Print Thread
Colorado changes #9056944 06/04/24 12:46 PM
W
Wytex Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
W
Looks like CO is making some changes to their OTC licenses for NRs and adjusting quota percentages for NRs and Rs as well.
Starting in 2025 I believe but read the memo.

Plan ahead if you want to hunt archery elk in CO after 2024.

https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/C...025-2029%20Big_Game_Season_Structure.pdf

Re: Colorado changes [Re: Wytex] #9056977 06/04/24 01:38 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Irony is all license sales are declining yet Residents say NR are ruining everything.

That’s funny

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Colorado changes [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9056982 06/04/24 01:50 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Irony is all license sales are declining yet Residents say NR are ruining everything.

That’s funny

All the while it's their neighbors in Denver and Boulder who are ruining it all.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Colorado changes [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9056990 06/04/24 02:06 PM
W
Wytex Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
W

That’s funny

Better read it again.
Archery elk licenses have increased except for the year with winterkill.
NRs get more archery elk licenses than Rs right now and over crowding is a problem.
And yes too many NRs do ruin everything, even down in Texas.

Since the Commission meeting in March 2024, staff have held numerous internal discussions
about all of the feedback received. Staff have come to a new recommendation, which is to
limit OTC archery licenses for nonresidents only, and to maintain OTC archery licenses for
residents. Unlike rifle, staff believe OTC archery elk licenses should be limited for
nonresidents only for the following reasons:
1. There has been an increasing trend in OTC archery license sales (Figure 3) over 20
years. In the early 2000s, the number of OTC archery licenses sales was around 10,000
(~50% resident; ~50% nonresident). From 2014-2019, the number of OTC archery
license sales was around 36,000-39,000, with residents getting 58%-51% of the licenses
during that period. OTC archery license sales dropped to about 27,000 licenses in 2023
(~47% resident; ~53% nonresident). The limitation of five elk herds during the period
2000-2023 and hunter response to the 2022-2023 severe winter contributed to this
drop in OTC license sales.
2. There is a 20-year increasing trend in total archery license sales for elk, which is a
combined total of OTC and limited license sales (Figure 4). In 2001, total archery
license sales for elk were about 25,000 (53% resident; 47% nonresident). Twenty years
later, CPW sold over 20,000 more archery licenses (48% resident; 52% nonresident)
than in 2021. Total archery elk license sales have substantially increased during this
period, and nonresidents now get a higher proportion of the licenses than residents.

Re: Colorado changes [Re: Wytex] #9057024 06/04/24 03:03 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Hmm. That was unexpected.

The staff recommendations track my unscientific observations. Gun tags have gotten a little easier to draw and archery have gotten harder. This makes my decision about 25 a little more problematic. Do I pull the trigger on an archery tag in 25 or wait a couple years and see if I can draw a more premium gun tag? I think age is going to decide this for me but it is an interesting statistical problem. Back in the day, I seem to remember it being fairly hard to draw a 1st rifle tag in many units. It still requires points but it seems like point creep is slowed considerably for gun tags. I can't say point requirements are dropping, just slowing.

I have a bunch of mule deer points in Colorado. I dunno if I will spend them or not. I can hunt mule deer in a lot of states for cheaper, easier and more often if I'm not wedded to the high mountain experience. I may just keep buying mule deer points until I die. After all, he who dies with the most points wins.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Colorado changes [Re: Wytex] #9057031 06/04/24 03:13 PM
W
Wytex Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
W
They are adjusting season dates too, check those before deciding on 25.

https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Commission/2024/May/Item.19BGSS_Policy_Draft.pdf

I have a bunch of deer PPs too for CO, probably never use them but maybe one day .

Some pretty easy elk hunting out this way, don't give up yet based on your age.

Re: Colorado changes [Re: Wytex] #9057062 06/04/24 04:20 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Wytex

That’s funny

Better read it again.
Archery elk licenses have increased except for the year with winterkill.
NRs get more archery elk licenses than Rs right now and over crowding is a problem.
And yes too many NRs do ruin everything, even down in Texas.

Since the Commission meeting in March 2024, staff have held numerous internal discussions
about all of the feedback received. Staff have come to a new recommendation, which is to
limit OTC archery licenses for nonresidents only, and to maintain OTC archery licenses for
residents. Unlike rifle, staff believe OTC archery elk licenses should be limited for
nonresidents only for the following reasons:
1. There has been an increasing trend in OTC archery license sales (Figure 3) over 20
years. In the early 2000s, the number of OTC archery licenses sales was around 10,000
(~50% resident; ~50% nonresident). From 2014-2019, the number of OTC archery
license sales was around 36,000-39,000, with residents getting 58%-51% of the licenses
during that period. OTC archery license sales dropped to about 27,000 licenses in 2023
(~47% resident; ~53% nonresident). The limitation of five elk herds during the period
2000-2023 and hunter response to the 2022-2023 severe winter contributed to this
drop in OTC license sales.
2. There is a 20-year increasing trend in total archery license sales for elk, which is a
combined total of OTC and limited license sales (Figure 4). In 2001, total archery
license sales for elk were about 25,000 (53% resident; 47% nonresident). Twenty years
later, CPW sold over 20,000 more archery licenses (48% resident; 52% nonresident)
than in 2021. Total archery elk license sales have substantially increased during this
period, and nonresidents now get a higher proportion of the licenses than residents.

I read it correctly, overall licenses is declining. Res has been declining since 15 and NR last 3 years. oTC archery license is at lowest point since 2004

All elk tags
2004= 238k +-
2023= 153k +-

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Colorado changes [Re: jnd59] #9057066 06/04/24 04:25 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by jnd59
Hmm. That was unexpected.

The staff recommendations track my unscientific observations. Gun tags have gotten a little easier to draw and archery have gotten harder. This makes my decision about 25 a little more problematic. Do I pull the trigger on an archery tag in 25 or wait a couple years and see if I can draw a more premium gun tag? I think age is going to decide this for me but it is an interesting statistical problem. Back in the day, I seem to remember it being fairly hard to draw a 1st rifle tag in many units. It still requires points but it seems like point creep is slowed considerably for gun tags. I can't say point requirements are dropping, just slowing.

I have a bunch of mule deer points in Colorado. I dunno if I will spend them or not. I can hunt mule deer in a lot of states for cheaper, easier and more often if I'm not wedded to the high mountain experience. I may just keep buying mule deer points until I die. After all, he who dies with the most points wins.

It’s was thought that they would go all draw Rifle but not Archery, But back in March they released it would be archery.

The most recent OTC archery convent units still have left over rags every season, it will be the same next year. They originally said that pressure was causing lack of fawn recruitment, when infact we all know that it was predation, thus they dropped bear tags to a hundred bucks for a few years.

As far as Mulies I’d wait 2-3 years, as the old season structure really put a hammering on upper age classes, as that was the whole purpose was to lower deer numbers.

Re: Colorado changes [Re: Wytex] #9057971 06/06/24 03:30 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I blame YouTube, the internet, social media and people who can’t keep a good thing to themselves to blame for the influx of people going to the woods and out west.

IMO the woods have filled up with hunters who are there for the Instagram pics and to say they are out there rather than guys actually trying to kill something.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Colorado changes [Re: txtrophy85] #9058019 06/06/24 11:50 AM
D
DUKFVR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
I blame YouTube, the internet, social media and people who can’t keep a good thing to themselves to blame for the influx of people going to the woods and out west.

IMO the woods have filled up with hunters who are there for the Instagram pics and to say they are out there rather than guys actually trying to kill something.

This is true with all hunting everywhere. Buncha ego driven azzes.

Re: Colorado changes [Re: txtrophy85] #9058048 06/06/24 12:33 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I thought so too, but I just don’t run into those types on the trail. What I do see more than ever is trail runners and day hiker.

In reality there are less people in the woods hunting then 20 years ago in CO. ALOT less. Licenses numbers don’t lie. With that said I see wayyyyyy more runners and hikers then ever before.. All months of the year. There has been studies showing calving issue from intrusion of runners in hikers around vail. To truly understand CO backcountry issue go in July.

Re: Colorado changes [Re: Wytex] #9058098 06/06/24 02:23 PM
W
Wytex Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
W
BOBO go read what the CO folks are saying about hunter numbers, not near what you are seeing. Too many hunters in OTC areas and yes lots of recreationists too.

Re: Colorado changes [Re: Wytex] #9058163 06/06/24 04:20 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Wytex
BOBO go read what the CO folks are saying about hunter numbers, not near what you are seeing. Too many hunters in OTC areas and yes lots of recreationists too.

I have missed 2 seasons in 20 years, in those 20 Ive hunted 12 units. I use to be a CO res. No resident ever said I want NR competition.

The facts below are per the CO link you posted. Perception isn’t always supported by facts. The graph’s I posted are based off actual licenses sales not res projecting

Total Elk tags sales are down 85k +- since 2004.

OTC rifle tags have been declining for 15 years, they are at an all time low.

Current OTC archery sales are down to 2004/2005 levels.
The highest point was over Covid. Outside of Covid they have been declining since 15

Every unit that has gone archery drawn in last 10 years from OTC has left over tags post draw almost every year and they are usually a third choice draw units most years, eventually they sale out. Overall Archery sale growth isnt in OTC units it’s in draw units that use to be OTC or low other low pt units, in other words going to all draw isn’t fixing anything, unless you CUT even MORE tags, and that’s really what Res want is NR tags cut dramatically.

I see more people deeper then I use to, That is for sure a function of Social Media but it’s not such a bad thing.

Re: Colorado changes [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9058255 06/06/24 08:32 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J

I thought so too, but I just don’t run into those types on the trail. What I do see more than ever is trail runners and day hiker.

In reality there are less people in the woods hunting then 20 years ago in CO. ALOT less. Licenses numbers don’t lie. With that said I see wayyyyyy more runners and hikers then ever before.. All months of the year. There has been studies showing calving issue from intrusion of runners in hikers around vail. To truly understand CO backcountry issue go in July.

As someone that has climbed the 14ers in CO, I concur with the non-consumptive pubic land use. Even in the Chicago Basin ( three sisters), which requires a train ride and 7 mile backpack climb to overnight (at least for us old people), there's 10 or 15 being dropped off every day. And these day hikers are not limiting themselves to summer. They should institute some limitations on hiking during calving season. Shed hunters aren't allowed in there at that time so no-one else should be either. If for no other reason it would give the hikers/runners/backpackers a chip in the game and maybe give them something to think about. Non-consumptive users think because they practice leave no trace they leave no damage. That's not true at all. When you're camped at 12,500 and you have mountain goats right outside your tent you know things are changing. Cool to see but they really shouldn't be that close for their own safety. I have avoided hunting the Weimanuche (sp? I can never spell that) mainly because I see the elk and deer somewhat acclimated to people. Plus I don't think I have enough points anyway.

As far as the license, I don't fault residents wanting to limit out of staters. I'd probably have that opinion if I lived in those states as well. Likely not as adamant as others but still. I have that sentiment for Texas as well and if I ever get moved to Arizona, none of you can come hunt in January. We'll be closed when I'm a resident. Just kidding...sort of.

And I don't fault social media that much (blame yes, fault no). I've learned a great deal off the internet. I've learned a ton about handling game and cooking that wasn't available when I was younger. My mom believed that all wild game should be cooked until all hell and damnation was removed, then chewed until you could choke it down. Lot of ducks were eaten that way. And I've learned some opportunities. I think anyone that goes into an out of state hunt or any hunt for that matter that is flat clueless has no excuses. When I was a younger, if you were from out of state and new, it was expected you would be infused with the stupid virus. With all the information we have now, not knowing is no excuse.

"The information is out there Jessie, you just have to let it in." Suitcase from Jessie Stone.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Colorado changes [Re: Wytex] #9061139 06/12/24 09:38 PM
W
Wytex Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
W
Comm. voted today and passed Alternative 2, includes draw for NR archery elk.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide