Texas Hunting Forum

Sump pump

Posted By: huntindude

Sump pump - 09/30/20 04:36 PM

I planted my plot with a 90% chance of rain. Went from 90 to 10% fast. I have a pond near the plot that would require 700 ft of water hose to water plot. Pond is 4 acres and nearly full. I have a dock that I can tie onto. The pump is a submersible 1hp with a 2 inch discharge. Reduce it down to 3/4” for sprinkler. Would it work?
Posted By: rickym

Re: Sump pump - 09/30/20 04:54 PM

At least down to 1”

Re: Sump pump - 09/30/20 05:02 PM

I don’t want to spend much $ on this project so I am going to use water hose available or bought cheap. I would have to buy all new to go all 2”.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Sump pump - 09/30/20 05:06 PM

How big a plot and do you have the ability to move the sprinkler?

I bought a 1/4 horse pump from northern to fill water stations we move water in 300 gallon totes. The pump is rated at 1300+ gph or 22 galons per minute at its fully inch or 1.25 inch discharge. First used it on a 3/4 garden hose and it took an hour to drain a 300 gallon tote.

Necking down the size will significantly reduce your flow. Put and inch and a quarter hose on it instead of necking down to a garden hose and it pumps nearly 20 gal a minute.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Sump pump - 09/30/20 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by huntindude
I don’t want to spend much $ on this project so I am going to use water hose available or bought cheap. I would have to buy all new to go all 2”.

Smart move we put in a water well, and then had to pay a subsidence fee.

Re: Sump pump - 09/30/20 06:01 PM

It’s prob at 1/4 acre and yes can move sprinkler around with ease. I would love to go 2” all the down, but dang, it will cost a lot. The sump is rated at max 73 gpm.

Re: Sump pump - 09/30/20 06:11 PM

What I think I’ll try is filling a tank up with pond water, then drop pump in tank and use 100’ of 2” discharge hose with Nozzle. But dang that a lot of filling up. But it’s free besides the gas from generator.
Posted By: BearkatHunter2011

Re: Sump pump - 09/30/20 06:51 PM

Depends on elevation change and head pressure
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Sump pump - 10/02/20 02:30 AM

I planted my plot with a 90% chance of rain. Went from 90 to 10% fast. I have a pond near the plot that would require 700 ft of water hose to water plot. Pond is 4 acres and nearly full. I have a dock that I can tie onto. The pump is a submersible 1hp with a 2 inch discharge. Reduce it down to 3/4” for sprinkler. Would it work?

A ‘sump pump’ is not going to generate 60psi to operate a sprinkler worth a darn, even if you just had a short 3/4 hose - they are essentially a low pressure high volume pump.
If you had a 1hp deep-well-submersible pump - those can generate 60-80 psi at 8-10 gal/min - sufficient to run a sprinkler, though reduced with 700 ft of 3/4, and only 1 sprinkler ( ton of friction loss in that long/small of hose).
Posted By: Lazyjack

Re: Sump pump - 10/02/20 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by oldoak2000

A ‘sump pump’ is not going to generate 60psi to operate a sprinkler worth a darn, even if you just had a short 3/4 hose - they are essentially a low pressure high volume pump.
If you had a 1hp deep-well-submersible pump - those can generate 60-80 psi at 8-10 gal/min - sufficient to run a sprinkler, though reduced with 700 ft of 3/4, and only 1 sprinkler ( ton of friction loss in that long/small of hose).

This. You can have a soaker system.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum