Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: AR style shotguns? [Re: J.G.] #7738665 02/05/20 10:40 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
It’s everything from stationary targets to aerials to slugs to buckshot. A good bit of the targets can/will be shot while the shooter is moving.

I’m not saying that a dot replaces shotgun fitment... at all.... but there is a world of difference in shooting a clay or live bird up in the air while standing flat footed and shooting at a critter or target below you while you’re seated and also moving. If I was going on a heli hunt tomorrow and already had a shotgun with a red dot, I’d take it. But I wouldn’t hesitate to take a shotgun with a bead either.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: AR style shotguns? [Re: J.G.] #7738803 02/06/20 01:13 AM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
A helicopter is a pretty stable platform. I’m betting on it being dirt easy shooting and fireman piling them up, with or without a dot. It takes a fast pig to run 30mph which is not much lead at shotgun ranges, and they can’t hold that very far. Honestly the biggest hurdle that comes to my mind is being able to cheek the stock if he opts to wear a helmet. The closest thing to shooting pigs out of a chopper this old redneck has done is chasing jackrabbits across a pasture and shooting them out of the back of a bouncing pickup truck. That is pretty easy shooting and a Jack is a solid 35-40 mph critter. Post pics fireman.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: AR style shotguns? [Re: Smokey Bear] #7738827 02/06/20 01:40 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
A helicopter is a pretty stable platform. I’m betting on it being dirt easy shooting and fireman piling them up, with or without a dot. It takes a fast pig to run 30mph which is not much lead at shotgun ranges, and they can’t hold that very far. Honestly the biggest hurdle that comes to my mind is being able to cheek the stock if he opts to wear a helmet. The closest thing to shooting pigs out of a chopper this old redneck has done is chasing jackrabbits across a pasture and shooting them out of the back of a bouncing pickup truck. That is pretty easy shooting and a Jack is a solid 35-40 mph critter. Post pics fireman.

So you haven’t shot critters from a helicopter but you can tell us all about how shotgun fitment is all that matters .... got it.

Last edited by Tactical Cowboy; 02/06/20 01:51 AM.

Re: AR style shotguns? [Re: J.G.] #7738845 02/06/20 02:02 AM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I have not cowboy but if you want to get together and shoot shotguns I am all in. Just you and me for fun or money and you can post how it goes. I know that you shoot in some competition and I’m not discounting that. I also know that I load and shoot about a flat of shotgun shells most weeks and know my way around a shotgun.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 02/06/20 02:29 AM.

Re: AR style shotguns? [Re: J.G.] #7738884 02/06/20 02:39 AM
M
Misfire Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Smokey, I'm pretty sure you'll counter with something about my shotgun not fitting me but I went back through some video and pulled a screen capture in an attempt to illustrate my earlier point.

The first pic is a coyote I killed with an 870 pump gun, iron sights and buck shot. I circled the coyote in red so you can see it. The pic is immediately after the shot was fired so the gun is still recoiling. From the air, depending on the terrain they can be hard to track while running through the trees and brush with a plain ole' ball or irons. This is true of pigs too. The pronounced red dot is easier to track when everything flying past you is the same color.

[Linked Image]

By contrast, here is another screen grab from a coyote I napped with a 2nd round hit from a .308. For me, shotgun or rifle, a dot is more accurate and amounts to better success.

[Linked Image]

Pigs, of course, are a lot easier to hit than coyotes but you are dead wrong about them not being able to run full speed for very long. You would be surprised at how far they can run, full speed, through the brush and bramble. Sometimes the stars align and so do the pigs.. making them easy bacon. My personal choice is a large frame AR but if you can get down on them, a shotgun is awesome too..
[Linked Image]

"I wanna go fast" -Ricky Bobby

"Mind bottling isn't it?" -Chazz Michael Michaels

Re: AR style shotguns? [Re: J.G.] #7738903 02/06/20 03:04 AM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
That is awesome misfire and looks like a heck of a good time. We all do what we feel makes us most effective with what we shoot. I am well versed at taking game with a shotgun. I shoot 4-5 flats/month to stay sharp and prefer to shoot instinctively with a shotgun. You do you and I will do me. My hat is off to you for getting after the coyotes. I am 5 years into a cooperative project with the NWTF and TP&W to reestablish wild turkeys on some large private acerage and have been working hard on the predators. It is an uphill battle. I have used a helicopter to look at a lot of property in a short time as well as Ag work and wildlife surveys but never utilized one to shoot from. Looks fun as hell!

Fireman, my apologies for derailing your thread. I hope you F up the hogs from the chopper with your weapon of choice.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 02/06/20 03:20 AM.

Re: AR style shotguns? [Re: Smokey Bear] #7738907 02/06/20 03:09 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I have not cowboy but if you want to get together and shoot shotguns I am all in. Just you and me for fun or money and you can post how it goes. I know that you shoot in some competition and I’m not discounting that. I also know that I load and shoot about a flat of shotgun shells most weeks and know my way around a shotgun.

Alright. Let’s go shoot. I’ll bring ammo if you have a place to do all this.

Start shooting your trap gun or autoloader or whatever you want while seated with targets 90° from your shoulders. Then shoot them at 10 o’clock and 7 o’clock, or 2 o’clock and 5 o’clock if you’re a lefty). Then add a full or modified choke and some #4 or 00 buckshot. Once you’ve got all that covered, sit in the back of a pickup going 45 down a decent 2 track while shooting targets. That will get you close to what you can expect shooting hogs or coyotes out of a helicopter.

It’s a whole different thing than shooting quail over a dog. I’ve done that too. The gun(s) I would like to wingshoot with are entirely different than what I’d want to take on a helicopter.

Re: AR style shotguns? [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #7738916 02/06/20 03:27 AM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy

Alright. Let’s go shoot. I’ll bring ammo if you have a place to do all this.

Start shooting your trap gun or autoloader or whatever you want while seated with targets 90° from your shoulders. Then shoot them at 10 o’clock and 7 o’clock, or 2 o’clock and 5 o’clock if you’re a lefty). Then add a full or modified choke and some #4 or 00 buckshot. Once you’ve got all that covered, sit in the back of a pickup going 45 down a decent 2 track while shooting targets. That will get you close to what you can expect shooting hogs or coyotes out of a helicopter.

It’s a whole different thing than shooting quail over a dog. I’ve done that too. The gun(s) I would like to wingshoot with are entirely different than what I’d want to take on a helicopter.

Yeah I’m a lefty. I will PM you my contact info and yes I have the place to shoot covered.

Re: AR style shotguns? [Re: Smokey Bear] #7739662 02/07/20 01:07 AM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
I can see both points here. Proper fit of shotgun to shooter is quite important. And it is a point and shoot proposition.

I can also completely understand the contrasting sight image while looking at the ground from above. Even on an overcast sky, the shotgun can be properly pointed, same as a blue sky. But get above it, looking down at the ground, it is not difficult to see the benefit of the illuminated dot against a varying color and texture ground.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: AR style shotguns? [Re: Judd] #7739742 02/07/20 02:34 AM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Judd
but only if he let you use the matching shoes too

Hell, if he does that ask if he's got a set of white sunglasses to throw in the deal

Judd we only met that once at Jason's place (thanks again for your help out there) but I'm pretty sure, you were the only one there without matching shoes.
Those white glasses won't work on the whirlybird, he'll need/want goggles, I think. Now, what Kyle has that helps in aviation hunting is that multi-colored hat with the little propeller on the top. I hope his pilot doesn't have one though.

Re: AR style shotguns? [Re: J.G.] #7739800 02/07/20 03:57 AM
DeRico Offline
Mobius 1
Mobius 1
HOLY HELL, talk about HUGE derail of thread LoL roflmao

[Linked Image]
Re: AR style shotguns? [Re: J.G.] #7739825 02/07/20 04:28 AM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
roflmao

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: AR style shotguns? [Re: Texas Dan] #7740561 02/08/20 02:29 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
When I first saw a photo of one I thought how the mass shooters are going to love them.

As the case with .22 rifles that hold many rounds, I can see a legitimate need for AR-style rifles for target practice and hunting hogs using noise suppression. But I just don't see a civilian need for a shotgun that holds 15 or 20 rounds.

Worst argument I’ve heard

Stuff like this drives me nutz

You vote Democrat?

Re: AR style shotguns? [Re: GusWayne] #7740567 02/08/20 02:38 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by procraft05
When I first saw a photo of one I thought how the mass shooters are going to love them.

As the case with .22 rifles that hold many rounds, I can see a legitimate need for AR-style rifles for target practice and hunting hogs using noise suppression. But I just don't see a civilian need for a shotgun that holds 15 or 20 rounds.

You vote Democrat?

The second amendment isn’t about target practice and hog hunting. What’s wrong with you?

Re: AR style shotguns? [Re: scalebuster] #7740586 02/08/20 03:06 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Originally Posted by scalebuster
Originally Posted by procraft05

You vote Democrat?

The second amendment isn’t about target practice and hog hunting. What’s wrong with you?

Yep, scalebuster is right.

Ill never give em an inch

Re: AR style shotguns? [Re: J.G.] #7740646 02/08/20 05:14 AM
E
Earl Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Interesting thread. I've often looked at the AR and AK style shotguns but never worked up the gumption to buy one - yet. Still think one would be cool to have if I could just find one that's reliable. Hunting pigs from a helicopter sure sounds like fun. Would love to do that some day. I definitely think I'd lean toward a shotgun too. I've shot running deer before but that was when I was younger and dumber. All the pigs I've shot weren't running though so it would take me half a hunt just figuring out lead between running animals and a moving chopper. A semi-auto 12ga with Buckshot would help in that regard.

Earl

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide