Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics538,305
Posts9,735,578
Members87,078
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Anyone a self proclaimed (or actual) BBQ Smoker expert? #8933785 10/11/23 06:59 PM
T
Tru_texan36 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
I've got a few questions on a smoker builder I am working on with the kids.

I've spent some time reading BBQ smoking forums, but still at an impasse.

In an offset smoker - you'd have your firebox/cook chamber/exhaust. Many of the cheaper made (mass produced) offset smokers have a varying degree of air inlets on the firebox door to adjust the air flow to the fire. Many of the higher end builds simply have a solid door with notches outside to hold the door open at different intervals i.e., .5", 1", 2", etc. Obviously both options allow for airflow into the firebox - but which is the better design?

Also, while we are on this topic - is it better to build your fire directly on the base of the firebox and just keep adding to it, or do you prefer to have a fire rack and build your fire on that?

Looking forward to reading the replies here.

Re: Anyone a self proclaimed (or actual) BBQ Smoker expert? [Re: Tru_texan36] #8933788 10/11/23 07:04 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Waiting for Blkt2 to let us know.

Re: Anyone a self proclaimed (or actual) BBQ Smoker expert? [Re: Tru_texan36] #8933797 10/11/23 07:19 PM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I build my fire on the bottom of the firebox. I’ve used to have. Grate, but over time ashes will fill up that space. My smokers have air vents in the firebox door, but I leave it closed and keep the door ajar. The only benefit I see to using the vents, is it keeps embers from falling out.

BTW, I’m no expert, but I really enjoy the art, science and frustration of using my offsets.

Re: Anyone a self proclaimed (or actual) BBQ Smoker expert? [Re: Tru_texan36] #8933801 10/11/23 07:30 PM
DustyArmadillo Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
Get a door than you can close but also has has a little grate that you can open. (good for windy days)

Build the fire on the bottom of firebox. (my smoker has an additional piece of loose, curved sheet metal that fits the contour of the firebox)

I think it helps protect the bottom.

Fine tuning the draft depends on your unit, also how windy it is outside.

Most days I just leave the door cracked, and same for the chimney.

Also depends on the size of the logs, cut all mine to 8 inches long, little more girth than a beer can.

Get a hot bed of coals before you put the meat on, then add one log at a time. smoke should be almost invisible blue.

Re: Anyone a self proclaimed (or actual) BBQ Smoker expert? [Re: ducknbass] #8933802 10/11/23 07:32 PM
D
DonPablo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ducknbass

He doesn't use a smoker. Just refrains from using lube and copulates next to the food being smoked. bolt

Re: Anyone a self proclaimed (or actual) BBQ Smoker expert? [Re: ducknbass] #8933817 10/11/23 07:52 PM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
Originally Posted by ducknbass

He's leans more towards grills with searing stations laugh

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Anyone a self proclaimed (or actual) BBQ Smoker expert? [Re: Tru_texan36] #8933912 10/11/23 10:02 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
I’ve helped on a couple and I do have most of the materials to build me the one I want next. Just haven’t had the time or desire to take on that project.

Are you going to insulate the firebox? I never have but I can say it’s be worth it on my next one to do it.

I’d try and go slightly larger on the firebox than you think you will need. They just seem easier to me, bigger firebox, bigger fire and then you can choke it back as needed

And to answer your last question, again this is my current set up and non insulated.

But take pieces of angle iron and turn them to make a triangle in the bottom of your box, mine are welded down. They’ll likely never burn out and it creates enough air flow to easily start and keep a fire going

Re: Anyone a self proclaimed (or actual) BBQ Smoker expert? [Re: Tru_texan36] #8933917 10/11/23 10:11 PM
O
OkieDokie Online Happy
Pro Tracker
Online Happy
Pro Tracker
O

Check out his videos

Maybe Today.
raptureready.com
Re: Anyone a self proclaimed (or actual) BBQ Smoker expert? [Re: Tru_texan36] #8933919 10/11/23 10:14 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Fire bricks will keep from burning out the fire box. I like an adjustable damper on the box and exhaust past the meat on the other end.

Re: Anyone a self proclaimed (or actual) BBQ Smoker expert? [Re: Tru_texan36] #8933929 10/11/23 10:23 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Have the ability to prop the door open in increments, as well as adjustable vents on the remaining 3 sides from the door.

Depending on the condition of the fire wood as well as the wind direction, you will have the ability to adjust intake air as needed.

Your exhaust stack needs to be at the bottom of the smoke chamber, not the top. When it is at the bottom, you will run through less firewood as well as not get the smoke chamber too hot.

Buy Bar Grate for the bottom of the fire box. Keep the firewood off of direct contact with the belly of the fire box. It let's air in below the firewood, and it won't rot out the belly of the fire box. Constant wood fire directly on the belly of the fire box will eventually wear away the steel. Even if it's 1/4" thick.

I had built about 15 smokers for customers before I built my own. Mine wants to hold at 225°F. All original parts and pieces, about 15 years old now.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Anyone a self proclaimed (or actual) BBQ Smoker expert? [Re: Tru_texan36] #8933990 10/12/23 12:16 AM
DeRico Online Sick
Mobius 1
Online Sick
Mobius 1
Best part is being able to point your firebox inlet toward the wind trout

[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone a self proclaimed (or actual) BBQ Smoker expert? [Re: J.G.] #8934005 10/12/23 12:41 AM
T
Tru_texan36 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by GusWayne
I’ve helped on a couple and I do have most of the materials to build me the one I want next. Just haven’t had the time or desire to take on that project.

Are you going to insulate the firebox? I never have but I can say it’s be worth it on my next one to do it.

I’d try and go slightly larger on the firebox than you think you will need. They just seem easier to me, bigger firebox, bigger fire and then you can choke it back as needed

And to answer your last question, again this is my current set up and non insulated.

But take pieces of angle iron and turn them to make a triangle in the bottom of your box, mine are welded down. They’ll likely never burn out and it creates enough air flow to easily start and keep a fire going

I was going to insulate it, but I think for now going to pass on it on this one. I upsized the box a bit from a calculator that was developed by some guys on a smoker forum.

Originally Posted by OkieDokie

Check out his videos

I binged watched most of his videos - pretty neat stuff with a pretty rudimentary shop.

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Fire bricks will keep from burning out the fire box. I like an adjustable damper on the box and exhaust past the meat on the other end.

FB's are a good idea.

Originally Posted by J.G.
Have the ability to prop the door open in increments, as well as adjustable vents on the remaining 3 sides from the door.

Depending on the condition of the fire wood as well as the wind direction, you will have the ability to adjust intake air as needed.

Your exhaust stack needs to be at the bottom of the smoke chamber, not the top. When it is at the bottom, you will run through less firewood as well as not get the smoke chamber too hot.

Buy Bar Grate for the bottom of the fire box. Keep the firewood off of direct contact with the belly of the fire box. It let's air in below the firewood, and it won't rot out the belly of the fire box. Constant wood fire directly on the belly of the fire box will eventually wear away the steel. Even if it's 1/4" thick.

I had built about 15 smokers for customers before I built my own. Mine wants to hold at 225°F. All original parts and pieces, about 15 years old now.

I like the idea of air inlets around the firebox! interesting on the exhaust being down low - that makes a lot of sense.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide