Forums46
Topics538,042
Posts9,732,277
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The 2 types on landowners who lease [Re: maximus_flavius] #7600058 09/07/19 01:26 AM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
On most any place around here if you don’t want grazing you will be paying for those rights also... Never had issues dealing with cattle or grazing lease holders.. is much rather lease from someone that’s hardly involved in the property

Re: The 2 types on landowners who lease [Re: maximus_flavius] #7600251 09/07/19 12:34 PM
S
SmallTownHunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Majority of landowners are #3. I have never been on a deer lease and hopefully never will. You have to deal not only with the landowners but also the other hunters. I just want to hunt not deal with other people, I do that at work everyday. One of my coworkers who is on a lease somewhere tried to tell me the other day that you can’t feed deer regular corn, only “deer” corn, and he was dead serious. I will pass on hunting with those type of guys.

Re: The 2 types on landowners who lease [Re: SmallTownHunter] #7600258 09/07/19 12:40 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by SmallTownHunter
Majority of landowners are #3. I have never been on a deer lease and hopefully never will. You have to deal not only with the landowners but also the other hunters. I just want to hunt not deal with other people, I do that at work everyday. One of my coworkers who is on a lease somewhere tried to tell me the other day that you can’t feed deer regular corn, only “deer” corn, and he was dead serious. I will pass on hunting with those type of guys.

Let's be honest, if you're looking for a high percentage of Rhodes Scholars to interact with, hunting is not gonna be your best avocation. That's just the nature of the beast. I'm the furthest thing from a "people person", but even I know it's healthy to work on your "socialization skills" from time to time, outside of work. You might have avoided the worst by not being on a lease, but you've also missed out on the best.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: The 2 types on landowners who lease [Re: Choctaw] #7600319 09/07/19 01:57 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Choctaw
#3 here as well. However, there could also be a #4. Those landowners who don't lease their land nor do they hunt it simply because they have no interest in hunting. I know a few like that. Actually, my neighbor to the north of me is a #4.

The big ranch is a number 4. Well over 100 years old and never leased out for hunting. Coyotes, Feral Hogs and Rattlesnakes are the only critters get shot and most of that's by me.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: The 2 types on landowners who lease [Re: maximus_flavius] #7600496 09/07/19 05:16 PM
T
TPACK Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
We lease our place from A # 1 for sure.

Last edited by TPACK; 09/07/19 05:17 PM.
Re: The 2 types on landowners who lease [Re: maximus_flavius] #7600657 09/07/19 08:30 PM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I would say were #3 as well as our neighbors that don't lease, kids and grand kids might take 3-4 deer off of the 4,000 acres. One happy group and not that mad at them.Grand kids give the hogs hell though.

Re: The 2 types on landowners who lease [Re: bp3] #7600797 09/07/19 11:00 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by bp3
I would say were #3 as well as our neighbors that don't lease, kids and grand kids might take 3-4 deer off of the 4,000 acres. One happy group and not that mad at them.Grand kids give the hogs hell though.

Sounds like an excellent system. up

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: The 2 types on landowners who lease [Re: Creekrunner] #7600816 09/07/19 11:24 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

Let's be honest, if you're looking for a high percentage of Rhodes Scholars to interact with, hunting is not gonna be your best avocation. That's just the nature of the beast. I'm the furthest thing from a "people person", but even I know it's healthy to work on your "socialization skills" from time to time, outside of work. You might have avoided the worst by not being on a lease, but you've also missed out on the best.

I ONLY ALLOW Rhodes Scholars on our lease - takes a little extra effort but once I see their certificates I let them join our group.

You can't fix stupid
Re: The 2 types on landowners who lease [Re: tlk] #7600823 09/07/19 11:29 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by tlk

I ONLY ALLOW Rhodes Scholars on our lease - takes a little extra effort but once I see their certificates I let them join our group.

roflmao Well that's a camp I wouldn't mind cooking at one weekend, as a lackey, just to listen in. up

Re: The 2 types on landowners who lease [Re: Creekrunner] #7601066 09/08/19 06:21 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by tlk

roflmao Well that's a camp I wouldn't mind cooking at one weekend, as a lackey, just to listen in. up

Their first deer ever was a 150 inch 6 year old... College taught them that. I am glad I started hunting when I did with a friend of who taught me a lot. I didn't even know deer lost their antlers 20 years ago. Broke the 140 mark this year and don't care if I ever kill a buck again. Rather take my kids and let friends experience that now. Luckily some LOs still make that possible. Though I won't ever kill a young buck on my watch again unless instructed too. Hopefully some our leasors will learn that by now. Some just have to let their kids kill stuff.

Re: The 2 types on landowners who lease [Re: maximus_flavius] #7601770 09/09/19 03:18 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: The 2 types on landowners who lease [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7602422 09/09/19 09:43 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

trout You have a lease that is #1 in West Texas.
I am #3 as far as my land but #1 on a lease.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: The 2 types on landowners who lease [Re: stxranchman] #7602459 09/09/19 10:30 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by stxranchman

I actually hunt more 3(Brady and Mason) but also hunt/lease 1 and 2... I said 3 because I will never charge or lease my place, to many friends I love hunting with

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: The 2 types on landowners who lease [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7602475 09/09/19 10:39 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by stxranchman

I actually hunt more 3 but also hunt 1 and 2... I said 3 because I will never charge or lease my place, to many friends I love hunting with

cheers

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: The 2 types on landowners who lease [Re: maximus_flavius] #7603223 09/10/19 06:23 PM
O
oldrancher Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
Creekrunner, if you get a chance with all those Rhodes Scholars, just remember to not inhale. At least that's what one Rhodes Scholar said he didn't do. stir

Re: The 2 types on landowners who lease [Re: maximus_flavius] #7603225 09/10/19 06:24 PM
O
oldrancher Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
Creekrunner, if you get a chance with all those Rhodes Scholars, just remember to not inhale. At least that's what one Rhodes Scholar said he didn't do.

Re: The 2 types on landowners who lease [Re: oldrancher] #7603235 09/10/19 06:37 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by oldrancher
Creekrunner, if you get a chance with all those Rhodes Scholars, just remember to not inhale. At least that's what one Rhodes Scholar said he didn't do. stir

roflmao 'Dat be the same guy that said "I did NOT have..." AND the same guy that road on Epstein's plane?

Re: The 2 types on landowners who lease [Re: maximus_flavius] #7603257 09/10/19 06:56 PM
O
oldrancher Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
Bingo!!!

Re: The 2 types on landowners who lease [Re: oldrancher] #7603277 09/10/19 07:08 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by oldrancher
Bingo!!!

You don't have to be a Rhodes Scholar to figure that one out!

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: The 2 types on landowners who lease [Re: maximus_flavius] #7603724 09/11/19 01:55 AM
T
TTUGrad08 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius
A recent conversation had me thinking on the subject of landowners. It appears there’s 2 types of landowners who lease property out for deer hunting. There’s the uninvolved landowner, & the involved landowner

1). The uninvolved landowner probably doesn’t live on the property, or anywhere near it. They probably inherited the land, & don’t wanna work it (like farming or ranching) because they likely already have a good job in the city. They’re just lookin to put a little money in their pocket for taxes & a vacation or make a few car payments.

The good thing about an uninvolved landowner is a lease group can set whatever management goals they want, shoot whatever they want. They can pack on the hunters if they want, or not; they can shoot out all the deer, or take a strict management plan.

The bad thing about an uninvolved landowner is they likely haven’t done much upkeep to the place, like roadwork, brushwork, or cultivation. They’re likely to have leased the ground for grazing also. & depending on who is “in charge” of the lease, there could be lotsa problems come up between guys who all think they are the “lease boss”. The main negative is that the land is more liable to sold or split up between family members (& then sold) or taken over by new people who may not wanna lease (maybe hunt it themselves).

2). The involved landowner may live on the place, or nearby. They may be there every day or at least some weekends to work on their place. They probably use the lease money for improvements to their ranch to some degree.

The bad thing about involved landowners is they may already have a specific management plan in mind that some hunters won’t like (# of deer to be taken, specific animals are not to be shot, etc). So hunters need to find a landowner who’s shares their hunting ideas & values.

The good thing about involved landowners is their place is more likely to have some work done (brush clearing, road work, etc) & they are less likely to be sold off. Also if there is a problem between hunters, the actual landowner may want final say on any matters.

The 3rd type of landowner doesn’t lease out, they likely want to hunt it themselves or let their kids/in-laws hunt.

Thoughts?

Agreed. I am also a #3 as I have purchased “some” land over the last few years.
However, I also currently lease land from both #1 and #2 LO’s.
Probably will never not lease land even if/when I acquire more property.
The cost of leasing is penny’s on the dollar.

Re: The 2 types on landowners who lease [Re: maximus_flavius] #7603827 09/11/19 04:46 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
In 100 years there will be no land left to lease as it will all be sold off to investment/recreational owners. Our LO I assume will give it to his heirs who don't hunt but luckily live near it. Probably raise the price I assume. They might lease it but after them it would be sold off as that is 2 non hunting generations who would have owned it. We will probably also have the highest WT and Turkey population ever as well by then.

Re: The 2 types on landowners who lease [Re: Txduckman] #7604695 09/12/19 01:18 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Txduckman
In 100 years there will be no land left to lease as it will all be sold off to investment/recreational owners. Our LO I assume will give it to his heirs who don't hunt but luckily live near it. Probably raise the price I assume. They might lease it but after them it would be sold off as that is 2 non hunting generations who would have owned it. We will probably also have the highest WT and Turkey population ever as well by then.

So when this happens what happens to Ag?

Fact is we won’t have highest WT and turkey populations... a lot of research has shown that when ag(ranching/farming) leaves the land scape biodiversity goes down.... cattle grazing and pasture management is a substitute for natural fire that’s been suppressed.

Re: The 2 types on landowners who lease [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7604877 09/12/19 06:14 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Txduckman

So when this happens what happens to Ag?

Fact is we won’t have highest WT and turkey populations... a lot of research has shown that when ag(ranching/farming) leaves the land scape biodiversity goes down.... cattle grazing and pasture management is a substitute for natural fire that’s been suppressed.

Yes, I agree to an extent. I suppose I am referring to the time when everything other than grass was killed so you could run as much cattle as possible and grow as many crops possible. Mesquites are great shelter belts for many of us. You remove those like in the past deer numbers drops. A 1 acre wide tree line on a creek is not enough habitat. Deer would leave. Our place and surrounding areas didn't have deer on it 40 years ago and you can tell by what's growing now. It was bare. Quail was about it back then. My buddy has hunted Kent county since the 70s. It was quail, dove, and turkey only. Yotes ate M44s. He saw his first deer in the early 90s. Now that is all you hunt out there when brush stopped being controlled. All these places still have cattle like you said, they do their job to control too much brush. Wheat fields surrounded by brush are deer magnets of course.

We had a small fire from lightening a few years ago and driving by it last week, all blue stem and no weeds. Broomweed all around it but not there. Wish it would have burned more... The mesquites survived.

We have an 80 acre area that is not hunted surrounded by deep creek so cows rarely are out there if ever. I have never seen them there ever actually. It is 100% grass with trees mixed in and surrounded by thick brush with no broomweed. It's a sanctuary where the deer live. We hunt the perimeter but deer must cross creek to get to our feeders.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide