Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Pick a thermal sight from Cabelas #8976044 12/21/23 03:13 AM
BigRon Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Looking for specific recommendations. I am using my Cabelas points to purchase a thermal sight. Please keep in mind that I have to buy from Cabelas or Bass Pro to use the points. Budget is about $2,500. Realistically, between operating our small business and livestock related chores, I probably will get to hunt with the thermal scope 8 or 10 nights a year. Pigs and possibly coyotes will be hunted. The coyotes on our place come in real close to the house, barn and stables after dark.

The Pulsar scopes are not in my price range. These thermals are in my price range.

Burris BTS35

Sig Sauer Echo 3

X Vision Optics Impact 100

AGM Global Rattler

I would appreciate your input as I am not very knowledgable on thermals.

God is so good to me.
Re: Pick a thermal sight from Cabelas [Re: BigRon] #8976047 12/21/23 03:20 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Rattler

[Linked Image]
Re: Pick a thermal sight from Cabelas [Re: BigRon] #8976055 12/21/23 03:55 AM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
The Rattler is the only legit thermal scope in that lineup and it will do you well. Please don't take this as an insult but I'd spend the $2,500 of points on insulated underwear before I wasted $5 of it on any of those optics listed EXCEPT the Rattler.

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
The Late Night Vision Show - Co-Host
[Linked Image]
Night Vision, Thermal & Accessories
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Pick a thermal sight from Cabelas [Re: BigRon] #8976071 12/21/23 06:49 AM
A
Alan S. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
I'm also a thermal newbie but have the Burris BTS35 and it's been pretty good for the past year or more.

Unfortunately I don't have experience w the others but do suggest getting some batteries and a good charger for whatever you choose.
Good Luck!

Re: Pick a thermal sight from Cabelas [Re: BigRon] #8976101 12/21/23 12:59 PM
S
scot Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Re: Pick a thermal sight from Cabelas [Re: BigRon] #8976270 12/21/23 06:00 PM
BigRon Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
I appreciate all of the advice. All of my thermal sight experience was on the M60A3 TTS (Tank Thermal Sight) almost 40 years ago. I have no experience whatsoever with current thermal imaging scopes.

God is so good to me.
Re: Pick a thermal sight from Cabelas [Re: scot] #8976342 12/21/23 09:10 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
The Sig Echo is a bit of a joke. The Burris and X Vision are basically the same hardware, maybe with slightly different firmware, from different companies, but the bottom line is that they are kit scopes companies resale. Nothing wrong with that, but there isn't much difference in these two choices.

Rattler-Agreed, but don't by from Cabela's.

Originally Posted by scot

If only there was a dealer on the board, or in this thread, that sold Rattlers, somebody known to the community and that could be trusted. If only...

But wait, there is.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Pick a thermal sight from Cabelas [Re: BigRon] #8976646 12/22/23 02:45 PM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Strongly consider buying a quality digital nv scope and a thermal monocular instead of the rifle scope. Otherwise you will end up buying two thermal units, which is fine if that’s what you want.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Pick a thermal sight from Cabelas [Re: syncerus] #8976697 12/22/23 04:51 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted by syncerus
Strongly consider buying a quality digital nv scope and a thermal monocular instead of the rifle scope. Otherwise you will end up buying two thermal units, which is fine if that’s what you want.

Very good advice. You'll want a thermal sight at some point, but getting your hands on a thermal scanner right off the bat will make night hunting MUCH easier and more pleasant. When you're sitting in the dark unable to see a thing you'll want to have a look around you every 3 to 5 to 10 or 15 minutes (or whatever), and having to look through a thermal scope on a rifle to do this is tiring, inconvenient, and could even be dangerous.

I've used one DNV weapon sight...I believe it was the Photon XT 4.6x. It was not a bad scope at all, but I'm pretty confident that what's available now is much better. Another thing you'll want besides a thermal scanner and a DNV sight is an external IR illuminator to augment the DNV (unless they've vastly improved the built-in illuminators). With my old Photon, I basically doubled the range I could see by adding a cheap IR illuminator to my rifle.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Pick a thermal sight from Cabelas [Re: RiverRider] #8976863 12/22/23 10:52 PM
BigRon Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by syncerus

Very good advice. You'll want a thermal sight at some point, but getting your hands on a thermal scanner right off the bat will make night hunting MUCH easier and more pleasant. When you're sitting in the dark unable to see a thing you'll want to have a look around you every 3 to 5 to 10 or 15 minutes (or whatever), and having to look through a thermal scope on a rifle to do this is tiring, inconvenient, and could even be dangerous.

I've used one DNV weapon sight...I believe it was the Photon XT 4.6x. It was not a bad scope at all, but I'm pretty confident that what's available now is much better. Another thing you'll want besides a thermal scanner and a DNV sight is an external IR illuminator to augment the DNV (unless they've vastly improved the built-in illuminators). With my old Photon, I basically doubled the range I could see by adding a cheap IR illuminator to my rifle.

I've got some homework to do now. Thanks

God is so good to me.
Re: Pick a thermal sight from Cabelas [Re: BigRon] #8976872 12/22/23 11:09 PM
D
duffas Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I have an IR monocular and IR scope, monocular is great for scanning. Try to illuminate a yote with a green weapons light and see what happens. I don't have a problem scanning with the rifle IR, ready to fire when needed. Know your back drop and ID the target.

Re: Pick a thermal sight from Cabelas [Re: BigRon] #8977121 12/23/23 04:02 PM
BigRon Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Ordered the rattler TS35. I had forgot to factor in Cabelas military discount. So I have some points left and will build up points in January to buy an inexpensive ATM thermal monocular. I'm sure the cheap monocular is not the best, but it will have to do for now.

I really do appreciate all of the advice and find all the different perspectives interesting and informative.

God is so good to me.
Re: Pick a thermal sight from Cabelas [Re: BigRon] #8977139 12/23/23 04:30 PM
D
duffas Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
ATN monocular? I have one, works OK but focus is a little difficult. Internal batt is USB chargeable so if it stops in the field, up the creek.
Edit: maybe the scanner will help. Wondering, as thermal is getting so popular, if maybe a dedicated thread from experienced guys to help us newbies with some techniques? Vids of hunts are neat but not much in the hunting methods used. Hunting from blind, open field, baited, etc.

Last edited by duffas; 12/23/23 04:57 PM.
Re: Pick a thermal sight from Cabelas [Re: BigRon] #8977191 12/23/23 06:57 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by BigRon
So I have some points left and will build up points in January to buy an inexpensive ATM thermal monocular. I'm sure the cheap monocular is not the best, but it will have to do for now.

Oh, it won't be the best and there is a reasonably chance it will be a nightmare optic to own. It if takes waiting 1-4 months to save of the difference to buy a better made product, then wait.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Pick a thermal sight from Cabelas [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8977382 12/24/23 03:37 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Originally Posted by BigRon
So I have some points left and will build up points in January to buy an inexpensive ATM thermal monocular. I'm sure the cheap monocular is not the best, but it will have to do for now.

Oh, it won't be the best and there is a reasonably chance it will be a nightmare optic to own. It if takes waiting 1-4 months to save of the difference to buy a better made product, then wait.

I would avoid ATN simply because of their reputation, but you may luck out and get one that never gives you trouble. I understand budget constraints.

Cameraland has the InfiRay Outdoor AFFO AP13 Thermal Monocular for $699.00 which would be a cash proposition, but if Cabela's carries the brand then maybe you can go that route. I would bet on its reliability to be much higher than an ATN product.

The bottom line, at least IMO, is that you don't really need a very high quality thermal for scanning. First, it's just like having someone handy who can see in the dark to tap you on the shoulder and tell you "hey---there's something over there." Even if your scanner isn't good enough to identify the object of interest, at least you know it's there and your weapon sight (whether thermal or DNV) comes into play and will give you a better idea what you're seeing. Another reason you don't need a high definition scanner is that after you've watched animals long enough you can be pretty sure what type of animal it is just by the way they behave. A sounder of pigs is usually easy because there will often be all different sizes of critters, and the little ones seem to be hyperactive (reminds me of little kids in the supermarket), and they all generally appear to be "going somewhere" in a pretty deliberate manner, with purpose. Pigs, deer, and cows all seem to have their own unique behavior that usually makes them fairly easy to distinguish. In any case, your weapon sight should give you an image that leaves no doubt in your mind and that is much more critical. My own thermal scanner is nowhere near as good as my thermal sight, and I just don't feel like it needs to be. It serves me very well and makes sitting in ambush in the darkness much more productive and relaxing. Even with its relatively lower performance, I know what I'm looking at 95% of the time with 95% certainty...I don't need to know with 100% certainty until I'm ready to pull the trigger.

I think you'll be happy with the Rattler's performance as a sight. I had a TS35-384 Adder with about the same specs, and I'd still be using it with perfect satisfaction if I hadn't decided to give myself a retirement present last summer.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide