Print Thread
Deer camp misfits #8921108 09/21/23 12:37 PM
J
jrfan Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
J
The Cast of Characters thread reminded me of I guy I hunted with a few times. He was the step son of a member, well into adulthood. 100% alcoholic and could screw up a good dream. He would leave half a beer on his night stand every night so he would have something to wake up to. He went by Skeet. I was not a member of the lease at this time, but my dad was. Skeet's step dad called me out of the blue one day and wanted to know if I wanted to go hunting with him for the weekend. I jumped at the chance. When he picked me up, he mentioned he need to make a stop. Well, the stop was to pick up Skeet. It immediately became clear that I was either going to a witness or an accomplice to any future events.

We arrive to camp with just enough time for an afternoon hunt. Step dad began to explain to Skeet that he could either take beer or bullets to the blind. He couldn't take both. Skeet said he wanted to shoot a doe, so bullets it was. We dropped him off at a blind guaranteed to see deer. Step dad told him several times, "DO NOT SHOOT A BUTTON BUCK". Step dad and I go on to our spots and leave him there. About thirty minutes before sun set, we hear a shot. When we go to pick him up, he says he shot "at a doe" We look for a good while and determine a miss. We get to talking to him and it becomes clear, at least for us. Skeet starts explaining that when he would look through the scope "it was black" and he couldn't see anything. Step dad tried to explain to him how to achieve eye relief and we thought he understood.

Fast forward to the following afternoon. Skeet got drunk the night before and missed the morning hunt. We drop him off at the same stand, and sure enough another shot about 30 minutes before sunset. We go to pick him up and immediately notice that skeet has blood running down his face and there's a deer laying in the road. We asked Skeet what happened. He started to explain that he still couldn't see through the scope and tried everything we told him to do so that he could. He finally decided to cover one eye with his hand so he could see. Sure enough, he scoped his eye pretty good. After we cleaned him up, we went to load his deer, a button buck. I don't recall Skeet ever hunting with us again after that.

[Linked Image]
Re: Deer camp misfits [Re: jrfan] #8921176 09/21/23 02:54 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted by jrfan
We go to pick him up and immediately notice that skeet has blood running down his face

I think most of us knew your next words after "face". I immediately knew he'd scoped himself. I know it may not be appropriate, but if I don't laugh out loud, I laugh inside when this happens. Good times.

Re: Deer camp misfits [Re: garyrapp55] #8921190 09/21/23 03:05 PM
J
jrfan Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
J
Originally Posted by garyrapp55
We go to pick him up and immediately notice that skeet has blood running down his face

I think most of us knew your next words after "face". I immediately knew he'd scoped himself. I know it may not be appropriate, but if I don't laugh out loud, I laugh inside when this happens. Good times.

Skeet was an idiot.

[Linked Image]
Re: Deer camp misfits [Re: jrfan] #8921221 09/21/23 03:51 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Proud to say in 40+ years of shooting I've never scoped myself. Done plenty of other dumb things, though. Thankfully never shot a feeder, vehicle, or farm animal.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Deer camp misfits [Re: jrfan] #8921229 09/21/23 04:05 PM
onlysmith&wesson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I think I knew a Skeet. When in his late 20's, he arrives very late. It's cold, after midnight and we're up playing poker in the cabin. He is freezing cold, comes to the fire to warm up talking about how cold he was from the drive from Ft. Worth to the Graham area lease.
His dad asks him, "something wrong with the heater in your truck?", Skeet answers, I was low on gas, nothing was open so I was trying to save fuel by not running my heater. The look on his father's face was one of defeat. We didn't even laugh about it. I was about 16 at the time. I'm sure it was "Skeet" that stole my Puma knife. He was a "doper" as my Dad and the other cops on the lease would state.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Deer camp misfits [Re: jrfan] #8921242 09/21/23 04:21 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Scope scars don't always mean you're an idiot... It can mean you own a magnum rifle and have had to shoot from an odd position. (that's my excuse) Of course some folks will tag you as an idiot just for owning a magnum rifle. wink

Sounds like Skeet got what he deserved. Though I could blame step-dad as well for not getting range time in with him before taking him hunting. 2cents 100% agree that you take bullets or beers to a blind but not both.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Deer camp misfits [Re: jrfan] #8921275 09/21/23 04:57 PM
J
jrfan Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
J
First time I ever met Skeet, I was working at The Denton County jail as a detention officer. My dad calls me and informs me that "Skeet" is in jail and his step dad just asked if I would check on him. He was a trustee and I worked in a different part of the jail, but he and I finally crossed paths and met. Fast forward a couple of weeks and I was in the hall with my Sgt. He was a well seasoned officer, probably close to 30 years on the job. Skeet comes walking by and my Sgt. calls him by name. I also say hello. Once Skeet passes, I ask my Sgt. how he knows Skeet. He replies, "well, Skeet and I pretty much got started in this business about the same time."

[Linked Image]
Re: Deer camp misfits [Re: jrfan] #8921326 09/21/23 06:17 PM
M
Mistereeee Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
I'll admit to scoping myself one time at the range, not quite sure what I was thinking but I did draw a small amount of blood. Last time I ever made that mistake!

Re: Deer camp misfits [Re: jrfan] #8921887 09/22/23 03:19 PM
J
jdangler Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
We had a one-time Skeet run in a couple years ago....

Every year a buddy invites 5-6 of us out to his family land to hunt..its free, they have a great house on the place and it is an all around good time...we are thankful for the opportunity and usually shoot a couple does or spikes only. One year a guy had a Skeet moment. Skeet had decided he want to set up a ground blind under a tree by one of the feeders and try and shoot a pig. We dropped him, a cooler full of beer and his .223 ar off at his chosen location and go back to the house to start cooking some dinner. 30 minutes later it sounds like a full on Compton style gun battle is going off at the location we dropped this guy. After the shooting stops a couple of us jump in the ranger to go check on him. We arrived to find a pop up blind all shot to hell, bunch of beer cans scattered around, and not a dead pig in sight. Apparently a sounder of pigs had run thru and Skeet went full send on them with his AR, ended up falling out of his chair in the process and didn't hit a single damn thing.

When we arrived on the scene it looked like he had attempted to fight his way out of the pop up blind with and axe it was completely destroyed and he was standing there confused as hell trying to figure out how many pigs he shot...I have not laughed that hard since. We loaded him up in the ranger and went back to the house...without a word he put his rifle up in his truck then walked back into the house...he then apologized to everyone for being an idiot and volunteered to be on breakfast cooking duty the following day while everyone else hunted in the morning. The next morning 5 people hunted and 3 of them got a deer, I was certain all that shooting would have spooked them off a little, one guy shot a doe not 40 yards from the scene of the crime. Skeet has been back out since that event and we all get a good laugh out of it...and he still volunteers for breakfast duty.

Re: Deer camp misfits [Re: jrfan] #8921994 09/22/23 06:39 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
I would venture to say there's a Skeet in a lot of camps.

[Linked Image]
Re: Deer camp misfits [Re: jrfan] #8923473 09/25/23 11:35 AM
J
jrfan Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
J
Skeet had a favorite cat. One night, highly intoxicated I am sure, Skeet was "cleaning" his shotgun in the living room. Well, the cat walked in front of Skeet and he drew down on the cat, thinking the shotgun was unloaded of course and vaporized him right there next to the TV. Years later, if that story ever came up, Skeet would break down into uncontrollable tears.

[Linked Image]
Re: Deer camp misfits [Re: jrfan] #8923484 09/25/23 11:58 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
There's more than one way to...

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Deer camp misfits [Re: jrfan] #8923485 09/25/23 12:02 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Skeet had a favorite cat. One night, highly intoxicated I am sure, Skeet was "cleaning" his shotgun in the living room. Well, the cat walked in front of Skeet and he drew down on the cat, thinking the shotgun was unloaded of course and vaporized him right there next to the TV. Years later, if that story ever came up, Skeet would break down into uncontrollable tears.

eeks333

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide