Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: Tye] #924424 09/24/09 12:10 PM
Q
Quailhunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Q
It's not just about the score. Do I enjoy sending in my forms to P&Y to have my deer in "the book" every year? Sure. Who wouldn't take pride in that. I also take pride in the fact that every animal I have taken has been free range and fair chase. To assume that the evolution of every hunter would lead to the holy grail of high fence hunting is both asinine and arrogant. I have worked hard in my life and I am a very blessed individual. I could write a check and go hunt at any commercial hunting operation in Texas. I could pay to shoot a 200" deer. Why don't I do it? Because I have accompanied friends and clients on whitetail hunts on 6 different high fence ranches in Texas and they were all "canned" in my book. Were the animals running free (within the confines of a high fence of course) absolutely. None of those guys walked into a pen to shoot their deer. But driving around on those ranches was like driving through a zoo.

I am by no means trying to tell someone that they can't go or shouldn't go hunt on a high fence place. If you have the opportunity and it is something you want to do then go for it. Hunting a high fence place is like going on a safari to South Africa. "You want a Kudu? Well let's head over to this "pasture" and see what we find..." That pasture just happens to be the high fence area where they keep the Kudu locked up. That is why I will hunt just about anywhere in Africa but will not hunt South Africa. Too canned. For someone who wants to make one trip to Africa and put alot of stuff on the wall then go to South Africa. It's like shopping to furnish your house. Same thing on a high fence place. If it is a virtual guarantee then it is shooting.....not hunting. And yes, that goes for the low fence places with "wind-up" deer as someone so eloquently put it.

As stated previously, do whatever you like as long as it is legal. I could not care less. Just don't act like you are Cameron Haynes because you have a 350" elk or a 170" whitetail on the wall that you shot on a high fence place. It's not the same as taking one fair chase and every last person in this discussion knows it.

Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: Quailhunter] #924437 09/24/09 12:18 PM
Q
Quailhunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Q
One last thing.....

I have a rhetorical question for all of you folks who are big high fence proponents. If you had the opportunity at the same exact 175" buck on a high fence place or a low fence, free range place, which would you choose to hunt? Now ask yourself why.

Notice it is a rhetorical question. No need to answer on the board. Just be honest with yourself on your answer.

Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: Quailhunter] #924519 09/24/09 01:24 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Quailhunter
It's not just about the score. Do I enjoy sending in my forms to P&Y to have my deer in "the book" every year? Sure. Who wouldn't take pride in that. I also take pride in the fact that every animal I have taken has been free range and fair chase. To assume that the evolution of every hunter would lead to the holy grail of high fence hunting is both asinine and arrogant. I have worked hard in my life and I am a very blessed individual. I could write a check and go hunt at any commercial hunting operation in Texas. I could pay to shoot a 200" deer. Why don't I do it? Because I have accompanied friends and clients on whitetail hunts on 6 different high fence ranches in Texas and they were all "canned" in my book. Were the animals running free (within the confines of a high fence of course) absolutely. None of those guys walked into a pen to shoot their deer. But driving around on those ranches was like driving through a zoo.

I am by no means trying to tell someone that they can't go or shouldn't go hunt on a high fence place. If you have the opportunity and it is something you want to do then go for it. Hunting a high fence place is like going on a safari to South Africa. "You want a Kudu? Well let's head over to this "pasture" and see what we find..." That pasture just happens to be the high fence area where they keep the Kudu locked up. That is why I will hunt just about anywhere in Africa but will not hunt South Africa. Too canned. For someone who wants to make one trip to Africa and put alot of stuff on the wall then go to South Africa. It's like shopping to furnish your house. Same thing on a high fence place. If it is a virtual guarantee then it is shooting.....not hunting. And yes, that goes for the low fence places with "wind-up" deer as someone so eloquently put it.

As stated previously, do whatever you like as long as it is legal. I could not care less. Just don't act like you are Cameron Haynes because you have a 350" elk or a 170" whitetail on the wall that you shot on a high fence place. It's not the same as taking one fair chase and every last person in this discussion knows it.

All the things you say about HF ranches above can be said about some LF ranches. The fence is just one variable, not the only one. I've been on LF ranches where the deer are as tame as cattle, and one can pick out the deer he wants in the same way that you describe. Also been on HF ranches where I hunted hard for a week and never saw a buck.

Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: Tye] #924543 09/24/09 01:38 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Quailhunter - I have a buddy with 5000 acres of high-fenced South Texas land that hunted the same deer for 4 years and never saw him on the hoof. Up there almost every weekend, got him on game camera, but that rascal was slippery when it came to showing his face during shooting hours.

There are also some bucks at his place that show up religiously every time the feeder goes off and are easy kills. But that occurs on LF places too.

If the ranch is big enough, there's really not much difference if the numbers are controlled.

"Congrats....you can pull a trigger" is a huge exaggeration.

Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: Quailhunter] #924553 09/24/09 01:46 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
One last thing.....

I have a rhetorical question for all of you folks who are big high fence proponents. If you had the opportunity at the same exact 175" buck on a high fence place or a low fence, free range place, which would you choose to hunt? Now ask yourself why.

Notice it is a rhetorical question. No need to answer on the board. Just be honest with yourself on your answer.

The same can be said about using an outfitter on public land. I was lucky enough to draw a Mule Deer tag in Nevada this year. It only took 10 years to do it and $1000 in license fees over the 10 years. The outfitter guided hunters to 2 mulies last year that scored 202 and 206" in the units I drew. I'm using a outfitter to increase the odds of success.

Would you feel the same about a hunt on LF property using an outfitter vs. a do-it-yourself hunt? I personally could care less. Its about the hunt and the experience.

To answer your question, it wouldn't matter to me. Where I hunt, your LUCKY if there is a 140" deer let alone a 175". Some people,such as yourself-as you stated, have money to go on hunts. If they chose to buy a guided hunt vs. having a lease, its their choice. Some people don't have time to hunt every weekend. Besides, why would you compare what one man has on the wall to what you have? Who cares!!!!! The size of the animal doesn't dictate how good the hunter is. How many stories have you seen where a guy goes out for the first time and kills a monster. Does that make him a better hunter than someone who has been hunting for 30 years?

Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos
If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: Tye] #924789 09/24/09 04:11 PM
K
kenmorrow Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
Geronimo used to chase rabbits down on horseback and hit them with his war hammer to kill them. They stalked deer in the desert on foot and shot them with short recurve bows at close range. They had to do this enough to EAT. Never once in all of his personal accounts did he mention the size of the antlers on a deer. But the only thing he said he loved more than hunting game was hunting men...because of the challenge.

Now there was a hunter!

Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: JJH] #924797 09/24/09 04:14 PM
S
SouthTexasGoldenTriangle Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
My opinion on a high fence is that they are great. I just high fenced mine 2 years ago not much of a difference from low fence as far as the hunt goes with the exception that you have the piece of mind that those monster bucks are there and should stay there and they have a better chance at reaching an old age which usually means larger antlers. Those mature bucks are gonna stay in the brush execept maybe during the rut but they do the same on a low fence ranch. One reason why we highfenced our ranch was because a hunter on our neighboring ranch shot a nice 160+, 3.5 yo buck. what a waste and they didn't recover it. when we were low fence we would protein feed year round but come during the rut those young nice bucks were too tempting to other hunters. ya thats part of hunting but we didn't want to see young nice deer wasted like that. so pretty much we would feed them and other hunters would shoot them. plus on a high fence its nice to chronicle a bucks life from year to year. of course you can do that with low fence if you have a ton of acreage or disiplined hunters surrounding you.

Last edited by SouthTexasGoldenTriangle; 09/24/09 04:47 PM.
Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: SouthTexasGoldenTriangle] #925175 09/24/09 06:47 PM
G
GSS Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: SouthTexasGoldenTriangle
My opinion on a high fence is that they are great. I just high fenced mine 2 years ago not much of a difference from low fence as far as the hunt goes with the exception that you have the piece of mind that those monster bucks are there and should stay there and they have a better chance at reaching an old age which usually means larger antlers. Those mature bucks are gonna stay in the brush execept maybe during the rut but they do the same on a low fence ranch. One reason why we highfenced our ranch was because a hunter on our neighboring ranch shot a nice 160+, 3.5 yo buck. what a waste and they didn't recover it. when we were low fence we would protein feed year round but come during the rut those young nice bucks were too tempting to other hunters. ya thats part of hunting but we didn't want to see young nice deer wasted like that. so pretty much we would feed them and other hunters would shoot them. plus on a high fence its nice to chronicle a bucks life from year to year. of course you can do that with low fence if you have a ton of acreage or disiplined hunters surrounding you.

What's the going rate on high-fencing a place (cost per ft or mile)? What is considered "typical" in height?
I groan just paying for a 6-strand barb-wired fence...but most of the groaning is just me after planting corner posts.

NRA Life
TSRA Life
Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: GSS] #925432 09/24/09 08:24 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I think is going for around $4.25/foot which equals $22,440 a mile. It all depends on topography,creeks and rock.

If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: Quailhunter] #925455 09/24/09 08:32 PM
A
AmoCuernos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Do what you want as long as it's legal. I just can't stomach the folks who act like they are great hunters because they can go behind a high fence and shoot a big deer. Congrats........you can pull a trigger!

You act like killing a deer is hard...

Not really. I grew up hunting with a rifle. When it lost any challenge I switched to a bow and haven't picked up a rifle since. When getting a decent deer with a bow didn't seem like much of a challenge I started picking out one mature deer and hunted and patterned that one animal until I got him. I don't know if that will become "easy" or not. So to answer your statement, killing a deer isn't hard. I'm just not looking for the easiest way to kill the biggest buck.

You do realize that the larger the deer you are hunting the harder it is... because the numbers you have to choose from get hyperbolicly lower with every inch bigger?

Your arguments really don't make much sense... you call HF a zoo... you are talking about density...

You say that harvest is too easy... you are talking about method...

You ask which you would be prouder of a 175 in HF or low...

Let me ask you this... if you are guided to a 175 HF or guided to one low fence... what have you done differently?

If you are self guided... and killed that 175 the first time you saw him... are you prouder than if you saw him as a 2 year old and had the patience to watch him grow for 5 more years in to that deer?

Who learns more? Who's better? Who's prouder? What's your preference... Don't tell me that the person who saw that deer once when he was 6 and got a shot off is a better hunter than the person who saw that deer 85 times in the same type setting over the course of 5 years and waited...

What about hunting with a camera for 5 years and then taking a rifle? Is a deer tame because he is passed up? Did your bullet save that 175 you shot from being a "tame" deer... he wsan't seen twice...

Is the deer all of a sudden less of a trophy because he is known?

Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: Tye] #925462 09/24/09 08:37 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Tye
I think is going for around $4.25/foot which equals $22,440 a mile. It all depends on topography,creeks and rock.

That's a pretty close estimate. A ranch manager at a place we just got back from a few weeks ago was telling me their cost was around $4.40 a foot. That was not including water crossing and custom entrance gate.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: Curtis] #925466 09/24/09 08:39 PM
A
AmoCuernos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Curtis

That's a pretty close estimate. A ranch manager at a place we just got back from a few weeks ago was telling me their cost was around $4.40 a foot. That was not including water crossing and custom entrance gate.

I seriously doubt that it could still be that high... ???

Really?

I would think that the materials costs would have gone way down in the last year...

Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: AmoCuernos] #925469 09/24/09 08:41 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
amos,

he's not lying. high fence prices are still around 20k a mile

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: txtrophy85] #925497 09/24/09 08:54 PM
A
AmoCuernos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Wow... pipe has gone way down... I just assumed wire had gone down with it...

Maybe everyone is still trying to sell their inventory at those astronomical prices so they don't eat that loss...

jeez...

Last edited by AmoCuernos; 09/24/09 08:54 PM.
Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: txtrophy85] #925531 09/24/09 09:11 PM
Q
Quailhunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Q
Tye and AmoCuernos,

I have put in for YEARS for an Arizona Unit 9 archery elk tag. When I draw I will most certainly hire an outfitter. If I am lucky enough and if my guide is as good as I think he is then I will be in a position to shoot a big bull. Will I be proud of it? Absolutely. Would I have more pride if I were to DIY and get it done? You better believe it. I have no expertise when it comes to elk hunting. I know that so when I draw what is likely a once in a lifetime tag I use an outfitter who has expertise. The big difference is that I don't think that I am some sort of great hunter because a guide can put me on a big bull. I'm not delusional like that. In the same vein, I don't believe that someone who shoots a big deer behind a high fence is a great hunter. Are there great hunters who choose to hunt behind high fence? Sure. Are there folks who don't even know how to gut a deer who will get lucky and kill a big deer on low fence? Of course. Shooting a big, free range deer takes luck or skill. If all you care about is shooting a big deer then you don't need luck or skill......you just need a checkbook.

I'm glad that you guys brought up the guide/no guide question. It makes my point for me. Every single poster on this forum knows that they would take more pride in an animal that they harvest on a DIY hunt as opposed to a guide pointing towards the animal they are to shoot.

Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: Tye] #925580 09/24/09 09:31 PM
G
GSS Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G

shocked So somewhere around $80-100k to do a section (640ac / 1 sq-mile)...and since many places are much larger, that's some serious money, which is why there is typically a long range plan to recoup some of the investment via a stocking and/or intense management program (more $$$).
Another reason to not like the direction that takes deer hunting, but just my opinion. Not envy, or a condemnation of how a hunt is conducted, just trying to be practical. It is often expressed that we need more people to get into hunting, or stay involved, but $$$ can change that.

I will add Texas is one big-azz state, so no shortage of land. Access may be an issue, but plenty of land. God bless TX!

NRA Life
TSRA Life
Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: Quailhunter] #925724 09/24/09 10:59 PM
A
AmoCuernos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Tye and AmoCuernos,

I have put in for YEARS for an Arizona Unit 9 archery elk tag. When I draw I will most certainly hire an outfitter. If I am lucky enough and if my guide is as good as I think he is then I will be in a position to shoot a big bull. Will I be proud of it? Absolutely. Would I have more pride if I were to DIY and get it done? You better believe it. I have no expertise when it comes to elk hunting. I know that so when I draw what is likely a once in a lifetime tag I use an outfitter who has expertise. The big difference is that I don't think that I am some sort of great hunter because a guide can put me on a big bull. I'm not delusional like that. In the same vein, I don't believe that someone who shoots a big deer behind a high fence is a great hunter. Are there great hunters who choose to hunt behind high fence? Sure. Are there folks who don't even know how to gut a deer who will get lucky and kill a big deer on low fence? Of course. Shooting a big, free range deer takes luck or skill. If all you care about is shooting a big deer then you don't need luck or skill......you just need a checkbook.

I'm glad that you guys brought up the guide/no guide question. It makes my point for me. Every single poster on this forum knows that they would take more pride in an animal that they harvest on a DIY hunt as opposed to a guide pointing towards the animal they are to shoot.

Where I hunt HF LF makes no difference for the ability of the deer to evade... I have taken a big deer before the fence went up and after... exactly the same... but the second one took all kinds of other skills...

The first one took a heck of a lot more luck in the areas where skills used in the second helped...

Last edited by AmoCuernos; 09/24/09 11:32 PM.
Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: AmoCuernos] #925758 09/24/09 11:29 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I think too many people are getting hung up on the "better hunter" bit. It all comes to luck and being in a place that produces the size animal you are looking for. Sure you can increase your odds for a big bull elk or a big Mule deer depending on the unit you hunt in or for big whitetail depending on what part of the State you are hunting.I wouldn't go to the Hill county looking for a 175" buck. I would be wasting my time and money. Now if you high fence a place in the Hill country and allow the bucks to mature, that is a different story. Now you will have a better change of seeing Mr. Big. It still comes to luck even if you have a guide/outfitter.

Look at the guy who shot the 30 pointer. Go watch the video and see what he says. He was sitting on a food plot had some scent stuff on and thats it. No "super human hunting knowledge" was used to kill this monster. Its being in the right place at the right time. Would he had gotten the "spotlight" if he shot a 120" 8 pointer. Nope! Would it take any more skill to kill the deer if it was a 120" 8 pointer? Nope! So size does not dictate how good of a hunter you are. Period!

Don't worry about the guy who hunts behind the HF comparing his kill to what you have killed. Have you noticed the different divisions in Buck contests? If I walked into your house and looked at the deer you have on the wall it would tell me absolutely nothing other than what type deer are in the area you are hunting.

You can't force a deer to come into a feeder,food plot or to any other form of attractant on a HF place. The HF just gives the ranch an ability to put age on a buck. You can drive my place ALL day long and wont see a deer. I only saw 4 last friday(while sitting over a corn feeder for 3 hours) No petting zoo here.

Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: Tye] #925786 09/24/09 11:47 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Tye I’ve never hunted deer inside a hi-fence but i have hunted in several Hi-fences that had big buck's. Interestingly enough I never have seen the big bucks. What I've seen in my own experience is big buck's just don't act like 2 1/2 or 3 year old buck's "they don't just step out and say shoot me". I've always got at least 2 big buck's running my place and your lucky if you even get a chance to see them let alone get a shot. Big buck's whether high-fence or low fence are a whole different critter and a whole different set of survival instinct's.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: HWY_MAN] #925840 09/25/09 12:29 AM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I hear ya HWYMAN. I'll be looking for the buck in the back of the attached picture. We did over 7 blind counts where this picture was taken(From early July till last weekend) and still have not see either of the 3 deer in this picture in person. We have sat in all of our blinds(8)and have only seen one mature buck. Most of the deer we have seen are the 2.5 and 3.5 year olds, some does and pigs. Most people think that you enter through the gate and a 160" deer is saying..."shoot me". Not saying that there isn't places HF or LF that this isn't the case, but most are not. The older the deer gets the smarter he is. Also to note: this is probably the largest deer we have ever had in our 13 years of management under high fence with native deer.

Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: Tye] #926597 09/25/09 02:29 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Those are 3 NICE bucks Tye!! I'd be proud of any one of them.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: Eland Slayer] #927121 09/25/09 07:09 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I am too for native deer. Maybe I'll get some better pics if I see any of them this weekend.

Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: Tye] #928131 09/26/09 01:58 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
I especially like that big 10 on the right.....

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: AmoCuernos] #1030332 11/11/09 10:09 PM
D
d daley Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
Here is my opinion and I see all of your postings. 8 feet is not considered deer proof. I have seen this with my own eyes. Also. To have trophy deer you need nutrition, genetics and age. It is almost impossible for low fence ranches to have mature deer since some land owners shoot everything. The land owner next to you does not have the same management plan as you do.

Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: d daley] #1030382 11/11/09 10:28 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Its possible on free range, you just have to go into a season knowing there's a good possibilty you won't be pulling the trigger.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide