Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics538,077
Posts9,732,728
Members87,065
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Opinions on balancing "safety" and maintaining the "natural beauty" of the land #919819 09/22/09 12:24 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
I'd like to know what you folks think about this. I recently bought a place of my own up near Wichita Falls. It's a nice sized place and with a little work it's already starting to shape up into something really nice. Plans are to do a little hunting and such so there is a goal of keeping it as "natural" as possible. However, my first wife goes out there with me as will kids and eventually grandkids and visitors/friends. So far in the relatively short time since purchasing it I've run in to a copperhead, rattlesnake, a water moccasin, scorpions and a black widow spider.
Now I'm all for watching out for where you step and I don't have an inherent dislike for any of God's creatures but the observations so far have caused me to wonder. Is there anything "negligent" about leaving the critters there (since they were there first, after all)? Do you just warn people to be careful? Or what?

[Linked Image]
Re: Opinions on balancing "safety" and maintaining the "natural beauty" of the land [Re: TX_LT230FH] #919835 09/22/09 12:33 PM
B
Bear Creek Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I'd be more worried about taking my first wife out there if I were you. Snakes and spiders are nothing compared to a $300/hr divorce attorney!! Just my experience.....

Good luck!

Re: Opinions on balancing "safety" and maintaining the "natural beauty" of the land [Re: Bear Creek] #919840 09/22/09 12:36 PM
B
Billy T Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
There is NO way you will get rid of your critters, but you might clean it up some to keep them out of camp, and teach wife, kids and future grandchildren to be careful.

Re: Opinions on balancing "safety" and maintaining the "natural beauty" of the land [Re: TX_LT230FH] #919847 09/22/09 12:40 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: TX_LT230FH
I'd like to know what you folks think about this. I recently bought a place of my own up near Wichita Falls. It's a nice sized place and with a little work it's already starting to shape up into something really nice. Plans are to do a little hunting and such so there is a goal of keeping it as "natural" as possible. However, my first wife goes out there with me as will kids and eventually grandkids and visitors/friends. So far in the relatively short time since purchasing it I've run in to a copperhead, rattlesnake, a water moccasin, scorpions and a black widow spider.
Now I'm all for watching out for where you step and I don't have an inherent dislike for any of God's creatures but the observations so far have caused me to wonder. Is there anything "negligent" about leaving the critters there (since they were there first, after all)? Do you just warn people to be careful? Or what?

I kill all poisonous snakes on sight. Getting bit is no fun, I know! I have to many friends with kids and friends with bird dogs out on my place.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Opinions on balancing "safety" and maintaining the "natural beauty" of the land [Re: HWY_MAN] #919865 09/22/09 12:50 PM
T
txhunter24 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
A good snake is a dead snake. up

Every good and perfect gift is from above . James 1:17
Re: Opinions on balancing "safety" and maintaining the "natural beauty" of the land [Re: txhunter24] #919882 09/22/09 12:57 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: txhunter24
A good snake is a dead snake. up

up

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Opinions on balancing "safety" and maintaining the "natural beauty" of the land [Re: BOBO the Clown] #919897 09/22/09 01:06 PM
janie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
If I come across a poisonous snake, it gets shot. I've never been bit and have no intentions of letting it happen.

Like the others said. A dead snake is a good snake.

Congrat's on having your own place.

He is your friend defender your dog. Be worthy of such devotion

[Linked Image]
Re: Opinions on balancing "safety" and maintaining the "natural beauty" of the land [Re: BOBO the Clown] #919914 09/22/09 01:15 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Yep, anything considered poisonous is summarily executed. Other than that, a basic knowledge for anyone who comes out to the land on how to be safe in an environment where these types of critters live is in order.

These are a few lessons I was taught as a child, and I feel they have helped me avoid serious encounters with snakes, and other nefarious creatures:
Step on fallen trees, not over them. Kick things around before you pick them up off the ground. No reaching into brush piles or other "habitat" for these predators w/o first making sure it's safe. Shake out your shoes/boots in the AM before you put them on. Mainly though, be aware you are in their environment, and be vigilant about seeing them before you get close enough to get bit or stung.

But yeah, I'd be cleaning up the immediate area around camp, just to discourage them hanging out around there.

Jay

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: Opinions on balancing "safety" and maintaining the "natural beauty" of the land [Re: psycho0819] #920019 09/22/09 02:11 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
All the above is good advice. I would only add that two complete ecosystems cannot coexist - it's either suited for a human footprint or not...bottom line. Unlike hunting areas, living areas need be safe and free of hazards. When I began cleaning the area for my new home I wanted to remain as it was - woodsy and rough. I soon found out that the creatures wanted to use my new home place as much as I did; snakes, rats, frogs, turtles, etc, were everywhere...especially on the porch. I couldn't allow kids out the back door unless I was with them. It didn't take long for me to clean it up.
Even though it's not the "park" I envisioned when I first started, it is safe for kids.

Re: Opinions on balancing "safety" and maintaining the "natural beauty" of the land [Re: Big Orn] #920041 09/22/09 02:23 PM
W
wellingtontx Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Keep everthing around your living area cleaned up, mowed and exterminate the snakes. Big Orn is correct, you will have to impact the environment for the safety of your family and guests. Oh yea, kill all copperheads and rattlers !

I did see something on the internet the other day which was touted as a "snake fence" which appeared to me to be a nylon mesh type fencing about 12 to 14 inches high that you placed/staked out on the ground that acted more like a barrier and trap than anything else. Had video of several trapped copperheads. The fellow on the video came up with the idea after moving to a rural area and trying to keep snakes away from his family.

Re: Opinions on balancing "safety" and maintaining the "natural beauty" of the land [Re: wellingtontx] #920106 09/22/09 02:47 PM
D
deewayne2003 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
keep things around the living area free of brush and trash, and have an exterminator come out and spray for spiders and roaches every now and then.

As for snakes I have had a couple of close calls but never been bit, how ever more people are bit and have to go the the hospital because of Brown Recluse(fiddle back) spider bites. They get sore and the bite area starts to rot and its no fun.

Just make sure people know they are not walking around in Dallas when they are out there, after all when people get bit by snakes its their own fault most of the time.

Re: Opinions on balancing "safety" and maintaining the "natural beauty" of the land [Re: deewayne2003] #920179 09/22/09 03:25 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
All good stuff. I'm in the process of clearing up where the majority of the "shelter-type" buildings will be. I've got a bunch of prickly pear patches to deal with and every one of them have burrows in them- guessing they are probably rats? Did see a skunk loping along Saturday morning but he was headed off........
I want it to be as wild as possible but also to be safe. I guess I could just carry my wife around all the time since she's always riding my a** anyway!

[Linked Image]
Re: Opinions on balancing "safety" and maintaining the "natural beauty" of the land [Re: TX_LT230FH] #920191 09/22/09 03:31 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
Quote:
I guess I could just carry my wife around all the time since she's always riding my a** anyway!

LMBOFAO! grin Good'un! up

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide