Forums46
Topics538,832
Posts9,741,912
Members87,118
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #7418060 01/29/19 05:16 PM
W
Wreckt Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
Factory precision hunter. Have only had it a few weeks and only shot it out to 300 so far. I love the 06 and think the 300 wsm is also pretty amazing. I had a 300 winmag years ago, while it was a great rifle, the recoil was harsh and therefore I rarely used it. I’m not incredibly recoil sensitive, but a light rifle with the winmag wasn’t fun for me. I could handle it in there field when I had to, but I’d rather use the 06. The win mag is definitely more effective at long range, but I have never taken a shot on an animal beyond 300 so the cost benefit was relatively small for me. In use my 6.5 Creedmoor for long range target shooting so I’m content on both fronts. Looking into a long range class later this year to get some instruction.

Last edited by Wreckt; 01/29/19 05:18 PM.
Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope [Re: Bullfrog] #7418075 01/29/19 05:39 PM
M
MrPustka Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Originally Posted by Bullfrog
-Have you shot anything bigger than the .22 before?

-where are you located?

-are you recoil sensitive at all? Do NOT be ashamed to admit it if you are. It’s your $.
Hunting with a lightweight 270 is easy. Try to sit and shoot that sucker all day will pound your shoulder. I swear, with Chad’s help and a few others, 270 will make a comeback in popularity. Wishful thinking. Lol

I've shot lots of 20g bird shot out of a shotgun, but nothing in a rifle higher then a .22.

I am located near Victoria Texas
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Victoria,+TX/@28.8295394,-97.0458849,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x864266db2e2dac3b:0xeee20d566f63267d!8m2!3d28.8052674!4d-97.0035982

I don't think that I am or would be. My goal would be to make sure the target goes down and not so much how my arm/shoulder felt in the process. Any pain would be quickly dismissed in my mind as long as I got the target.

Thank you for your feedback and questions!

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope [Re: ChadTRG42] #7418076 01/29/19 05:41 PM
M
MrPustka Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
Your needs are very broad, so the options are very broad. But a 308 is plenty for everything you stated. There are many calibers that would work well. Scope choice is up to you.

Something that may help is this link showing a variety of calibers and bullets and what velocity they can be pushed.

https://load-data.nosler.com/
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Recoil calculator of the rifle with certain bullet weights.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/recoil.asp

Bullet energy calculator

http://www.handloads.com/calc/quick.asp

What sort of information might you require so that options would narrow?

Thank you for your feedback and the links!

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope [Re: Marc K] #7418077 01/29/19 05:42 PM
M
MrPustka Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Originally Posted by Marc K
I couldn't begin to suggest a specific caliber and rifle without knowing a lot more about you, the shooter.

It's like asking "How long is a piece of rope and what can I do with it." The list of questions is long and varied. Without a whole lot more information most people will tell you what they have.

What sort of information would be helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope [Re: MrPustka] #7418087 01/29/19 05:53 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
U
To the OP, looks like you already have a TON of advice...but I can't help myself. I'm gonna weigh in too!

As for Caliber, just about any centerfire rifle will do the trick on hogs under 100 yards. I like my pistol caliber rifles for under 100 yard work on pigs. 357 mag specifically. Now for a one caliber for all in Texas and US, the 308 and 6.5 are both good choices. You will find that the differences will be negligible between the two. The .270 is also a very good choice, and if I was limited to one and only one rifle, it would be a .270.

The Remington and Savage that you mentioned should both do well for you. Personally, I like the Savage. Every Savage I have ever purchased has worked perfectly, and been very accurate right out of the box. I can not say that for Remington, Bergara, Ruger even. Too bad, cause I really like Rugers. I have never owned a Tikka, but they get talked up a lot on here. I decided against the Tikka because they only hold 3 in the mag, whereas savage, and Remington hold 4.

Scope. Don't get a package deal with a scope, because you will most likely just throw the package scope away. For most hunting situations, a 3-9 x 40 scope is all that you need. I have vortex, bushnell and nikon scopes in 3-9x40 and are happy with all of them. Don't buy bottom of the line Bushnell if you are going that route, buy top of the line. Others on here have surggested some other top of the line scopes, and some of those guys have probably forgotten more about scopes than I will ever know.

On your pig hunt, you will either need a green or red light, or a specific night vision scope. I'd ask your hunting friends if they have pig lights already set up for the hunt.

Good luck and welcome to the THF!!

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope [Re: MrPustka] #7418264 01/29/19 08:42 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Not sure anyone has mentioned it but where to hit a feral hog with a bullet is definitely worth throwing out for discussion, especially for someone who has never shot one before. They are very durable creatures and can dust off a poorly-placed bullet better than anything in the Texas woods. I have always aimed for the base of the skull or top of the neck area. Heart and lung shots are lethal if you don't mind them dying in the next county.

I'm sure others will have their own opinions as they should.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope [Re: Texas Dan] #7418274 01/29/19 08:49 PM
W
Walkabout Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
W
Yep what he said.

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope [Re: Texas Dan] #7418311 01/29/19 09:20 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Not sure anyone has mentioned it but where to hit a feral hog with a bullet is definitely worth throwing out for discussion, especially for someone who has never shot one before. They are very durable creatures and can dust off a poorly-placed bullet better than anything in the Texas woods. I have always aimed for the base of the skull or top of the neck area. Heart and lung shots are lethal if you don't mind them dying in the next county.

While I agree pigs are pretty tough, and while the op won't likely run into one, I'd put my money on nilgai as being the toughest animal in Texas woods.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope [Re: MrPustka] #7418353 01/29/19 09:50 PM
S
spankyttx Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
S
maybe if it was native to texas. but it's not, it's a high fence thing in texas isn't it

LI-SI-WI-NWI
Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope [Re: MrPustka] #7418369 01/29/19 09:58 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #7418370 01/29/19 09:58 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

While I agree pigs are pretty tough, and while the op won't likely run into one, I'd put my money on nilgai as being the toughest animal in Texas woods.

I seem to remember reading they are very hard to hunt but didn't know they were also hard to kill.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope [Re: spankyttx] #7418397 01/29/19 10:31 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by spankyttx
maybe if it was native to texas. but it's not, it's a high fence thing in texas isn't it

Yes and no. They were brought in to the King Ranch, which is not game fenced.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope [Re: MrPustka] #7418426 01/29/19 10:56 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Sounds to me he just wants something to cover all his hunting needs, now and possible future with no paper punching. Water was mentioned so a lightweight synthetic stock is needed. I don’t know down and dirty with the water he’ll be but probably a safe bet to go stainless, though I still wouldn’t rule out a blues option, just being somewhat careful to get it dry when possible. No night vision so I’m assuming lighting is covered already by the buddy, whether it’s overhead pig lights or even a spotlight, he needs a scope he can see the retical both day and night. Caliber that will cover them all, all the way to elk, which I wouldn’t want ANYthing less than 270. Even then, I’d get some hot loads from Chad before pulling the trigger. Let’s be honest too. Most shots that will ever be taken on game will be <300yds in which the 270 beats 6.5 and 308 for energy at 300. The 6.5 is less energy but the velocity is slightly better. Both will kill the same to me. All the 100-200 ya shots, I’m a 270 guy.

Ok time to find which gun/scope combo it’s gonna be now. roflmao

[Linked Image]
Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7418527 01/30/19 12:42 AM
S
spankyttx Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Originally Posted by spankyttx

Yes and no. They were brought in to the King Ranch, which is not game fenced.

curious, no barbwire fence at all? do they run wild on open land? it appears a barbwire fence could contain them

p.s. if this sidebar is out of line, would you pm me pitchfork

thanks

LI-SI-WI-NWI
Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope [Re: MrPustka] #7418787 01/30/19 07:49 AM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Ok. I don’t know where the heck to get one or how fast you can BUT I have found the rifle that will be a do-it-all gun for anything you need in North America but bears. A new take on an old design. It is all weather. It is short enough to maneuver in blinds or tree stands or will be very comfortable to carry around. And since you’re not against Remington like every else is out there, here you go. This will be one to pass down one day as a shooter, not a safe queen. The ONLY drawback I can come up with in it’s current configuration (which you haven’t mentioned anyway) is that it has a target crown and isn’t threaded for suppressor. Later if you get into the quiet game, just go have it threaded for one. No big deal. There are 4 round choices. .243, 7mm-08, .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Take your pick, depending on which bullet you intend to shoot.

Remington Model-7 SS HS. Here’s a recent review I found. http://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/review-remington-model-seven-ss-hs/330975

I just hope it’s available in time for your hunt. Everyone has them listed but none in stock currently. up Now, gotta find glass for it. I’m very partial to Talley Lightweights for my hunting rig. https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/product/model-7-600-2-piece/

[Linked Image]
Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope [Re: MrPustka] #7419005 01/30/19 03:19 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I have drooled over this dern little gun all last night and this morning! I can not WAIT to git me one! up

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope [Re: Bullfrog] #7419035 01/30/19 03:42 PM
M
MrPustka Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Sounds to me he just wants something to cover all his hunting needs, now and possible future with no paper punching. Water was mentioned so a lightweight synthetic stock is needed. I don&#146;t know down and dirty with the water he&#146;ll be but probably a safe bet to go stainless, though I still wouldn&#146;t rule out a blues option, just being somewhat careful to get it dry when possible. No night vision so I&#146;m assuming lighting is covered already by the buddy, whether it&#146;s overhead pig lights or even a spotlight, he needs a scope he can see the retical both day and night. Caliber that will cover them all, all the way to elk, which I wouldn&#146;t want ANYthing less than 270. Even then, I&#146;d get some hot loads from Chad before pulling the trigger. Let&#146;s be honest too. Most shots that will ever be taken on game will be <300yds in which the 270 beats 6.5 and 308 for energy at 300. The 6.5 is less energy but the velocity is slightly better. Both will kill the same to me. All the 100-200 ya shots, I&#146;m a 270 guy.

Ok time to find which gun/scope combo it&#146;s gonna be now. roflmao

Yes my friend uses very bright green lights from the deer blind to shine on a deer feeder about 85 yards from his blind. He says that they don't even notice the green light and you can just pick them off. Apparently it is common for him to take a shot with a .270 at this range that isn't suppressed and apparently after some waiting the pigs come back to get shot at again.

I do not have night vision in terms of what the military uses, or anything remotely like that. Just naked eyes and what the spotlight my buddy is using for now.

In terms of caliber, I'll have to look into .270's terminal velocity or kinetic energy in terms of under 300 yards. Most military engagements involving infantry take place under 400 yards so I can't imagine engaging past that point.

Thank you for your feedback!

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope [Re: MrPustka] #7419056 01/30/19 03:51 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Ok here’s my little build. I think I may have gone a little over budget but I bet you this gun will be the handiest lil booger ever!

Remington Model 7 SS HS.
LeupoldVX-R Patrol 4-12x40mm (30mm) Firedot-G TMR (didn’t go 15X due to size, plus 12X is plenty for hunting)
Leupold Mark 2 IMS 30mm Scope Mount, Picatinny Mounting, Matte Black

I’d have plans for a new bolt knob and threading the barrel later on but for now, just keep on shooting at whatever I want! Except for bears apparently. That’s what the new Remny 1911 Hunter Long Slide will be for. up

[Linked Image]
Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope [Re: DocHorton] #7419074 01/30/19 04:01 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by DocHorton
I know a lot of people dislike Remingtons, but I'm a fan. I'd look at getting a used 700 5R in .308 and a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x with firedot reticle. That should come in close to your budget.

That’s a $1300 scope! Ouch!

[Linked Image]
Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope [Re: Bullfrog] #7419295 01/30/19 06:31 PM
M
MrPustka Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Ok here&#146;s my little build. I think I may have gone a little over budget but I bet you this gun will be the handiest lil booger ever!

Remington Model 7 SS HS.
LeupoldVX-R Patrol 4-12x40mm (30mm) Firedot-G TMR (didn&#146;t go 15X due to size, plus 12X is plenty for hunting)
Leupold Mark 2 IMS 30mm Scope Mount, Picatinny Mounting, Matte Black

I&#146;d have plans for a new bolt knob and threading the barrel later on but for now, just keep on shooting at whatever I want! Except for bears apparently. That&#146;s what the new Remny 1911 Hunter Long Slide will be for. up

Thank you so much Bullforg,

I'll have to look into that Remington Model 7 SS HS in more depth when I am at home. It has the synthetic stock and stainless steel barrel I am looking for.

The only other rifle I've looked at thus far since posting the original post has been a T3x Super Varmint in .308 as it seems to be the only one that come with a synethetic stock, stainless steel barrel that can come threaded and in .308. Do any of you guys have input on these to rifles?

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope [Re: MrPustka] #7419318 01/30/19 07:00 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Yep, the Tikka is a bad dude. Last time I looked for them, there were no new rifles available in the Varmint or Super varmint. I wonder if they started showing up. Look at the Tikka CTR too

Last edited by Bullfrog; 01/30/19 07:01 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope [Re: MrPustka] #7419320 01/30/19 07:02 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Shoot. The ctr ain’t stainless.

You may have to stick with the Lite or this one is pretty sweet. I can’t find any heavy barrels in 308
https://www.cabelas.com/product/sho...e-bolt-action-rifle/2903943.uts?slotId=0

Last edited by Bullfrog; 01/30/19 07:14 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope [Re: Bullfrog] #7419356 01/30/19 07:30 PM
I
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Offline
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I
Shoot. The ctr ain’t stainless.

You may have to stick with the Lite or this one is pretty sweet. I can’t find any heavy barrels in 308
https://www.cabelas.com/product/sho...e-bolt-action-rifle/2903943.uts?slotId=0

Stainless will still rust. Buy the gun you want and get it Cerakoted to prevent rust.

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Haha yea I polished that thing for hours.
Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope [Re: MrPustka] #7419689 01/31/19 12:00 AM
H
howl Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Most stainless rifles have blued parts. Does the TIKKA? Not saying looks aren't important, but if you just want SS for rust resistance, know it isn't all it's chalked up to be.

Nothing wrong with just wanting the SS look, though.

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope [Re: MrPustka] #7419699 01/31/19 12:06 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
They make the CTR in stainless. Just not sure if it's sold at Cabelas.

If you're interested in a CTR, there is some site selling them on the cheap. Can't remember it right now, but I can look it up on snipers hide if you're interested.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide