texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
trophy_seeker, Huntin-fool, BigO73, Txhunting guy, Hizenbay
69965 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 110,447
bill oxner 91,415
SnakeWrangler 63,400
stxranchman 59,968
Gravytrain 46,717
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
BMD 41,232
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics606,154
Posts11,279,520
Members84,965
Most Online19,184
Feb 5th, 2020
Print Thread
Sump pump #7993554 09/30/20 04:36 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,234
H
huntindude Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
H
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,234
I planted my plot with a 90% chance of rain. Went from 90 to 10% fast. I have a pond near the plot that would require 700 ft of water hose to water plot. Pond is 4 acres and nearly full. I have a dock that I can tie onto. The pump is a submersible 1hp with a 2 inch discharge. Reduce it down to 3/4” for sprinkler. Would it work?

Re: Sump pump [Re: huntindude] #7993577 09/30/20 04:54 PM
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 10,304
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
R
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 10,304
At least down to 1”



Re: Sump pump [Re: huntindude] #7993597 09/30/20 05:02 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,234
H
huntindude Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
H
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,234
I don’t want to spend much $ on this project so I am going to use water hose available or bought cheap. I would have to buy all new to go all 2”.

Re: Sump pump [Re: huntindude] #7993603 09/30/20 05:06 PM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 37,689
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
R
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 37,689
How big a plot and do you have the ability to move the sprinkler?

I bought a 1/4 horse pump from northern to fill water stations we move water in 300 gallon totes. The pump is rated at 1300+ gph or 22 galons per minute at its fully inch or 1.25 inch discharge. First used it on a 3/4 garden hose and it took an hour to drain a 300 gallon tote.

Necking down the size will significantly reduce your flow. Put and inch and a quarter hose on it instead of necking down to a garden hose and it pumps nearly 20 gal a minute.


It's hell eatin em live
Re: Sump pump [Re: huntindude] #7993605 09/30/20 05:07 PM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 91,415
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 91,415
Originally Posted by huntindude
I don’t want to spend much $ on this project so I am going to use water hose available or bought cheap. I would have to buy all new to go all 2”.


Smart move we put in a water well, and then had to pay a subsidence fee.


Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill


[Linked Image]




Re: Sump pump [Re: huntindude] #7993666 09/30/20 06:01 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,234
H
huntindude Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
H
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,234
It’s prob at 1/4 acre and yes can move sprinkler around with ease. I would love to go 2” all the down, but dang, it will cost a lot. The sump is rated at max 73 gpm.

Re: Sump pump [Re: huntindude] #7993682 09/30/20 06:11 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,234
H
huntindude Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
H
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,234
What I think I’ll try is filling a tank up with pond water, then drop pump in tank and use 100’ of 2” discharge hose with Nozzle. But dang that a lot of filling up. But it’s free besides the gas from generator.

Re: Sump pump [Re: huntindude] #7993711 09/30/20 06:51 PM
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,379
B
BearkatHunter2011 Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,379
Depends on elevation change and head pressure

Re: Sump pump [Re: huntindude] #7995288 10/02/20 02:30 AM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,701
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Offline
Extreme Tracker
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,701
Originally Posted by huntindude
I planted my plot with a 90% chance of rain. Went from 90 to 10% fast. I have a pond near the plot that would require 700 ft of water hose to water plot. Pond is 4 acres and nearly full. I have a dock that I can tie onto. The pump is a submersible 1hp with a 2 inch discharge. Reduce it down to 3/4” for sprinkler. Would it work?

A ‘sump pump’ is not going to generate 60psi to operate a sprinkler worth a darn, even if you just had a short 3/4 hose - they are essentially a low pressure high volume pump.
If you had a 1hp deep-well-submersible pump - those can generate 60-80 psi at 8-10 gal/min - sufficient to run a sprinkler, though reduced with 700 ft of 3/4, and only 1 sprinkler ( ton of friction loss in that long/small of hose).

Re: Sump pump [Re: oldoak2000] #7995487 10/02/20 12:50 PM
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,354
L
Lazyjack Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,354
Originally Posted by oldoak2000
Originally Posted by huntindude
I planted my plot with a 90% chance of rain. Went from 90 to 10% fast. I have a pond near the plot that would require 700 ft of water hose to water plot. Pond is 4 acres and nearly full. I have a dock that I can tie onto. The pump is a submersible 1hp with a 2 inch discharge. Reduce it down to 3/4” for sprinkler. Would it work?

A ‘sump pump’ is not going to generate 60psi to operate a sprinkler worth a darn, even if you just had a short 3/4 hose - they are essentially a low pressure high volume pump.
If you had a 1hp deep-well-submersible pump - those can generate 60-80 psi at 8-10 gal/min - sufficient to run a sprinkler, though reduced with 700 ft of 3/4, and only 1 sprinkler ( ton of friction loss in that long/small of hose).

This. You can have a soaker system.

Last edited by Lazyjack; 10/02/20 12:52 PM.

If you can't bedazzle them with your intelligence, just baffle them with B.S.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3