Print Thread
DEER “POINTS “ #8980288 12/31/23 01:10 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
H
Just wondering; when you’re hunting with a kid…or for yourself; do you tell him he shot a eight point (every point counts) or if you can hang a ring on it, it’s a point. Or do you use the 1” rule and tell him he shot a 5 point? The other points don’t count.

Re: DEER “POINTS “ [Re: Huntmaster] #8980296 12/31/23 01:41 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
When I was a kid, my hunting mentors in OK used the "hang a ring on it" method. But that's the method they used for everyone regardless of age. They still do. I use the 1" method, going so far as to differentiate a 10 point from a mainframe 8 with 2 kickers. Score the kids deer how you Score your own. That doesn't mean you say " he's only a small 5 point." You can say " that's a really nice 5 point. Awesome!" The kid will be excited about his deer if you are excited about it regardless of size.

Last edited by unclebubba; 12/31/23 01:49 PM.

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: DEER “POINTS “ [Re: Huntmaster] #8980315 12/31/23 02:38 PM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Whats wrong with a 5 point... confused2

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: DEER “POINTS “ [Re: Huntmaster] #8980324 12/31/23 03:22 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I would tell him he shot an 8 point, so that I was being a good influence on him, grammatically.

Re: DEER “POINTS “ [Re: unclebubba] #8980485 12/31/23 11:00 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by unclebubba
When I was a kid, my hunting mentors in OK used the "hang a ring on it" method. But that's the method they used for everyone regardless of age. They still do. I use the 1" method, going so far as to differentiate a 10 point from a mainframe 8 with 2 kickers. Score the kids deer how you Score your own. That doesn't mean you say " he's only a small 5 point." You can say " that's a really nice 5 point. Awesome!" The kid will be excited about his deer if you are excited about it regardless of size.

^^^ agree with all this

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: DEER “POINTS “ [Re: Huntmaster] #8980668 01/01/24 03:00 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
If a young hunter makes an ethical shot where they aim and achieve a quick kill that’s a great deer regardless of point count IMO….

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: DEER “POINTS “ [Re: Huntmaster] #8980727 01/01/24 05:27 PM
B
batman Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Length of points only matters if scoring for a “book”, let the kid have an 8 point.

Re: DEER “POINTS “ [Re: Huntmaster] #8980906 01/02/24 12:19 AM
N
notamtchance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
I guess it really only matters if you are teaching him how to score a big. If you teach him both ways he will learn the difference and can make an informed decision on his own. Education is the key here. Either way be happy for him.

Last edited by notamtchance; 01/02/24 12:20 AM.

If I'm not hunting something I must be dead.
Re: DEER “POINTS “ [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #8980924 01/02/24 01:04 AM
JimBridger Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
If a young hunter makes an ethical shot where they aim and achieve a quick kill that’s a great deer regardless of point count IMO….

Well said!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: DEER “POINTS “ [Re: notamtchance] #8980996 01/02/24 04:02 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by notamtchance
I guess it really only matters if you are teaching him how to score a big. If you teach him both ways he will learn the difference and can make an informed decision on his own. Education is the key here. Either way be happy for him.

Yeah, this isn’t complicated. I knew the difference before I killed my first deer. And nobody told me, specifically. I just heard the guys talking about it in camp when I was a kid.

Re: DEER “POINTS “ [Re: Huntmaster] #8981137 01/02/24 03:58 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
Points shouldn't matter to a kid just starting out. If they do then the kid is being taught to hunt for the wrong reasons.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: DEER “POINTS “ [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #8981187 01/02/24 06:18 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by QMC SW/EXW
Points shouldn't matter to a kid just starting out. If they do then the kid is being taught to hunt for the wrong reasons.

That's your opinion and you're wrong for judging a parent for not imparting your idea of what matters when it comes to hunting. Teach your kids whatever you want, I won't judge you. You ever been in a boat with kids fishing and they're pulling them in, and all of a sudden one lands a 5 lb'r.? Points may not matter to you but I promise you they do to a kid.

We shot does, spikes.... a four point was a trophy when we were kids. If a kid shoots a buck with a rack, no way I'm not counting what he or she considers a point and making them feel like Davey Crockett for a good hunt. A lot of parents raise their kids to know what a mature trophy is, allow them to shoot does and small bucks to scratch the itch and keep them interested while always hoping for a monster buck.

There's a video on this site from a few years ago of Sapper Titan's kid being with him when Sapper killed a record book Mule Deer. Watch it and try to tell me that somebody did something wrong to get that kid to feel that way about "points".

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: DEER “POINTS “ [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8981237 01/02/24 08:23 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

That's your opinion and you're wrong for judging a parent

I didn't judge anybody Moron. To a kid just starting out any deer should be considered a great deer without getting wrapped up about points or score. If all a kid learns to think about is points and score then they are missing out on the important aspects of hunting.

Retired Navy Chief
Re: DEER “POINTS “ [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #8981255 01/02/24 08:54 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

I didn't judge anybody Moron. To a kid just starting out any deer should be considered a great deer without getting wrapped up about points or score. If all a kid learns to think about is points and score then they are missing out on the important aspects of hunting.

Your statement that horns shouldn't matter, and that if they do a kid is being taught for the wrong reasons is a judgement. What else is your opinion that a kid was taught for the wrong reason if it is not a judgement? You're not very bright or you could make your point without name calling. Do you teach high school, or attend as a student?

Re: DEER “POINTS “ [Re: Huntmaster] #8981282 01/02/24 09:55 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
60+ years ago when I got started hunting, no one ever made reference to "score" ... the questions asked were how many points and how wide of a spread. Back then as a kid, anything with "horns" was a trophy and I was very trigger happy (brown it's down). As I have matured both in age and my hunting experience, I have adopted my shots on bucks based on age mainly to insure fully mature. In teaching my now adult son over the past 25+ years and now my young grandkids, teaching them how to judge age first while setting on stand or even while driving helps them to better understand and realize the difference on maturity of the deer. And depending on where we are hunting, along with the rules/expectations for a given ranch, they can make the determination of what or what not to shoot. We usually let the grands take our mature culls when we have the tags available. We never want to take the excitement out of the experience and for now, they are good with shooting hogs, does and culls.

to each they own, I won't tell anyone the way they hunt is wrong as long as it's legal.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: DEER “POINTS “ [Re: Huntmaster] #8981310 01/02/24 10:44 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Opinions+hunting+kids = someone bowing up.

On a recent moose hunt I was on, the guides, amongst themselves, counted every little bump. You couldn't hang a ring on many of the "points" of my bull.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: DEER “POINTS “ [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8981414 01/03/24 02:13 AM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q

Your statement that horns shouldn't matter

No. What I said was the number of points shouldnt matter. Their first buck should be considered the best deer taken in the entire state, even if it is a spindly fork horn. Let a new hunter enjoy being successful. Let a new hunter learn how to field dress their deer. Let a new hunter enjoy a tendrrloin off their first deer. Teach a new hunter that the number of points is not the most important part of the hunt. They have a lifetime to compare bucks later.

The first buck I ever took at the age of 9 was a fork horn mulie. Nobody will ever convince me that wasnt the best buck taken in the state that year. My grandfather mounted those antlers and despite more than 100 more deer, 25 elk, 18 pronghorn, 4 bison, 3 black bear, 3 alligators, bighorn sheep, mountain goat and the results of 5 trips to Africa that fork horn mulie rack holds the place of honor.

I am a teacher. You are a fool

Retired Navy Chief
Re: DEER “POINTS “ [Re: Huntmaster] #8981432 01/03/24 02:43 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
@QMC SW/EXW:

I was right, you're not very bright. Your attempt to insult me is either an incomplete sentence or lacking punctuation. I'm thankful that it's ROTC and not math, English or science that you "teach". You're also insecure as demonstrated by your constant need to brag about yourself. You really should get some help. The name calling you do is not a good sign.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide