Page 1 of 2 1 2
How to get him interested? #8964253 11/30/23 12:41 AM
B
Bigfoot Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
My dad doesnt have a gun and has only shot a shotgun as a kid. He is 80 but in great health. So he tells me the other day because of the deterioration of our country with illegals and all of these wars and crazy freakin liberals acting like idiots that "it is time to arm up". Of course being a gun guy myself that gets me excited. I ask him what does he think he wants? He tells me a shotgun. I say OK but there are much better choices than a shotgun like an AR. After discussing the differences of home defense between a pistol a shotgun and an AR he agrees with me that an AR is the best choice. So I prepare for him 2 guns. I had a cheap 12 gauge semi auto shotgun that I had and didnt like so I figure I will give him that with a few boxes of buckshot and my 6.8spc AR that was my old hog gun. I get it cleaned and lubed up and get him a red dot and get it all sighted in at 40 yards and bring him both guns over for Thanksgiving. But I was disappointed that when I started loading up the mag and showing him how to use it I could tell he was not interested and told me he doesnt want a loaded AR at this time. I wanted him to have it ready to go with just a flip of the safety, turn the red dot on and ready to fire. When someone is kicking your door in that is not the time to go find your bullets load it up and get it ready. So i gave him a 20 minute tutorial on how to strip the weapon and all of the functions. I told him this is the weapon you want if you have 3 guys at your door with AKs or ARs trying to break in. A shotgun wont do it as effectively and under all situations. 5 rounds is devastating in a shotgun no doubt but if those dont hit the target he is in trouble. Before I left I made him promise me to get on youtube and learn about that gun and play with it everyday to get comfortable with it. So I call him today and he hasnt touched it or watched a video. I am extremely disappointed at this point. I understand that when you are not comfortable with a gun it is hard to keep it in a state that you are uncomfortable with. When I first started carrying a CCW I felt uncomfortable with a loaded weapon on my hip. So I completely understand that but I also know that handling it and spending time with it and educating yourself will take away those feelings. Any advice on how to get him more interested and excited about learning and educating himself more????

GO TRUMP!
Re: How to get him interested? [Re: Bigfoot] #8964255 11/30/23 12:43 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Enjoy your time with your dad and let him do whatever he wants to do. That’s a win.

Re: How to get him interested? [Re: Bigfoot] #8964285 11/30/23 01:24 AM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I think its a generational thing. They didnt grow up with semi-auto rifles. Figure out what he’s comfortable with and just roll with it. You wont change his mind or his ways. Most important advice is to tell him to stay off news, social media, and Youtube and just enjoy life.

Re: How to get him interested? [Re: Bigfoot] #8964286 11/30/23 01:26 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
He’s 80, give him his shotgun. He’s lived this long not needing a gun, doubt he’ll ever use the shotgun.

Re: How to get him interested? [Re: Bigfoot] #8964291 11/30/23 01:57 AM
G
Grit Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
G
Maybe making a range day for him is best. Take along what you have and he can actually shoot them. That's the best way to figure out what he's going to like. If he finds something else at the range and they loan out, let him shoot one of theirs.

He could have well been intimated by the AR because he was unfamiliar with it. Shoving a weapon in someone's hand and expecting them to use it in a stressful life and death situation without ever having proper instruction is a disaster waiting to happen.

Garrett
Re: How to get him interested? [Re: Bigfoot] #8964417 11/30/23 11:19 AM
71Rcode Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
My dad is 84 never owned a gun in his life. Served as an officer in the Marine corps. Just didn't grow up in Texas or in the South like I did. I've never tried to convince him to own one for protection. He's just never been interested. So I just don't even brooch the subject.

NRA Life Member & GOA Member
Always interested in Marlins. Let me know what you have for sale!
Re: How to get him interested? [Re: grout-scout] #8964426 11/30/23 12:01 PM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"
Originally Posted by grout-scout
He’s 80, give him his shotgun. He’s lived this long not needing a gun, doubt he’ll ever use the shotgun.

Also he fires that shotgun once the perps will scatter like roaches. 5 shots is plenty.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: How to get him interested? [Re: Bigfoot] #8964427 11/30/23 12:05 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
My dad was a Sergeant in WW2 . He was in a lot of European countries, Central America, Korea and Africa. He had no interest in guns.

I, on the other hand, traded my bicycle for a 22 single shot at about 10 years old. Now have a safe full.

I’m now the same age as your dad. Get him the shotgun. I would resent my kids telling me what was best for me.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 11/30/23 12:09 PM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: How to get him interested? [Re: Bigfoot] #8964443 11/30/23 12:45 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
As, I think, Dave Ramsey said - No one is gonna take advice from someone they changed diapers on. Although you certainly are well-meaning and have thought this out, and obviously care about your dad, I'm betting he feels like he's been assigned homework. My daughter gave me a year of "Storyworth" and each week you get a question about your life and you're supposed to write a story, in my case it would be for my grandchildren. I love my grandchildren with my life, but it felt like an "assignment" and I couldn't make myself keep up. (Plus, I've met so many older folks that talk about nothing but themselves that I just can't get that inspired. I like to think of myself as a listener.)

I have one AR platform rifle. I didn't serve in the military and I never really "got into" them, so I just have never gotten comfortable with it. If it's within your means, I'd take him to a gun store and buy him whatever the hell he wants.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: How to get him interested? [Re: grout-scout] #8964472 11/30/23 01:22 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

^^This.

He waited this long to say "It's time to arm up".

He doesn't really mean it. Since he went his whole life without and has no interest in the rifle.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: How to get him interested? [Re: Bigfoot] #8964473 11/30/23 01:23 PM
65x55 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
It may be the classic the 25 in your pocket is better than the 45 at home situation. Maybe a good ol S&W Model 10 or a Ruger 10/22 would be more suitable. Range Day or a trip to the gun store to handle everything might be nice, we're all drawn to different things.

Re: How to get him interested? [Re: Superduty] #8964490 11/30/23 01:54 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Superduty

Also he fires that shotgun once the perps will scatter like roaches. 5 shots is plenty.

Good lord that's just wrong.

Re: How to get him interested? [Re: Choctaw] #8964493 11/30/23 01:59 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by Choctaw

Uncle Joe is that you? C'Mon Man!

[Linked Image]

Re: How to get him interested? [Re: Bigfoot] #8964528 11/30/23 02:38 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
He has both weapons now. He says he feels comfortable with the shotgun and that is a formidable home defense weapon. I guess I wlll let things happen and be happy that at least he has a 12 gauge. My next trip to him I do plan on taking him to the range. I guess just let him go at his own pace.

GO TRUMP!
Re: How to get him interested? [Re: Bigfoot] #8964537 11/30/23 02:49 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
range day

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: How to get him interested? [Re: Bigfoot] #8964546 11/30/23 02:59 PM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
If he has never really been a "gun guy" it may be possible that the recoil from the 12 gauge may startle him a little at age 80. Just picturing this whole situation, his wishes etc., maybe a Remington 1100 in 20 gauge would fit the bill. Some older folks have the mindset that the pump shotgun is the perfect home defense gun. If so then get it for him. My dad grew up hunting, was in the army and shot everything from M1 Carbines to 50 cal. machine guns. He was never deployed, but told me of the fun times at the range. After he was out of the military he lost interest in guns. He would have worn out some bad guys with a 5-iron.

Re: How to get him interested? [Re: Bigfoot] #8964604 11/30/23 04:03 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
First time I took my 6.8 out hunting with my dad about 15 years ago he kind of chuckled and asked why I brought such an ugly gun..
I told him I can shoot 1/2" groups with it and then took out 4 hogs in a few seconds that were all DRT and then later dropped a doe at 200 yards with a neck shot his opinion kind of changed on them.
He was an avid hunter, reloader, did all his own gun smithing and was an accuracy above all else kind of guy. He had just dismissed the AR as an accurate weapon.
Not an anti sem auto guy, he said they used to by M1 Carbines back in the 60s for like 15 bucks and had a lot of fun with tracer rounds..

Re: How to get him interested? [Re: Bigfoot] #8964715 11/30/23 06:08 PM
J
jdangler Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
My dad was never into hunting and still isn't...trout fishing is his thing...I got into hunting with some of my buddies. He called me looking for gun advice after the police chased an escaped convict through his backyard at 3am...he went and purchased a couple of handguns the next day and proceeded to get firearms instruction the next couple of weekends for him and my mom. Didn't take any of my advice on the gun purchases however.

Re: How to get him interested? [Re: Bigfoot] #8965352 12/01/23 05:26 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I’m the same age as Dad but have spent my life around guns. I’m not impressed with handguns as defense weapons under emergency situations. Wake up out of a sound sleep and the only thing a short gun is good for is noise or shooting your foot off or anything else in the room. A shotgun makes anybody want to be elsewhere ASAP.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: How to get him interested? [Re: Bigfoot] #8965673 12/02/23 12:31 AM
S
Smoked Pork Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Its not uncommon for the elderly to get fearful toward the end of life. My dad recently passed at 81. Even though my dad could no longer safely use a firearm, he wanted to arm up as well. Its a balance act of personal rights versus public safety. I agree that the AR15 is the better home defense weapon, but it may be too alien for your dad to be comfortable with using. On the other hand the shotgun is straightforward and something he is used to seeing since childhood. How good does your father operate his IPhone? If he has problems with the basics or he is asking his grandchildren to help him figure it out then the hurdle for adopting change may be too great at this point in time.

The only caution is a 12 gauge with buckshot is a stout recoil that may cause an injury from the recoil for a senior citizen (weaker bones, less muscle, etc.). Take your dad to the range with the shotgun and bring 2 3/4" birdshot shells. See how he handles the shotgun and reacts to the recoil. Don't use the buckshot, slugs, or any hunting loads. You want him to be relaxed and not be afraid of the recoil. Later that day and over next couple of days you want to touch base / inspect his chest and shoulder to make certain no deep bruising, muscle tear, or shoulder stiffness. It happens....

Treat this the same as if you were teaching a young child to shoot a big gun for the first time. The frailty of age has unexpected consequences and it can happen fast. If he likes the shotgun then mount a flashlight on it. Tis way he gets clear view before he shoots.

Last edited by Smoked Pork; 12/02/23 12:48 AM.
Re: How to get him interested? [Re: KRoyal] #8965688 12/02/23 12:50 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by KRoyal
Originally Posted by Choctaw

Uncle Joe is that you? C'Mon Man!

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: How to get him interested? [Re: Bigfoot] #8966172 12/02/23 08:23 PM
D
duffas Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
D
I'm your Dad's age, have several friends that feel the same way - dangerous place these days. But won't shoot a gun, don't want to hurt a person (or animal). I say OK, your life. Wife is middle road - won't practice and wants ME to do the protecting. Yes, I bought her a gun, she claims it but hasn't shot it yet - 5 yrs later.

Re: How to get him interested? [Re: Bigfoot] #8966450 12/03/23 04:33 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Why not ask Pops, if he’d like to have a lever action, he obviously grew up watching the westerns with all the levers blasting away. You can get him a carbine in a pistol caliber (.44, .357) and it’ll still hold quite a few cartridges. You could put a pictanny rail on it for a flashlight or laser sight. One of the easiest guns to use and not intimidating like an AR would be.

This is a bad little dude and it’s only about 36” long.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by grout-scout; 12/03/23 04:41 AM.
Re: How to get him interested? [Re: Bigfoot] #8966934 12/03/23 11:18 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Thanks for the advice guys. My dad is in great shape for an 80 year old. Very aware and still plays golf twice a week and shoot his age from time to time.

yes the kick of a 12 ga concerns me and I 100% agree a pistol is not the answer. The AR doesnt kick and will shoot through the door if he needs to do it. it is the answer and I really dont see the need to go spending a bunch of money on different guns he nay or may not like. I will take him to the range on my next trip to Louisiana and see what happens. The chances of him having to use it are NIL but I still will sleep better at night knowing he has a loaded AR sitting next to his bed ready to go if the need ever arrives

BIG

GO TRUMP!
Re: How to get him interested? [Re: Bigfoot] #8966962 12/03/23 11:51 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Bigfoot, your head is hard as a brick. If you want an AR for yourself then get you one. Your Dad wants a shotgun.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 12/03/23 11:51 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide