Texas Hunting Forum

Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale:

Posted By: Creekrunner

Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/16/18 08:45 PM

'Sitting with my brother in the hospital yesterday, he told me a story about our family truck equipment firm that I'd never heard before.

San Antonio Mayor McAllister came to my dad and grandfather, probably in the late 1950's, maybe early '60's, with an International pickup. (Some of you young bucks won't know what that is.) He wanted a hunting rig made out of it - cut the top, lay down the windshield, and build a semi-high rack with a bench seat in the back. We'd done Jeepsters (again, young punks will be clueless) for the Klebergs and a few other various hunting cars/trucks. They (since I wasn't "a twinkle" yet) built it and it was delivered.

The mayor's son took his son hunting in it. Someone unknown was driving, Mayor's son was in the back "rack" and Mayor's grandson was in the passenger seat. You know where this is going. Mayor's grandson stands up right as Mayor's son is firing - Mayor's grandson is killed.

They brought the truck back to us and, as requested, we took it to Newell Salvage to be crushed/shredded.

Be very careful out there. Be extra-careful around a vehicle. And be Super-duper careful if there's any kind of rack/backseat involved. I remind folks all the time that a lot of hunting accidents happen around a vehicle. Hell, I've been careless a time or two. Caution flags should go up as you walk up to a vehicle.

I came very close to this scenario in an open '66 Bronco with me driving, my service manager in back, and A CUSTOMER! in the front passenger seat. It is frozen in my mind and I have complete recall as to how close we all came to a terrible tragedy.

Again, please be careful during the upcoming seasons, and all seasons thereafter. up
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/16/18 09:59 PM

I read a story a few years back in TTH magazine about a man that was driving in a high rack and came across an electric line and was electrocuted. Sad deal.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/16/18 10:08 PM

Good advice, thanks for sharing. up
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/16/18 10:57 PM

I do not know why but dove hunting and quail hunting keep me on my toes. I have had more near issues while bird hunting than any other.
Thanks for the reminder.
Be safe out there.
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/17/18 03:19 AM

Much needed post prior to the start of hunting. Take nothing for granted.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/17/18 03:57 AM

More shooting related accidents happen near vehicles than in the woods simply because it's where people often drop their guard.
Posted By: Rack Ranch

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/17/18 02:10 PM

There is a story that comes up ,as a reminder, every year about this time, on another forum, about a grandfather who had his granddaughter in the passenger seat of a hunting truck with the windshield down. He shot at a Javi and a piece of shrapnel ricochet back and hit her in the heart and killed her. I will look for the story as the father of the daughter tells it. Very sad...

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/17/18 02:34 PM

Although not easy to find on the TPWD website, the Hunting Accident Reports offer a wide range of lessons to be learned with their detailed descriptions of hunting and shooting related accidents.

I always read some of the best (or worst depending on your point of view) ones when delivering Hunter Education courses so that people will hopefully recognize they can be just as susceptible to an accident if they're not always careful.

Here's an example of what you'll find in these reports. From a fatal incident described in last year's Accident Report...

"Four hunters were hunting hogs in an open field at night and the victim lagged behind the others. As the hunters (unknown) fired at scattering hogs, one of their bullets struck in the right upper chest of the victim. He was crouched, possibly looking like a hog, especially in the dark."

TPWD Hunting Accident Reports
Posted By: Jim B

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/17/18 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Rack Ranch
There is a story that comes up ,as a reminder, every year about this time, on another forum, about a grandfather who had his granddaughter in the passenger seat of a hunting truck with the windshield down. He shot at a Javi and a piece of shrapnel ricochet back and hit her in the heart and killed her. I will look for the story as the father of the daughter tells it. Very sad...

Is this the one?

Ryleigh
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/17/18 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim B

Is this the one?

Ryleigh

Man that is rough. Thanks for the reminders. No do overs out there in the field.

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/17/18 03:25 PM

IMO, there's a question every hunter should consider when thinking about all the risks we take by climbing into tree stands 30 feet off the ground, leaving a gun loaded when walking to and from our stand because we "think" we might see a deer, or any of the many other things we might do in our eagerness to find an opportunity to pull a trigger. Why did we feel it was so important just to shoot something?

So what if you don't have a loaded gun in your truck when you see a deer? Do you really have such a strong need to kill one that you need to create the strong potential for an unsafe situation? It's not like any of us are starving to death.

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/17/18 03:50 PM

Yes sir, her is the story. Very sad.
http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=140426&highlight=Ryleigh
Originally Posted By: Jim B

Is this the one?

Ryleigh

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/17/18 03:52 PM

Yes sir, here is the story. Very sad.
First of all I hope everone has a great hunting season. Not just the harvest, but much needed valuable time spent with friends, family, kids, etc at the deer camp and in the woods. We ourselves will be out there. Make some lifetime memories.

Now onto the subject. Many of you know me and some do not.
On December 4, 2005 my Little girl 6 1/2 Died in a freak accident. She was hunting with my father on his ranch and they saw some hogs run across the road. They stopped to shoot one. Ryleigh was sitting in the passenger seat of my dad's jeep Cherokee with ear protection/ safety glasses on. My dad always concerned about hunting safety.

My Dad opened his door, used the jam as a brace and shot down the road at a pig. But something had gone wrong. The bullet fragmented/Ricocheted and a very very very tiny fragment had come backward into the jeep striking Ryleigh in the heart. So tiny you would not believe it. She never cried and was not scared. There was very little blood. A drop or 2.

The entrance looked like a tiny paper cut. It was just in the wrong place. At the time he was not sure what or how bad it was. He just rushed her to the hospital. They taked all the way there until she passed out from internal blood loss. Then they found out where and what. Unfortunately they could not save her. This has been so hard on us and my dad(58yrs old). Because he felt like he was keeping her safe.

We miss her more everyday, But the boys 10 and 12 and I are still out hunting and living as she would want. I have no problem with how my little girl died. She was doing exactly what she wanted to be doing and she was with someone that loved her so very much. I could only be so lucky. Many death's in this world are much more horrible. She was my dad's favorite person in the whole world. Thats why she was there.

We lived a wonderful life with her and are so very grateful for the 6 1/2 years that the good Lord gave us with her. We could have never had her at all. So we are thankful for what we had. We have many awesome hunting and fishing memories to cherish until we see her agian.

Her Life and death has been such a life changing event for so many. I have seen and continue to see so much good come out this that it amazes me. I was told another story by someone this last Saturday on how her death change this person's life and saved their family. God works wonders through all things.

You have a 1 in 500,000 chance of being killed in a hunting shooting in Texas and a 1-5,000 chance of being killed in a car wreck. Much more dangerous to be in a car wreck. But things still happen. We were the 1 in 500,000

All I ask is to THINK MORE ABOUT SAFETY this year while out hunting. Talk to your campmates about it. We sometimes after years of doing the same thing get to comfortable and forget about Safety. No loaded guns in camp, trucks, etc. And PLEASE DO NOT SHOOT FROM YOUR TRUCK.
http://ryleigh-shelton.memory-of.com scroll through her photo album. We are still loading pictures. I have alot of hunting/fishing pictures still to add.

Not all people live to be old. Today is a gift. Use it wisely.
Yesterday is gone for ever, Tomorrow is not guaranteed, all you really have is Today. Make the most of it.
Have a great Year and Good luck.

PLEASE do not feel sorry for us. We were lucky to have known the value of time well spent together. And have many wonderful memories together. Those memories and experiences are worth any amount of pain that I have had to go through. We could have never had her at all. Sure it was short and it hurts but it was awesome. I just pray that all of you can have such an awesome life together.

I hope through these efforts to just get one person to make a change in the way they do things or to make a last second decision that might save their or someone else life.

Is this the one?

Ryleigh
[/quote]
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/17/18 04:12 PM

So very very sad. Rest in peace little angel. angel
Posted By: PMK

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/17/18 05:57 PM

tough break, just solidifies the quote he listed
Quote:
Not all people live to be old. Today is a gift. Use it wisely.
Yesterday is gone for ever, Tomorrow is not guaranteed, all you really have is Today. Make the most of it.

lost a close friend in high school to a shotgun accident, another close lifelong friend lost her dad in a shotgun accident ... can never be too safe and very aware of our surroundings.
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/17/18 06:12 PM

That story about Ryleigh is brutal. That poor grandfather. I can't imagine.

Everyone be safe out there. Good reminder. Thanks for the thread.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/17/18 09:55 PM

Quote:
IMO, there's a question every hunter should consider when thinking about all the risks we take by climbing into tree stands 30 feet off the ground, leaving a gun loaded when walking to and from our stand because we "think" we might see a deer, or any of the many other things we might do in our eagerness to find an opportunity to pull a trigger. Why did we feel it was so important just to shoot something?

I think they call that hunting.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/18/18 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

So what if you don't have a loaded gun in your truck when you see a deer? Do you really have such a strong need to kill one that you need to create the strong potential for an unsafe situation? It's not like any of us are starving to death.

I think you are better off staying at home... Grocery store could be dangerous for you.
Posted By: Scott W

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/18/18 07:43 PM

Sad stories for sure. Thanks for the reminder. My brother just bought a high rack for his truck so we will definitely have a safety meeting with kids and adults each time before it's used.
Posted By: TX - Longhorns

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/19/18 12:59 AM

Thanks for the reminder... I was just talking with a buddy yesterday about anything can happen at anytime while you are hunting (and in life of course), and some of the things that you would never think could happen, they do...

Stay safe out there my friends.....
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/19/18 01:06 AM

Good reminder. I had a customer in Louisiana years back that was letting his granddaughter ride in the bucket of his tractor while he was shredding. That man was never the same after he shredded thaT little girl. No kids on or around the tractor when it’s running.

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/19/18 02:45 PM

A day may come for some of you when you realize you love staying alive and being with family a lot more than you hate deer and hogs.
Posted By: therancher

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/19/18 04:12 PM

Such sad stories. I’ve had some close calls as well. Quail hunting from buggies can be dangerous. Somewhere back in the 2008 time frame we discovered that Polaris rangers could be driven through the big lake brush as fast as coyotes can run. Polaris’s can do it longer though. So while quail hunting, if a coyote jumped up in a place where we could chase it, we did.

I was driving with two high rack hunters in back one day when a yote jumped and we chased him. As he tired and we got closer the gunners started loading him up with quai shot. He slowed way down and I was driving up on him hot and he started rolling and I hit the brake right as the gunner behind me shot. It blew a 4x6” hole in the roof of the Polaris about a foot and a half in front of my head.

Haven’t chased a yote since, and I don’t recommend it.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/19/18 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
A day may come for some of you when you realize you love staying alive and being with family a lot more than you hate deer and hogs.

Again, it is called hunting. If you are so unsafe as to not be able to walk with a loaded gun, then you shouldn't have a gun. You probably shouldn't be outside.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/19/18 04:38 PM

Two incidents come to mind with vehicles and hunting situations. The son of a man I worked with was killed while riding in the bed of a pickup across a field. The truck ran though a ditch or hole in the field, ejecting the young man, and he died instantly. Just doing something many of us have probably done many times ourselves, but with tragic consequences this time.

Second, many years ago we were riding in friend's pickup on way back to camp. It was cold and there were three of us in the cab, I was in the middle, and another friend against the door with his gun laying muzzle down to the floor. Driver asked if it was unloaded and was told no, but safety was on, and to prove, he pulled trigger. Uh huh...no one was hurt, but my ears rang for a month. The bullet also traveled through floor of truck and blew out the front right side tire.

Complacency and testosterone - each can be bad, but when mixed, the results can be deadly. Be safe people!

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/19/18 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Dalroo
Complacency and testosterone - each can be bad, but when mixed, the results can be deadly. Be safe people!

Yes, those two components added with a dose of "never me" are a very dangerous mixture no doubt.

Unfortunately, the "hard way" is the only way some people learn. And the ability to quickly recognize members of this "elite" group carries enormous value.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/19/18 07:00 PM

Anyone my vintage has done some things that were obviously unsafe with hindsight. Stupid even. Either that or they didn’t grow up in the country.

Hunter Education has been a good thing to at least raise awareness and hopefully cut down on a lot of obviously unsafe practices. (No loaded guns in vehicles, alcohol and guns don’t mix, unload before crossing fences, etc., etc.)

But there’s some amount of risk in just about everything we do if you choose to get out of bed every morning and live a life. That’s just a fact. One can act like they’re perfect and therefore nothing could ever happen to them - but one would simply be in denial.
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/19/18 08:17 PM

I would much rather hunt with a younger crowd than older...seem to be safer.

But if you are climbing a tree stand with a loaded gun(safety on or not) you maybe in the running for a Darwin Award.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/20/18 04:28 AM

Every accident can be avoided and it is everyone's responsibility to check others. Guy I hunt on the lease with has a high rack we use in west Texas and we were hunting with a friend of his. Apparantly in the past year, they were predator hunting and between stands the guy didn't unload his rifle and shot a hole through the floor into the catalytic converter. Their hunt ended with an extremely noisy ride to the shop 50 miles away luckily. Loaded gun and safety off I guess. Luckily still has a foot. Was a new hunter in his upper 40s.

I have only had one potential accident and it was a sling and a loaded shotgun. I never sling any firearm loaded period now. I've since heard PHs in Africa say the most dangerous thing is a hunter with loaded rifle and a sling.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 08/27/18 09:10 PM

Rack Ranch such a heart wrenching story. I'm shooting with my grandsons all the time. If something like that ever happened I couldn't bear it. When I was 12 I almost shot my dad. In my excitement to shoot my first pheasant that flushed and flew to my immediate left I swung and fired. My dad who was standing to my left was about 3 ft from my discharge, I realized what I had done and kept apologizing over and over. He was the greatest father ever. Although he was really shaken He sat me down and said we both learned an important lesson today. No animal is worth harming another person especially someone you love. Before you ever pull the trigger again you must make certain that it is safe to fire in all directions. He never mentioned it again and we continued our hunt. To this day I have missed many an opportunity being overly cautious but I will never make that mistake again. It actually motivated me to become a hunter education instructor and you can bet this is one story I always Share.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 09/01/18 01:04 AM

A family member shot himself in the stomach while dragging his 12 gauge across the front seat, muzzle first. Stupid? Yes. That’s a mistake you’d only make once.

It was a 1953 Chevy truck with a seat spring poking thru.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 09/01/18 02:03 AM

Back when I was 14 my dad, uncle and I were hunting walking through the woods. While walking for a bit we had stopped to rest. I looked over at my uncle and he had the hammer cocked on the 12 gauge. I asked if I could de-[censored] the gun he gave it to me. I pointed the barrel in the air put the stock between my legs with thumb on the hammer I pulled the trigger. Thumb slipped off and bang, boy did that hurt my balls. Never took him hunting again. You just never know.

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 09/01/18 10:34 AM

Propensity - An inclination or natural tendency to behave in a particular way.

IMO, hunters have a propensity to carry their rifle or shotgun loaded or unloaded. Those who never want to miss a chance shot at any time might keep their gun loaded and stored in their vehicle for that very reason. Others might just forget to unload it after walking back to their vehicle from their deer stand. Then there are those like myself, who prefer to carry a firearm unloaded until they're in their stand and always unload it before leaving to remove any chance of an accidental discharge sometime later. They may have a few rounds left in the magazine that can be quickly chambered, but their propensity is to put safety ahead of their desire to kill something.

The average deer lease member might be surprised at how many loaded firearms are laying around camp at any given time.
Posted By: Rifleman1775

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 09/05/18 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Dalroo

Second, many years ago we were riding in friend's pickup on way back to camp. It was cold and there were three of us in the cab, I was in the middle, and another friend against the door with his gun laying muzzle down to the floor. Driver asked if it was unloaded and was told no, but safety was on, and to prove, he pulled trigger. Uh huh...no one was hurt, but my ears rang for a month. The bullet also traveled through floor of truck and blew out the front right side tire.

Something very similar happened to me. I was about 13 or 14 and riding with my Uncle in my other Uncle's new Blazer. The morning before, we had a nice buck run across a road in front of us, on my uncle's ranch. I was going to be ready for him the next morning, as if it was going to happen the exact same way. I had my barrel facing the floor as we were heading to our hunting spot. I had my hand on my rifle, and as ashamed as I am to admit, my finger resting inside the trigger guard. It gets worse....for whatever reason, I put pressure on the trigger, thinking it was on safety, and BOOM!!!!! .270 right through the floor into the right front tire. It was so loud that my uncle looked at me strangely and asked, "did one of those guns just go off?!" Never again have I carried a rifle with a round in the chamber, while in/on a vehicle of ANY type!
Posted By: Rifleman1775

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: - 09/05/18 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Reloder28
A family member shot himself in the stomach while dragging his 12 gauge across the front seat, muzzle first. Stupid? Yes. That’s a mistake you’d only make once.

It was a 1953 Chevy truck with a seat spring poking thru.

Did he survive? Exact same thing happened to a cousin of mine, years before I was born. My mom told me the story, and the cousin did not survive.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum