Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8982168 01/04/24 08:04 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
No difference between that and hunting a truly large Texas ranch that uses similar management practices. The ones with the deepest pockets will always have the best access to the best properties.

There is no such thing as guaranteed kills without a truly penned animal. But there are some that won’t take your money unless you are successful.

there are assumptions and reality. Taking a perception and using it as a blanket approach is mental gymnastics at its lowest.

There are no doubt, over stocked pens out there but there are also LF operations that offer similar or same success rates as the majority of HF operations.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: HunterGuy] #8982177 01/04/24 08:20 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
That statement about money is for the most part, true; big money gets big trips, get big opportunities, gets giant deer, elk, fish, bla, bla, that even applies to high fence. I don’t think that’s a debate. Nothing wrong with it; just life.

Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8982190 01/04/24 08:52 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
No difference between that and hunting a truly large Texas ranch that uses similar management practices. The ones with the deepest pockets will always have the best access to the best properties.

There is no such thing as guaranteed kills without a truly penned animal. But there are some that won’t take your money unless you are successful.

there are assumptions and reality. Taking a perception and using it as a blanket approach is mental gymnastics at its lowest.

There are no doubt, over stocked pens out there but there are also LF operations that offer similar or same success rates as the majority of HF operations.

I agree with you. But what about the blanket statements coming from the other side? Like “a pen is a pen”. The primary motivation behind this mindset, is “i am a better person than you because i think it’s unethical to hunt behind a high fence”. IMO it’s no different than a college kid with a bunch of anti-et cetera stickers on their laptop.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: HunterGuy] #8982191 01/04/24 08:53 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
It’s like anti-hunters. Most eat factory farmed meat. It’s virtue signaling pure and simple.

Edit- i should probably add, just because you have the best access to the best property doesnt mean a better hunter can’t outdo you somewhere else, with less.

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 01/04/24 09:03 PM.

Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: HunterGuy] #8982216 01/04/24 09:49 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Nothing brings out either pure jealousy or an inferiority complex better than a discussion about High Fences....

High fences are a tool a land owner uses to get their desired outcome....sometimes that is bigger buck antlers. Sometimes that is keeping "brown its down" shooters from ruining a management plan, sometimes it a paid hunter that pays dearly to enable the property owner to continue owning said property. Lots of reasons, but they all have an end goal in mind. No one just PUTS UP a high fence "just for the fun of it".

People on this forum that complain about high fences are still using high power rifles, with scopes and in texas most are hunting over a feeder that is filled with deer food. These are things others in other states see as much an advantage as some in TX see a HF for shooting bigger deer. To take the example a little further, none of us are chasing a deer off a cliff or strangling them with our bare hands or doing anything "au naturale"...we all have advantages of some sort and each state determines which advantage they want to make legal and which to make illegal. As long as we are abiding by the rules set forth by the state you are hunting in, have at it, enjoy, and don't bad mouth anyone for doing what they want legally.

Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8982221 01/04/24 10:02 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Nothing brings out either pure jealousy or an inferiority complex better than a discussion about High Fences....

High fences are a tool a land owner uses to get their desired outcome....sometimes that is bigger buck antlers. Sometimes that is keeping "brown its down" shooters from ruining a management plan, sometimes it a paid hunter that pays dearly to enable the property owner to continue owning said property. Lots of reasons, but they all have an end goal in mind. No one just PUTS UP a high fence "just for the fun of it".

People on this forum that complain about high fences are still using high power rifles, with scopes and in texas most are hunting over a feeder that is filled with deer food. These are things others in other states see as much an advantage as some in TX see a HF for shooting bigger deer. To take the example a little further, none of us are chasing a deer off a cliff or strangling them with our bare hands or doing anything "au naturale"...we all have advantages of some sort and each state determines which advantage they want to make legal and which to make illegal. As long as we are abiding by the rules set forth by the state you are hunting in, have at it, enjoy, and don't bad mouth anyone for doing what they want legally.

up

All the high fence hunts are outside my budget. A well managed low fence hunt is way out of my budget. And i just don’t have time to find and manage a lease. But i don’t look down on anybody else that can.

I spend a precious few hours every year on public ground near my home and i have seen a buck that anyone would be proud of. But I am always trying to save/plan for a paid hunt, high fence or no fence whatever fits my time and budgetary constraints. It just never works out. I am not gonna let that turn me against those who can. I hope one day i can afford to go on a $30k guided elk hunt on a big no fence place.

I feel like the gist of it is high fence or high horse, pick your side

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 01/04/24 10:13 PM.

Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: HunterGuy] #8982232 01/04/24 10:12 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Just FYI, a big elk hunt doesn't have to cost 30K....you can get into a really nice elk hunt for around half of that for a real chance to shoot a monster (375-400+), and if willing to shoot something in the 300' range for around 9K up in OK, with food and lodging and beer/wine too.

Don't let the high rollers fool you, an elk can be had for much less than 30K. Of course there is also NM or COL public land with much lower success rates and DIY hunting, lodging, food and processing....

Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: HunterGuy] #8982233 01/04/24 10:18 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I feel pretty confident i could at least kill a cow elk on a OTC tag with my bow. Just based purely on my land nav skills and willingness to explore. When you think you might be lost the fun is just getting started. But only if i had a couple weeks to figure it out and seal the deal.

I am planning to attempt an OTC archery elk hunt.

Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8982245 01/04/24 10:52 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
[quote=Huntmaster]I also think/know if someone had a 25,000 high fence ranch; with one fence surrounding the property, there are going to be multiple fences within the high fence to “channel or funnel “ deer or cattle to a specific location. Feeding is usually done at specific places. Properties operating for a profit are not going to have multiple Joe Blows coming different days of the week, and not know where the deer or game is located on that 25,000 acres. The Cotton Mess ranch, which is 10,000 acres will make sure you get your $4500 elk or $75,000 elk… you choose, you go, you shoot. And B&C will not recognize those elk.

I have actually hunted a Texas +-25k HF ranch. There was no funneling or HF cross fences. Just perimeter fencing. One of the harder hunts for WT’s Ive been on

I hunt a CO LF ranch and pass a min of 10 200-330 archery bulls… every year. We have killed 3 370 bulls in two years. Biggest difference CM is cheaper, and you can grab a rifle in archery season. Success rates per weapon are about the same.

B&C is a JOKE. It has completely lost its way. The whole point of the scoring system was to highlight areas with exceptional age class, nutrition and genetics. Now you pay to enter your paid for trophy to highlight yourself not the animal or management/conservation efforts.

The B&C deer I shot was on a LF ranch that I worked my butt off to manage properly along with many conservation efforts. My entering my deer with them had nothing to do with "highlighting" myself but rather to share with others what good management can produce. I share pictures on this forum for the same reason.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: HunterGuy] #8982270 01/04/24 11:45 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by HunterGuy
Do yall think hunting 25k acres high fence is fair chase? Heard that people will say its like shooting fish in a barrel. just wondering what are yalls opinions on large high fence game ranches.

Short answer is no, it is not fair chase. Before someone wrongly misinterprets my answer. There is no jealousy or ill will towards high fence hunting on my part.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8982296 01/05/24 12:36 AM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J

All the high fence hunts are outside my budget. A well managed low fence hunt is way out of my budget. And i just don’t have time to find and manage a lease. But i don’t look down on anybody else that can.

I spend a precious few hours every year on public ground near my home and i have seen a buck that anyone would be proud of. But I am always trying to save/plan for a paid hunt, high fence or no fence whatever fits my time and budgetary constraints. It just never works out. I am not gonna let that turn me against those who can. I hope one day i can afford to go on a $30k guided elk hunt on a big no fence place.

Brian, you should consider saving up about $6k and going to Namibia. I've done so 5 different times, 4 of those were on "management" hunts consisting of 10 cull animals they want you to shoot. I shot over 60 head of red hartebeest, gemsbok, impala, wildebeest, springbok, zebra, and a few kudu. The place I hunted had 40k high fenced acres, and 500k low fenced acres to hunt your asss off for 8 days. No shooting from the truck, all spot and stalk. Including airfare I was around $6k per hunt. It is an unbelievable experience, and by the way, I never even saw the high fence while hunting that property. You can go 2-3 times for the cost of that trophy elk hunt, or mule deer hunt anymore.

Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: HunterGuy] #8982298 01/05/24 12:37 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
This one has remained entirely too civil. frown

[Linked Image]

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: Jgraider] #8982328 01/05/24 01:36 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Jgraider

Brian, you should consider saving up about $6k and going to Namibia. I've done so 5 different times, 4 of those were on "management" hunts consisting of 10 cull animals they want you to shoot. I shot over 60 head of red hartebeest, gemsbok, impala, wildebeest, springbok, zebra, and a few kudu. The place I hunted had 40k high fenced acres, and 500k low fenced acres to hunt your asss off for 8 days. No shooting from the truck, all spot and stalk. Including airfare I was around $6k per hunt. It is an unbelievable experience, and by the way, I never even saw the high fence while hunting that property. You can go 2-3 times for the cost of that trophy elk hunt, or mule deer hunt anymore.

up

Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: Creekrunner] #8982331 01/05/24 01:38 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
This one has remained entirely too civil. frown

[Linked Image]

Welp we all either grew up some and/or changed our minds on it. A few new members that don’t know better would get the pot stirred up.

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 01/05/24 01:39 AM.

Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: tlk] #8982337 01/05/24 01:51 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by tlk
[quote=Huntmaster]I also think/know if someone had a 25,000 high fence ranch; with one fence surrounding the property, there are going to be multiple fences within the high fence to “channel or funnel “ deer or cattle to a specific location. Feeding is usually done at specific places. Properties operating for a profit are not going to have multiple Joe Blows coming different days of the week, and not know where the deer or game is located on that 25,000 acres. The Cotton Mess ranch, which is 10,000 acres will make sure you get your $4500 elk or $75,000 elk… you choose, you go, you shoot. And B&C will not recognize those elk.

I have actually hunted a Texas +-25k HF ranch. There was no funneling or HF cross fences. Just perimeter fencing. One of the harder hunts for WT’s Ive been on

I hunt a CO LF ranch and pass a min of 10 200-330 archery bulls… every year. We have killed 3 370 bulls in two years. Biggest difference CM is cheaper, and you can grab a rifle in archery season. Success rates per weapon are about the same.

B&C is a JOKE. It has completely lost its way. The whole point of the scoring system was to highlight areas with exceptional age class, nutrition and genetics. Now you pay to enter your paid for trophy to highlight yourself not the animal or management/conservation efforts.

The B&C deer I shot was on a LF ranch that I worked my butt off to manage properly along with many conservation efforts. My entering my deer with them had nothing to do with "highlighting" myself but rather to share with others what good management can produce. I share pictures on this forum for the same reason.

difference between you and I. I have never entered or posted mine. Infact I dont post dead pics of anything, Just live pics of specifically “midsized” deer to help with aging. I get you are proud of your lease and its accomplishments, but remember perception isnt always fair.

Im all for John Doe entries.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8982362 01/05/24 02:36 AM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by tlk

difference between you and I. I have never entered or posted mine. Infact I dont post dead pics of anything, Just live pics of specifically “midsized” deer to help with aging. I get you are proud of your lease and its accomplishments, but remember perception isnt always fair.

I always wonder reading these posts. Why don’t you post dead pics? I know I won’t change your mind but know many would love to see them. To each their own I guess we just aren’t in the click.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: HunterGuy] #8982363 01/05/24 02:43 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Well if i ever kill anything that qualifies for a record book of any kind, i will be that guy. It will be on facebook and all the forums. Every chance i get i will say “remember that one time…”. God help us all if i ever kill a record book whitetail on public ground with my trad bow. I will be on every internet forum telling something along the lines “all you need is a 50 pound bow and a hunnerd grain muzzy or a zwickey on there”. Big if but if it happens, just better stand by for my shenanigans!

And i will use my name!

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 01/05/24 02:44 AM.

Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: HunterGuy] #8982369 01/05/24 03:00 AM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Most people would post a true B&C record breaker. Human nature.

Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: HunterGuy] #8982383 01/05/24 04:02 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I hog hunted an 850 acre high fence that had stuff like blackbuck, scimitar oryx, fallow deer, elk and native deer, but they didn't want hogs. Hogs got in via a hole in the fence and with the fence mended came the task of dealing with hogs. I can't say that being inside the fence made an iota of difference to the hunting. There were enough trees and elevation changes that it would not have mattered that much if it was high fence or low fence. Most shots were inside 150 yards and then the hogs were gone. They seemed very good at finding places to hide and even the landowners hardly saw them in the daytime despite working the ranch.

Getting on hogs on any given night was anything but a sure thing. The only benefit I felt about hunting at the high fence was that I knew any hogs I didn't get this time likely would be there next time, possibly more if sows have given birth.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: redchevy] #8982394 01/05/24 04:58 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by redchevy
Originally Posted by tlk

I always wonder reading these posts. Why don’t you post dead pics? I know I won’t change your mind but know many would love to see them. To each their own I guess we just aren’t in the click.

1) is it relative and relatable or ego.
2) not worth loosing access or poaching
3) whats the benefit?

Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: Huntmaster] #8982447 01/05/24 02:17 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by Huntmaster

I entered my mule deer, but not the antelope. Guess I'm 50% guilty as charged.

Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: HunterGuy] #8982454 01/05/24 02:36 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I read every post of this thread. I am amazed at the lack of judgemental posts. But glad to see it.

One of my favorite things is life is my customers sending me pictures of animals they've taken. Maybe they came out for training, maybe load development and ammo, maybe both. But we've built at least some sort of relationship, at any rate. Pictures of men holding something they killed. Pictures of their wives and children holding something they killed. Huge smiles on everyone's faces. I am their biggest cheerleaders and giving out congratulations every time.

Not once have I asked if any animal came from a high fence or low fence piece of property. I do not care. And it would be rude to ask.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: Huntmaster] #8982481 01/05/24 03:05 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Huntmaster

actually more and more dont. Kills draw odds, causes Loss of leases, poaching etc.

You know how many leases on this forum have been lost or experienced big price increases because of photos(cleaned and uncleaned) ?

Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: HunterGuy] #8982504 01/05/24 03:48 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
My rocky mt bighorn is in the book. Taken on a DIY hunt, am I proud of it, yes I am.
I wanted our area to get some recognition for the management they have done on the sheep herds, book sheep get taken in there and it is a DIY type of area.
My book pronghorn is not listed even though it also comes from an area not known for trophy animals.

Good point BOBO on the loss of leases and poaching, yep some folks will do almost anything for a chance at a book animal. and money talks with most folks too.

Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: Wytex] #8982516 01/05/24 03:56 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Wytex
My rocky mt bighorn is in the book. Taken on a DIY hunt, am I proud of it, yes I am.
I wanted our area to get some recognition for the management they have done on the sheep herds, book sheep get taken in there and it is a DIY type of area.
My book pronghorn is not listed even though it also comes from an area not known for trophy animals.

Good point BOBO on the loss of leases and poaching, yep some folks will do almost anything for a chance at a book animal. and money talks with most folks too.

Not that my opinion matters out side of me, but as you highlighted Sheep still fall under the original B&C methodology IMO, even with LO tag a net 175 sheep wasnt raised. You also arent messing up draw odds.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide