Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Uh-oh...Art Briles again... [Re: HuntnFly67] #7628383 10/09/19 05:43 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by HuntnFly67
Originally Posted by Txduckman
They were just cleared. No games will be forfeited.

Well there you go.

Yep.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Uh-oh...Art Briles again... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7628389 10/09/19 05:47 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
My son's team played in the state semi finals against Deion's team from Trinity Christian Cedar Springs. His team had players literally listing their home town on recruiting websites from out of state, yet the TAPPS organization did nothing for several years. They stacked the team and have won several championships in TAPPS. I am sure once his kids are done there he will move on. Just a shame that them cheating cost my sons team a championship, but its the way things go. They know it, and were fine with it. I still tell them they had a championship caliber team, just Deion and his recruits got in the way.

TAPPS and UIL are very different in this regard bang

That’s TAPPS, it can be one of the most competitive leagues in the country . I watched Lynch send 9 players to D1 schools one year.

The more I was around football and basketball and baseball and seeing kids that were being recruited, I came to realize there is very little skillset most D1 colleges look for other than physical size. Certainly the big name D1 schools can be picky with size and skill, but the bottom to mid-tier programs are looking for size first followed by potential. Of all the recruits and "starred" players I have seen over the years playing, I have been very unimpressed with their skill and talent, it is mostly just that are physically bigger than the rest. Kind of a funny revelation. There's a lot of really good players that don't ever get a look simply because of their size. But I understand why, you can't have a bunch of pee-wees going against the man-children week in and out.

Re: Uh-oh...Art Briles again... [Re: Texas buckeye] #7628398 10/09/19 06:01 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
My son's team played in the state semi finals against Deion's team from Trinity Christian Cedar Springs. His team had players literally listing their home town on recruiting websites from out of state, yet the TAPPS organization did nothing for several years. They stacked the team and have won several championships in TAPPS. I am sure once his kids are done there he will move on. Just a shame that them cheating cost my sons team a championship, but its the way things go. They know it, and were fine with it. I still tell them they had a championship caliber team, just Deion and his recruits got in the way.

TAPPS and UIL are very different in this regard bang

That’s TAPPS, it can be one of the most competitive leagues in the country . I watched Lynch send 9 players to D1 schools one year.

The more I was around football and basketball and baseball and seeing kids that were being recruited, I came to realize there is very little skillset most D1 colleges look for other than physical size. Certainly the big name D1 schools can be picky with size and skill, but the bottom to mid-tier programs are looking for size first followed by potential. Of all the recruits and "starred" players I have seen over the years playing, I have been very unimpressed with their skill and talent, it is mostly just that are physically bigger than the rest. Kind of a funny revelation. There's a lot of really good players that don't ever get a look simply because of their size. But I understand why, you can't have a bunch of pee-wees going against the man-children week in and out.

Worse in college to pros. I’d had two buddies get pro try-outs and never they started in college, outside of special teams.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Uh-oh...Art Briles again... [Re: Eagle 1] #7628427 10/09/19 06:36 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
It is kind of funny and makes sense when you see some of the pros play roflmao

Re: Uh-oh...Art Briles again... [Re: Eagle 1] #7628428 10/09/19 06:37 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
The previous decision has been reversed and the two players have been deemed ineligible
MV will not forfeit any games.

Re: Uh-oh...Art Briles again... [Re: Choctaw] #7628550 10/09/19 09:14 PM
D
Duke4456 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
That decision is being appealed by mv to the uil won’t know anything for a couple days.

Your worst day of hunting is always better than your best day at work
Re: Uh-oh...Art Briles again... [Re: Eagle 1] #7628770 10/10/19 12:56 AM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Interesting twists to this story. The two brothers in question are related to former Baylor player and Briles coached player, Lynx Hawthorne through marriage. Mount Vernon explicitly prohibits the movement of students to school districts for the purpose of family relations and especially when said family member is an athletic coach. In this case, Mr. Hawthorne was seen wearing Mount Vernon coaching attire earlier in preseason and non-district, however at the time it was contested that he was merely shooting a documentary and not actually coaching. Apparently, he was more recently seen in coaching attire and coaching box with headset on. Additionally, Mr. Hawthorne and said boys have listed a RV park as their residence. Upon further research, the address was actually confirmed to be the address of the RV park owner. This is information per WFAA investigative reporting group. The whole thing stinks to no end and as one may suspect, the two brothers are considered star players on the team...

Re: Uh-oh...Art Briles again... [Re: DQ Kid] #7628776 10/10/19 01:09 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Interesting twists to this story. The two brothers in question are related to former Baylor player and Briles coached player, Lynx Hawthorne through marriage. Mount Vernon explicitly prohibits the movement of students to school districts for the purpose of family relations and especially when said family member is an athletic coach. In this case, Mr. Hawthorne was seen wearing Mount Vernon coaching attire earlier in preseason and non-district, however at the time it was contested that he was merely shooting a documentary and not actually coaching. Apparently, he was more recently seen in coaching attire and coaching box with headset on. Additionally, Mr. Hawthorne and said boys have listed a RV park as their residence. Upon further research, the address was actually confirmed to be the address of the RV park owner. This is information per WFAA investigative reporting group. The whole thing stinks to no end and as one may suspect, the two brothers are considered star players on the team...

If he isn’t on the pay roll it won’t/doesn’t matter. RV park address is the address of an RV park,

UIL will over turn.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Uh-oh...Art Briles again... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7628797 10/10/19 01:20 AM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

If he isn’t on the parole it won’t/doesn’t matter. RV park address is the address of an RV park,

UIL will over turn.

What are you talking about, UIL is pretty stern when it comes to non-establishment of permanent family residency...That one has almost always led to ineligibility and in cases where kids participated in games, forfeitures, especially considering the facts around the address were not initially disclosed and supposedly distorted in the first place. If this is all true, I'd nearly bet you that these two kids will not play another game and also, the team is in real jeopardy of forfeiting several if not all games they were involved in. The residency thing is what led to Daxx Garman's ineligibility when he tried to transfer from OK to Southlake as their QB about 10 years ago. His parents still had permanent residency in OK and were leasing or renting in Southlake. Some incumbent kids and their parents are whom turned him over to UIL anonymously..

Re: Uh-oh...Art Briles again... [Re: Eagle 1] #7628811 10/10/19 01:28 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Gosh, I’m shocked there are shenanigans going on over there in MV. Shocked I say!!! eek2

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Uh-oh...Art Briles again... [Re: Eagle 1] #7628847 10/10/19 01:52 AM
J
jdk1985 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
My first thought was, "you guys are spending way to much time and energy worrying about a high school game." Then I realized I read the whole thread.

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: Uh-oh...Art Briles again... [Re: DQ Kid] #7628863 10/10/19 02:06 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

If he isn’t on the parole it won’t/doesn’t matter. RV park address is the address of an RV park,

UIL will over turn.

What are you talking about, UIL is pretty stern when it comes to non-establishment of permanent family residency...That one has almost always led to ineligibility and in cases where kids participated in games, forfeitures, especially considering the facts around the address were not initially disclosed and supposedly distorted in the first place. If this is all true, I'd nearly bet you that these two kids will not play another game and also, the team is in real jeopardy of forfeiting several if not all games they were involved in. The residency thing is what led to Daxx Garman's ineligibility when he tried to transfer from OK to Southlake as their QB about 10 years ago. His parents still had permanent residency in OK and were leasing or renting in Southlake. Some incumbent kids and their parents are whom turned him over to UIL anonymously..

$5 UIL rules them eligible. I’m embarrassed for the parents to be such cry babies

Re: Uh-oh...Art Briles again... [Re: Eagle 1] #7628919 10/10/19 03:39 AM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I am going to double down on my 'Art Briles is shady AF' sentiment. Perhaps this makes me a simpleton, but I have always believed where there's smoke, there's fire. Looks to me there's a pyrocumulus cloud over the MV field house this season and Smokey the Bear is getting on edge out there.

I do think the kids should still play; not saying they are completely innocent in the whole deal, but I am saying their ignorance of the rules is much more believable, thus their sins I can tolerable and are far easier to forgive than Uncle Art's...should that prove to be the case.

Re: Uh-oh...Art Briles again... [Re: Eagle 1] #7628949 10/10/19 05:52 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
This was happening 30 years ago... Nothing new. I find no issue with it though if you move there. If you want to play, go where you can. We had ex-Cowboys moving out of our neighborhood back in the day since their kids were not going to get to play as the star players.

Re: Uh-oh...Art Briles again... [Re: HuntnFly67] #7628955 10/10/19 08:10 AM
E
erathar Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted by HuntnFly67
Originally Posted by ducknbass
I don't know how the state gets to decide if a player is justified in moving. Who cares if a student moves for sports reasons they move they move. That entire deal is assanine to me. That's coming from someone who can't stand briles

Be one thing if they hadn’t exonerated the kids twice already....

I don't like Briles one. dang. bit. either. Haven't cared for him since he was at Stephenville; they were in our district then and we had some epic Friday night battles. Evidently he was a tough individual to work with even back then according to my coaches that I have kept up with. Rumors of pushing the limits of ethical behavior was rampant with him before the turn of the century.

As for the boys, they are the ones that are being hurt most in this political power grab. If they were cleared to play the first time before the season started (even the second hearing the ruling was confirmed), then it should stand for the season.

Football is unique from most other sports given it's limited window to play. Golf, tennis, basketball, or even, to some extent, baseball; all of these could be considered 'lifetime' sports. For most players, the last game of football in high school will be the last time they play the sport. EVER. Sure some may go on to college and eek out a few more seasons (I got part of one more season before I finished wrecking my shoulders). Those other sports you can buy clubs, a racket, find a pickup game, or join an adult softball league with relative ease. Playing those sports is acceptable (and in some professions encouraged) well into adulthood; some careers benefit from being a good player on the tennis court or at the links. I wish I had exhibited more of an interest in golf especially.

Football simply does not offer that; when it is over, it is gone. Basically from 7th grade to senior year, a football player is looking at 60-ish games; hopefully a few more with playoffs, but that's about it. How dare those adults take away the boys' waning chances to play a sport with such a limited opportunity to play! That is the biggest tragedy of this story. Shame on the adults.

What schoo?

Re: Uh-oh...Art Briles again... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7629892 10/11/19 02:32 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

UIL will over turn.

$5 UIL rules them eligible. I’m embarrassed for the parents to be such cry babies

Not quite Bobo, both players ruled ineligible but more importantly the team will not have to forfeit any games due to the prior district ruling allowing eligibility. Additionally, Briles receiving a public reprimand for allowing a non-employee to coach. Probably a fair outcome all the way around...The players are ruled to have moved in for purely athletic purposes and the team does not get penalized since they had previously been ruled eligible and Briles gets his due with the non-coach...

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide