Forums46
Topics538,506
Posts9,737,947
Members87,094
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: 6.5 Creedmoore and deer hunting ? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9008974 02/21/24 03:25 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...agneto-speed-v-3-with-extras#Post9007975

hard to argue ammo ballistics with out chronograph

Good news is there are like 5 for sale in classifieds. can be pretty eye opening.

It sure is Bobo. I used my new Garmin twice, then I couldn't get my Magnetospeed sold fast enough. The Garmin is superb, easy, accurate, so easy a caveman can do it.

Re: 6.5 Creedmoore and deer hunting ? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9008978 02/21/24 03:28 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J

this whole thread is stupid. From wound channel myths to bleed out ideologies, to caliber metrics.

Hornady created and supported a very inherently accurate caliber thats made gun smiths and ammo makers look really good. Not to many calibers have ever had the accuracy consistency from box to box that Hornady produced with the 6.5 CM.

Couldn't agree more with this short and very accurate summary. Well said.

Re: 6.5 Creedmoore and deer hunting ? [Re: Jgraider] #9009041 02/21/24 05:35 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Jgraider

this whole thread is stupid. From wound channel myths to bleed out ideologies, to caliber metrics.

Hornady created and supported a very inherently accurate caliber thats made gun smiths and ammo makers look really good. Not to many calibers have ever had the accuracy consistency from box to box that Hornady produced with the 6.5 CM.

Couldn't agree more with this short and very accurate summary. Well said.

Yes they are doing a good job.

But, as most know with mass production ammo and rifles, there are larger tolerances.

In September a THF member was out for a shooting day. An Alamo Precison rifle and Hornady Precison Hunter 143 gr ELD-X. He had 5 boxes. We got zeroed and ran out to 800 yard, with no issue. I asked if the ammo was all the same lot number. Turns out, he bought two boxes one day, and 3 more boxes a couple of weeks later. So two lot numbers. He asked "what do we do?" I said let's check zero on the second lot number then run it down range. 100 yard zero needed to only shift .1 Mil right.

We went straight to 500 yards from there. The DOPE on the previous lot number was 3.0 Mil. Dialed that in, and his bullet sailed right over the target. Come down to 2.6 Mil and hit center. Working off DOPE from 500 to 800 yards, in a Kestrel ballistic calculator, the second lot number was 100 fps faster at the muzzle.

He left the rifle with me. The hand loads I came up with were safely running 2780 fps, ES of 9. It's rare for me to see Hornady's ammo running more than 2700 fps. But for most people it doest matter very much.

As far as effectively putting animals down. As has been said, it's the Indian more than the arrow. There's thousands of cartridges that will do it, and many use a 6.5mm bullet. 6.5X55 being an old hand, and .260 Remington that could have been what the 6.5 Creedmoor has become. But Remington screwed the pooch, as usual.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: 6.5 Creedmoore and deer hunting ? [Re: Hudbone] #9009088 02/21/24 07:20 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Is the 6.5 just as effective in a high fence enclosure?

Now we’re talking!!!!!!

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: 6.5 Creedmoore and deer hunting ? [Re: notamtchance] #9009094 02/21/24 07:40 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
5 pages of this. What a waste of internet.

Re: 6.5 Creedmoore and deer hunting ? [Re: ntxtrapper] #9009108 02/21/24 08:53 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

Welp deer season is over, fish ain’t biting yet, here we are

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: 6.5 Creedmoore and deer hunting ? [Re: 10 Gauge] #9009113 02/21/24 09:00 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann

Not a waste - shows you lots.

Re: 6.5 Creedmoore and deer hunting ? [Re: 10 Gauge] #9009116 02/21/24 09:11 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
fish ain’t biting yet

Fish are always biting homie.

Re: 6.5 Creedmoore and deer hunting ? [Re: Hudbone] #9009119 02/21/24 09:15 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

A lot about people but not much about a cartridge.

Re: 6.5 Creedmoore and deer hunting ? [Re: skinnerback] #9009121 02/21/24 09:21 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by skinnerback
fish ain’t biting yet

Fish are always biting homie.

I fish from the bank. I did catch my biggest blue from the bank in freezing conditions, at night. But my up all night in freezing weather for catfish days ended when i quit drinking!

Re: 6.5 Creedmoore and deer hunting ? [Re: ntxtrapper] #9009124 02/21/24 09:25 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F

A lot about people but not much about a cartridge.

Figured that’s what he meant

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: 6.5 Creedmoore and deer hunting ? [Re: notamtchance] #9009128 02/21/24 09:33 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I definitely learned a few things, not just about people. And even if I was getting drunk while trying to catch catfish, or fishing for catfish while trying to get drunk, I’d still check in. Just telling the truth!

Re: 6.5 Creedmoore and deer hunting ? [Re: notamtchance] #9009141 02/21/24 10:06 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I’ve seen the creedmoor work just fine, and also had to track 400 yards for a clients deer.
With only guiding experience, I believe it’s the same as a .223 or .243, all depends on the gun and the shooter. The round is plenty capable for Texas WT deer.

Re: 6.5 Creedmoore and deer hunting ? [Re: notamtchance] #9009199 02/22/24 12:00 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Another thing, you can load 6.5 creedmoor with a small rifle primer. That is a huge advantage these days.

Re: 6.5 Creedmoore and deer hunting ? [Re: 10 Gauge] #9009257 02/22/24 01:35 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Or I can buy some white box match and kill everything I shoot with ease

Re: 6.5 Creedmoore and deer hunting ? [Re: notamtchance] #9009276 02/22/24 02:16 AM
N
notamtchance Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
N
Dang, this started off as a simple question. Man did I open a can. Lol. The one thing I will say is that everything I have shot with my 6.5 Creedmoore has dropped in its tracks. The only reason I asked the original question is: I have noticed that on a couple of animals the bullet did not pass though at 100 yrds.

If I'm not hunting something I must be dead.
Re: 6.5 Creedmoore and deer hunting ? [Re: notamtchance] #9009278 02/22/24 02:22 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by notamtchance
Dang, this started off as a simple question. Man did I open a can. Lol. The one thing I will say is that everything I have shot with my 6.5 Creedmoore has dropped in its tracks. The only reason I asked the original question is: I have noticed that on a couple of animals the bullet did not pass though at 100 yrds.

I was told a story by a client an hour ago.

300 Remington Ultra Mag
165 gr Nosler solid base
260 yards on a Nilgai

Good shot placement and the animal went 80 yards then piled up. No exit wound. Bullet found on the offside hide.

No exit wound, but did the bullet work? Him telling me the lungs were destroyed says to me the bullet and shot placement worked.

There is only one way to make them dead before they hit the ground. Sever the brain stem. If you're shooting heart/lungs, they may run off a bit. I've seen a ton of animals hit by a good bullet, shot by a skilled hunter, and we still had to blood trail. It's just the way it is.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: 6.5 Creedmoore and deer hunting ? [Re: notamtchance] #9009306 02/22/24 03:02 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I think the original post was about killing bucks with a 6.5 Creedmore. It’s plenty of gun. Whitetail aren’t that hard to kill. Both of my sons took their first 5 deer each with an old Sako 22 Hornet. All but one dropped in their tracks because they had a rest on the blind window and hit them in the neck at 125 yards or less. The only one that ran off was 150 and shot behind the shoulder. That one ran about 100 yards. Years later they now shoot a 7-08 and still haven’t lost a deer.There is no reason to need anything bigger than the Creedmore or 243 unless you are shooting running game where you don’t have time to take a rest and make a controlled shot. Learn how to shoot, where to shoot, and keep it under 300 yards and you can kill animals with anything you have.

Re: 6.5 Creedmoore and deer hunting ? [Re: scalebuster] #9009319 02/22/24 03:20 AM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by scalebuster
I think the original post was about killing bucks with a 6.5 Creedmore. It’s plenty of gun. Whitetail aren’t that hard to kill. Both of my sons took their first 5 deer each with an old Sako 22 Hornet. All but one dropped in their tracks because they had a rest on the blind window and hit them in the neck at 125 yards or less. The only one that ran off was 150 and shot behind the shoulder. That one ran about 100 yards. Years later they now shoot a 7-08 and still haven’t lost a deer.There is no reason to need anything bigger than the Creedmore or 243 unless you are shooting running game where you don’t have time to take a rest and make a controlled shot. Learn how to shoot, where to shoot, and keep it under 300 yards and you can kill animals with anything you have.

Yes, and use good bullets. Which brings to mind another huge 6.5CM attribute.......at velocities generated by this cartridge, it's really hard to pic a bad bullet that won't kill deer sized game. We all have our biases, but a whole slew of 6.5 bullets are efficient killers.

Re: 6.5 Creedmoore and deer hunting ? [Re: scalebuster] #9009894 02/23/24 07:28 AM
N
notamtchance Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
N

I can assure you that shot placement is not and never has been an issue. The reason for the trophy buck being included is that one would not do a head shot on a animal he intended on shoulder mounting. I for one as most ethical hunters want an animal to die as soon as possible and not suffer unnecessary. So far every animal I have shot with my 6.5 Creedmoore has dropped where it was. That being said, I too have seen deer shot through the hart run a 100yrds before dieing. I also know that if the bullet passes though the animal it will leave a better blood trail than a single hole. That is why the grain of the bullet was asked in the question.

If I'm not hunting something I must be dead.
Re: 6.5 Creedmoore and deer hunting ? [Re: notamtchance] #9010022 02/23/24 03:35 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I can assure you that shot placement is not and never has been an issue. The reason for the trophy buck being included is that one would not do a head shot on a animal he intended on shoulder mounting. I for one as most ethical hunters want an animal to die as soon as possible and not suffer unnecessary. So far every animal I have shot with my 6.5 Creedmoore has dropped where it was. That being said, I too have seen deer shot through the hart run a 100yrds before dieing. I also know that if the bullet passes though the animal it will leave a better blood trail than a single hole. That is why the grain of the bullet was asked in the question.

high shoulder(mid shoulder in reality) and qtr’ing to neck/shoulder crease are definitive nerve system termination. Why I said in first post doesnt matter on the bullet. Id stay away from monolithic in 6.5 CM, as I feel the velocity is marginal for a good wound channel with them in a 6.5 CM but all the Cup and Core bullets work well. With that said monolthics still work just C &C tend to work better

I have used 120-143grs in a-tips, Bergers, AB, ABLR, SST, ELDX, Interbound, Bondstrike and lupa Screnar’s, And Im sure missed a few

my two favorite are ABLR and Scenar’s, but none of any of the bullets I have failed to deliver.

Dallas Reloads, Cooper Creek Ammo and Unknown munitions offer a large array of different premium bullets and fine tuned consistent ammo. . They also offer load work up packs if you really want to dial it in.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: 6.5 Creedmoore and deer hunting ? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9010037 02/23/24 04:11 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U

high shoulder(mid shoulder in reality) and qtr’ing to neck/shoulder crease are definitive nerve system termination. Why I said in first post doesnt matter on the bullet. Id stay away from monolithic in 6.5 CM as I feel velocity is margin for a good wound channel with them in a 6.5 CM but all the Cup and Core bullets work well. monolthics still work just C &C tend to work better

I have used 120-143grs in a-tips, Bergers, AB, ABLR, SST, ELDX, Interbound, Bondstrike and lupa Screnar’s, And Im sure missed a few

my two favorite are ABLR and Scenar’s, but not have failed to deliver.

Dallas Reloads, Cooper Creek Ammo and Unknown munitions offer a large array of different premium bullets and fine tuned consistent ammo. . They also offer load work up packs if you really want to dial it in.

IMO, Bobo is right on the money here. If you shoot a deer through the heart and it runs 100 yards, it is not going to matter whether it was a 120gr at 3000fps, a 143 gr at 2800fps, or a super whiz bang 30 caliber magnum 180 gr zipping at 3100fps. The deer ran on that shot because she had full O2 in her blood and the CNS was not affected. So she or he is going to run until the O2 has been used up.

Last edited by unclebubba; 02/23/24 04:12 PM.

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: 6.5 Creedmoore and deer hunting ? [Re: notamtchance] #9010046 02/23/24 04:27 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
If you shoot a whitetail through the heart with a 200 grain or heavier bullet, with enough power to initiate what many would call “bullet failure”, then what happens? Or let’s say 180 grains?

I bet it doesn’t run very far.

I am not trying to take away from the 6.5 Swedemoor but I just wanted to point out, the CNS/brain stem shot isn’t necessarily the only way to DRT a deer.

I killed my first buck DRT with a .243 through the shoulder/spine. Nowhere near to the brain stem and yet it did not touch the heart or lungs. But it is a sample of one deer, i have only ever killed two. Second was with a bow and she went ten yards tops, and was on high alert when i shot her. Only bone it hit was ribs/scap. Liver, lung, diaphragm, stomach.

But I have killed a whole lot of squirrels and everything zips through. The more rapid and explosive your expansion and fragmentation is the better. The more trauma the better.

Within your acceptable limits of damaged meat, of course.

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 02/23/24 04:47 PM.

Re: 6.5 Creedmoore and deer hunting ? [Re: 10 Gauge] #9010069 02/23/24 04:51 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
If you shoot a whitetail thtough the heart with a 200 grain or heavier bullet, with enough power to initiate what many would call “bullet failure”, then what happens? Or let’s say 180 grains?

I bet it doesn’t run very far.

I am not trying to take away from the 6.5 Swedemoor but I just wanted to point out, the CNS/brain stem shot isn’t necessarily the only way to DRT a deer.

I killed my first buck DRT with a .243 through the shoulder/spine. Nowhere near to the brain stem and yet it did not touch the heart or lungs.

Heart shots are typically one of the longest recovery from both bullets and arrows, second being argumentivily high lung. biggest difference is speed of blood trail

Caliber size means very little in this case. The brain is telling muscle areas to fire and they are using the oxygen and adrenaline thats already present.

only one way to be DRT, sever the Central nervous system so the muscles have no directive. The pressure from the bullet wound cavity can also sever the nervous system connection. any shoulder hit you are very close to the spine. Why people like cup and core for lower velocities impacts

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: 6.5 Creedmoore and deer hunting ? [Re: notamtchance] #9010076 02/23/24 05:01 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Sometimes you get lucky too, or just have bad luck. I have dropped squirrels on the spot with only 2 or 3 hits from a shotgun, that didn’t seem to hit anything major. And have lost some i though i hit good, nearly lost some i hit through both lungs.

One time i shot one through the liver and lungs with a .22 pellet gun that dropped on the spot but came “back to life” in my bag!

Not big game but i think its relevant, for argument’s sake.

I like this thread 😃

Edit- posted before BOBO’s explanation. I have no doubt that .243 completely rocked that buck’s CNS. If a .243 can do it then the Swedemoor is more and better

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 02/23/24 05:12 PM.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide