J
Anyone have first hand experience?

[Linked Image]
Re: Rix thermals [Re: jrfan] #8964801 11/30/23 08:06 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
A little bit. I have hunted with the L3 and L6 and currently own the L6. What do you want to know?

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 11/30/23 08:08 PM.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Rix thermals [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8965228 12/01/23 02:01 PM
J
jrfan Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
J
Looking at the L3. I’m intrigued and don’t know anything about them. I like the idea of their zoom and they have a comparable warranty to other brands. I guess my question is do you recommend?

[Linked Image]
Re: Rix thermals [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8965317 12/01/23 04:07 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
A little bit. I have hunted with the L3 and L6 and currently own the L6. What do you want to know?

DNS, do you know the CoO? Or maybe it's better to ask where they are manufactured...

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Rix thermals [Re: jrfan] #8965443 12/01/23 07:30 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
In my world the COO would be the Chief Operating Officer. I have no idea what a CoO is that you are trying to determine and the letters don't bring up anything on Google that sheds light on what you want.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 12/01/23 07:32 PM.

Re: Rix thermals [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8965446 12/01/23 07:34 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
In my world the COO would be the Chief Operating Officer. I have no idea what a CoO is that you are trying to determine and the letters don't bring up anything on Google that sheds light on what you want.

I think he is trying to say Country of Origin?

Re: Rix thermals [Re: jrfan] #8965460 12/01/23 07:51 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Thank you. The internals are Chinese. Whether or not they are currently assembled here in the US, I am not certain.

Re: Rix thermals [Re: jrfan] #8965541 12/01/23 09:27 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Richardson Tx from what I understand. I wouldn’t buy thermal from a new company but that’s just my opinion.

Re: Rix thermals [Re: jrfan] #8966469 12/03/23 06:30 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
jfran, yeah I would recommend the Rix Leap series. Make sure you do the firmware updates and as far as I know, they have worked out all the bugs. I am very happy with the operation of my scope. Not real happy with the app, but I don't like any of the apps for scopes.

The digital zoom is typical of digital zooms. The optical zoom works about like using a clip-on thermal in front of your daylight scope. You can zoom optically, but you are zooming on a little display screen. It has some advantages, but isn't true optical zoom in the sense of daylight scopes. I like it and will use the zoom to verify I am in focus because as you zoom optically, you slight misfocus becomes apparent.

Re: Rix thermals [Re: jrfan] #8968596 12/06/23 05:10 AM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
They are made by InfiRay in China and branded for Rix.

As DNS mentioned, they do not have true optical zoom and I do not believe they should be marketed that way. I have ethical concerns over that claim. It is honestly an "ocular zoom" because as DNS said you're just zooming in on the display screen, literally just magnifying the screen so it gets closer to your eye. That's why you can't see the zoom in any recorded videos, except the normal digital zoom. It's an interesting feature and nothing at all wrong with having it. It's just the fact that it's called optical zoom when it's not and optical zoom is a new and very rare feature in consumer hunting thermal optics and to date there is no true continuous optical zoom in consumer thermals.

I suspect the optics are well made since InfiRay is making them but InfiRay will make things to the specifications a company desires and the fact that they are noticeably cheaper than the InfiRay Outdoor branded optics makes you question why? And if they are as good as the InfiRay Outdoor products, then why would they let themselves get under cut by a brand they are making optics for? Seems weird. Hopefully the Rix service and support will be good. That's something only time will tell.

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
The Late Night Vision Show - Co-Host
[Linked Image]
Night Vision, Thermal & Accessories
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Rix thermals [Re: jrfan] #8968795 12/06/23 05:25 PM
R
Rob M Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Good info as always from DNS and Outdoor Legacy! Saw the optical zoom claim last night and quickly questioned it, so glad to get verification of that.

[Linked Image]
Re: Rix thermals [Re: jrfan] #8968904 12/06/23 08:54 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I know Jason would like to call it by another name. I get that that. However, it is still "optical zoom" where the zoom brings the image closer through physical lens(es) movement which is an optical process. All of this does happen in the RIX, just not of the outside world image. Jason is right in that this is ocular zoom, but ocular zoom IS a type of optical zoom. The difference is what is being viewed by the process, not the process itself.

Rix is the first company on the bubble, so to speak, working through this new concept. Maybe the term will stick, maybe not. Maybe the type of zoom will stick. Maybe not. Maybe as other companies join in (if they join in) the terminology will be refined. "Ocular zoom" would be more descriptively appropriate, but given that there is currently no other consumer thermals on the market with traditional daylight scope kind of continuous optical zoom, Rix has claimed it, for now, anyways.

The only other folks doing optical zoom, non-continuous, is InfiRay. If they are in cahoots with Rix as Jason suggests, then they aren't going to balk at the naming, either.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 12/06/23 08:55 PM.

Re: Rix thermals [Re: jrfan] #8981704 01/03/24 07:24 PM
D
DStroud Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Got an L6 headed my way. Looking forward to giving it a run for this contest season.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Rix thermals [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8982060 01/04/24 03:26 PM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I
I know Jason would like to call it by another name. I get that that. However, it is still "optical zoom" where the zoom brings the image closer through physical lens(es) movement which is an optical process. All of this does happen in the RIX, just not of the outside world image. Jason is right in that this is ocular zoom, but ocular zoom IS a type of optical zoom. The difference is what is being viewed by the process, not the process itself.

Rix is the first company on the bubble, so to speak, working through this new concept. Maybe the term will stick, maybe not. Maybe the type of zoom will stick. Maybe not. Maybe as other companies join in (if they join in) the terminology will be refined. "Ocular zoom" would be more descriptively appropriate, but given that there is currently no other consumer thermals on the market with traditional daylight scope kind of continuous optical zoom, Rix has claimed it, for now, anyways.

The only other folks doing optical zoom, non-continuous, is InfiRay. If they are in cahoots with Rix as Jason suggests, then they aren't going to balk at the naming, either.

I don't disagree with any of that DNS. Fair points all around.

I have nothing personally against Rix, as we've been in discussions with them for months and we have a sit down meeting planned in a couple weeks. We may very well become a dealer depending on some concerns we have being resolved/answered etc. They seem like a good company but regardless of this, I just don't like calling a feature (that is unique in it's own right) something that is deceptive and confusing it with a feature every daytime rifle scope and higher end camera owner knows and understands. That's my only real beef. Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill but our motto has been "taking the confusion out of Night Vision and Thermal Optics" for a vand we aren't even selling their optics yet.ery long time and I just think the term they chose has caused great deals of confusion amongst buyers and potential buyers.

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
[Linked Image]
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Rix thermals [Re: jrfan] #8982186 01/04/24 08:46 PM
D
duffas Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
D
So it is like normal scope mag (with diopter adj), but on the display. Saves processing power, just map the raster scan to the display with aliasing. But resolution decreases with image lens mag. just like the rest of the digital scopes. Objective lens mag increases resolution as it is a single lens system on the detector array.

Last edited by duffas; 01/04/24 08:46 PM.
Re: Rix thermals [Re: jrfan] #8983715 01/08/24 01:31 AM
D
DStroud Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
First weekend impressions were positive. I had the IRay Bolt 50 prior and this scope is comparable. Battery life was good with only issue so far was while sighting in first shot scope went black. Looked and hinged battery door had popped open. Closed it again so far hasn’t happened again so blaming operator error but something to be watchful about.
Good day/ night with light winds and no fog.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DStroud; 01/08/24 01:31 AM.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Rix thermals [Re: jrfan] #8983754 01/08/24 02:45 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
How long for all to do all that damage and what county(s)?

Re: Rix thermals [Re: jrfan] #8983778 01/08/24 03:43 AM
D
DStroud Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Saturday afternoon thru Sunday morning. Team effort in contest. Here in central Tx.

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Rix thermals [Re: jrfan] #8983990 01/08/24 04:57 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Looked and hinged battery door had popped open. Closed it again so far hasn’t happened again so blaming operator error but something to be watchful about.

When you close the battery door, there is a little tab that swinging into position with a spring. If you don't close the door fully or if it is a tight fit, the the latch connected to the tab doesn't get to fully engage. So upon putting in a new battery each time, close the door and then pull up on the tab with your index finger to make sure it is in the fully locked position.

I discovered with when using button-top batteries that make for a tighter fit.

Re: Rix thermals [Re: jrfan] #8984587 01/09/24 03:46 PM
R
red stick Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Just watched a coyote hunt from "Own the Hunt" and he's having video corruption issues. Quote, "Oh yes it functions flawlessly but the video corruption issue is something I can’t ignore because I need reliable footage to make these videos for my loyal viewers like you". He loves the scope otherwise.

Re: Rix thermals [Re: jrfan] #8984609 01/09/24 04:15 PM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
We've got the Rix in our hands doing field testing now. They are definitely well built scopes for the money and we're suckers for anything with an 18650. There are a few minor annoyances but so far we've never found a perfect thermal scope, so that's to be expected. They definitely seem to be a fair value for the dollar.

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
[Linked Image]
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Rix thermals [Re: red stick] #8985546 01/11/24 03:01 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by red stick
Just watched a coyote hunt from "Own the Hunt" and he's having video corruption issues. Quote, "Oh yes it functions flawlessly but the video corruption issue is something I can’t ignore because I need reliable footage to make these videos for my loyal viewers like you". He loves the scope otherwise.

I don't know what he is or isn't doing. He is pro staff (so I am as of a couple of weeks ago, for full disclosure). I have experienced multiple issues, most of which were done away with after the 2nd update. I have had several supposed corrupt videos, only to find that they were only corrupt if I tried to download from the app. Once I got home and downloaded via USB to the computer, no problem.

The initial problem and seen on at least one of his videos is the jumping or skipping image while still recording audio. Mine definitely had that until after the 2nd update. I don't know if he has updated or not.

My biggest hassle has been the clock resetting to 2014 and me not realizing it and not finding files in the folder from the correct date because they are saved to the folder from 2014. The clock issue was an uncharged clock battery that users can charge by plugging in the USB to the scope from a charger or computer and letting the battery charge that way (with the scope ON). This does not charge the 18650 battery, only the internal clock battery.

To be fair to Rix, video and video/audio issues have plagued virtually every company that has put onboard recording on their scope. It took Pulsar several months to bring audio to the Trail and when they did, it wasn't sync'd. If you want a lot of ATN videos, you will see the audio and video are not syncing together, the sound of the shot often being 0.5-2.0 seconds behind the motion of the recoil. AGM had some issues that they got worked out (corrupted or failed save files?). Bering Optics is just staying with the silent videos (not audio). Nox and Trijicon don't even attempt onboard recording.

I don't know what it is, but video and video/audio together are just a major challenge for some reason despite the fact that such recording technology isn't particular new, special, or high end.

I will also add that every rollout has some glitches. None of us like it, but that is reality. What matters is whether or not the company addresses the issue(s) and how well.

Given how I have seen the folks at Rix respond to issues so far, I don't doubt that they will work out this issues in fairly short order as other companies have done.

Re: Rix thermals [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8985715 01/11/24 02:36 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
The clock issue was an uncharged clock battery that users can charge by plugging in the USB to the scope from a charger or computer and letting the battery charge that way (with the scope ON). This does not charge the 18650 battery, only the internal clock battery.

Is that a commonly used charging scheme, or is it unique to Rix? It seems to me that the manuals we get with thermal scopes are pretty stingy with useful info.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Rix thermals [Re: jrfan] #8985909 01/11/24 07:52 PM
Funkeruski Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Very interesting scopes. I have heard that the view through the scope is much better than what is seen on the videos. I hope that is the case because the video quality is not great in my opinion. Video from my 384 Super Hogster looks better than what I have seen the Rix 640. Hopefully, that can be addressed and improved with a firmware update.

Re: Rix thermals [Re: RiverRider] #8986223 01/12/24 06:32 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by RiverRider
The clock issue was an uncharged clock battery that users can charge by plugging in the USB to the scope from a charger or computer and letting the battery charge that way (with the scope ON). This does not charge the 18650 battery, only the internal clock battery.

Is that a commonly used charging scheme, or is it unique to Rix? It seems to me that the manuals we get with thermal scopes are pretty stingy with useful info.

Apparently, unique to Rix.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide