Forums46
Topics538,024
Posts9,731,956
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: I have a question about the value of protein feeding? [Re: tlk] #7147208 04/21/18 05:38 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Most of the sales of it are simply to make folks feel like they are doing something.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: I have a question about the value of protein feeding? [Re: tlk] #7147212 04/21/18 05:44 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
When a buck sheds his antlers and the new antlers start to grow immediately. Which enables him to grow larger antlers, the protein effect or the hopeful better physical condition of the body due to past protein in his feed?

Re: I have a question about the value of protein feeding? [Re: tlk] #7147246 04/21/18 06:43 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I actually think genetics is the the main factor in getting antler growth.Not being overstocked in Deer or any other animal that utilizes the same feed plays a big part. And letting a deer get to the age that the antlers are at their maximum growth. But everything has to work out just right all those years he needs to get to that age. Drought, sickness, injury etc. are going to play into if he will ever get to that point. Genetics. A deer will only produce the antlers his genes will let him produce. The best feed in the world can only do so much. He may in the best year of his life be a 120 inch deer no matter what he gets to eat. On the other hand a deer that has never tasted protein my be a 175 inch deer. Again I may be wrong but I believe AR's are going about it the wrong way if getting better antlers is what the goal is. You are shooting the best deer that should be kept for breeders. You are keeping narrow antlered deer for breeding. If you are in the cattle or say Ibex business like myself you use the best Bull or Billie for your breeders. You don't use some inferior bull or a Ibex with short horns because that is what your offspring will look like. AR's should be for a number of years flipped 180 degrees. Nothing over 13 inches wide should be legal. Shoot all the tight antlered bucks and let the wide ones do the breeding.

Last edited by don k; 04/21/18 06:44 PM.
Re: I have a question about the value of protein feeding? [Re: tlk] #7147302 04/21/18 07:56 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
adding protein is not going to turn your deer into monsters over night, or even over a season or maybe even the entire deer's life. Nutrition is a component to a deer. You have to make a decision if feeding deer is worth while based on your conditions/goals and your current set up. I do a 50/50 corn protein feed mix so my incremental cost over straight corn is not as bad. Also i have it on a timed release so i don't have one animal eat it all.

Re: I have a question about the value of protein feeding? [Re: don k] #7147343 04/21/18 09:40 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: don k
I actually think genetics is the the main factor in getting antler growth.Not being overstocked in Deer or any other animal that utilizes the same feed plays a big part. And letting a deer get to the age that the antlers are at their maximum growth. But everything has to work out just right all those years he needs to get to that age. Drought, sickness, injury etc. are going to play into if he will ever get to that point. Genetics. A deer will only produce the antlers his genes will let him produce. The best feed in the world can only do so much. He may in the best year of his life be a 120 inch deer no matter what he gets to eat. On the other hand a deer that has never tasted protein my be a 175 inch deer. Again I may be wrong but I believe AR's are going about it the wrong way if getting better antlers is what the goal is. You are shooting the best deer that should be kept for breeders. You are keeping narrow antlered deer for breeding. If you are in the cattle or say Ibex business like myself you use the best Bull or Billie for your breeders. You don't use some inferior bull or a Ibex with short horns because that is what your offspring will look like. AR's should be for a number of years flipped 180 degrees. Nothing over 13 inches wide should be legal. Shoot all the tight antlered bucks and let the wide ones do the breeding.

The use of protein fed sporadically to a free-roaming deer herd cannot be compared to feeding it to enclosed bucks in huge quantities. Two entirely different things.
Just like comparing genetic impacts/manipulation of captive animals to wild, free-roaming deer. LF wild deer population genetics are almost never changed in any macro way by hunting. Been hearing about the “narrow-rack” selection impacts of ARs for over a decade now. Haven’t seen it yet other than a few who anectdotally claim it (and were in a “narrow” gene pool area anyway). Going back to shooting 1 1/2- 2 1/2 years olds would not be a good idea.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: I have a question about the value of protein feeding? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7147369 04/21/18 10:20 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

The use of protein fed sporadically to a free-roaming deer herd cannot be compared to feeding it to enclosed bucks in huge quantities. Two entirely different things.
Just like comparing genetic impacts/manipulation of captive animals to wild, free-roaming deer. LF wild deer population genetics are almost never changed in any macro way by hunting. Been hearing about the “narrow-rack” selection impacts of ARs for over a decade now. Haven’t seen it yet other than a few who anectdotally claim it (and were in a “narrow” gene pool area anyway). Going back to shooting 1 1/2- 2 1/2 years olds would not be a good idea.
Yes but how many of those 1/2-2 year old are what you want to breed your herd with? I realize I know squat about much of anything. But I do have age and experience on a lot of things. Common sense tells you that breeding inferior animals over and over again will keep getting you the same result. Sometimes you need to bite the bullet and do what it takes to get a better end result in the future.

Re: I have a question about the value of protein feeding? [Re: tlk] #7147385 04/21/18 10:56 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I think I would agree with the genetics and do agree the free range bucks will not compare to bucks in a enclosed area. We like to take the largest buck with the best antler and thus we have eliminated a good breeder. What is a man to do? Cleric has a good idea in mixing protein and corn, I may try that.

Re: I have a question about the value of protein feeding? [Re: don k] #7147396 04/21/18 11:08 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Yes but how many of those 1/2-2 year old are what you want to breed your herd with? I realize I know squat about much of anything. But I do have age and experience on a lot of things. Common sense tells you that breeding inferior animals over and over again will keep getting you the same result. Sometimes you need to bite the bullet and do what it takes to get a better end result in the future.

You know a lot, obviously.

I just think HF enclosed and wild, free-roaming populations are two entirely different things.
A lot of folks are mimicking what controlled operations do, but largely to little avail.

Re: I have a question about the value of protein feeding? [Re: tlk] #7147412 04/21/18 11:24 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Intent of this post was not to start a pis*** match.

I will say we had a 175 inch 9 point some years back - he was a protein hog. In the pen 3-4 times a day. We had a very severe drought and he put on 26 inches and made the book at a 15 points with 201 inches the following year.

We are not HF but we are a very large LF ranch with little competition from other neighbors. Some of our bucks tend to hang at feeders more than others. On average though, very few of them consume feed for more than 5 minutes. Proven fact based off of our thousands of trail cam pics.

My original question and post was this - during drought protein seems to make a huge difference - during good, wet years then natural browse seems to be the king. Genetics and age to me are the starting points to grow really big LF deer - add into that a supplemental food source if the browse is not at its best - that makes sense.

My end conclusion is that although protein is a valuable part and contributes to the program it is not the leading factor in producing trophy deer (unless you have unlimited funds and can turn your LF ranch into a feed lot).

First and foremost you must be patient in letting your deer age - you need to be in an area that has some good genetics. You must be willing to manage the herd by keeping the number of deer per acre in check (kill does, cull inferior bucks). Then, if you do all that, the protein can do its magic

Last edited by tlk; 04/22/18 12:06 AM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: I have a question about the value of protein feeding? [Re: tlk] #7147516 04/22/18 12:34 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
You know better than me but I would agree with just about everything you just said. IMO it can help some in certain circumstances if all the stars align. Does it weigh out on the cost/benefit scale?

I guess that’s a personal decision.

The way most feed it I think it does not.

Re: I have a question about the value of protein feeding? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7147538 04/22/18 12:52 AM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
You know better than me but I would agree with just about everything you just said. IMO it can help some in certain circumstances if all the stars align. Does it weigh out on the cost/benefit scale?

You Sir are dead on - if you are on 100 acres in Hill country then protein truly is a waste of effort, time, and money - folks do not like hearing that but it is what it is

Also if you cannot afford to put out protein on a totally free choice basis then you are wasting your money and time

My philosophy is this - recognize where you are hunting and what the limits are - then do all you can to maximize what your ranch or lease will produce - if that is 120 or 200 inches - be proud of the process of producing the best that the area can produce - a trophy is a trophy based on that criteria

Last edited by tlk; 04/22/18 12:53 AM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: I have a question about the value of protein feeding? [Re: tlk] #7147630 04/22/18 02:18 AM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: tlk

You Sir are dead on - if you are on 100 acres in Hill country then protein truly is a waste of effort, time, and money - folks do not like hearing that but it is what it is

Also if you cannot afford to put out protein on a totally free choice basis then you are wasting your money and time

My philosophy is this - recognize where you are hunting and what the limits are - then do all you can to maximize what your ranch or lease will produce - if that is 120 or 200 inches - be proud of the process of producing the best that the area can produce - a trophy is a trophy based on that criteria
You are both in my opinion completely right. If you run the numbers on what it cost to feed most would be better off money wise to buy a deer or a hunt from someone else who feeds as opposed to doing it yourself. Probably get a larger deer for less money than doing it yourself. Let someone else take the loss. And like NP stated earlier it is mostly a feel good thing. Do it and don't add up what it is costing you for the results you get.

Re: I have a question about the value of protein feeding? [Re: tlk] #7147821 04/22/18 12:50 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
If you don't have the genetics to start with, feeding protein is a waste of money and time.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: I have a question about the value of protein feeding? [Re: tlk] #7147973 04/22/18 04:07 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
confused2 STXranchman yet ta give his 2cents.
scratch this thread if not mistaken, is about efects of suplemental feed (protein) playes on antler growth.
As many have posted genetics & age play a big roll.
Different type hunting were i grew up.
First, winters are harsh, & make it tougher on deer. They need the weight just to survive the winters. Rut plays big roll, buck-doe ratios, & health also.
Deer are natural browsers. When they loose their antlers, weight gain for a healthy deer is were most protein goes. Antler growth is secondary.
As pappy say's: " a deer servise on its health NOT antler growth. "
The 30+ years in texas hunting on small acre LF free ranging deer. Had the corn feeders, food plots 4 cams, located so could see deer movement, pics every minnute, mostly seen the does coming into the, feeding stations. Pics of the bucks were usualy hitting mineral blocks put out in the warmer, first stages of antler growth. Ta get a pic of a buck, after the velvet pretty much had ta move the cams, scrape & rub lines. Had thread bout, mock scrape, bucks were staying clear of feeders & food plots. Scurting the area's during rut. One of the first things noticed on first lease was on.
We tried getting a doe tag for acreage around house, we worked the fences, brush hoged, spent many hours out doors observing the wildlife. the eyes & ears, yet were told not enough deer.
Ya dont have ta have big bucks or use proper grammer ta be a conservation minded hunter.
The deer in area's have hunted, bucks are basicly basket racks native texas deer, & antler growth threw years, is little wider, tines tallee, with little more mass. Healthy deer is 1st priority.
bang i got cheap posts.
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: I have a question about the value of protein feeding? [Re: 1860.colt] #7147982 04/22/18 04:14 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: colt.45
confused2 STXranchman yet ta give his 2cents.
scratch this thread if not mistaken, is about efects of suplemental feed (protein) playes on antler growth.
As many have posted genetics & age play a big roll.
Different type hunting were i grew up.
First, winters are harsh, & make it tougher on deer. They need the weight just to survive the winters. Rut plays big roll, buck-doe ratios, & health also.
Deer are natural browsers. When they loose their antlers, weight gain for a healthy deer is were most protein goes. Antler growth is secondary.
As pappy say's: " a deer servise on its health NOT antler growth. "
The 30+ years in texas hunting on small acre LF free ranging deer. Had the corn feeders, food plots 4 cams, located so could see deer movement, pics every minnute, mostly seen the does coming into the, feeding stations. Pics of the bucks were usualy hitting mineral blocks put out in the warmer, first stages of antler growth. Ta get a pic of a buck, after the velvet pretty much had ta move the cams, scrape & rub lines. Had thread bout, mock scrape, bucks were staying clear of feeders & food plots. Scurting the area's during rut. One of the first things noticed on first lease was on.
We tried getting a doe tag for acreage around house, we worked the fences, brush hoged, spent many hours out doors observing the wildlife. the eyes & ears, yet were told not enough deer.
Ya dont have ta have big bucks or use proper grammer ta be a conservation minded hunter.
The deer in area's have hunted, bucks are basicly basket racks native texas deer, & antler growth threw years, is little wider, tines tallee, with little more mass. Healthy deer is 1st priority.
bang i got cheap posts.
flag

true statements - a deer's overall health is critical - that is why we start cottonseed along with our protein in January so our bucks can regain their weight loss post rut - since we added the cottonseed we have seen our body weights increase

You can't fix stupid
Re: I have a question about the value of protein feeding? [Re: tlk] #7148239 04/22/18 09:00 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
scratch noticed you mentioned you have large LF acrage.
Not trying ta stir the pot. Just my 2cents.
Tip me cowboyhat.
As pappy say's: FREE Range land benefits ALL hunters, upper, middle & lower class.
Area i hunted was buck only, small acrage, food plots & corn feeders away from fences. After 25+ years, not sure how many years it was buck only before 83, it finaly went ta 4 deer. confused2 Before then were told not enough deer for doe tags.
hammer now they got high-tech, trail cams & such, hunters no longer the eyes & ears.

flag

i'm postaddic
Re: I have a question about the value of protein feeding? [Re: 1860.colt] #7148494 04/23/18 01:03 AM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
all I know is that I get dizzy when I read your post - lol -

You can't fix stupid
Re: I have a question about the value of protein feeding? [Re: tlk] #7148535 04/23/18 01:42 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
It’s hard to get my deer on protein in east TX. They just have too much else to eat. I have had much better luck with corn and food plots - even though I quit using corn feeders a few years ago (still hand corn some).

I’m under no illusion anything I do is really affecting horn growth though - simply attracting them (at least some of them).

Re: I have a question about the value of protein feeding? [Re: tlk] #7148652 04/23/18 05:23 AM
C
cibolo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C

I will say we had a 175 inch 9 point some years back - he was a protein hog. In the pen 3-4 times a day. We had a very severe drought and he put on 26 inches and made the book at a 15 points with 201 inches the following year.

We are not HF but we are a very large LF ranch with little competition from other neighbors. Some of our bucks tend to hang at feeders more than others. On average though, very few of them consume feed for more than 5 minutes. Proven fact based off of our thousands of trail cam pics.

My original question and post was this - during drought protein seems to make a huge difference - during good, wet years then natural browse seems to be the king. Genetics and age to me are the starting points to grow really big LF deer - add into that a supplemental food source if the browse is not at its best - that makes sense.

My end conclusion is that although protein is a valuable part and contributes to the program it is not the leading factor in producing trophy deer (unless you have unlimited funds and can turn your LF ranch into a feed lot).

First and foremost you must be patient in letting your deer age - you need to be in an area that has some good genetics. You must be willing to manage the herd by keeping the number of deer per acre in check (kill does, cull inferior bucks). Then, if you do all that, the protein can do its magic

What is your thought on feeder location and pressure on certain protien feeder set ups. Like one as a sanctuary. On our place in Val Verde our 1,000 lb free range feeder is close to a fencline that has 100 acre tracts side by side. There is one of them that is owned by a member on here and he takes maybe 1 or 2 deer a year. The others shoot young deer and run around all the time. We originally put it there to draw deer or hold the one’s we can. Now I am thinking we would be better served putting it down in the center in the canyon that runs through our place.

"Error of Opinion may be tolerated where Reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson
"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Re: I have a question about the value of protein feeding? [Re: cibolo] #7149389 04/23/18 10:49 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: cibolo

What is your thought on feeder location and pressure on certain protien feeder set ups. Like one as a sanctuary. On our place in Val Verde our 1,000 lb free range feeder is close to a fencline that has 100 acre tracts side by side. There is one of them that is owned by a member on here and he takes maybe 1 or 2 deer a year. The others shoot young deer and run around all the time. We originally put it there to draw deer or hold the one’s we can. Now I am thinking we would be better served putting it down in the center in the canyon that runs through our place.

I would think a sanctuary feeder would be a good idea and that more towards the middle of your property would help draw in and keep deer on your property. You did not say how big your place is so that is a factor.

We do not shoot deer in our feed pens - most of them are not in sight of our stands. We also do not shoot deer within 300 yards of our ponds so that the deer can come to water with a feeling of safety.

You can't fix stupid
Re: I have a question about the value of protein feeding? [Re: tlk] #7149413 04/23/18 11:20 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Thus the beauty of having a large area to hunt.

Re: I have a question about the value of protein feeding? [Re: Wilhunt] #7149417 04/23/18 11:26 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
totally agree - size matters

You can't fix stupid
Re: I have a question about the value of protein feeding? [Re: tlk] #7149610 04/24/18 02:16 AM
C
cibolo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: cibolo

I would think a sanctuary feeder would be a good idea and that more towards the middle of your property would help draw in and keep deer on your property. You did not say how big your place is so that is a factor.

We do not shoot deer in our feed pens - most of them are not in sight of our stands. We also do not shoot deer within 300 yards of our ponds so that the deer can come to water with a feeling of safety.

500 acres but real large canyons make it feel like 1,000. One neighbor is 800+/- acres,another is 450+/-, 200+/-, then 4 that are 100 acre tracts and those are the one’s that have pressure. We piped water all over the place and built a tank that will hopefully take.

"Error of Opinion may be tolerated where Reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson
"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Re: I have a question about the value of protein feeding? [Re: tlk] #7149627 04/24/18 02:33 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
My thought is you want to draw deer into your place and keep them on your place - not to the outside edges of your place.

Guys have this idea that putting feeders/plots on fence lines are better for drawing deer from their neighbors. In reality, it just draws them where neighbors have a chance to hunt them too.

Re: I have a question about the value of protein feeding? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7149716 04/24/18 03:57 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
My thought is you want to draw deer into your place and keep them on your place - not to the outside edges of your place.

Guys have this idea that putting feeders/plots on fence lines are better for drawing deer from their neighbors. In reality, it just draws them where neighbors have a chance to hunt them too.

All of our feeders and food plots are as far away as possible from fences, our place has the most cover. It is their year round sanctuary, we don't feed year around. We start feeding in September, that saves the deer the trip to the neighbors that feed year around.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide