Print Thread
Changing Insurance Providers. Suggestions? #9025854 03/28/24 01:01 PM
C
Catperch Online Content OP
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
C
Quick backstory…. I started using my insurance company bc a friend was my agent. He’s moved up in the company so I deal with another guy. I’ve got all my policies with them and have for years. I called the new guy to get a construction/builders policy on a house I bought while I remodel and he told me they don’t do that. Knowing this wasn’t the case I called his boss and he said of course we provide that coverage. No one called me back and when I followed up, the new guy acts like I’m putting him out. I’m done paying people that act like they are doing me a favor. I’ve been with this company so long I don’t know who else to try. Any suggestions?

Re: Changing Insurance Providers. Suggestions? [Re: Catperch] #9025856 03/28/24 01:06 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
1. Call the boss again. Let boss know plus you will now be shopping around.
2. Shop around

To be determined
Re: Changing Insurance Providers. Suggestions? [Re: Catperch] #9025874 03/28/24 01:57 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Insurance is a racket!

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Changing Insurance Providers. Suggestions? [Re: Catperch] #9025876 03/28/24 02:13 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Safeco is the worst for bait & switch had them for years moved to Oklahoma and they still covered my new place with a reasonable rate $1800.00 per year.
So year 2 they send me a 5 page letter justifying why they have to increase my rate to $3400.00 per year. I shopped around and got the same coverage for $1600.00 per year. I dropped them like a hot horseshoe.

Yes I'm paying $1600.00 per year on house, shop, outbuildings and 40 acers, head north young man.

Re: Changing Insurance Providers. Suggestions? [Re: Catperch] #9025880 03/28/24 02:20 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by Catperch
Quick backstory…. I started using my insurance company bc a friend was my agent. He’s moved up in the company so I deal with another guy. I’ve got all my policies with them and have for years. I called the new guy to get a construction/builders policy on a house I bought while I remodel and he told me they don’t do that. Knowing this wasn’t the case I called his boss and he said of course we provide that coverage. No one called me back and when I followed up, the new guy acts like I’m putting him out. I’m done paying people that act like they are doing me a favor. I’ve been with this company so long I don’t know who else to try. Any suggestions?

No one will answer your question with anything besides who they do business with. Find a good independent agent and have him price your entire portfolio...wise man once told me and to date it's held true "if you've been with the same insurance company over 3 years, odds are you're getting screwed".

After receiving that sage advice, finding a good independent who reps several companies and staying on top of him to price/re-evaluate me every year...I've not stayed with anyone over 2 years, someone has always beat that price. You don't say where you are located so I'm not going to give a recommendation besides talk to an independent.

Also, no way in hell do I ever beg people that are taking my money. They've showed you that you don't care to them, why give them another cent of your time or money?

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Changing Insurance Providers. Suggestions? [Re: Catperch] #9025928 03/28/24 04:07 PM
M
Mistereeee Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Buddy that was my insurance agent for a while told me to always change your carriers every couple of years, since companies give their best rates to attract new customers. I would switch companies, and he'd mark it down to call me in a year with a promo rate to switch me back. Changing can be a pain of course, but it always saved me money...

Re: Changing Insurance Providers. Suggestions? [Re: Catperch] #9025933 03/28/24 04:20 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Only suggestion I have is that it simply ain't about the size of the premium, but very much about the actual coverage too. A fella ain't doing himself much good to trade coverage in for less money. Make sure you've got the coverage you need - no more, no less - with a company that has a reputation and track record for actually taking care of customers and paying claims. I'll gladly pay a little more (and do) for great service and confidence that I'll be covered in times of loss.

Also, state laws have big impacts on rates. Some years ago, I moved from northern Virginia/DC metro to Nacogdoches and my truck insurance premiums actually went up.

[Linked Image]
Re: Changing Insurance Providers. Suggestions? [Re: Mistereeee] #9025939 03/28/24 04:44 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Mistereeee
Buddy that was my insurance agent for a while told me to always change your carriers every couple of years, since companies give their best rates to attract new customers. I would switch companies, and he'd mark it down to call me in a year with a promo rate to switch me back. Changing can be a pain of course, but it always saved me money...

I have been with my insurance for almost 40 years.

I get all kinds of discounts, loyalty discounts, multi coverage discount, Alarm discount, I had Frisco Police come out and look at my doors and windows and got some kind of discount for that, I have Roof Class 4 Shingle discount.

I have like 3 cars with full coverage and 3 with only Liability, over all I happy with my rates.

I have only done 2 hail damages on houses and one hail damage on a car

I am with the largest Home Insurance company in the US.

Re: Changing Insurance Providers. Suggestions? [Re: Catperch] #9025956 03/28/24 05:15 PM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Insurance discounts for this and that is an old scam they do. If you never call around and get quotes from other companies, you don't know how much you are overpaying.

Re: Changing Insurance Providers. Suggestions? [Re: Catperch] #9025966 03/28/24 05:34 PM
C
Catperch Online Content OP
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
C
Well, I calmed down a bit and took the first advice and called the boss again. He took care of it immediately. Probably a bit my fault for letting it fester and being stubborn. Glad I don’t have to shop around. Venting and ranting over.

Re: Changing Insurance Providers. Suggestions? [Re: ntxtrapper] #9025971 03/28/24 06:02 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Insurance discounts for this and that is an old scam they do. If you never call around and get quotes from other companies, you don't know how much you are overpaying.

Wrong

I called about my Alarm Discount, I was thinking about discounting my service, So Icalled to see how much more my Home Owners would be if I didn't renew and it's about Break Even.

When I got a new roof I had to send in some paperwork to get my Class 4 Shingle discount

Your HomeOwners is probably a scam for items discount, but mine isn't. I use the most recognized name in Home Owners, I don't try to cut corners on my Insurance.

I looked at my policy I am getting

Home Alert Discount
Home/Auto Discount
Loyal Customer
Hail Resistive Roof
Claim Record Discount

Re: Changing Insurance Providers. Suggestions? [Re: Catperch] #9025993 03/28/24 06:44 PM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Catperch
Well, I calmed down a bit and took the first advice and called the boss again. He took care of it immediately. Probably a bit my fault for letting it fester and being stubborn. Glad I don’t have to shop around. Venting and ranting over.

Good deal. It’s always a good idea though to shop around. Most folks think they are getting a good deal until they take the time to see what other companies offer.

Re: Changing Insurance Providers. Suggestions? [Re: Catperch] #9026022 03/28/24 07:23 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I use an independent agent who is a very good friend. I will change sometimes based on his recommendation. Company he had me in for awhile was going way way up and he just said they dont really want your business (based on reasons in some of the other threads lately). I switched to Travelors and so far so good. Just yesterday the adjuster looked at my hail damaged roof and I had $10K(partial pay) in my Zelle account by noon. I couldnt believe it but I was pleased. I communicated with the adjuster multiple times and he was great. My experiences with insurance has always been good.

Last edited by freerange; 03/28/24 07:24 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Changing Insurance Providers. Suggestions? [Re: freerange] #9026029 03/28/24 07:33 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by freerange
I use an independent agent who is a very good friend. I will change sometimes based on his recommendation. Company he had me in for awhile was going way way up and he just said they dont really want your business (based on reasons in some of the other threads lately). I switched to Travelors and so far so good. Just yesterday the adjuster looked at my hail damaged roof and I had $10K(partial pay) in my Zelle account by noon. I couldnt believe it but I was pleased. I communicated with the adjuster multiple times and he was great. My experiences with insurance has always been good.

You had better luck with Travelers than I did. Had a hail claim on my roof with them several years ago. They would only pay for 1/2 a roof replacement. No roofer will do that. I fought them for a year, then switched companies.

Re: Changing Insurance Providers. Suggestions? [Re: Catperch] #9026042 03/28/24 08:15 PM
nak Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
I have been [censored] over twice (shame on me for not leaning the first time) by State Farm.

We have ended up back at Geico both times. When one of our daughters had back-to-back accidents as a new driver, Gieco was great to work with and fair on the rate increase we saw after that. On of those accidents ended up in an ambulance chaser lawsuit and Gieco fought it all the way and kept us well informed. .

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: Changing Insurance Providers. Suggestions? [Re: Catperch] #9026258 03/29/24 10:35 AM
GasGuzzler Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
First good story I've ever heard about Geico.

I've had SF for nearly four decades and the longer I stay, the worse I get treated.

I have come to realize it's the actual people in my case that are the issue, not necessarily the company.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Changing Insurance Providers. Suggestions? [Re: GasGuzzler] #9026413 03/29/24 04:26 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
First good story I've ever heard about Geico.

I've had SF for nearly four decades and the longer I stay, the worse I get treated.

I have come to realize it's the actual people in my case that are the issue, not necessarily the company.

Thats interesting. I would think that generally the company would greatly influence the way their people treat the clients. Certainly person to person can vary their demeanor but it seems like the things that MATTER would come from the top down.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Changing Insurance Providers. Suggestions? [Re: Catperch] #9026466 03/29/24 05:39 PM
G
gtrich94 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
We've had a few different auto providers over the years (Liberty M, Geico, Progressive, All State) and have had decent luck with the claims process. The biggest issue we've had is they all use the same crappy collision repair places and it seems like they all suck. We've been to a few different ones and I don't think we've ever had a good outcome with any of them.

Thanks,
Rich
Re: Changing Insurance Providers. Suggestions? [Re: Catperch] #9026477 03/29/24 05:56 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

shop about three, pick the best price.
DO NOT BUY ALLSTATE

then call every year a month before renewal and ask them for their quote.
only way to keep 'em honest.

[Linked Image]

"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide