Print Thread
Wyoming DIY Pronghorn Hunt advice??? #8988373 01/15/24 09:10 PM
F
fishhound Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F
A few buddies and I are wanting to try a DIY Pronghorn hunt. We're wanting to do an out of state hunt but a guided hunt seems like it would be out of the budget so we're thinking DIY Pronghorn would be the most affordable and a good chance to be successful.

None of us have hunted Pronghorn in Wyoming before so we're hoping for some advice to steer us in the right direction.

Any recommendations on what unit? Strategy?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Wyoming DIY Pronghorn Hunt advice??? [Re: fishhound] #8988405 01/15/24 09:47 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Check around Douglas there are some large land owners that charge a trespassing fee. Call chamber of commerce and F&G in that area to see if you can get phone numbers/contact info.
You'll need to buy a point this year if you don't get drawn. Also check on the health of the herd in that area and number of animals. Wyoming had a very hard winter last year and population could be down.
Get good at shooting 300+ yards there will be some long shooting.

Good luck.

Re: Wyoming DIY Pronghorn Hunt advice??? [Re: fishhound] #8988458 01/15/24 11:10 PM
F
Fitzwho Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Do you have any points? If you don’t your options in Wyoming will be tough. Willing to go archery? There’s some states that are over the counter for archery.

Permian_Skullworks on Instagram
Re: Wyoming DIY Pronghorn Hunt advice??? [Re: fishhound] #8988926 01/16/24 06:42 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Yep , you need some PPs for Wyoming.
East side might have some areas you can draw with 0-1 PPs but the days of reasonable trespass fees are about over.

If you want to spend more and have better odds of drawing go in the Special draw, $1200 or so I think.

Quotas are not out yet and we may have a hard winter yet to come.
Don't apply until April or so when they release the quotas.

Some areas can be drawn with 0-1 PP but have very little public access and again private access is very hard to find these days but you may find some.
Not sure the Chambers will have lists anymore but doesn't hurt to check with them.
Biologist may have some info, Matt Huizenga is the guy near Douglas and a good guy, I know him. Check with the others too:
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Law-Enforcement/Field-Personnel-Contact-Info/biologist-contact-info

Here is the draw odds page and it will change with the price increase this year, regular draws may be upped on PP required , Special may be easy to draw but who knows:
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Drawing-Odds/2023-Drawing-Odds

Numbers are down in some areas but fine in others. Biologists will know how they are faring for pronghorn so far this winter.
Hunt Planner map shows public and private ground and access areas, look it over.
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunt-Planner/Antelope-Hunting/Antelope-Map

I haven't hunted them all over the state but have been in some good spots, reach out if needed.

Pronghorn are fun to hunt and no guide is needed. If you can draw a decent area for access then a fun hunt is pretty much a guarantee. Great fishing early fall too, bird hunting as well if wanted- blue grouse and sage grouse.
I hate to say it but lots of folks going guided shoot young, 12 inch bucks. 15 inch bucks can be found with patience and good glass.

Re: Wyoming DIY Pronghorn Hunt advice??? [Re: fishhound] #8989105 01/16/24 11:24 PM
Adchunts Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Wytex is spot on as usual. I’ve done three DIY pronghorn hunts in Wyoming with great success. The last couple of winters have hurt the population substantially in some areas. I had three preference points last year and did not draw, so prepare to be patient if you put in for the draw.

Re: Wyoming DIY Pronghorn Hunt advice??? [Re: fishhound] #8989176 01/17/24 12:59 AM
F
fishhound Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F
Thank y'all for the tips. Definitely gives me a starting point.

Re: Wyoming DIY Pronghorn Hunt advice??? [Re: fishhound] #8990029 01/18/24 05:27 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by fishhound
Thank y'all for the tips. Definitely gives me a starting point.

Okla has OTC archery tags, You will have to do a trespass fee but most places are pretty reasonable.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Wyoming DIY Pronghorn Hunt advice??? [Re: fishhound] #8991706 01/22/24 01:15 AM
G
Gillettehunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
G
Be aware that last winter decimated the pronghorn in some units. Others were mostly unscathed. Check with regional biologists. I live in Gillette. Last few trip to Buffalo on I-90 I have seen few antelope. Like maybe 30% of normal. South to Casper seems like about half of normal. To the east of Gillette it seems fine. Been seeing good numbers in that direction. Pick your hunt unit carefully.
Bruce

Re: Wyoming DIY Pronghorn Hunt advice??? [Re: fishhound] #8993719 01/24/24 09:32 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I second Wytex and Gillettehunter. In the early 00s I could get a cheap or free trespass if I went later in the season. I would hang out at the coffee shop or hardware store and talk to the ranchers/farmers that came in. Last hunt i did was in '21 but I had a bunch of points. That was out in the Lander/Riverton area. We went around the 10th of October. It was cool and mostly still but we did have pressure to tag out before a blizzard came in.

Of all the big game hunts pronghorn is the most doable. It's a fun, low impact hunt and the meat is the best if it is taken care of. My last speed goat was munching on sage exclusively but it was still good. There are a few units that are easier to draw that don't have a lot of public land but do have walk in access. My first hunt was one of these and we had opportunities every day.

If you are looking for book level goats you'll need to hunt early. Otherwise, I'd hunt later in the season. The weather is better, mostly, and you'll have the place to yourself. Plus you'll be able to take care of the meat easier. Pronghorn are like opening day of dove season. 8 million people hunt opening day but it dies down after that.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Wyoming DIY Pronghorn Hunt advice??? [Re: fishhound] #8993780 01/24/24 11:39 PM
T
TXNMHunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Do you have any recommendations on units? Not looking for a trophy book buck but just a fun hunt with some mature pronghorns to shoot. Maybe 3-6 point range?

Re: Wyoming DIY Pronghorn Hunt advice??? [Re: fishhound] #8994047 01/25/24 03:16 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
pm sent TXNM

If any of you are interested in paying the Special your odds will be much better this year I think, about $1200.

Winter is looking good so far, but we have another round of very cold coming in mid Feb they are saying, could dump the snow that hurts but we'll see.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide