Print Thread
Hog trap 2 days in a row? #8995963 01/28/24 07:42 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Baited a feeder area and had the sounder of hogs hot another. So the next morning i baited the feeder they hit and built a simple figure 6 trap. I put it in front of a cell camera so i would be able to see when the pigs hit. Sure enough, the pigs hit the first spot with no trap, but i waited and they made it to the other trap and went in. I wasnt sure what to expect, so i went over there and sure enough there were quite a few pigs in there. As i started openinf up on them they went nuts and busted out a wall and a lot of them get out. I know i hot more than o had down in the trap, but got 5.

So i built another figure 6 trap at the original feeder and baited it up good. What are the odds they show up there tonight? I also rebated the one they hit last night (after making a simple repair that should prevent the same issue)…..

So what are the odds they hit either tonight? I think very low. But i am here and have nothing to do but kill pigs.

Btw, i modified the simple figure 6 with a sort of trip wire, i use a carabiner and a small stick as the trigger, with wire holding the panel open. When a bigger hog trips the wire the small stick breaks and the door swings shut. I havent had much luck at all getting pics to go into a typical figure 6 trap so keeping the door open helped and it worked really well last night, had my panels held at the junction. Heres a pic of the failure and the haul.

Attached Files IMG_9169.jpegIMG_9167.jpeg
Last edited by Texas buckeye; 01/28/24 09:12 PM.
Re: Hog trap 2 days in a row? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8996061 01/28/24 10:33 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Get em

Re: Hog trap 2 days in a row? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8996069 01/28/24 10:44 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Very well done! cheers

Any pictures of the trigger? I'm ramping up and need all the help I can get.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Hog trap 2 days in a row? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8996076 01/28/24 10:53 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I can take one tomorrow, i dont have one right now. But it is simply a carabiner on the opposite panel to the door with a stick holding a wire attached to the panel on tension. When a pig hits the wire, it breaks the stick, and door closes. The problem is finding the right size stick to release without triggering the pig(s) to freak out and run out, and also finding a stick that will hold the tension enough without prematurely breaking. Nice thing about sounders is they are clumsy as a whole, and a mama pug can hit something pretty hard so i am going after sounders here not solo boars.

I will take some pics of the system tomorrow

Re: Hog trap 2 days in a row? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8996091 01/28/24 11:32 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Thank you sir. I'm a slow learner and can't visualize it.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Hog trap 2 days in a row? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8996503 01/29/24 05:38 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
No hogs showed anywhere last night. Scared them off for the time being, which is typical.

Here is a pic of the trigger system i came up with. It may have a flaw if left for too long, in that the panel may lose its recoil as it stayed bent too long. Time will tell on that.

Second pic i highlighted the wire attached to the door since it was near invisible in the pic.

It took just a swipe of my hand to break the twig holding the wire in the carabiner this am and the door swung shut.
When i leave, i just carabiner the door to the outside wall and it is locked shut.
We’ll see how these work over time.

Attached Files IMG_9188.jpegIMG_9187.jpeg
Re: Hog trap 2 days in a row? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8996587 01/29/24 07:59 PM
D
duffas Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I thought figure '6' traps had a progressively smaller entrance to trap them.

Re: Hog trap 2 days in a row? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8996659 01/29/24 10:21 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Typical figure 6 traps do have a progressively smaller entrance that the pig just pushes through and then they cant get out. Like i said i modified this a little so it is an open figure 6 with a trigger. It worked until the hogs busted through the side when i started shooting.

I learned when i want to dispatch the hogs i need to have the fun down on their level so i could shoot straight across at them rather than trying to pepper them from above with no real aim (over the fence). Rookie mistake. I also think a shotgun would have done really good but prob made a bigger mess. Next time…always next time

Re: Hog trap 2 days in a row? [Re: Texas buckeye] #9005455 02/14/24 03:40 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
cheers cool set-up. If they busted threw side.
Reinforce, add 2 extra t-posts ta each panel.
Have noticed some on here say trapping, (large traps)
is the way ta go. Pay professional hog trappers. up

confused2 Been saying this for years, rofl & i get tons of hate.
This is a Hunting Forum. Seen plenty of people on here
offer ta help, spend their money, time. Good guys with guns.
Yet get put down, or the gotta pay ta play.
All the high-tech advantages & yet put down hunters.

This is why i went ta public land. & have have giving my
2cents on the topic. Everyone complains about my typing
spelling grammer, & emoji's. rofl been honest, got D- in grammer.
Out of respect, & being set ta band camp. Have put forth an effort.
All that is not what pee'd people off, they knew, under stood what i was saying.
Seen lots of texts, we're spelling grammer miss used. colt.45 texts.

Hunting is big buck$. Hogs have been trapped,& transported ta other places for $$$ hunts.
Realize people have ta work, can't be 24-7 out thar. & lots of landowners might invite friends
& family ta hog hunt. We're i lived let deer walk. & used trail cams ta monitor hogs. Got on here
ta see if anyone wanted ta do some public land (WMA's) hog hunts. & have seen were hunters
using guns have made a difference. Son & i used the 303 & 30-30 cause we wadded threw water.
Went threw the thick stuff pushed hogs off beds.
Yes, we were more for the food grillen & chillen hunts. But many used AK's. & they put a dent in hogs.
& we, they weren't thar ta trash the place.

Your question bout will the hogs be back ? It's like with crow hunting.
Take out the scouts/ lead crows as they come in. Thars always others ta replace em.
Hunting pleasure keeps the hogs moving. The hogs, (maybe different sounder) will be back.
Like deer, they will smarten up ta the traps, (baiting).
Seen in a different thread. They bringing back poison.
The one that turns the meat blue. Not an expert, but think that's a bigger problem
than letting hunters help out.

It gonna take landowners working with hunters/ trappers.
Just another cheap post.
Keep the pressure on em.
Stay safe.

flag

i'm postaddic
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide