. I picked up a pretty good sized pine tree branch and restarted the chase. I got about 8-10 feet away and launched a left-handed missile at this little sucker and NAILED IT. It was definitely dazed, but definitely unable to take off. We picked it up and decided to try and use it as an "organic" hog call. No luck. When all was said and done after an hour of walking around with it, we decided to let it go so we could see him again in the future.

I will never forget the day I knocked out a piglet with a tree branch and the hilarity that ensued for a few minutes while chasing him. Photo below after the events unfolded:

[img]http://ibb.co/FmPwqXf[/img]

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum