Forums46
Topics538,383
Posts9,736,507
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Big Boars are AMAZINGLY tough !!! [Re: 1860.colt] #8566493 03/28/22 07:13 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by colt.45
[Linked Image]

Them b some whickit looking bullets...
flag

They're good on hogs. Anything that shoots a .284" bullet.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

But a 'Wicked' bullet is a 540 gr. hardcast from my 458 SOCOM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Big Boars are AMAZINGLY tough !!! [Re: Wilson Combat] #8567364 03/30/22 12:39 AM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I’m sorry but comparing the Hamr to the 308 Win is a ridiculous as comparing the Grendel to the 6.5 Creedmoor or the 6.8 SPC to the 270 Winchester.

I have no doubt it’s fantastic in the AR15 as are the 6.8 Spc and 6.5 Grendel. On the subject of hogs, some can be very hard to kill no matter what you shoot them with. Most aren’t.

Re: Big Boars are AMAZINGLY tough !!! [Re: scottfromdallas] #8567410 03/30/22 01:38 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
I’m sorry but comparing the Hamr to the 308 Win is a ridiculous as comparing the Grendel to the 6.5 Creedmoor or the 6.8 SPC to the 270 Winchester.

I have no doubt it’s fantastic in the AR15 as are the 6.8 Spc and 6.5 Grendel. On the subject of hogs, some can be very hard to kill no matter what you shoot them with. Most aren’t.

Nobody actually did that. Go back and read again. ONLY velocity was mentioned (since it was a subject brought up concerning hydrostatic shock) and the .308 is a familiar cartridge. The kinetic energy between the two was never the subject (and it was stated). Sheeesh....comprehension folks.

Re: Big Boars are AMAZINGLY tough !!! [Re: Wilson Combat] #8567662 03/30/22 01:09 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by flintknapper

Nobody actually did that. Go back and read again. ONLY velocity was mentioned (since it was a subject brought up concerning hydrostatic shock) and the .308 is a familiar cartridge. The kinetic energy between the two was never the subject (and it was stated). Sheeesh....comprehension folks.

You made a corrective statement that was incorrect. Comparison with .308 has been made several times in this thread. I brought it up showing the same results of a hog running happens with other calibers like .308. Then you said that you weren't familiar with .300 ham'r but that you figured it must not be too far behind .308. Bill then said it killed better than a .308. These are most assuredly comparative statements. kmon11 made the comparison of results using .308 and several other calibers. These are comparative statements.

Scott NEVER mentioned kinetic energy. You, however, did, along with energy.
The heavier bullet will retain its energy and velocity better downrange....but at 125 yds. the impact velocity of the two (125 gr. Ham'r and 150 gr. .308) are not very much different.

As you say, "Sheeesh....comprehension folks"

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 03/30/22 01:14 PM.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Big Boars are AMAZINGLY tough !!! [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8567670 03/30/22 01:20 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

You made a corrective statement that was incorrect. Comparison with .308 has been made several times in this thread. I brought it up showing the same results of a hog running happens with other calibers like .308. Then you said that you weren't familiar with .300 ham'r but that you figured it must not be too far behind .308. Bill then said it killed better than a .308. These are most assuredly comparative statements. kmon11 made the comparison of results using .308 and several other calibers. These are comparative statements.

Scott NEVER mentioned kinetic energy. You, however, did, along with energy.
The heavier bullet will retain its energy and velocity better downrange....but at 125 yds. the impact velocity of the two (125 gr. Ham'r and 150 gr. .308) are not very much different.

As you say, "Sheeesh....comprehension folks"

Brian, I simply acknowledged that I knew the 'energy' figures would be different, seeking to avoid that comparison (as was bound to happen) since my point revolved around VELOCITY and nothing more. Both subjects covered in the quote you cited, right. You still don't see that?

Me thinks you are just looking for argument.

Last edited by flintknapper; 03/30/22 01:21 PM.

Re: Big Boars are AMAZINGLY tough !!! [Re: flintknapper] #8567721 03/30/22 02:06 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Scott wasn't discussing energy, so I don't see why you called him out on it. And, comparisons have been made with .308 even by you and on the topic of energy. Again, your words, "Still you don't see that?"

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 03/30/22 02:08 PM.

Re: Big Boars are AMAZINGLY tough !!! [Re: flintknapper] #8568454 03/31/22 01:29 PM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

It actually was mentioned on this thread. I’m not dogging the round, if you read what I posted.

Re: Big Boars are AMAZINGLY tough !!! [Re: scottfromdallas] #8570581 04/03/22 01:35 PM
Wilson Combat Offline OP
Boar Meister
OP Offline
Boar Meister
After killing hundreds of hogs with the .308 and well over 1000 with the 300 HAM'R I can honestly tell you that I see very little difference in terminal performance on hogs and deer between the two. No argument the .308 has more velocity and energy, but REAL WORLD experience has proven this doesn't necessarily make it kill any better. Shot placement and bullet performance on impact are always the key to clean kills, end of story!

The other caliber that I've shot lots of hogs with is the 6.8 SPC and I can assure you that both the 300 HAM'R and .308 kill hogs and deer better. By "better" I'm referring to putting them on the ground quickly and not having to go into a thicket to look for them.

It really comes down to margin of error. You can kill hogs all day long with a 5.56 shooting them behind the ear, but your margin for error is very small compared to shooting them in the neck or shoulder with a .30 cal..

Re: Big Boars are AMAZINGLY tough !!! [Re: Wilson Combat] #8574173 04/08/22 04:36 AM
D
djones Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
i dont know much about anything going on here, so ill just leave this and say nothing.

Re: Big Boars are AMAZINGLY tough !!! [Re: Wilson Combat] #8574178 04/08/22 05:19 AM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Wow !!!

Two years ago when 300 Bludgeon was released I scoffed at the marketing saying that it performs as well or better than 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel.

I was booed out of the main thread and it’s all good , I dip in and out to see what REAL WORLD results folks are getting (cue the JAWS theme music). DJones illustrates the point quite well and so I guess I’ve conceded at this point to accepting the initial marketing claims.

But then this thread quickly turned into an indirect marketing message that twice now clearly says that the 300 ballping kills as effectively as a 308 Winchester. My oh my we’ve elevated the claims me’thinks to generate more hype and sales , let’s not think the thread her on THF isn’t a major resource for generating sales…

I’m with Scottfromdallas on this one, I don’t see anyway the two calibers kill the same and in the real world I’ve hunted 6.5 grendel and creemoor , 6.8 Spc and 270 win, they kill plenty different.

You know the truly interesting thing is, in two more years I’m betting we will read from a 300 Slammer celebrity that it kills just as well as a 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM…..

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: Big Boars are AMAZINGLY tough !!! [Re: Wilson Combat] #8574293 04/08/22 01:26 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
After killing hundreds of hogs with the .308 and well over 1000 with the 300 HAM'R I can honestly tell you that I see very little difference in terminal performance on hogs and deer between the two. No argument the .308 has more velocity and energy, but REAL WORLD experience has proven this doesn't necessarily make it kill any better. Shot placement and bullet performance on impact are always the key to clean kills, end of story!

I felt the same way going from a .308 to 6.5 Grendel.

Re: Big Boars are AMAZINGLY tough !!! [Re: Wilson Combat] #8574490 04/08/22 05:23 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Nice video, DJ!

I moved from a .308 to a 300 Blackout. Lot's of folks denigrate the 300BLK, and I'll certainly admit that it has nowhere near the equivalent knockdown power of a .308, but I've been pretty happy with it overall. The ammo is cheaper, the weapon is lighter, and since I don't typically find myself taking shots at distances more than 125 yards, I find it very suitable.

Every now and then I think about returning to my AR-10, but the 'ease of use' factor (lighter weight, mainly) causes me to continue to pick up the 300BLK.

To each his own. If you're happy and you're killing hogs, keep at it!

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Big Boars are AMAZINGLY tough !!! [Re: Pig_Popper] #8574544 04/08/22 06:58 PM
Wilson Combat Offline OP
Boar Meister
OP Offline
Boar Meister
Originally Posted by Pig_Popper
Wow !!!

Two years ago when 300 Bludgeon was released I scoffed at the marketing saying that it performs as well or better than 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel.

I was booed out of the main thread and it’s all good , I dip in and out to see what REAL WORLD results folks are getting (cue the JAWS theme music). DJones illustrates the point quite well and so I guess I’ve conceded at this point to accepting the initial marketing claims.

But then this thread quickly turned into an indirect marketing message that twice now clearly says that the 300 ballping kills as effectively as a 308 Winchester. My oh my we’ve elevated the claims me’thinks to generate more hype and sales , let’s not think the thread her on THF isn’t a major resource for generating sales…

I’m with Scottfromdallas on this one, I don’t see anyway the two calibers kill the same and in the real world I’ve hunted 6.5 grendel and creemoor , 6.8 Spc and 270 win, they kill plenty different.

You know the truly interesting thing is, in two more years I’m betting we will read from a 300 Slammer celebrity that it kills just as well as a 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM…..

Just to set the record straight, the following is the first line on the WC 300 HAM'R page on the website and has been there since we introduced the cartridge. Therefore this claim is not an "elevation". Also I still stand behind this statement 100%!

The 300 HAM’R® was developed with one thing in mind, OPTIMAL TERMINAL PERFORMANCE. It offers near .308 Winchester effectiveness on game animals with amazing accuracy and low recoil in the lightweight and compact WC15 platform.

Re: Big Boars are AMAZINGLY tough !!! [Re: Wilson Combat] #8574569 04/08/22 07:38 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
You inspired me MR Wilson

I pulled out the 14.5” 308 and 125 grain sierra PHs and I’m enroute to the property now looking for an amazingly though hog to the play pitch and catch with.

I gotta know - in the last two years how many 300 Hog Hammer barrels and rifles have y’all sold ? Outside of LE and other special customers would I be correct in saying it’s your number 1 seller for the civilian market , by far ….

Do you plan to attend the NRA show next month ? What’s going to be the new items of interest shown there ? It’d well past time for a DJones 300 Ham’r action figure with signed photo !!!

Have a good weekend , I’ll post my vid with 308 goodness next week here

Real World PigPopper

Re: Big Boars are AMAZINGLY tough !!! [Re: Wilson Combat] #8574694 04/08/22 11:42 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Not owning any of the calibers argued about here (yet), I can’t comment on their effectiveness. But I can comment on slow bullets with probably little hydrostatic shock but great killing power. My old 35 Remington shot a 200 gr bullet at 2100 fps and went all the way through anything I ever shot. And it killed em dead and quickly. My 260 and 270 doesn’t kill ‘em any better, just further away. I’m thinking that the 300 Hamr works about the same way, with the right bullet.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Big Boars are AMAZINGLY tough !!! [Re: Wilson Combat] #8574781 04/09/22 02:11 AM
C
Chopperdrvr Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
C
Wow! It's amazing how many things I have learned from these forums. All this time I thought Dead was Dead. Now I have learned that there are calibers that kill something to a much deader dead than others. I will have to re-configure all my hunting rifles since the only kill things dead and not the real deader dead. This is going to cost me a bunch of money now.

Re: Big Boars are AMAZINGLY tough !!! [Re: Pig_Popper] #8574879 04/09/22 12:35 PM
Wilson Combat Offline OP
Boar Meister
OP Offline
Boar Meister
Originally Posted by Pig_Popper
You inspired me MR Wilson

I pulled out the 14.5” 308 and 125 grain sierra PHs and I’m enroute to the property now looking for an amazingly though hog to the play pitch and catch with.

I gotta know - in the last two years how many 300 Hog Hammer barrels and rifles have y’all sold ? Outside of LE and other special customers would I be correct in saying it’s your number 1 seller for the civilian market , by far ….

Do you plan to attend the NRA show next month ? What’s going to be the new items of interest shown there ? It’d well past time for a DJones 300 Ham’r action figure with signed photo !!!

Have a good weekend , I’ll post my vid with 308 goodness next week here

Real World PigPopper

Hope you get a big one

Actually our best selling calibers are in this order:
.300BLK
300 HAM'R
6.5CM
.308 WIN

I hope to be at the NRA show, but I'm having hip replacement surgery on Apr 28 so we'll just have to see....

Re: Big Boars are AMAZINGLY tough !!! [Re: Chopperdrvr] #8574884 04/09/22 12:41 PM
Wilson Combat Offline OP
Boar Meister
OP Offline
Boar Meister
Originally Posted by Chopperdrvr
Wow! It's amazing how many things I have learned from these forums. All this time I thought Dead was Dead. Now I have learned that there are calibers that kill something to a much deader dead than others. I will have to re-configure all my hunting rifles since the only kill things dead and not the real deader dead. This is going to cost me a bunch of money now.

The point of this conversation was.....

Some calibers and bullets "incapacitate" hogs faster than others and some hogs like the one in my first post of this thread are tougher than others and just don't realize when their dead.

I much prefer a hog to drop DRT (bang flop in redneck) right where it was standing when I shot and not have to go looking for it in the thicket even though it's just as dead. This especially applies to summer in TX when all the snakes are out!

Re: Big Boars are AMAZINGLY tough !!! [Re: Wilson Combat] #8574941 04/09/22 03:25 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
LOL, Bill, snakes aren't only out in the summer in Texas. They are out anytime it is warm enough. We have had numerous threads here on THF on people encountering rattlesnakes and copperheads pretty much every month of the year.

Re: Big Boars are AMAZINGLY tough !!! [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8574968 04/09/22 04:29 PM
Wilson Combat Offline OP
Boar Meister
OP Offline
Boar Meister
LOL, Bill, snakes aren't only out in the summer in Texas. They are out anytime it is warm enough. We have had numerous threads here on THF on people encountering rattlesnakes and copperheads pretty much every month of the year.

Well I don't like them anytime of the year smirk

Fortunately I haven't seen any yet this year

Re: Big Boars are AMAZINGLY tough !!! [Re: Wilson Combat] #8575069 04/09/22 09:12 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Hey best of luck with the surgery MR Wilson , I wish you a speedy and full recovery.

If you’re at NRA I’ll come by and say hi.

Re: Big Boars are AMAZINGLY tough !!! [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8575098 04/09/22 09:49 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F

Technically, Bill was right when he said: This especially applies to summer in TX when all the snakes are out!

The rest of the time 'some' of the snakes are out. wink

Re: Big Boars are AMAZINGLY tough !!! [Re: der Teufel] #8576773 04/12/22 03:14 PM
P
Porkypopper Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
👍

Re: Big Boars are AMAZINGLY tough !!! [Re: Wilson Combat] #8576807 04/12/22 03:49 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Wilson Combat
[quote=Double Naught Spy]

Well I don't like them anytime of the year smirk

Fortunately I haven't seen any yet this year

I don't care to run into them anytime either! I usually wear my gaters all year long. They also have the added benefit of protecting the lower legs from briars and other pokies.

Saw my first copperhead this year in late March on a gravel road. Saw another snake (non-poisonous) two nights ago, again on a gravel road. Of course, they are out and getting warm on the radiant heat from the sun-baked gravel, but they are also really easy to see there. No telling how many we pass by in the grass at night and never know it.

Re: Big Boars are AMAZINGLY tough !!! [Re: Wilson Combat] #8578151 04/14/22 04:16 AM
D
Dzhitshard Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
lve shot a water moccasin and 3 noisy danger noodles in the last week. I've seen 2 rattlers on the same property over the last couple years

Callgon take me away. At least I have a couple hundred pounds of .22lr

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide