Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: DLALLDER] #7894457 07/08/20 05:52 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I guarantee you can't take an un-braked, un-suppressed medium bore cartridge .308, 7mm, 277) and see bullet impacts at normal ranges (under 500 yds) shooting your hunting ammo. Also, how do you expect to handle muzzle jump, which is inevitable. You can only "manage recoil" so much.

Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: Jgraider] #7894658 07/08/20 08:42 PM
C
Crews Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Jgraider
I guarantee you can't take an un-braked, un-suppressed medium bore cartridge .308, 7mm, 277) and see bullet impacts at normal ranges (under 500 yds) shooting your hunting ammo. Also, how do you expect to handle muzzle jump, which is inevitable. You can only "manage recoil" so much.

I bet it wouldn't be hard to find someone that could prove otherwise.

Last edited by Crews; 07/08/20 09:22 PM.
Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: wp75169] #7894683 07/08/20 09:12 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by wp75169
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
What's really cool is getting the sun just right so you can see the actual bullet flight on the way to the target. On one of the places I shoot it happens around 6:30 - 7:00 in the evening this time of year.

I have seen that effect many times in the past shooting IHMSA competition. Saw it more with the 22LR competition, the big bore pistols were being pushed to the limit with velocity so you had a VERY short period of time to see the bullet on it's way to the target.

Big bore pistols at extended ranges are almost comical to watch. A 360 grain bullet at only 900fps shooting 300 yards. Heck, you could almost call it before it got there. Plus you’re aiming about 30 degrees to the horizon at that point.

In IHMSA competition, big bore was center fire cartridges with Wichita bolt pistols XP100's T/C Contenders and several more that I can't remember. I was at one match and saw broken wrist due to a 45-70 pistol. Most MZ velocities were up in the low 2000+ range. If your shot did not knock the 60 lb ram down at 200 plus yds, you missed even if the bullet struck dead center.

Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: Jgraider] #7894694 07/08/20 09:20 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C

My Howa 270 Win pushing 130 grains 3200+ fps, I can easy spots impacts from about 300 yards and out. When set up prone and driving the rifle correctly, seeing impacts are no problem. I'll try and set up my TactaCam on it sometime to video it. If you get behind the rifle right, the rifle will return back to where it originally was after recoil and you can see your impacts. Yes, there's a split second you lose sight picture, but it happens very fast. With your shooting eye open and keeping it open, you can spot it.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: ChadTRG42] #7894716 07/08/20 09:33 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42

My Howa 270 Win pushing 130 grains 3200+ fps, I can easy spots impacts from about 300 yards and out. When set up prone and driving the rifle correctly, seeing impacts are no problem. I'll try and set up my TactaCam on it sometime to video it. If you get behind the rifle right, the rifle will return back to where it originally was after recoil and you can see your impacts. Yes, there's a split second you lose sight picture, but it happens very fast. With your shooting eye open and keeping it open, you can spot it.

Remington 788 7mm-08 I have watched quite a few bullets impact on deer and have with several other even inside 100 yards. Using a low power variable on the lowest setting helps that a lot, huge field of view., the cross hair is not on it but the target animal is still in the scope. Do I see it perfectly every time, no but when things are right I have.

Last edited by kmon1; 07/08/20 09:34 PM.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: DLALLDER] #7894828 07/08/20 11:05 PM
P_102 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I believe JG’s last post was still talking about off a bench. Yes, much harder but can still be done to some success...just have to concentrate on right angle at collar bone and not zooming in so far. By staying zoomed out you maintain a much wider view and can still see the target with some muzzle jump. Also, when bearing down for the shot (that may not be the right way to put it), if you have to ‘muscle’ the reticle back into place you’re already screwed and need to start over.

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: Crews] #7894837 07/08/20 11:14 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Crews

smile ani

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: P_102] #7894839 07/08/20 11:15 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by P_102
I believe JG’s last post was still talking about off a bench. Yes, much harder but can still be done to some success...just have to concentrate on right angle at collar bone and not zooming in so far. By staying zoomed out you maintain a much wider view and can still see the target with some muzzle jump. Also, when bearing down for the shot (that may not be the right way to put it), if you have to ‘muscle’ the reticle back into place you’re already screwed and need to start over.

Can be done from a bench. Much easier prone on a bipod.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: J.G.] #7894852 07/08/20 11:22 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Originally Posted by Crews

smile ani

Yep.

Lean forward into the rifle from the waist. With the grip hand pull back into the shoulder pocket very firmly and the forward hand use a very firm hold on the forearm and pull back firmly into the shoulder pocket. This is also referred to as a "hard hold." A hard hold and leaning into the rifle from the waist is the best way to manage recoil.

Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: DLALLDER] #7894882 07/08/20 11:54 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
No offense guys, but I'd have to see it to believe it, especially off the bench, and especially if you're claiming you can call mil/moa corrections as well. If you legitimately can, then I'll stand corrected and pay your entry fee in the next Camp Perry shoot.

Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: Jgraider] #7894931 07/09/20 12:36 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
No offense guys, but I'd have to see it to believe it, especially off the bench, and especially if you're claiming you can call mil/moa corrections as well. If you legitimately can, then I'll stand corrected and pay your entry fee in the next Camp Perry shoot.

?? Shoot and make a correction based on looking through the scope?

Is that what you are talking about?

Do it all the time with an unbraked .308.

No big deal as long as the scope has enough magnification and clarity for old eyes.

I remember one match with a .308 shooting 175 SMK's which required 20 shots in 60 seconds at 200 yards fired from prone.

Hardest part was shucking the bolt, reloading, and regaining a decent hold. Had 17x out of 20 shots in 60 seconds. Seeing was not the hard part.

Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: Jgraider] #7894965 07/09/20 01:18 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

It's not Camp Perry level.

If we were closer, I'd make a friendly wager, loser buys the steak and beer. Be about like me stepping onto your ground and saying "there's no Mule Deer here". You'd say "oh, yes there are".

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: J.G.] #7895008 07/09/20 01:59 AM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J

If we were closer, I'd make a friendly wager, loser buys the steak and beer. Be about like me stepping onto your ground and saying "there's no Mule Deer here". You'd say "oh, yes there are".

That's a good analogy actually. I'm with you. I guess I spoke a little out of school on this deal.........Good stuff.

Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: Jgraider] #7895033 07/09/20 02:20 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F

That's a good analogy actually. I'm with you. I guess I spoke a little out of school on this deal.........Good stuff.

Jgraider, good job. Im clueless on this thread but I love to see guys fess up--not nearly enough of that on this forum. Too much super testosterone flying around this forum usually.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: DLALLDER] #7895104 07/09/20 04:16 AM
P_102 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Called MOA corrections, off a bench, from 50 yards out to 350 just this evening. .22lr. bolt

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: Jgraider] #7895326 07/09/20 02:37 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

cheers

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: DLALLDER] #7895482 07/09/20 04:24 PM
Wilson Combat Offline
Boar Meister
Boar Meister
I have read, been told that when shooting you needed to see the bullet strike the target. I have never been able to do that, WHY? Am I just not holding rifle hard enough, maybe rifle is set-up incorrect. Give me your opinion, please. Thanks Daniel

Daniel, I think your reading and listening too much and not shooting enough hammer

Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: Wilson Combat] #7895597 07/09/20 05:51 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by Wilson Combat
I have read, been told that when shooting you needed to see the bullet strike the target. I have never been able to do that, WHY? Am I just not holding rifle hard enough, maybe rifle is set-up incorrect. Give me your opinion, please. Thanks Daniel

Daniel, I think your reading and listening too much and not shooting enough hammer

Bill, I have started thinking you are correct. Shooting time is going to be limited for the near future.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide