Texas Hunting Forum

New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope

Posted By: MrPustka

New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 01:31 AM

Hello everyone,

I am a new hunter in Texas and have not had much experience outside of target shooting with a .22 Marlin. However, I have been asked to come along on a hog hunt from a deer blind where we will be fireing at hog under 100 yards.

However, my research into calibers, rifle platforms and optics has gotten me more confused then anything and I now have what I would call "research paralysis" in that I can not seems to make heads or tails of what is true and isn't.

SO given my level of experience as a non hunter and beginner to hunting I am trying to reach out for some guidance.

-----

My goal are as follows:
1) One hunting rifle that can hunt game in Texas and the Continental United States. For example, hog, deer, elk, mule deer and alligator.
2) A quality barrel & stock that will last a long time while being exposed to bad weather and water
3) Not spend over $1500 for the gun and the optic
4) Have an optic that can work well in poor weather conditions & at night

From my own research I have been lead to believe that .308 ($0.28 per round) and 6.5 Creedmoor ($0.60 per round) are close in their kinetic energy or "stopping power" up to 500 yards in which the 6.5 Creedmoor takes over. However I don't know that I am going to be engaging targets past that range ever. Will .308 work for something as big as an elk?

If a .308 will work. What brand and model is recommended?

I have been lead to believe that a stainless steel barrel & synthetic stocks in the form a a Remington 700 SPS or ADL are excellent.
https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-sps-stainless
https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-adl-stainless-synthetic-scope

Additionally a 16 TROPHY HUNTER XP by Savage Arms
https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/centerfire/trophy/16-trophy-hunter-xp

On optics, I am so confused by the options I don't even know where to begin, so anything that will be illumanted at night and can be assist in killing hog, deer, elk and mule deer will be good.

Thank you for reading and the help!
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 01:41 AM

I'll be the first, but definitely not the last to say buy a Tikka rifle in either of the calibers you mentioned.
Posted By: tcr2

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 02:00 AM

Have you heard about our Lord and Saviour Tikka?
Get ready.
Posted By: cheetah577

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 02:05 AM

Ok, here goes. Tikka T3 in 270 Win with Athlon Midas BTR 2.5-15X50 with Illuminated Reticle. All that for under $1K.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 02:10 AM

I would think about 30-06 instead of 308. Just more versatile.

Both rifles are fine rifles. I believe your thinking is spot on.

I would get a 3-12 or 3-15 optic is possible. Spend as much as you can afford on the optic. Maybe even more than you planned now. It will pay off in the end. The optic is really more important than the rifle.

No optics kill at night unless you buy a green light to attach to it.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by cheetah577
Ok, here goes. Tikka T3 in 270 Win with Athlon Midas BTR 2.5-15X50 with Illuminated Reticle. All that for under $1K.

I agree nice setup! 270 would be my second choice.

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by tcr2
Get ready.

Name something better in that price range then.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 02:20 AM

I’m pretty sure hogs are the only one listed you can hunt at night.

As far as optics I would look at the Leupold VX-R line. They have a fantastic red dot (firedot) for low light hunting.

Being a beginner hunter I would stay away from the 30-06 and .270. While they are excellent calibers they come at the price of recoil, which for a beginner is usually a negative. Either of the calibers you mentioned would be great. My bod would go to the .308. I am a giant fan of the 6.5 though and it will have less recoil. The .308 should beat it in energy inside 150 or so though. I might be wrong, have to do some research.

Rifle: stainless T3 lite and never look back. The nay sayers refuse to shoot one.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 02:30 AM

If the OP is going to hunt Elk, I’d go with the 30-06 or maybe the 308. I’d use a 270 because that’s what I have. I doubt I’d use my 260.
Posted By: TAB

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 02:52 AM

If I only were going to buy one gun and that was it I think I would buy a .280 rem in a stainless steel Tika, or Sako and buy a 3-9 Leupold or a straight 6x leupold. Will kill everything walking.. excellent ballistics and high quality ammo/brass out there. Bergera would be high on the list too.

6.5 creedmoor is pretty salty, but with hunting elk sized animals there is no replacement for displacement.
Posted By: llbts1

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 02:54 AM

Tikka or Vanguard Howa in 308. Burris optics. Nice setup at a reasonable price.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 02:58 AM

-Have you shot anything bigger than the .22 before?

-where are you located?

-are you recoil sensitive at all? Do NOT be ashamed to admit it if you are. It’s your $.
Hunting with a lightweight 270 is easy. Try to sit and shoot that sucker all day will pound your shoulder. I swear, with Chad’s help and a few others, 270 will make a comeback in popularity. Wishful thinking. Lol
Posted By: syncerus

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 03:00 AM

.308 has the cheapest ammo and you're more likely to practice and get good if ammo isn't $$$. The class of the field in inexpensive rifles are the Tikka, Weatherby Vanguard / Howa 1500 (same rifle basically); the Ruger American line also has many fans, as does Savage. There are a zillion scopes out there. Ordinarily, I'd suggest a vanilla Leupold VX-2, but night hunting is easier with a VX-R as mentioned above. Don't make this any harder than it needs to be. Go to a big box store like Academy that usually has reasonable prices and handle a number of rifles. Buy the one that feels the best. You can't go wrong with a .270, .30-06, or a .308. Finally, buy decent scope mounts: it's the wrong place to get cheap.

In a way, it almost doesn't matter what you buy: in six months, you'll know everything that you did wrong, and you'll buy another rifle.

wink

Good luck
Posted By: tcr2

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by llbts1
Tikka or Vanguard Howa in 308. Burris optics. Nice setup at a reasonable price.

Bought Weatherby Vanguard 308 last September on Walmart closeout . Adjustable trigger with sub Moa guarantee. 250 plus tax.

Got a Savage Axis 30-06 with Accutrigger and Weaver scope for 200 on another WM closeout couple years ago.

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 03:23 AM

Haha! What ^^^^ said. Just get one that will cover the hunts you’re thinking of now and add to the Arsenal later.

I still have my Remington 700 ADL junker in 270 with a Leupold VX-1(3-9X40) scope with Talley rings and for what I’ve done in my limited hunts compared to everyone else here but I’m accurate as I’ll ever need to be out to 300 comfortably and confidently. Again, it’s super light, thumps good and I can shoot it dang well and it works for me. I have SO many others I’d like to buy later. For now, for my broke behind-I’m covered.

Nothing said so far will let you down. Depending on how much time you have before your first hunt, handle any and all rifles you can and see what you like and narrow it down.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 03:27 AM

I would just get a 308 and be done

I would not get a 3006
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 03:35 AM

Your needs are very broad, so the options are very broad. But a 308 is plenty for everything you stated. There are many calibers that would work well. Scope choice is up to you.

Something that may help is this link showing a variety of calibers and bullets and what velocity they can be pushed.

https://load-data.nosler.com/
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Recoil calculator of the rifle with certain bullet weights.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/recoil.asp

Bullet energy calculator

http://www.handloads.com/calc/quick.asp

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 03:36 AM

https://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_ballistics_table2.htm

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 03:37 AM

My best advice, listen to THEM! roflmao

Still, my vote is whatever gun you like in 270, topped by what glass you like. Just don’t go cheap on it and have it mounted by someone who knows what’s going on, or let them walk you through it.

Where are you located?
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 03:37 AM

If you have any friends with rifles see if you can shoot them in the calibers that you want. This way you get the feel for the kick or recoil . They dont have to be the brand names as Tika, Savage, Vanguard. Just test fire the ones. Then buy the one that feels good. If you don't plan on doing a lot of hunting and the rifle you buy is going to be a safe queen buy reasonable you don't need the high dollar right now. For what you have mention that you are hunting the 270 or 3006 would be a all around gun. Start with lower grain ammo that way you won't be recoil sensitive. Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 03:44 AM

OP, given what you want to do, I'd go with the .308

If you get a Remington, plan on spending some extra money to replace the trigger.

https://timneytriggers.com/2-stage-calvin-elite-remington-model-700/

Given I have no trust in Remington's triggers, I'd look to other brands of rifles.

I like Savage, but as someone else said, Tikka seems to be a great gun.

And it comes in stainless steel.

When it comes to optics I like the Leupold and Vortex. I think you'll get more bang for your buck going with Vortex.

Get the best glass you can afford, and put steel base and rings for the scope.

You want good eye releaf and the bigger the front lens is (objective lens) and the better the glass (you get what you pay for) the more light it will let in during low light conditions.

And most important, experiment with ammo. Let the rifle you select tell you what ammo to buy.

I like Remington Core Lock and it does well in my rifle, but the one you get may perform better with Federal Premium.

The .308 is modeled after the 30-06 but a shorter round if I'm not mistaken.

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 04:04 AM

30-03 vs 300 savage.

Different moms and dads

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 04:28 AM

[Linked Image]

Dead-7 Times with Remington coreloks. 130gr .270. Factory trigger. Factory UN-pillar bedded stock, Remy ADL sporter barrel. Only mod is very slight trigger adjustment. It can be done. Just saaaaaaayin I can do that all day every day. Granted, I need light for night time stuff because I can’t see squat! roflmao

Gun- $379
Scope-$249 w fine duplex
Talley Rings-$35
$663 total.
A little range time and some ammo, get to know your rig. You’ll be fine whatever you choose.

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 04:30 AM

Any option listed above is nicer than what I have. Just practice with whatever you do get. Drops mic, “deuces homies, I’m out”.

P.S.- I’m quite jealous of most other’s set ups here so take my stuff with a grain of salt. It sounds like you have plenty budget to get after a sweet rig. Post pic when you get what you’re after
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 04:36 AM

I know a lot of people dislike Remingtons, but I'm a fan. I'd look at getting a used 700 5R in .308 and a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x with firedot reticle. That should come in close to your budget.

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by DocHorton
I know a lot of people dislike Remingtons, but I'm a fan. I'd look at getting a used 700 5R in .308 and a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x with firedot reticle. That should come in close to your budget.

Good combo up

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 04:54 AM

Just thought of one other thing I did to my 700. I polished the bottom of the locking lugs and where the lugs ride inside the receiver. Smooth as butter
Posted By: Marc K

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 05:06 AM

I couldn't begin to suggest a specific caliber and rifle without knowing a lot more about you, the shooter.

It's like asking "How long is a piece of rope and what can I do with it." The list of questions is long and varied. Without a whole lot more information most people will tell you what they have.

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 05:28 AM

Just buy this, and be ready for when SHTF.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...ht-m-lok-acs-l-ept-rifle-5165449241.html

Enough left over for good glass too.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 05:28 AM

I bought a stainless Tikka .308, it wears a Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18. I have about $1500 in it with rings, base, and sling.

There is a .30-06 just like it in the classifieds.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 11:51 AM

Just go to academy they have the best advice and clearly know everything. Joking aside. Plan to spend more for the optic or equal to the gun. I probably wouldn’t buy a package gun. Brands are plentiful that all shoot great at this point. If it were me, I would go see what feels best. Different strokes for all of us. I have no brand loyalty at all but best shooting rifles I’ve ever owned were sako, weatherby and I’m sure I’ll hear it later but ruger American.

Both calibers will do the job just fine personally if elk or other bigger game could be a factor I’d look at a 30-06 since there are so many different ammo options out there.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law
I would just get a 308 and be done

I would not get a 3006
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
I bought a stainless Tikka .308, it wears a Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18. I have about $1500 in it with rings, base, and sling.

There is a .30-06 just like it in the classifieds.

No need to over complicate your decision. This rig fits the need and then some.

But, if it were me I would buy a Ruger American Rifle in either 7mm08 or 308 with the “go wild” Camo stock with bronze cerakote coating. I own Tikka and really like them, but after handling this at the NRA show I want one.

You’re friends will be jealous, lol. Model numbers are:
26923 7mm08
26926 308

They retail for 699.00 meaning you should be able to find one under 600.

I highly recommend buying from these guys in Abilene: www.cdnnsports.com 800-588-9500. They have some great prices and they can easily ship it to you.

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 01:30 PM

I will add the fact that the Bushnell LRHS is no longer available in the new scope market place but I’m sure you can find used or last years model in some inventory.

For your needs I would look at Bushnell Elite or Burris in 3-15x44 with capped turrets and a good mildot reticle. Lighter weight for hunting but a reticle you could practice longer shots with by holding for distance and wind.
Posted By: Treinta-Treinta

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 01:59 PM

Sir, you cannot discount the 6.5 NeedMore because ammo manufacturers have clearly determined this round to succeed...But

I’d say a Winchester 70 Xtreme Weather in 270 Win with Talley rings and a Leupold FX3 6x42 will do whatever you need it to do.

Yes, there are other options

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
I will add the fact that the Bushnell LRHS is no longer available in the new scope market place but I’m sure you can find used or last years model in some inventory.

For your needs I would look at Bushnell Elite or Burris in 3-15x44 with capped turrets and a good mildot reticle. Lighter weight for hunting but a reticle you could practice longer shots with by holding for distance and wind.

What about night hunts? How will that scope do for him?

Here’s a question:for a super green person new to optics, do you advise keep it simple with MOA, and let them build from there as they pick up knowledge? OR would you advise going mils, custom turrets, dope, 1st or 2nd focal plane,
All new hand loading set ups, etc?

My animals are all dead with my crosshairs, knowing bullet drop.

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 02:05 PM

Never gone the fixed power route before myself. If I’m arguing simplicity, I reckon that’s an option.

Can’t do it though. I’d have to have some range in magnification.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by tcr2
Get ready.

clap

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bigfoot
I would think about 30-06 instead of 308. Just more versatile.

Or even a .270. Both are longstanding hunting calibers with moderate recoil and easier on the wallet.

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bullfrog

What about night hunts? How will that scope do for him?

Here’s a question:for a super green person new to optics, do you advise keep it simple with MOA, and let them build from there as they pick up knowledge? OR would you advise going mils, custom turrets, dope, 1st or 2nd focal plane,
All new hand loading set ups, etc?

My animals are all dead with my crosshairs, knowing bullet drop.

Night scopes are called that for a reason.

Always keep things as simple as possible. Higher chance of success when you do FME.

So you start from the beginning with mils. But IMO just using the reticle for distance not the turrets. Light and less expensive than exposed trackable turrets IMO.

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 02:28 PM

Googling night scopes now for training purposes.

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 02:28 PM

A little range time and some ammo, get to know your rig. You’ll be fine whatever you choose.

Yes, any rifle is only as accurate as the shooter. Go slow in getting the scope properly mounted and sighted for making shots at expected distances. The general rule of thumb is an inch high at 100 yards to produce a effective range of roughly 200 yards with no holdover. But then, the final numbers will depend on the caliber and load.

As you've already found out, you can spend A LOT of time thinking through all the numbers. As others have said, start by keeping it simple. Once you know the rifle and scope are set, practice until you know you can't miss.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 02:35 PM

30-06 browning or weatherby

Leupold or Burris 3-9 or 4-12
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 02:36 PM

Just buy both of these and you are good to go:
https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...ikka-t3x-308-and-leupold-vx3#Post7413628

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 02:39 PM

As far as caliber choice, when I made mine, I looked in a few Wal-Mart gun counters to see the most popular calibers they carried on a normal basis. Reason being, almost inevedably, if you take to hunting all the time you are going to be caught somewhere in podunk-ville and you would have forgotten your ammo or used it all up on a pack of rabid dogs trying to attack you . . . SO you’re gonna need ammo and Walmart always has certain calibers. 270 and 30-06 were ALWAYS in stock. Sometimes the 308 people like to clean house after a shooting in this country. I’ve never seen them run out of 270 or 30-06. Ever. Like. . . Ever Ever.

roflmao

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by aggiehunter03

Can’t scoff at that rig.

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 02:48 PM

Alright. Alright I’ll step back and let the grown ups talk now.
Posted By: howl

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 04:13 PM

Regarding cartridge cost, 100 yard practice ammo or even 300 yards on a big enough target is what cheap ammo generally does. If you want cheap and highly accurate ammo you will probably have to load your own. You can whack together good ammo with Lee scoops and hand dies, but you still gotta load when you'd rather shoot. .308! You can get a cool cartridge down the road.

You can just buy whatever rifle feels best to you. Everybody should have a .308, probably with a little heavier barrel, so why not start there. Pretty much all new rifles these days work well enough for hunting. A lightweight .308 gets kinda punchy after a box of cartridges. And lightweight barrels will start walking across the target. The only downside to a heavier barrel is if you're carrying it for miles or with a climbing stand and day pack.

The issue is the optic and mount. The mount is a critical piece because if your scope is not held zeroed to the rifle, the other pieces do not matter. The DNZ mounts are easy and work, but there are others. If the base and rings you like cost $200, don't balk. It's worth it to have a bombproof rig.

The scope is where most money should be spent. General rules for a general use hunting scope are ~50' field of view at 100 yards at lowest magnification and an objective diameter equal to the highest magnification you want to be multiplied by 7 for low light or 5 for well-lit conditions. This is where they get 1.5-6x42, 2-10x50, 3-12x56 or similar ratios. Your budget does not really account for this in high quality, so look at good enough for 30 min past sunset quality. You want good, not great, glass and a slightly heavy or lit reticle. These days that doesn't cost near as much as it used to.

Really, the high-quality glass out these days is overkill for what a hunter needs. And most people want to spend their money on the rifle. So...

https://www.natchezss.com/nikon-monarch-5-rifle-scope-2-10x50mm-ed-advanced-bdc-reticle-matte.html
https://www.dnzproducts.com/product/game-reaper-tikka/
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...4544/beretta_ctr_308_20_syn_stainless_10

A Burris Veracity on a Ruger American Predator would fit the budget, with a little more left for match ammo.
Posted By: Wreckt

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 04:35 PM

This is the hunting rifle I just built:

CZ 557 Sporter 30-06 - $550
Leupold RM CZ 550 medium rings $60
Leupold VX-3i 30mm 4.5-14x40 CDS $500
Murray A-1 Quick set rifle sling $75
Limbsaver recoil pad $35

All in for $1220.
Not a bad price for a walnut stock, sub-moa sporter with custom turrets than can ethically handle anything you listed up to 400 yards. Dialed mine in with Hornady 178gr ELD-X.

I also recommend the Bergara Ridge and Tikka T3 hunter; but this CZ is a pure work horse hunting rifle and I couldn’t be happier with it. Tikka and Bergara actions are slightly smoother, but this thing shoots every bit as well. Lots of good info by others on this thread as well. Best advice is try a few, or at least shoulder them and see what you like. Good luck

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Wreckt
This is the hunting rifle I just built:

CZ 557 Sporter 30-06 - $550
Leupold RM CZ 550 medium rings $60
Leupold VX-3i 30mm 4.5-14x40 CDS $500
Murray A-1 Quick set rifle sling $75
Limbsaver recoil pad $35

All in for $1220.
Not a bad price for a walnut stock, sub-moa sporter with custom turrets than can ethically handle anything you listed up to 400 yards. Dialed mine in with Hornady 178gr ELD-X.

I also recommend the Bergara Ridge and Tikka T3 hunter; but this CZ is a pure work horse hunting rifle and I couldn’t be happier with it. Tikka and Bergara actions are slightly smoother, but this thing shoots every bit as well. Lots of good info by others on this thread as well. Best advice is try a few, or at least shoulder them and see what you like. Good luck

Are you handloading or is that the Precision Hunter load? How far have you shot it? I thought about moving up from my .308 to an '06, but I think if I'm going up it will be .300 WSM or WM.
Posted By: Wreckt

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 05:16 PM

Factory precision hunter. Have only had it a few weeks and only shot it out to 300 so far. I love the 06 and think the 300 wsm is also pretty amazing. I had a 300 winmag years ago, while it was a great rifle, the recoil was harsh and therefore I rarely used it. I’m not incredibly recoil sensitive, but a light rifle with the winmag wasn’t fun for me. I could handle it in there field when I had to, but I’d rather use the 06. The win mag is definitely more effective at long range, but I have never taken a shot on an animal beyond 300 so the cost benefit was relatively small for me. In use my 6.5 Creedmoor for long range target shooting so I’m content on both fronts. Looking into a long range class later this year to get some instruction.

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 05:39 PM

-Have you shot anything bigger than the .22 before?

-where are you located?

-are you recoil sensitive at all? Do NOT be ashamed to admit it if you are. It’s your $.
Hunting with a lightweight 270 is easy. Try to sit and shoot that sucker all day will pound your shoulder. I swear, with Chad’s help and a few others, 270 will make a comeback in popularity. Wishful thinking. Lol

I've shot lots of 20g bird shot out of a shotgun, but nothing in a rifle higher then a .22.

I am located near Victoria Texas
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Victoria,+TX/@28.8295394,-97.0458849,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x864266db2e2dac3b:0xeee20d566f63267d!8m2!3d28.8052674!4d-97.0035982

I don't think that I am or would be. My goal would be to make sure the target goes down and not so much how my arm/shoulder felt in the process. Any pain would be quickly dismissed in my mind as long as I got the target.

Thank you for your feedback and questions!

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
Your needs are very broad, so the options are very broad. But a 308 is plenty for everything you stated. There are many calibers that would work well. Scope choice is up to you.

Something that may help is this link showing a variety of calibers and bullets and what velocity they can be pushed.

https://load-data.nosler.com/
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Recoil calculator of the rifle with certain bullet weights.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/recoil.asp

Bullet energy calculator

http://www.handloads.com/calc/quick.asp

What sort of information might you require so that options would narrow?

Thank you for your feedback and the links!

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Marc K
I couldn't begin to suggest a specific caliber and rifle without knowing a lot more about you, the shooter.

It's like asking "How long is a piece of rope and what can I do with it." The list of questions is long and varied. Without a whole lot more information most people will tell you what they have.

What sort of information would be helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 05:53 PM

To the OP, looks like you already have a TON of advice...but I can't help myself. I'm gonna weigh in too!

As for Caliber, just about any centerfire rifle will do the trick on hogs under 100 yards. I like my pistol caliber rifles for under 100 yard work on pigs. 357 mag specifically. Now for a one caliber for all in Texas and US, the 308 and 6.5 are both good choices. You will find that the differences will be negligible between the two. The .270 is also a very good choice, and if I was limited to one and only one rifle, it would be a .270.

The Remington and Savage that you mentioned should both do well for you. Personally, I like the Savage. Every Savage I have ever purchased has worked perfectly, and been very accurate right out of the box. I can not say that for Remington, Bergara, Ruger even. Too bad, cause I really like Rugers. I have never owned a Tikka, but they get talked up a lot on here. I decided against the Tikka because they only hold 3 in the mag, whereas savage, and Remington hold 4.

Scope. Don't get a package deal with a scope, because you will most likely just throw the package scope away. For most hunting situations, a 3-9 x 40 scope is all that you need. I have vortex, bushnell and nikon scopes in 3-9x40 and are happy with all of them. Don't buy bottom of the line Bushnell if you are going that route, buy top of the line. Others on here have surggested some other top of the line scopes, and some of those guys have probably forgotten more about scopes than I will ever know.

On your pig hunt, you will either need a green or red light, or a specific night vision scope. I'd ask your hunting friends if they have pig lights already set up for the hunt.

Good luck and welcome to the THF!!

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 08:42 PM

Not sure anyone has mentioned it but where to hit a feral hog with a bullet is definitely worth throwing out for discussion, especially for someone who has never shot one before. They are very durable creatures and can dust off a poorly-placed bullet better than anything in the Texas woods. I have always aimed for the base of the skull or top of the neck area. Heart and lung shots are lethal if you don't mind them dying in the next county.

I'm sure others will have their own opinions as they should.
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 08:49 PM

Yep what he said.

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Not sure anyone has mentioned it but where to hit a feral hog with a bullet is definitely worth throwing out for discussion, especially for someone who has never shot one before. They are very durable creatures and can dust off a poorly-placed bullet better than anything in the Texas woods. I have always aimed for the base of the skull or top of the neck area. Heart and lung shots are lethal if you don't mind them dying in the next county.

While I agree pigs are pretty tough, and while the op won't likely run into one, I'd put my money on nilgai as being the toughest animal in Texas woods.
Posted By: spankyttx

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 09:50 PM

maybe if it was native to texas. but it's not, it's a high fence thing in texas isn't it

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 09:58 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

While I agree pigs are pretty tough, and while the op won't likely run into one, I'd put my money on nilgai as being the toughest animal in Texas woods.

I seem to remember reading they are very hard to hunt but didn't know they were also hard to kill.

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by spankyttx
maybe if it was native to texas. but it's not, it's a high fence thing in texas isn't it

Yes and no. They were brought in to the King Ranch, which is not game fenced.

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/29/19 10:56 PM

Sounds to me he just wants something to cover all his hunting needs, now and possible future with no paper punching. Water was mentioned so a lightweight synthetic stock is needed. I don’t know down and dirty with the water he’ll be but probably a safe bet to go stainless, though I still wouldn’t rule out a blues option, just being somewhat careful to get it dry when possible. No night vision so I’m assuming lighting is covered already by the buddy, whether it’s overhead pig lights or even a spotlight, he needs a scope he can see the retical both day and night. Caliber that will cover them all, all the way to elk, which I wouldn’t want ANYthing less than 270. Even then, I’d get some hot loads from Chad before pulling the trigger. Let’s be honest too. Most shots that will ever be taken on game will be <300yds in which the 270 beats 6.5 and 308 for energy at 300. The 6.5 is less energy but the velocity is slightly better. Both will kill the same to me. All the 100-200 ya shots, I’m a 270 guy.

Ok time to find which gun/scope combo it’s gonna be now. roflmao
Posted By: spankyttx

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/30/19 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by spankyttx

Yes and no. They were brought in to the King Ranch, which is not game fenced.

curious, no barbwire fence at all? do they run wild on open land? it appears a barbwire fence could contain them

p.s. if this sidebar is out of line, would you pm me pitchfork

thanks

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/30/19 07:49 AM

Ok. I don’t know where the heck to get one or how fast you can BUT I have found the rifle that will be a do-it-all gun for anything you need in North America but bears. A new take on an old design. It is all weather. It is short enough to maneuver in blinds or tree stands or will be very comfortable to carry around. And since you’re not against Remington like every else is out there, here you go. This will be one to pass down one day as a shooter, not a safe queen. The ONLY drawback I can come up with in it’s current configuration (which you haven’t mentioned anyway) is that it has a target crown and isn’t threaded for suppressor. Later if you get into the quiet game, just go have it threaded for one. No big deal. There are 4 round choices. .243, 7mm-08, .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Take your pick, depending on which bullet you intend to shoot.

Remington Model-7 SS HS. Here’s a recent review I found. http://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/review-remington-model-seven-ss-hs/330975

I just hope it’s available in time for your hunt. Everyone has them listed but none in stock currently. up Now, gotta find glass for it. I’m very partial to Talley Lightweights for my hunting rig. https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/product/model-7-600-2-piece/

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/30/19 03:19 PM

I have drooled over this dern little gun all last night and this morning! I can not WAIT to git me one! up

[Linked Image]

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/30/19 03:42 PM

Sounds to me he just wants something to cover all his hunting needs, now and possible future with no paper punching. Water was mentioned so a lightweight synthetic stock is needed. I don&#146;t know down and dirty with the water he&#146;ll be but probably a safe bet to go stainless, though I still wouldn&#146;t rule out a blues option, just being somewhat careful to get it dry when possible. No night vision so I&#146;m assuming lighting is covered already by the buddy, whether it&#146;s overhead pig lights or even a spotlight, he needs a scope he can see the retical both day and night. Caliber that will cover them all, all the way to elk, which I wouldn&#146;t want ANYthing less than 270. Even then, I&#146;d get some hot loads from Chad before pulling the trigger. Let&#146;s be honest too. Most shots that will ever be taken on game will be <300yds in which the 270 beats 6.5 and 308 for energy at 300. The 6.5 is less energy but the velocity is slightly better. Both will kill the same to me. All the 100-200 ya shots, I&#146;m a 270 guy.

Ok time to find which gun/scope combo it&#146;s gonna be now. roflmao

Yes my friend uses very bright green lights from the deer blind to shine on a deer feeder about 85 yards from his blind. He says that they don't even notice the green light and you can just pick them off. Apparently it is common for him to take a shot with a .270 at this range that isn't suppressed and apparently after some waiting the pigs come back to get shot at again.

I do not have night vision in terms of what the military uses, or anything remotely like that. Just naked eyes and what the spotlight my buddy is using for now.

In terms of caliber, I'll have to look into .270's terminal velocity or kinetic energy in terms of under 300 yards. Most military engagements involving infantry take place under 400 yards so I can't imagine engaging past that point.

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/30/19 03:51 PM

Ok here’s my little build. I think I may have gone a little over budget but I bet you this gun will be the handiest lil booger ever!

Remington Model 7 SS HS.
LeupoldVX-R Patrol 4-12x40mm (30mm) Firedot-G TMR (didn’t go 15X due to size, plus 12X is plenty for hunting)
Leupold Mark 2 IMS 30mm Scope Mount, Picatinny Mounting, Matte Black

I’d have plans for a new bolt knob and threading the barrel later on but for now, just keep on shooting at whatever I want! Except for bears apparently. That’s what the new Remny 1911 Hunter Long Slide will be for. up

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/30/19 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by DocHorton

That’s a $1300 scope! Ouch!

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/30/19 06:31 PM

Ok here&#146;s my little build. I think I may have gone a little over budget but I bet you this gun will be the handiest lil booger ever!

Remington Model 7 SS HS.
LeupoldVX-R Patrol 4-12x40mm (30mm) Firedot-G TMR (didn&#146;t go 15X due to size, plus 12X is plenty for hunting)
Leupold Mark 2 IMS 30mm Scope Mount, Picatinny Mounting, Matte Black

I&#146;d have plans for a new bolt knob and threading the barrel later on but for now, just keep on shooting at whatever I want! Except for bears apparently. That&#146;s what the new Remny 1911 Hunter Long Slide will be for. up

Thank you so much Bullforg,

I'll have to look into that Remington Model 7 SS HS in more depth when I am at home. It has the synthetic stock and stainless steel barrel I am looking for.

The only other rifle I've looked at thus far since posting the original post has been a T3x Super Varmint in .308 as it seems to be the only one that come with a synethetic stock, stainless steel barrel that can come threaded and in .308. Do any of you guys have input on these to rifles?

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/30/19 07:00 PM

Yep, the Tikka is a bad dude. Last time I looked for them, there were no new rifles available in the Varmint or Super varmint. I wonder if they started showing up. Look at the Tikka CTR too

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/30/19 07:02 PM

Shoot. The ctr ain’t stainless.

You may have to stick with the Lite or this one is pretty sweet. I can’t find any heavy barrels in 308
https://www.cabelas.com/product/sho...e-bolt-action-rifle/2903943.uts?slotId=0

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/30/19 07:30 PM

Shoot. The ctr ain’t stainless.

You may have to stick with the Lite or this one is pretty sweet. I can’t find any heavy barrels in 308

Stainless will still rust. Buy the gun you want and get it Cerakoted to prevent rust.
Posted By: howl

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/31/19 12:00 AM

Most stainless rifles have blued parts. Does the TIKKA? Not saying looks aren't important, but if you just want SS for rust resistance, know it isn't all it's chalked up to be.

Nothing wrong with just wanting the SS look, though.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/31/19 12:06 AM

They make the CTR in stainless. Just not sure if it's sold at Cabelas.

If you're interested in a CTR, there is some site selling them on the cheap. Can't remember it right now, but I can look it up on snipers hide if you're interested.

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/31/19 04:16 PM

Shoot. The ctr ain&#146;t stainless.

You may have to stick with the Lite or this one is pretty sweet. I can&#146;t find any heavy barrels in 308

So I am really liking what I am hearing about Tikka and I am starting to lean towards getting one. However, I have read some conflicting information on them. I was told by a Doctor I work with that the Tikka Lite and Superlites are not of the same quality as the normal T3xs. Can anyone elaborate, confirm or deny? Please and thank you!

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/31/19 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by howl
Most stainless rifles have blued parts. Does the TIKKA? Not saying looks aren't important, but if you just want SS for rust resistance, know it isn't all it's chalked up to be.

Nothing wrong with just wanting the SS look, though.

I was wanting to go stainless for the improvement to rust, but also due to its stronger resistance to damage which supposedly keeps the barrel life higher then a plain carbon barrel. Like I said I am wanting it to last and beat the elements.

Someone mentioned coating it but I am not to clear on that process, I'll have to look into that more now.

Overall, I am not to concerned with looks as I am with functionality, precision and "stopping power."

Posted By: wp75169

Re: New Hunter Advice on Rifle & Scope - 01/31/19 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by MrPustka
Shoot. The ctr ain&#146;t stainless.

You may have to stick with the Lite or this one is pretty sweet. I can&#146;t find any heavy barrels in 308

So I am really liking what I am hearing about Tikka and I am starting to lean towards getting one. However, I have read some conflicting information on them. I was told by a Doctor I work with that the Tikka Lite and Superlites are not of the same quality as the normal T3xs. Can anyone elaborate, confirm or deny? Please and thank you!

I feel like you’re doctor was misinformed. The only thing the lite rifles can’t do is shoot long strings of shots accurately. The barrel is too thin. It will shoot three into the same hole with handloads. As far as quality it’s same action as any other Tikka. It will also shoot as well or better than any other factory rifle with that thin of a barrel.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum