Forums46
Topics538,024
Posts9,732,013
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: MrMadMac] #8564975 03/26/22 12:33 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
The areas with outrageous property taxes either have counties and schools that are spending like crazy or the schools are under Chapter 41 (Robin Hood) and sending a good portion of collected taxes to other districts. Stop the Robin Hood nonsense and let the state figure out how to fund that without property taxes. That would be a good start. As far as the rest of the county and school spending goes, that is still somewhat under local control. The state did step in on property valuations and forced values up in a backdoor effort to fix funding while publicly touting they capped property taxes. Keep an eye on that other hand.

The more we allow convoluted, complex and even hidden taxing schemes the harder it will be for taxpayers to control it and easier for politicians and bureaucrats to abuse and manipulate them. That said, the notion of going straight sales tax does show us just how much it takes and how high taxes really are.

Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: MrMadMac] #8564987 03/26/22 12:49 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Hire it done. You only pay half of what they save you. Try OConner.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: MrMadMac] #8564995 03/26/22 12:59 PM
Anton Chigurh Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I dislike high property taxes as much as the next guy, and I pay more prop tax than mortgage interest at this point. But I’m also skeptical that eliminating property taxes completely and replacing with sales tax is feasible. If the number stated above are correct, 25% sales tax won’t be popular. It will be argued that it will unfairly impact lower income earners, and nobody wants to see already skyrocketing prices on everything go up that much more overnight.

I would support a reduction in property taxes (maybe 50%) accompanied by a lesser increase in sales tax, to more fairly distribute the tax burden. But as always I don’t trust government officials to use our tax dollars wisely so agreeing to pay more on any type of tax is a hard pill to swallow

Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: Paluxy] #8565021 03/26/22 01:51 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Paluxy
The areas with outrageous property taxes either have counties and schools that are spending like crazy or the schools are under Chapter 41 (Robin Hood) and sending a good portion of collected taxes to other districts. Stop the Robin Hood nonsense and let the state figure out how to fund that without property taxes. That would be a good start. As far as the rest of the county and school spending goes, that is still somewhat under local control. The state did step in on property valuations and forced values up in a backdoor effort to fix funding while publicly touting they capped property taxes. Keep an eye on that other hand.

The more we allow convoluted, complex and even hidden taxing schemes the harder it will be for taxpayers to control it and easier for politicians and bureaucrats to abuse and manipulate them. That said, the notion of going straight sales tax does show us just how much it takes and how high taxes really are.

I live in a Robin Hood District...our taxes are outrageous.

I know properties right up the road from me that are in a different district that are double what mine is worth and pay the same or even less taxes than I do

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: MrMadMac] #8565023 03/26/22 01:59 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
bang

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: 6InARowMakeItGo] #8565210 03/26/22 07:04 PM
glens Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Thundervee
The OP sounds as if he needs to go back to tff

rofl

Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: MrMadMac] #8565216 03/26/22 07:20 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Raise the sales tax and lower property tax…..

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: txtrophy85] #8565248 03/26/22 08:58 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
What about wealthy people who rent and own no property? What about them?

They exist too you know.

Also, what about the people who are land rich and cash poor. Should they have to sell or lease their land if the taxes become a burden?

Eliminating property tax and increasing sales tax seems to be the most fair way

2cents Leases i was on, the money went ta pay the taxes....
Agree all land tis not the same... Prices per acrege vary..
Land across the road lived on was owned by a lawyer..
He bought, or got it in settlement, & sold it in small sections...

Agree with glen's post...

low-income workers get hit hard enough.. Check out renting prices, & these gas/prices...

flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: MrMadMac] #8565278 03/26/22 10:12 PM
N
Nathan at Fork Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
This would be a real kick in the balls to 100% disabled veterans. One of the biggest benefits we receive is a 100% property tax exemption. Unless they will issue us cards exempting us from sales tax, this will suck.

[Linked Image]
Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: MrMadMac] #8565288 03/26/22 10:43 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I hate paying property taxes as much as the next guy. Frivolous and non-transparent spending just gets my blood boiling. Those making the spending decisions need to do a better job.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: MrMadMac] #8565298 03/26/22 11:06 PM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
They take property tax revenue from wealthier counties to fund poorer ones so it’s already a progressive tax. I am all for completely eliminating property tax. It’s out of control. When you are old and living on a fixed income, property tax like Texas has is a killer. People should not lose the home they own over a tax.

Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: 1860.colt] #8565307 03/26/22 11:16 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by colt.45

They exist too you know.

Also, what about the people who are land rich and cash poor. Should they have to sell or lease their land if the taxes become a burden?

low-income workers get hit hard enough.. Check out renting prices, & these gas/prices...

flag

I think you ought to be taxed every time you make post

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: scottfromdallas] #8565308 03/26/22 11:19 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
They take property tax revenue from wealthier counties to fund poorer ones so it’s already a progressive tax. I am all for completely eliminating property tax. It’s out of control. When you are old and living on a fixed income, property tax like Texas has is a killer. People should not lose the home they own over a tax.

texas salute

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: MrMadMac] #8565315 03/26/22 11:33 PM
S
Sailor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Mr. Mac... That's the biggest lode of horse dung, I've read in
a long time..
First of all, whether you own land or not. You still pay property taxes.
And you go downhill from there.. Troll
The next time you decide to write a dissertation about something.
Make sure, you know something about the subject..

Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: Nathan at Fork] #8565336 03/27/22 12:09 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by Nathan at Fork
This would be a real kick in the balls to 100% disabled veterans. One of the biggest benefits we receive is a 100% property tax exemption. Unless they will issue us cards exempting us from sales tax, this will suck.

Granted I am not a Vet, but anytime the federal gov can kick a veteran in the nuts they will. Look at the [censored] show the VA is. It is obvious they give zero F's about Veterans.

[Linked Image]
Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: Bee'z] #8565362 03/27/22 12:49 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by 2Beez

Granted I am not a Vet, but anytime the federal gov can kick a veteran in the nuts they will. Look at the [censored] show the VA is. It is obvious they give zero F's about Veterans.

First the property tax is a STATE tax,not federal tax. Second you admitted your ignorance about the VA, therefore your opinion is about as useless as Joe Biden's. In August I will have been under the VA system for 53 years, I get exemplary medical care. I have also used the so called "civilian" side of medical care during that time period. I would say the VA has done a better job than some of the civilian Doctors I have dealt with.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: dogcatcher] #8565365 03/27/22 12:54 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by dogcatcher

First the property tax is a STATE tax,not federal tax. Second you admitted your ignorance about the VA, therefore your opinion is about as useless as Joe Biden's. In August I will have been under the VA system for 53 years, I get exemplary medical care. I have also used the so called "civilian" side of medical care during that time period. I would say the VA has done a better job than some of the civilian Doctors I have dealt with.

Well folks meet the unicorn of the VA!!! I see why you get such great care lol

[Linked Image]
Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: Bee'z] #8565370 03/27/22 01:05 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Well folks meet the unicorn of the VA!!! I see why you get such great care lol

From a survey that was compiled the Veterans of Foreign Wars, 82% of the veterans were happy with their healthcare, while only 63% or Americans are happy with their health care.

[Linked Image]
Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: MrMadMac] #8565378 03/27/22 01:16 AM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Retired AF here. No VA but I've been on TRICARE since I retired in 93. Could not ask for better DRs in all those years. Top notch providers most of which are tops in their fields, including a few PHD's.
My only complaint is the govt reneged on the promise of "free" health care for life.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: txtrophy85] #8565385 03/27/22 01:33 AM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted by colt.45

They exist too you know.

flag

I think you ought to be taxed every time you make post

bang you & several others constantly complain about my post ...
Yet yall get on here & do more whinning & cry ing about how bad ya'll got it...
Several times offered ta switch...
Ya'lls got...
[Linked Image]

Thats sad...

flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: MrMadMac] #8565410 03/27/22 02:04 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
The argument is even dumber than the post. I second the motion for JP to tax you on every post.

[Linked Image]
Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: MrMadMac] #8565412 03/27/22 02:06 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Do what?

Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #8565451 03/27/22 03:11 AM
M
missingAK Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Raise the sales tax and lower property tax…..

Yep. I'm a property "owner" who will never really "own" my property as long as the current property tax system is in place.

I agree that raising the sales tax will hurt some more than others...but we'll all be hurting. If we are unified in our distaste for the sales tax, and the efficiency of those who are spending it, we have a much larger, stronger voice to oppose and regulate the rates. The gov doesn't decide that...we do. We have a voice with our vote. If we are all hurt by the sales tax rates, we can ALL vote for change.

As it stands now, the majority of state tax income comes from property and business owners. That simply isn't a fair system. When a large enough portion of the population doesn't own property or run a business...there is no longer a voice for the property owners and our taxes go up each year. Meanwhile, those with no skin in the game (non-property tax payers) have no incentive to fight for lowering the tax rate or demanding accountability for how it is spent.

Don't like the sales tax rate?...1. Vote, 2. buy used on the person-to-person market, 3. Learn to fix and reuse current items 4. get out of the consumer mindset that thinks we have to buy the latest and greatest all the time....just to name a few.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened." Winston Churchill
Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: dogcatcher] #8565460 03/27/22 03:35 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
]From a survey that was compiled the Veterans of Foreign Wars, 82% of the veterans were happy with their healthcare, while only 63% or Americans are happy with their health care.

Your obama care bill [censored] me till I figured it out. You are a manipulative old fart and still a POS at the end of the day. It is what is what it is

[Linked Image]
Re: Repealing Texas Property Taxes is a Progressive Trap [Re: MrMadMac] #8565477 03/27/22 04:28 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Your ignorance exceeds your brilliance.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide