Re: ATN [Re: Outdoor Legacy] #8438226 11/03/21 08:46 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy
So it sounds like it's the 160 version....if so, ya he's not going to ever see more than blobs. I bought one just to test it when they first came out and I ended up selling it on eBay WAAY below cost just to dump it and I felt back for whoever bought it. By far his best bet is to put it back in the box, stick it on eBay, take whatever he gets for it and chalk it up to an expensive life lesson. The longer he keeps it, the less it will be worth.

OK, thanks. I think he's about reached that decision as well! "Blobs" just don't get 'er done. It's just a shame ATN continues to put out products that so underperform both their advertising and their customers' expectations. Their customer base has got to be shrinking. Even with customers who want to "ease" into the world of thermal by buying entry level products, they can't be happy with a product that doesn't even come close to performing the way ATN claims they will. Truth in advertising? I don't think so. My ancient Gen 1 Yukon, made in Russia, gives better performance than his scope!

Re: ATN [Re: mikei] #8438308 11/03/21 10:40 PM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by mikei

OK, thanks. I think he's about reached that decision as well! "Blobs" just don't get 'er done. It's just a shame ATN continues to put out products that so underperform both their advertising and their customers' expectations. Their customer base has got to be shrinking. Even with customers who want to "ease" into the world of thermal by buying entry level products, they can't be happy with a product that doesn't even come close to performing the way ATN claims they will. Truth in advertising? I don't think so. My ancient Gen 1 Yukon, made in Russia, gives better performance than his scope!

Mike, we've all been predicting this for years but they continue to sell scopes day after day, year after year and your buddy's story is just repeated over and over. Until there comes a day when very few new people are entering the market (I obviously don't want to see that happen) I don't think we'll see much change. They have slick advertising, great prices and their products are mostly sold in places where uninformed potential customers are looking....gun shows, Optics Planet, Amazon, local gun shops etc. Nothing against gun shows or local shops, I'm just saying that's where a lot of ATN's are available for sale and guys are walking in and impulse buying thermal. It's an interesting business model and it's been successful for them.

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
The Late Night Vision Show - Co-Host
[Linked Image]
Night Vision, Thermal & Accessories
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: ATN [Re: Outdoor Legacy] #8438359 11/03/21 11:21 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy

Mike, we've all been predicting this for years but they continue to sell scopes day after day, year after year and your buddy's story is just repeated over and over. Until there comes a day when very few new people are entering the market (I obviously don't want to see that happen) I don't think we'll see much change. They have slick advertising, great prices and their products are mostly sold in places where uninformed potential customers are looking....gun shows, Optics Planet, Amazon, local gun shops etc. Nothing against gun shows or local shops, I'm just saying that's where a lot of ATN's are available for sale and guys are walking in and impulse buying thermal. It's an interesting business model and it's been successful for them.

He's certainly learned his lesson, and after the bleeding stops, I am going to suggest that he contact you folks there at Outdoor Legacy and get some competent, caring advice from true professionals in the area of night optics of all kinds..

Re: ATN [Re: mikei] #8438601 11/04/21 04:11 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
FYI, he still won't be able to see the impact holes in a target with thermal when it comes to zeroing, at least not reliably so. He will need to either use a day optic to see the holes (spotting scope) or walk up to the target. Then use the one shot feature to make adjustments accordingly. It will probably take 2-4 shots, realistically to get adjusted and verified.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: ATN [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8438685 11/04/21 11:36 AM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
FYI, he still won't be able to see the impact holes in a target with thermal when it comes to zeroing, at least not reliably so. He will need to either use a day optic to see the holes (spotting scope) or walk up to the target. Then use the one shot feature to make adjustments accordingly. It will probably take 2-4 shots, realistically to get adjusted and verified.

OK, thanks, DNS. From what I saw looking through the scope during the day, he would not be able to see a 50 caliber hole, much less a smaller one. He's got a good spotting scope to use. However, at this point he's so disgusted and angry that I think he'll just try to sell it, take the loss, lick his wounds, and stay out of the thermal game all together. He definitely will not buy a thermal scope at a gun show ever again!

Re: ATN [Re: mikei] #8438847 11/04/21 02:12 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I just heard from my buddy with the sick thermal scope. He finally broke down and contacted ATN about the issue of not being able to focus. They, after several back-and-forths and about an hour, agreed with him that the scope needed help. They assigned him an RMA, but, of course, asked for a copy of proof of purchase. Needless to say he doesn't have that. ATN then informed him that there is a $35 examination fee, then $125/hour repair charge, plus parts, if needed, if they determined that the scope was out of its 3 year warranty. He has decided that he will wait and see what the ATN techs say: if it's fixable for $160, he'll have them do the repair; if it's going to cost big bucks, he'll just have them return it and he'll sell it for whatever he can get. Not sure that's a wise idea, but it's his money, his decision. I told him that a reputable thermal dealer on the forum had told me that even brand new out of the box units did not deliver very clear images, so he's been forewarned! Keep your popcorn handy. . .

Re: ATN [Re: mikei] #8438984 11/04/21 04:12 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The neighbor has a buddy with an ATN thermal scope. They came over a while back to sight it in, and it was a problem even at 50 yards. I looked through it and was not impressed. If that’s the best it can do in daylight, I wouldn’t have one. Further, the neighbor and the buddy shared the same blind recently - the neighbor with his ATN infrared and the buddy with the thermal. They swapped rifles to see which was most useful. The buddy has since ordered an infrared scope.

As for me, I will likely order the same IR scope that mikei uses.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: ATN [Re: 603Country] #8439041 11/04/21 05:13 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by 603Country
The neighbor has a buddy with an ATN thermal scope. They came over a while back to sight it in, and it was a problem even at 50 yards. I looked through it and was not impressed. If that’s the best it can do in daylight, I wouldn’t have one. Further, the neighbor and the buddy shared the same blind recently - the neighbor with his ATN infrared and the buddy with the thermal. They swapped rifles to see which was most useful. The buddy has since ordered an infrared scope.

As for me, I will likely order the same IR scope that mikei uses.

My SIghtmark Wraith is a winner in my limited experience with it. I am amazed at the clarity of the images and the power of the IR illuminator that comes with it. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to get into night vision hunting but can't quite gather together the coins to get into thermal.

Re: ATN [Re: mikei] #8439241 11/04/21 09:32 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

I just heard from my buddy with the sick thermal scope. He finally broke down and contacted ATN about the issue of not being able to focus. They, after several back-and-forths and about an hour, agreed with him that the scope needed help. They assigned him an RMA, but, of course, asked for a copy of proof of purchase. Needless to say he doesn't have that. ATN then informed him that there is a $35 examination fee, then $125/hour repair charge, plus parts, if needed, if they determined that the scope was out of its 3 year warranty. He has decided that he will wait and see what the ATN techs say: if it's fixable for $160, he'll have them do the repair; if it's going to cost big bucks, he'll just have them return it and he'll sell it for whatever he can get. Not sure that's a wise idea, but it's his money, his decision. I told him that a reputable thermal dealer on the forum had told me that even brand new out of the box units did not deliver very clear images, so he's been forewarned! Keep your popcorn handy. . .

I'll bet they can't fix it in 1 hour's time.

Is your buddy in the market for some bridges, or maybe some inland coastal property?

Re: ATN [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8439341 11/04/21 11:46 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M

I'll bet they can't fix it in 1 hour's time.

Is your buddy in the market for some bridges, or maybe some inland coastal property?

He really is a pretty bright guy but I think he's in total denial that he made an expensive mistake. Like the old saying goes: When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging. He's still digging. . .

Re: ATN [Re: mikei] #8449842 11/16/21 01:42 AM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Just heard from my buddy in Llano. ATN returned his scope and he took it out for a spin. Claims that the focus is "better," but that he can't see even a .30 bullet hole at 50 yards, so the "one shot zero" is a bunch of marketing BS." He says he can tell his cows from the deer, but it's basically "blob shooting," and he isn't very happy with that. The only good thing is that ATN honored the warranty, even though he was not the original owner. He says he'll be taking it hunting for the next few weeks, but that he's going to sell it and get out of the thermal business altogether. A shame.

Re: ATN [Re: mikei] #8449912 11/16/21 02:43 AM
Funkeruski Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Pardon my bluntness, but your friend is an idiot.

Re: ATN [Re: Funkeruski] #8450003 11/16/21 05:05 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Funkeruski

I think that is going a bit overboard. The guy is simply ignorant of the subject and naive about his expectations. That doesn't make him an idiot, but maybe more of a victim, of both himself and the person who sold him the ATN.

Re: ATN [Re: Funkeruski] #8450291 11/16/21 03:22 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M

Chill out Funkeruski! I don't pardon your bluntness; it's inexcusable. You make a rather unkind statement about a person you don't even know basing the statement on a third party's report of a single incident. Not cool, bud, not cool at all.

Re: ATN [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8450451 11/16/21 06:37 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

I think that is going a bit overboard. The guy is simply ignorant of the subject and naive about his expectations. That doesn't make him an idiot, but maybe more of a victim, of both himself and the person who sold him the ATN.

Agreed

We are all ignorant of lots of topics. That doesn't make all people idiots.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide