Forums46
Topics538,027
Posts9,732,109
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: I haven’t seen 1 single deer in 2 seasons [Re: NastyNate33] #8109899 12/31/20 11:17 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by decook
This is one of the saddest threads I've read on this forum. Texas is supposed to be renowned for our hospitality and our go to attitude to assist someone reaching out for help. There are a couple that are somewhat helpful. There's posts on here that are completely WRONG. There's posts that are silly, and most egregious of all posts that are flat out condescending. Good Lord, the man isn't asking for anyone's spot.

NastyNate33, I hunt public too. My reasons for switching from private lease to public are my own. And it has taken me a couple of years to start seeing some success. I have drawn doe tags for SHNF for the last 3 years and filled it this year for the 1st time. I also aggressively hunted the same small sounder of pigs for 3 weeks, and finally outsmarted them and got my shot. I was within 10 feed of that darn sounder once sneaking up on their bedding area. I could smell them.

So, it can be done. And when you succeed, it is so gratifying that it is almost as good as getting your first ever deer. What you take out of the public forest, you have earned.

Now, I read what you are doing. It's all the right things - hunting the wind, scouting, etc. I'm going to PM you, hopefully you are still around the THF and realize that there are some of us willing to understand and help. That's what this forum is supposed to be all about.

"The Best Place in Texas to Talk Hunting"

LOL, how do you help a person who basically posts a "I'm done with Texas because I have never, EVER seen a deer anywhere here, not even driving down the road, despite the fact that I am a 19 year old experienced hunter who always tags out really quickly in a state 800 miles away"???? Gotta like the fact that he has a day and a half left for which he is wanting some sort of miracle tips to save his hunting experience. How do you help a person who has been hunting Texas for at least a couple of years and who has never EVER seen a single Texas deer ANYWHERE, not even driving down the road? This isn't just an issue about hunting public land, but an issue about visual acuity. He apparently is in Galveston and has been hunting Houston forest. I gotta admit, he isn't likely to see a lot of deer on Galveston Island. However, on the mainland and once you get off the interstate highway, he should have been able to see plenty of deer along the back roads, LOL. There may be a reason why he hasn't see deer while driving, but it isn't because of a lack of Texas deer, but his problem with sampling.

I'll be honest with you, Nate's post reminded me strongly of the post several years ago by a guy who basically said, 'screw Texas, I'm going but to Utah to do some real deer hunting.'

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: I haven’t seen 1 single deer in 2 seasons [Re: decook] #8110262 01/01/21 02:49 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by decook
This is one of the saddest threads I've read on this forum. Texas is supposed to be renowned for our hospitality and our go to attitude to assist someone reaching out for help. There are a couple that are somewhat helpful. There's posts on here that are completely WRONG. There's posts that are silly, and most egregious of all posts that are flat out condescending. Good Lord, the man isn't asking for anyone's spot.

NastyNate33, I hunt public too. My reasons for switching from private lease to public are my own. And it has taken me a couple of years to start seeing some success. I have drawn doe tags for SHNF for the last 3 years and filled it this year for the 1st time. I also aggressively hunted the same small sounder of pigs for 3 weeks, and finally outsmarted them and got my shot. I was within 10 feed of that darn sounder once sneaking up on their bedding area. I could smell them.

So, it can be done. And when you succeed, it is so gratifying that it is almost as good as getting your first ever deer. What you take out of the public forest, you have earned.

Now, I read what you are doing. It's all the right things - hunting the wind, scouting, etc. I'm going to PM you, hopefully you are still around the THF and realize that there are some of us willing to understand and help. That's what this forum is supposed to be all about.

"The Best Place in Texas to Talk Hunting"

I agree. It is sad. Unbelievable, really. I can’t believe that anyone with an IQ high enough to buy a hunting license can’t find a whitetail in Texas.

Re: I haven’t seen 1 single deer in 2 seasons [Re: NastyNate33] #8110323 01/01/21 03:42 AM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by NastyNate33
I bow hunt public land. I find deer dropping and tracks Litteraly everywhere and I try and set myself up where they will be walking through. There are new tracks every day so I assume their moving a lot at night. Some stands I can see far but most I’m surrounded by cover and a trail or a field on the other aide. I hunt the edges but I don’t like hunting the bigger fields because the wind is constantly changing directions. As of right now I’m right on the Texas Louisiana border in newton county

Every deer picture i get is night time. Except for 1 young buck.

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: I haven’t seen 1 single deer in 2 seasons [Re: NastyNate33] #8111557 01/02/21 02:07 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
There is definitely lots of deer and pigs out that way, and some of Texas’ most beautiful country too.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: I haven’t seen 1 single deer in 2 seasons [Re: NastyNate33] #8111563 01/02/21 02:14 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Maybe try the Angelina. I know a guy with a place out there that kills pigs all the time, sees plenty of deer. Anywhere around Sam Rayburn, lots of pigs and deer. I have even seen alligators about an hour south of Newton, in Vidor. Of all places, by a steel mill when I was waiting to get loaded up with coils.

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 01/02/21 02:15 AM.

Re: I haven’t seen 1 single deer in 2 seasons [Re: NastyNate33] #8111571 01/02/21 02:20 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Good people out that way too. I tried to lease from my buddies grandpa In Broaddus, his answer was he has a family been leasing there for 20 years and they are pretty much here to stay till I die, lol. I wasn’t about to try to outbid or steal it in any way, I just didn’t know. But I promise you, if you haven’t even seen many squirrels you are just in the wrong place. In a hour in any direction you got thick woods rich with natural resources, including the most remote wilderness area in Texas that isn’t privately held or in a park where you can’t hunt I think you might need to walk a little bit further from the trail.

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 01/02/21 02:21 AM.

Re: I haven’t seen 1 single deer in 2 seasons [Re: NastyNate33] #8111619 01/02/21 02:53 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Also to hunt these national forests that surround you down there in Newton, the permits are free on a walk-in basis only. So take a day off and go get one next year.

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 01/02/21 02:53 AM.

Re: I haven’t seen 1 single deer in 2 seasons [Re: NastyNate33] #8111637 01/02/21 03:08 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Last post I promise, people on this forum can be pretty generous even after you piss them all the way off. I should know. My problem is that by the time I figured out Texas public land, and also had been invited to hunt with people on this very forum I had pissed all the way off, I was too busy working to take advantage of it.

I have hauled coiled steel, lumber, shingles, OSB, etc all through pretty much every part of rural East Texas and Lousiana and have nearly hit deer or pigs on almost every run. Have nearly hit pigs even in Hutchins near Dallas.
II have run through Newton as well. You could easily set yourself up on a small lease in one of those timber places for about $1000 a year or maybe less somewhere near you out there. Look up Georgia Pacific in Camden or Corrigan, those are big lumber mills about a hour west of Newton. A little lease in a big forest where they log and plant out there could be awesome and cheap. I would imagine you could find a place within 30-45 minutes of Newton out there on GP property. And those woods around Camden/Corrigan are loaded with deer, I have seen them sprinting across the road in broad daylight.

Ya don’t know what your missing.

Re: I haven’t seen 1 single deer in 2 seasons [Re: NastyNate33] #8118029 01/06/21 09:21 PM
E
Exiled Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
I'm curious to know how big the property you hunt is, and what is around it. I'm also curious to know if you're running cameras (throughout the season, or preferably year round) out there, and the challenge is that the deer are heavily nocturnal (which would change during the rut and depending on weather conditions)?

I have a good friend who hunts exclusively public land in Central Texas. He's shot at least 2 does every year over the last ten years and several good bucks, all archery. One buck was a 12-pt mature deer with plenty of mass, at least 6 years old. He's a good hunter, but he said almost every hunter in both of those locations will see deer regularly. Maybe not close enough to take a shot, though.

"Who Dares, Wins"
Instagram: @HCConnected
Re: I haven’t seen 1 single deer in 2 seasons [Re: NastyNate33] #8118053 01/06/21 09:39 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Coyotes ate all the deer.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide