Forums46
Topics538,038
Posts9,732,241
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #6692040 03/02/17 01:09 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
I don't think I'd shoot a roadrunner, but there is no doubt they're hell on baby quail and horned toads
i recently caught a road runner in a coyote foothold trap. Yote got the bird before I found it.

All that was left was a leg and feathers

Last edited by SapperTitan; 03/02/17 01:10 AM.
Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: huntwest] #6692127 03/02/17 02:02 AM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: huntwest
Originally Posted By: Eland Slayer

I have a little different take. Regardless of the acreage if a person wants to high fence that person has to pay the state one time for every deer they fence out of the free range. If someone poaches a deer they get charged a fee for that deer, I think someone that high fences should have to pay the same fee. The landowner would be responsible for doing a fly over survey after the fence is up and would be billed for the animals he has entrapped. After that I think eland slayers idea is fine. But only AFTER the person high fencing the ranch buys the deer.
Although I am definitely not pro poacher I find it ironic that if I shoot a deer off someones property I am fined and have to pay a fee for the deer yet someone can put up a high fence and get all he can trap for free. And it is BS that high fences don't trap deer. They do it one time for sure.

I understand where you're coming from....but I will respectfully have to disagree. Just because the fence is taller, it does not mean the high fenced ranch is keeping any more of those deer away from their neighbors than a low fenced ranch....it just happens to be the same deer all the time instead of an ever-changing population of deer that are roaming from property to property.

To put it another way, if that ranch was low fenced instead of high fenced, you still would not have the ability to hunt those deer that live on the low fenced ranch....yet nobody is asking for the low fenced rancher to pay for any deer.

Sounds just like a high fence arguement. You say it doesn't change the numbers but it does your arguement doesn't hold water. I can't even respectfully disagree with you on your point as it doesn't even make sense. If you have a high fence ranch it alters the natural ebb and flow of the deer herd. You also want complete ownership of the animals but don't want to pay for them because they could escape. Well anybody that owns cattle can say the same thing. And a high fence if kept up will keep 99% of the deer in so your disagreement doesn't hold water.
If you or anyone else are going to capture one single native whitetail that cannot free range it is now not available to other hunters period. See I don't have any problem with high fences or how you treat your land, my problem is the free deer.
Then after you get those deer you ask for and many times receive permits to kill the fire out of them to bet YOUR deer herd numbers balanced. So basically the HF has created too small of an environment and have to kill more than the county limit to keep from over crowding. This is especially true on the Up to about 1000 acre places.

I'm not really sure why you don't seem to understand. Let's try putting it another way....

Let's just say that a given area of the state has an average deer density of approximately 1 deer per 10 acres. Let's also say that there is a 1,000 acre low fenced ranch in this area. Based on the average deer density, there are approximately 100 deer on this property at any given time. The deer which are on the 1,000 acre property are not available to be hunted/killed/watched/etc by the neighboring landowners.

Now let's say that same 1,000 acre ranch erects a high fence around those 100 deer. Nothing has changed on the neighboring properties....their deer densities are still the same, the quality of their hunting is still the same. It is simple logic. I'm not saying you have to agree with the concept, but the numbers do not lie.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: PKnTX] #6692139 03/02/17 02:13 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: PKnTX
If I'm not mistaken the cost of wild game is often
figured by the state when restitution is needed.

And population surveys are done all the time.

I like this idea more and more.

Aerial counts are often only 30-40% of the herd.

So would you be ok with them only paying for 30% of the herd?

Also, how you gonna figured out the score for male deer?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: Txhunter65] #6692155 03/02/17 02:23 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Txhunter65
Well this isn't a game law but how about we change the law that allows politicians to use $ generated by sportsman in the general fund instead of it being used for the betterment of fish and wildlife in this state.

up

To be determined
Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: BenBob] #6692256 03/02/17 03:13 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Eland your arguement is BS. But you miss my point. It doesnt matter if the deer on the ranch you high fence never leave it, they could and are considered the states and therefore the public deer. When you high fence them in they are no longer the public deer and you should pay for them.
I'll assure you if I could get enough people behind this I would pursue it. It is a double standard that the state has.
And double standard for people with your belief that you should own the deer. Name one other thing you think you should own that you don't have to pay for!

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: huntwest] #6692294 03/02/17 03:33 AM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Eland your arguement is BS. But you miss my point. It doesnt matter if the deer on the ranch you high fence never leave it, they could and are considered the states and therefore the public deer. When you high fence them in they are no longer the public deer and you should pay for them.
I'll assure you if I could get enough people behind this I would pursue it. It is a double standard that the state has.
And double standard for people with your belief that you should own the deer. Name one other thing you think you should own that you don't have to pay for!

Like I said....we will agree to disagree. Obviously you are having a difficult time understanding simple logic.

I can tell you are quite emotional about the topic....and I think that is probably clouding your thinking.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: txtrophy85] #6692428 03/02/17 12:17 PM
P
PKnTX Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: PKnTX
If I'm not mistaken the cost of wild game is often
figured by the state when restitution is needed.

And population surveys are done all the time.

I like this idea more and more.

Aerial counts are often only 30-40% of the herd.

So would you be ok with them only paying for 30% of the herd?

Also, how you gonna figured out the score for male deer?

I'm an optimist so I think they should add 70%.

And I've never cared for antler score so have no opinion there.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: Eland Slayer] #6692478 03/02/17 01:35 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
[quote=huntwest][quote=Stub][quote=Eland Slayer]

I understand where you're coming from....but I will respectfully have to disagree. Just because the fence is taller, it does not mean the high fenced ranch is keeping any more of those deer away from their neighbors than a low fenced ranch....it just happens to be the same deer all the time instead of an ever-changing population of deer that are roaming from property to property.

To put it another way, if that ranch was low fenced instead of high fenced, you still would not have the ability to hunt those deer that live on the low fenced ranch....yet nobody is asking for the low fenced rancher to pay for any deer.

Again I have nothing against HF. I do not understand your logic though on the above comments scratch

1. If the ranch is HF it is certainly keeping more if not all of those deer away from neighboring properties.
2. If that HF ranch was LF you might be able to hunt those deer because they have the ability to cross over onto your property.

texas flag

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: BenBob] #6692483 03/02/17 01:39 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
The law should read "rights of parties in possession". If the deer is on your land at time of capture be it with a weapon, net, fence, etc then it's your deer.

The herd can be manged as a public resource with private ownership. The deer that are living in elands property are no more mine than the guy driving the ice cream truck

It's different in western states where you have herd migrations over long distances. Most deer in Texas live their whole lives in a few section area

I'm not pro or anti high fence but when people complain about a fence going up and capturing "their " deer and talk about having to pay the state restitution is reduculous

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: Stub] #6692490 03/02/17 01:45 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Stub

Again I have nothing against HF. I do not understand your logic though on the above comments scratch

1. If the ranch is HF it is certainly keeping more if not all of those deer away from neighboring properties.
2. If that HF ranch was LF you might be able to hunt those deer because they have the ability to cross over onto your property.

There is no logic to those comments. Period. The HF keeps deer in as well as out. It stops deer movement/access cold (both ways). The HF is there for a reason. It is totally nonsensical to act as if it affects nothing.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6692504 03/02/17 01:58 PM
A
Aggieman775 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

There is no logic to those comments. Period. The HF keeps deer in as well as out. It stops deer movement/access cold (both ways). The HF is there for a reason. It is totally nonsensical to act as if it affects nothing.

I agree. Just think about the rut. When the does are getting chased and bucks are looking on a LF the deer are going all over the map in that area. Your property, my property even that guys property a couple miles down the road. When it's a HF where in the world are they going to go? They get to a fence and a doe hauling butt from a buck is just going to turn a corner and run the other way because the fence is an obstacle preventing those deer from coming on my property.

Last edited by Aggieman775; 03/02/17 02:59 PM.

TSmith
Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: Stub] #6692509 03/02/17 02:02 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E

Yes, the high fence is keeping those PARTICULAR DEER away from the neighboring properties. That's not the point. The point is....whichever deer are on a low fenced ranch are unavailable to be hunted by the neighbors at any given time.

Let me try putting this one more way and then I'm done trying to reason....

Let's say you have a closed system of 100,000 acres (let's just call it an island for the sake of argument so we don't have to deal with another fence in the scenario. haha). On this island, there is a deer density of 1 deer per 10 acres. That means there are 10,000 deer on the island. Let's also say that in the center of this island, there is a 1,000 acre low fenced ranch. At any given time, there are going to be an average of 100 deer on this LOW FENCED property. Yes, these deer come and go and there are different groups of deer that can be there....but for the sake of this argument, there are ALWAYS 100 deer on this property. These deer are NOT AVAILABLE to be hunted by the neighboring landowners.

Now let's say that 1,000 acre ranch decides to put up a high fence. At the time the fence goes up, there are 100 deer on this ranch. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE between the ranch being low fenced and high fenced is this:

- On the low fenced ranch, the group of 100 deer that CANNOT BE HUNTED BY THE NEIGHBORS is always changing because of the deer coming and going across the boundary.

- On the high fenced ranch, the group of 100 deer that CANNOT BE HUNTED BY THE NEIGHBORS is always the same, because they are confined to the property.

In other words, nothing changed outside the fence. The remaining 99,000 acres of the island still have the same deer density of 1 deer per 10 acres. Nobody outside the fence will notice any difference in the quality of their hunting....UNLESS....they were one of the small landowners mooching off the efforts of the 1,000 acre neighbor, shooting whichever unfortunate deer that stepped across the fence onto their property.

If you don't like it, just say you don't like it....I can respect that. But don't sit here and try to tell me that my scenario "doesn't hold water" or "doesn't make sense" or "is BS" because it is simple math and logic. My guess is that if someone still resists this idea....then they either have a hard time with logic.....or they are whining because they are the little guy next to the big guy, shooting WAY more deer than they should be, and don't want their golden goose taken away. In which case I say.....get over it!!

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: BenBob] #6692512 03/02/17 02:04 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I would have liked to have all WT off my property when it was HFed. But that was not possible unless all the WT in a 5 mile radius of here were exterminated at the time of the fencing. It is not my fault that some were destined to have to be thought of as the dreaded "HF Deer". But the name calling must not be that bad in the WT community as they keep jumping in to get out of the LF land.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: huntwest] #6692524 03/02/17 02:18 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
[quote=Stub][quote=Eland Slayer]
I have a little different take. Regardless of the acreage if a person wants to high fence that person has to pay the state one time for every deer they fence out of the free range. If someone poaches a deer they get charged a fee for that deer, I think someone that high fences should have to pay the same fee. The landowner would be responsible for doing a fly over survey after the fence is up and would be billed for the animals he has entrapped. After that I think eland slayers idea is fine. But only AFTER the person high fencing the ranch buys the deer.
Although I am definitely not pro poacher I find it ironic that if I shoot a deer off someones property I am fined and have to pay a fee for the deer yet someone can put up a high fence and get all he can trap for free. And it is BS that high fences don't trap deer. They do it one time for sure.

Slippery slope with wanting to charge a one time fee for deer trapped on a HF, that would open Pandora's Box.
First you would have to estimate the amount of trapped deer, you would have to know the estimated deer density for that area. Example lets say 10 deer per 100 acres. 1,000 acres theoretically would have 100 deer. Minus the % of deer spooked off the property while erecting the HF lets say 40%. So using this example the estimated deer captured would be 60 on a 1,000 HF property.

Here is the other side of that coin, what if the state says okay since we are charging HF landowners a one time fee for the estimated amount of deer on their property, we should also charge LF a one time fee scratch

Last edited by Stub; 03/02/17 02:19 PM.

texas flag

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: huntwest] #6692564 03/02/17 02:55 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
The regulation (or set of regulations rather) I would change would be to implement a system whereby...when a piece of land (regardless of size) is high fenced, all of the animals within the confines of that fence (regardless of whether they are native or non-native) become the property of the landowner to do with as he wishes (with the exception of endangered/protected species). This should also include the ability to trap/sell/hunt/cull/shoot whatever game species are on the property (including Whitetail Deer) without any regulations whatsoever (no seasons, no bag limits, no restrictions). Let the landowner decide how to best manage his property/herd. Much of southern Africa operates this way, and they have thriving herds of native game managed this way.

I know this will not be popular with many of you, but so be it....it is my opinion. Carry on duel

I have nothing against high fence, have hunted behind two of them!

But why would you give such blatant powers to High Fence only?
I get it that theoretically nothing should come in or out of a HF, so if they shoot everything up their tough chit or they can buy more animals. What if they do not have that kind of money anymore? Lower the fence to let the free range game in for now then raise fence and shoot them up?

Quite a while back my X brother in law who has a HF place bought a bunch of free range doe from the nail ranch that were netted by helicopter. So what's to stop a rich person behind a HF from shooting all of his and continue to buy captured free range deer and deplete the supply of those free range deer in any given area?

I am talking only native (indigenous) game animals like White tail deer, dove ,quail etc.
Exotics, hogs, yotes etc. shoot all you want whenever wherever up

I own 2 high fenced ranches and one low fenced ranch and I wholeheartedly agree with you that I should pay for the states deer in exchange for calling all the deer on my place MY deer and being granted ownership of those deer.

However, you are being less creative than you need to be. There are many ways to skin any cat. For example:

First, I don't WANT any of the states native deer on one of my high fenced ranches. I should be able to remedy this any number of ways.

1. Why can't I lease it to hunters who pay both me AND the state to hunt (with the specific purpose of eradicating the states vermin from my property)? I have skin in the game because the states deer are eating the resources I own. 50:50 split until all native deer are gone or mostly gone?

2. I could either leave a side down or lower a side and chopper and bait animals onto the neighbors place (if the neighbor is willing). I think the state should share in this cost since their deer are tresspassing on and consuming my surface resources.

3. Let the state put my place on their public hunting program for a year. One season and call it good.

NP is again (as usual) FOS about how the state views aerial surveys. In order to establish harvest rates they assume you see 100% of the deer from the air. We all know that's bogus but the state isn't operating with a full deck.

So, the last option would be run a survey from a state approved chopper service and pay the state HALF the value of the deer. Remember, those stinking state owned vermin are eating my resources. That needs to be fairly compensated.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: BenBob] #6692586 03/02/17 03:05 PM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I would like the possibility of an AR cull tag. I would be willing to spend a little more per tag or be able to purchase separate on top of the regular license.

This tag would allow you to take a typically illegal deer. At my current lease we have atleast 3 bucks that are old old and nothing can be done.

I feel this would be both a win for the hunter/manager trying to improve the gene pool and a win for the state.

Last edited by Brother in-law; 03/02/17 11:56 PM.
Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: Brother in-law] #6692593 03/02/17 03:11 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
I would like the possibility of an AR cull tag. I would be will I'm to spend a little more per tag or be ab,e to purchase separate on top of the regular license.

This tag would allow you to take a typically illegal deer. At my current lease we have atleast 3 bucks that are old old and nothing can be done.

Excellent idea.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: Brother in-law] #6692596 03/02/17 03:11 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
I would like the possibility of an AR cull tag. I would be will I'm to spend a little more per tag or be ab,e to purchase separate on top of the regular license.

And/or remove AR restrictions for youth hunting. Better yet give a week each year where AR's don't apply so that bucks like you are describing can be shot.

Last edited by rexmitchell; 03/02/17 03:12 PM.
Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: Eland Slayer] #6692614 03/02/17 03:29 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Yes, the high fence is keeping those PARTICULAR DEER away from the neighboring properties. That's not the point. The point is....whichever deer are on a low fenced ranch are unavailable to be hunted by the neighbors at any given time.

Let's say you have a closed system of 100,000 acres (let's just call it an island for the sake of argument so we don't have to deal with another fence in the scenario. haha). On this island, there is a deer density of 1 deer per 10 acres. That means there are 10,000 deer on the island. Let's also say that in the center of this island, there is a 1,000 acre low fenced ranch. At any given time, there are going to be an average of 100 deer on this LOW FENCED property. Yes, these deer come and go and there are different groups of deer that can be there....but for the sake of this argument, there are ALWAYS 100 deer on this property. These deer are NOT AVAILABLE to be hunted by the neighboring landowners.

Now let's say that 1,000 acre ranch decides to put up a high fence. At the time the fence goes up, there are 100 deer on this ranch. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE between the ranch being low fenced and high fenced is this:

- On the low fenced ranch, the group of 100 deer that CANNOT BE HUNTED BY THE NEIGHBORS is always changing because of the deer coming and going across the boundary.

- On the high fenced ranch, the group of 100 deer that CANNOT BE HUNTED BY THE NEIGHBORS is always the same, because they are confined to the property.

In other words, nothing changed outside the fence. The remaining 99,000 acres of the island still have the same deer density of 1 deer per 10 acres. Nobody outside the fence will notice any difference in the quality of their hunting....UNLESS....they were one of the small landowners mooching off the efforts of the 1,000 acre neighbor, shooting whichever unfortunate deer that stepped across the fence onto their property.

If you don't like it, just say you don't like it....I can respect that. But don't sit here and try to tell me that my scenario "doesn't hold water" or "doesn't make sense" or "is BS" because it is simple math and logic. My guess is that if someone still resists this idea....then they either have a hard time with logic.....or they are whining because they are the little guy next to the big guy, shooting WAY more deer than they should be, and don't want their golden goose taken away. In which case I say.....get over it!!

I applaud the effort, man you are trying hard, but it doesn't change the fact that it's still BS.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: therancher] #6692626 03/02/17 03:37 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: therancher

Excellent idea.

Winner up

texas flag

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: jshouse] #6692634 03/02/17 03:42 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: jshouse

I applaud the effort, man you are trying hard, but it doesn't change the fact that it's still BS.

Well I'm sorry that very simple math and logic seems to be completely lost on you.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: therancher] #6692635 03/02/17 03:42 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: therancher
The regulation (or set of regulations rather) I would change would be to implement a system whereby...when a piece of land (regardless of size) is high fenced, all of the animals within the confines of that fence (regardless of whether they are native or non-native) become the property of the landowner to do with as he wishes (with the exception of endangered/protected species). This should also include the ability to trap/sell/hunt/cull/shoot whatever game species are on the property (including Whitetail Deer) without any regulations whatsoever (no seasons, no bag limits, no restrictions). Let the landowner decide how to best manage his property/herd. Much of southern Africa operates this way, and they have thriving herds of native game managed this way.

I know this will not be popular with many of you, but so be it....it is my opinion. Carry on duel

I have nothing against high fence, have hunted behind two of them!

But why would you give such blatant powers to High Fence only?
I get it that theoretically nothing should come in or out of a HF, so if they shoot everything up their tough chit or they can buy more animals. What if they do not have that kind of money anymore? Lower the fence to let the free range game in for now then raise fence and shoot them up?

Quite a while back my X brother in law who has a HF place bought a bunch of free range doe from the nail ranch that were netted by helicopter. So what's to stop a rich person behind a HF from shooting all of his and continue to buy captured free range deer and deplete the supply of those free range deer in any given area?

I am talking only native (indigenous) game animals like White tail deer, dove ,quail etc.
Exotics, hogs, yotes etc. shoot all you want whenever wherever up

I own 2 high fenced ranches and one low fenced ranch and I wholeheartedly agree with you that I should pay for the states deer in exchange for calling all the deer on my place MY deer and being granted ownership of those deer.

However, you are being less creative than you need to be. There are many ways to skin any cat. For example:

First, I don't WANT any of the states native deer on one of my high fenced ranches. I should be able to remedy this any number of ways.

1. Why can't I lease it to hunters who pay both me AND the state to hunt (with the specific purpose of eradicating the states vermin from my property)? I have skin in the game because the states deer are eating the resources I own. 50:50 split until all native deer are gone or mostly gone?

2. I could either leave a side down or lower a side and chopper and bait animals onto the neighbors place (if the neighbor is willing). I think the state should share in this cost since their deer are tresspassing on and consuming my surface resources.

3. Let the state put my place on their public hunting program for a year. One season and call it good.

NP is again (as usual) FOS about how the state views aerial surveys. In order to establish harvest rates they assume you see 100% of the deer from the air. We all know that's bogus but the state isn't operating with a full deck.

So, the last option would be run a survey from a state approved chopper service and pay the state HALF the value of the deer. Remember, those stinking state owned vermin are eating my resources. That needs to be fairly compensated.

I haven't said anything about aerial surveys one way or the other,sir.

Problem with the whole dang discussion is HF folks want to talk/act like they "own" wild animals. When they don't. (TP&W Code Chapter 11). Without HFs, they come and they go as they please - which is kinda what wild animals do. hammer

But the HFs, for all practical purposes, grant folks 'ownership'. So its no wonder they talk like that these days.

It's just sad to hear deer talked about as if they are livestock.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6692661 03/02/17 03:58 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
"I haven't said anything about aerial surveys one way or the other,sir. "

My apologies NP. I got your post confused with one of tt85's. Honest and easy to make mistake...

grin

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: Texas Dan] #6692692 03/02/17 04:18 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
I really can't believe all of the whining over someone putting a feeder on a fence line. It's just a deer.

No one owns all the fish in a public lake, but that doesn't make it ethical to throw you hook right next to another fisherman's line.

My snowflake detector is buzzing. For the sake of argument, lets play devils advocate for a moment.

So, someone owns a bunch of acreage, and that's supposed to entitle them to controlling how adjacent landowners use their property? It's bad enough when a HOA dictates the types of trees, bushes and flowers you can grow in your yard. A yard the property owner owns (....more like "right to use". Plant the wrong bushes, let your grass grow too high, or fail to pay property taxes and see what happens)

If I remember correctly, except for narrowly defined exceptions, wildlife is considered a public resource, a resource that can cross property boundaries as it pleases. If a sense of entitlement to wildlife on the property is manifested due to owning the land and feeding the wildlife residing or transitting the property, it's misplaced.

Getting upset when the landowner of an adjacent, postage stamp sized property puts up a feeder doing basically the same thing (on a smaller scale) when they have the legal right to do so, on property they own, is analogous to what I'm hearing from intolerant snowflakes who want to enforce their will upon others. They want to enforce their opinion or perspective on someone that they disagree with, at the expense of that parties legal rights, deflecting attention from the real meat of an issue by making noise that ignores facts. The fact being if you own an acre in a rural area next to a large ranch that feeds deer, you can do as you please on your land, within reason (and legal boundaries). Unfortunately, the ability to rationalize issues without resorting to emotion at the expense reason, or using hyperbole or obtuse analogies to deflect the inherent silliness of their position in an argument, seems to be happening more and more in today's political and politically correct climate.

I'm curious, what does fishing near another fisherman on a public lake have to do with putting a feeder on your own property, near the fence line of larger adjacent property? I've fished elbow to elbow on public water and no one's gotten pissy about it. And I've put feeders up on my side of fence boundaries and the adjacent property owners were fine with it.

Re: If You Could Change One Game Law, What Would It Be and Why [Re: BenBob] #6692703 03/02/17 04:28 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: jshouse
[quote=Eland Slayer][quote=huntwest][quote=Stub]

Well I'm sorry that very simple math and logic seems to be completely lost on you.

oh no, I get what you are going for, you explained it 3 times and my reading comprehension is known to be strong to quite strong. its just a simplistic argument. using your numbers you could argue that a deer on my 10 acre property is unavailable to the neighbors as long as its on my property, as are the 2 deer on my neighbors 20 acres, and so on. we get it.

but deer move, PARTICULAR deer move, and although most aren't willing to admit it, antlered bucks are what drive this whole argument and they move the most. you see threads every year, "when is the rut in XYZ county, "looks like the rut is on in XYZ county," and so on, every hunter looks forward to the rut, I remember hearing my uncles talk about the "rut" 30 years ago when I started hunting...why is the rut is so important to us?

because we all hope to catch that buck cruising for does, and we all look forward to "never knowing what is going to step out during the rut." someone said it earlier talking about mule deer, so many more good bucks would hit the ground if the season was during the rut. why? because they are moving. a HF restricts that. period.

Last edited by jshouse; 03/02/17 04:32 PM.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide