Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: #7258389 08/16/18 08:45 PM
Creekrunner Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
'Sitting with my brother in the hospital yesterday, he told me a story about our family truck equipment firm that I'd never heard before.

San Antonio Mayor McAllister came to my dad and grandfather, probably in the late 1950's, maybe early '60's, with an International pickup. (Some of you young bucks won't know what that is.) He wanted a hunting rig made out of it - cut the top, lay down the windshield, and build a semi-high rack with a bench seat in the back. We'd done Jeepsters (again, young punks will be clueless) for the Klebergs and a few other various hunting cars/trucks. They (since I wasn't "a twinkle" yet) built it and it was delivered.

The mayor's son took his son hunting in it. Someone unknown was driving, Mayor's son was in the back "rack" and Mayor's grandson was in the passenger seat. You know where this is going. Mayor's grandson stands up right as Mayor's son is firing - Mayor's grandson is killed.

They brought the truck back to us and, as requested, we took it to Newell Salvage to be crushed/shredded.

Be very careful out there. Be extra-careful around a vehicle. And be Super-duper careful if there's any kind of rack/backseat involved. I remind folks all the time that a lot of hunting accidents happen around a vehicle. Hell, I've been careless a time or two. Caution flags should go up as you walk up to a vehicle.

I came very close to this scenario in an open '66 Bronco with me driving, my service manager in back, and A CUSTOMER! in the front passenger seat. It is frozen in my mind and I have complete recall as to how close we all came to a terrible tragedy.

Again, please be careful during the upcoming seasons, and all seasons thereafter. up

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Creekrunner] #7258469 08/16/18 09:59 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
I read a story a few years back in TTH magazine about a man that was driving in a high rack and came across an electric line and was electrocuted. Sad deal.

Last edited by Erathkid; 08/16/18 09:59 PM.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Creekrunner] #7258476 08/16/18 10:08 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Good advice, thanks for sharing. up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Creekrunner] #7258531 08/16/18 10:57 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I do not know why but dove hunting and quail hunting keep me on my toes. I have had more near issues while bird hunting than any other.
Thanks for the reminder.
Be safe out there.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Creekrunner] #7258900 08/17/18 03:19 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Much needed post prior to the start of hunting. Take nothing for granted.

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Creekrunner] #7258922 08/17/18 03:57 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
More shooting related accidents happen near vehicles than in the woods simply because it's where people often drop their guard.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Creekrunner] #7259189 08/17/18 02:10 PM
R
Rack Ranch Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
There is a story that comes up ,as a reminder, every year about this time, on another forum, about a grandfather who had his granddaughter in the passenger seat of a hunting truck with the windshield down. He shot at a Javi and a piece of shrapnel ricochet back and hit her in the heart and killed her. I will look for the story as the father of the daughter tells it. Very sad...

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Creekrunner] #7259242 08/17/18 02:34 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Although not easy to find on the TPWD website, the Hunting Accident Reports offer a wide range of lessons to be learned with their detailed descriptions of hunting and shooting related accidents.

I always read some of the best (or worst depending on your point of view) ones when delivering Hunter Education courses so that people will hopefully recognize they can be just as susceptible to an accident if they're not always careful.

Here's an example of what you'll find in these reports. From a fatal incident described in last year's Accident Report...

"Four hunters were hunting hogs in an open field at night and the victim lagged behind the others. As the hunters (unknown) fired at scattering hogs, one of their bullets struck in the right upper chest of the victim. He was crouched, possibly looking like a hog, especially in the dark."

TPWD Hunting Accident Reports

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/17/18 02:40 PM.

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Rack Ranch] #7259277 08/17/18 03:00 PM
J
Jim B Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted By: Rack Ranch
There is a story that comes up ,as a reminder, every year about this time, on another forum, about a grandfather who had his granddaughter in the passenger seat of a hunting truck with the windshield down. He shot at a Javi and a piece of shrapnel ricochet back and hit her in the heart and killed her. I will look for the story as the father of the daughter tells it. Very sad...

Is this the one?

Ryleigh

Jim
Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Jim B] #7259307 08/17/18 03:17 PM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Jim B

Is this the one?

Ryleigh

Man that is rough. Thanks for the reminders. No do overs out there in the field.

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Creekrunner] #7259320 08/17/18 03:25 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
IMO, there's a question every hunter should consider when thinking about all the risks we take by climbing into tree stands 30 feet off the ground, leaving a gun loaded when walking to and from our stand because we "think" we might see a deer, or any of the many other things we might do in our eagerness to find an opportunity to pull a trigger. Why did we feel it was so important just to shoot something?

So what if you don't have a loaded gun in your truck when you see a deer? Do you really have such a strong need to kill one that you need to create the strong potential for an unsafe situation? It's not like any of us are starving to death.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/17/18 03:40 PM.

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Jim B] #7259344 08/17/18 03:50 PM
R
Rack Ranch Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
Yes sir, her is the story. Very sad.
http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=140426&highlight=Ryleigh
Originally Posted By: Jim B

Is this the one?

Ryleigh

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Rack Ranch] #7259345 08/17/18 03:52 PM
R
Rack Ranch Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
Yes sir, here is the story. Very sad.
First of all I hope everone has a great hunting season. Not just the harvest, but much needed valuable time spent with friends, family, kids, etc at the deer camp and in the woods. We ourselves will be out there. Make some lifetime memories.

Now onto the subject. Many of you know me and some do not.
On December 4, 2005 my Little girl 6 1/2 Died in a freak accident. She was hunting with my father on his ranch and they saw some hogs run across the road. They stopped to shoot one. Ryleigh was sitting in the passenger seat of my dad's jeep Cherokee with ear protection/ safety glasses on. My dad always concerned about hunting safety.

My Dad opened his door, used the jam as a brace and shot down the road at a pig. But something had gone wrong. The bullet fragmented/Ricocheted and a very very very tiny fragment had come backward into the jeep striking Ryleigh in the heart. So tiny you would not believe it. She never cried and was not scared. There was very little blood. A drop or 2.

The entrance looked like a tiny paper cut. It was just in the wrong place. At the time he was not sure what or how bad it was. He just rushed her to the hospital. They taked all the way there until she passed out from internal blood loss. Then they found out where and what. Unfortunately they could not save her. This has been so hard on us and my dad(58yrs old). Because he felt like he was keeping her safe.

We miss her more everyday, But the boys 10 and 12 and I are still out hunting and living as she would want. I have no problem with how my little girl died. She was doing exactly what she wanted to be doing and she was with someone that loved her so very much. I could only be so lucky. Many death's in this world are much more horrible. She was my dad's favorite person in the whole world. Thats why she was there.

We lived a wonderful life with her and are so very grateful for the 6 1/2 years that the good Lord gave us with her. We could have never had her at all. So we are thankful for what we had. We have many awesome hunting and fishing memories to cherish until we see her agian.

Her Life and death has been such a life changing event for so many. I have seen and continue to see so much good come out this that it amazes me. I was told another story by someone this last Saturday on how her death change this person's life and saved their family. God works wonders through all things.

You have a 1 in 500,000 chance of being killed in a hunting shooting in Texas and a 1-5,000 chance of being killed in a car wreck. Much more dangerous to be in a car wreck. But things still happen. We were the 1 in 500,000

All I ask is to THINK MORE ABOUT SAFETY this year while out hunting. Talk to your campmates about it. We sometimes after years of doing the same thing get to comfortable and forget about Safety. No loaded guns in camp, trucks, etc. And PLEASE DO NOT SHOOT FROM YOUR TRUCK.
http://ryleigh-shelton.memory-of.com scroll through her photo album. We are still loading pictures. I have alot of hunting/fishing pictures still to add.

Not all people live to be old. Today is a gift. Use it wisely.
Yesterday is gone for ever, Tomorrow is not guaranteed, all you really have is Today. Make the most of it.
Have a great Year and Good luck.

PLEASE do not feel sorry for us. We were lucky to have known the value of time well spent together. And have many wonderful memories together. Those memories and experiences are worth any amount of pain that I have had to go through. We could have never had her at all. Sure it was short and it hurts but it was awesome. I just pray that all of you can have such an awesome life together.

I hope through these efforts to just get one person to make a change in the way they do things or to make a last second decision that might save their or someone else life.

Is this the one?

Ryleigh
[/quote]

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Creekrunner] #7259377 08/17/18 04:12 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
So very very sad. Rest in peace little angel. angel

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Creekrunner] #7259481 08/17/18 05:57 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
tough break, just solidifies the quote he listed
Quote:
Not all people live to be old. Today is a gift. Use it wisely.
Yesterday is gone for ever, Tomorrow is not guaranteed, all you really have is Today. Make the most of it.

lost a close friend in high school to a shotgun accident, another close lifelong friend lost her dad in a shotgun accident ... can never be too safe and very aware of our surroundings.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Creekrunner] #7259499 08/17/18 06:12 PM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
That story about Ryleigh is brutal. That poor grandfather. I can't imagine.

Everyone be safe out there. Good reminder. Thanks for the thread.

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Creekrunner] #7259802 08/17/18 09:55 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
IMO, there's a question every hunter should consider when thinking about all the risks we take by climbing into tree stands 30 feet off the ground, leaving a gun loaded when walking to and from our stand because we "think" we might see a deer, or any of the many other things we might do in our eagerness to find an opportunity to pull a trigger. Why did we feel it was so important just to shoot something?

I think they call that hunting.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Texas Dan] #7260357 08/18/18 03:45 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

So what if you don't have a loaded gun in your truck when you see a deer? Do you really have such a strong need to kill one that you need to create the strong potential for an unsafe situation? It's not like any of us are starving to death.

I think you are better off staying at home... Grocery store could be dangerous for you.

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Creekrunner] #7260506 08/18/18 07:43 PM
S
Scott W Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Sad stories for sure. Thanks for the reminder. My brother just bought a high rack for his truck so we will definitely have a safety meeting with kids and adults each time before it's used.

Originally Posted by Scott W
Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Creekrunner] #7260772 08/19/18 12:59 AM
T
TX - Longhorns Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
Thanks for the reminder... I was just talking with a buddy yesterday about anything can happen at anytime while you are hunting (and in life of course), and some of the things that you would never think could happen, they do...

Stay safe out there my friends.....

Last edited by TX - Longhorns; 08/19/18 01:01 AM.
Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Creekrunner] #7260777 08/19/18 01:06 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Good reminder. I had a customer in Louisiana years back that was letting his granddaughter ride in the bucket of his tractor while he was shredding. That man was never the same after he shredded thaT little girl. No kids on or around the tractor when it’s running.

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Creekrunner] #7261076 08/19/18 02:45 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
A day may come for some of you when you realize you love staying alive and being with family a lot more than you hate deer and hogs.

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Texas Dan] #7261186 08/19/18 04:12 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Such sad stories. I’ve had some close calls as well. Quail hunting from buggies can be dangerous. Somewhere back in the 2008 time frame we discovered that Polaris rangers could be driven through the big lake brush as fast as coyotes can run. Polaris’s can do it longer though. So while quail hunting, if a coyote jumped up in a place where we could chase it, we did.

I was driving with two high rack hunters in back one day when a yote jumped and we chased him. As he tired and we got closer the gunners started loading him up with quai shot. He slowed way down and I was driving up on him hot and he started rolling and I hit the brake right as the gunner behind me shot. It blew a 4x6” hole in the roof of the Polaris about a foot and a half in front of my head.

Haven’t chased a yote since, and I don’t recommend it.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Texas Dan] #7261193 08/19/18 04:20 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
A day may come for some of you when you realize you love staying alive and being with family a lot more than you hate deer and hogs.

Again, it is called hunting. If you are so unsafe as to not be able to walk with a loaded gun, then you shouldn't have a gun. You probably shouldn't be outside.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Creekrunner] #7261216 08/19/18 04:38 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Two incidents come to mind with vehicles and hunting situations. The son of a man I worked with was killed while riding in the bed of a pickup across a field. The truck ran though a ditch or hole in the field, ejecting the young man, and he died instantly. Just doing something many of us have probably done many times ourselves, but with tragic consequences this time.

Second, many years ago we were riding in friend's pickup on way back to camp. It was cold and there were three of us in the cab, I was in the middle, and another friend against the door with his gun laying muzzle down to the floor. Driver asked if it was unloaded and was told no, but safety was on, and to prove, he pulled trigger. Uh huh...no one was hurt, but my ears rang for a month. The bullet also traveled through floor of truck and blew out the front right side tire.

Complacency and testosterone - each can be bad, but when mixed, the results can be deadly. Be safe people!

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide