Print Thread
Leupold RF Binos? #8880378 07/10/23 03:58 PM
Z
ZK-315 Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Z
Has anyone heard when the new Leupold RF binos may hit the floors and any possible insite on how they may stack up with the Sig and Vortex models?

I've seen some videos on them but wondering if it's a lot of marketing hype. I did get to fondle them a bit at Shot Show earlier this year but they don't like you walking over to their competitors to compare side by side.

I have been watching a lot of the Sig vs. Vortex RF bino comparison threads here and will eventually be looking into one of these 3. I know all about the 3200. com's but I'm not spending that kind of coin in this department.

Re: Leupold RF Binos? [Re: ZK-315] #8888698 07/25/23 06:54 PM
Z
ZK-315 Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Z
Just FYI, I just got a notification from Midway that it's available now, for in case anyone wanted to be the guinea pig.

Re: Leupold RF Binos? [Re: ZK-315] #8888704 07/25/23 06:59 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by ZK-315
Just FYI, I just got a notification from Midway that it's available now, for in case anyone wanted to be the guinea pig.

I wonder who makes these for Leupold? Meopta made the last version for them. Just curious.

Re: Leupold RF Binos? [Re: Jgraider] #8888733 07/25/23 07:38 PM
Z
ZK-315 Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Jgraider

I wonder who makes these for Leupold? Meopta made the last version for them. Just curious.

Not sure but just looking at pics of them side by side they look fairly similar. Buttons look similar and so does some of the styling in the eye cups.

Re: Leupold RF Binos? [Re: ZK-315] #8888801 07/25/23 09:14 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/8856260/sig-kilo3000-bdx#Post8856260

Are you wanting good glass with excellent ranging capabilities? My Sig's get it done. See if you can find a similar review on the Leupold's. Accurate, fast and ese of acquiring the target were the most important factors to me. The link above is how I've put the range feature to use.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Leupold RF Binos? [Re: ZK-315] #8888842 07/25/23 10:12 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Has anyone heard when the new Leupold RF binos may hit the floors and any possible insite on how they may stack up with the Sig and Vortex models?

I've seen some videos on them but wondering if it's a lot of marketing hype. I did get to fondle them a bit at Shot Show earlier this year but they don't like you walking over to their competitors to compare side by side.

I have been watching a lot of the Sig vs. Vortex RF bino comparison threads here and will eventually be looking into one of these 3. I know all about the 3200. com's but I'm not spending that kind of coin in this department.

if you dont need a ballistics app built in here is best deal and glass

Leica Geovid R

you can probably get another 2oo off MSRP if you called CameralandNy

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Leupold RF Binos? [Re: ZK-315] #8889330 07/26/23 07:15 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102584681?pid=493022

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Leupold RF Binos? [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8889467 07/26/23 09:43 PM
Z
ZK-315 Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/8856260/sig-kilo3000-bdx#Post8856260

Are you wanting good glass with excellent ranging capabilities? My Sig's get it done. See if you can find a similar review on the Leupold's. Accurate, fast and ese of acquiring the target were the most important factors to me. The link above is how I've put the range feature to use.

Sigs were at the top of my list, over the Vortex no doubt. There aren't hardly any reviews on the Leupolds since they just became available the other day. My Sig standalone rangefinder has done great for me but I'm needing some new binos and really wanting to get into a RF bino set up without the cost of the 3200.coms. This put me into the Sig, Vortex, then just recently the Leupolds price range. I'm tending to lead towards the Sig at the time being.

I played with the Lica Giovid and the Vortex side by side at Cabelas a few weeks ago. I hate to say it but I preferred the Vortex over the Leicas. (they didn't have a set of sigs or I would have played with it a bit as well). I ranged a mount on the opposite side of the store and between the two there was a 4 yard difference. I tried it multiple times and came up with the same results.

I haven't done a lot of research on a somewhat similar but different topic. I do know my standalone Sig shoots a different range than my buddy's standalone Leica. Enough so that I called a shot for my buddy and he straight up missed a doe at roughly 500 yards, which is a chip shot for him. He ranged a stump that was right next to where she was standing and said I called the distance wrong...long story short, at that distance his leica was roughly 15 yards different than my sig. Which one was correct? Who knows, but my rifles are "tuned", if you will, to my sig and his is "tuned" to his Leica. We quickly switched rangefinders to call shots for each other.

Re: Leupold RF Binos? [Re: ZK-315] #8890964 07/28/23 09:34 PM
Q
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q

Sigs were at the top of my list, over the Vortex no doubt. There aren't hardly any reviews on the Leupolds since they just became available the other day. My Sig standalone rangefinder has done great for me but I'm needing some new binos and really wanting to get into a RF bino set up without the cost of the 3200.coms. This put me into the Sig, Vortex, then just recently the Leupolds price range. I'm tending to lead towards the Sig at the time being.

I played with the Lica Giovid and the Vortex side by side at Cabelas a few weeks ago. I hate to say it but I preferred the Vortex over the Leicas. (they didn't have a set of sigs or I would have played with it a bit as well). I ranged a mount on the opposite side of the store and between the two there was a 4 yard difference. I tried it multiple times and came up with the same results.

I haven't done a lot of research on a somewhat similar but different topic. I do know my standalone Sig shoots a different range than my buddy's standalone Leica. Enough so that I called a shot for my buddy and he straight up missed a doe at roughly 500 yards, which is a chip shot for him. He ranged a stump that was right next to where she was standing and said I called the distance wrong...long story short, at that distance his leica was roughly 15 yards different than my sig. Which one was correct? Who knows, but my rifles are "tuned", if you will, to my sig and his is "tuned" to his Leica. We quickly switched rangefinders to call shots for each other.

500 yards is a pretty fair poke. If they only differed by 15 yards, IMO he blew the shot. But it is odd they differed so much, almost like y'all didn't range the same target. Any chance there was a small limb, large piece of grass or something else one of them ranged off? I've tested my Sig against my Leupold and they're within a yard to 400 yards.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Leupold RF Binos? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8890973 07/28/23 10:02 PM
Inge0071 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I took my Vortex binocs to the Federal King of Coal Canyon match out in New Mexico. They're fine for watching grass and tree tops.

During the match, I made it a point to check the gear folks used to win. With their new Swaros and Leicas, I was able to see actual wind currents and mirage at different distances. I simply had zero idea of what was happening down range with my Vortex, comparatively. Watching the bullets' 'S' curve through the wind and valleys was absolutely fascinating.

Ended up buying a pair of Sigs off this board from a really nice guy. But why didn't I go buy either of the two mentioned above? The Sig glass quality is phenomenal. More importantly, the ranging was noticeably faster. Also, the Leica's made my eyes hurt. No idea why - could have been me, setup, etc.

Just my $0.02.

Pro Deo et patria
Re: Leupold RF Binos? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8893149 08/01/23 01:59 PM
Z
ZK-315 Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

500 yards is a pretty fair poke. If they only differed by 15 yards, IMO he blew the shot. But it is odd they differed so much, almost like y'all didn't range the same target. Any chance there was a small limb, large piece of grass or something else one of them ranged off? I've tested my Sig against my Leupold and they're within a yard to 400 yards.

After she ran off we went back and forth on it and we both ranged a stump right next to where she was standing multiple different times and came up with the same results with them being a bit different from one another.

Not saying he didn't blow the shot, as he quite possibly could have, but 500 is typically a chip shot for him. He has a range out there that goes out to 1840 yards and he shoots quite a bit.

Re: Leupold RF Binos? [Re: ZK-315] #8893243 08/01/23 03:35 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
One thing that is mandatory, IMO/IME is to "calibrate" the aiming reticle with the actual laser RF in your unit. I do this buy putting the RF in scan mode, and go back and forth/up and down around the top of a single telephone pole. By doing this you will find where the actual laser beam is in relation to the circle aiming reticle in your particular unit.

I had a Sig3000 unit that, after doing this test, confirmed that the laser was actually located at 6 o'clock just outside of the circle reticle, which can and did result in false and inaccurate readings. I was ranging a mule deer buck at what I thought was about 350-400 yds, but the buck had a line of mesquite brush between me and him, pretty close to him actually. Given the laser/circle reticle described above, I would get ranges off of the brush top and not the buck. Don't know if that was what's happening with the situation described a couple of posts up, but the discrepancy could definitely be attributed to misaligned laser/reticle. It is a very common thing. I told this to the Sig CS rep, in my case, and he told me "it is well within spec", which I thought was a ridiculous answer. The Vortex Fury AB I've been using lately is very much better, with the actual laser aligned at 3 o'clock well within the circle. I can live with that, as I don't expect them to be perfectly dead center but I don't expect them to be completely outside of the circle either.

Re: Leupold RF Binos? [Re: Jgraider] #8893277 08/01/23 04:16 PM
Z
ZK-315 Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Z
For what it's worth, my Sig kilo 2000 is right on the circle at 6oclock as well.

Re: Leupold RF Binos? [Re: ZK-315] #8893708 08/02/23 01:37 AM
D
DStroud Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
I just watched the video on the new Leupold RF binos and my impression is….. what are they thinking?
First off the ranging capabilities are mediocre compared to what’s available and then to suggest that they are great for competitors when their ballistics solution gives you”25” options of velocity and bullet weights. Wow! This is state of the art stuff …..15-20 years ago….
Come on Leupold you can do better than this.

Last edited by DStroud; 08/02/23 01:37 AM.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Leupold RF Binos? [Re: DStroud] #8893723 08/02/23 01:54 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by DStroud
I just watched the video on the new Leupold RF binos and my impression is….. what are they thinking?
First off the ranging capabilities are mediocre compared to what’s available and then to suggest that they are great for competitors when their ballistics solution gives you”25” options of velocity and bullet weights. Wow! This is state of the art stuff …..15-20 years ago….

DStroud knows his stuff.
And Jgraider that was good info.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Leupold RF Binos? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8894629 08/03/23 02:02 PM
C
Crews Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

if you dont need a ballistics app built in here is best deal and glass

Leica Geovid R

I agree with this 100%. I'd argue that for the low $1k's price point, almost anyone in a hunting scenario won't benefit from real time dope as much as they would better observational capability (via Leica's superior glass.)

Onboard environmentals and solvers are all the rage these days, but in my opinion it's coming at the cost of very poor glass quality. Unless you're willing to drop closer to $3k.

Re: Leupold RF Binos? [Re: ZK-315] #8894650 08/03/23 02:34 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
The GPO 10x50 is the best combination of glass quality and kickasss RF that there is IMO, and yes, I've owned 3 different Geovids.

Re: Leupold RF Binos? [Re: DStroud] #8894666 08/03/23 02:50 PM
Q
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q

Seems like one of two thoughts. 'Hey, we can make some quick bucks in this segment since RF binos are hot right now' or 'Hey, we better get something out there in this segment before our customers ditch us'.

[Linked Image]

Re: Leupold RF Binos? [Re: Jgraider] #8894745 08/03/23 04:28 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
The GPO 10x50 is the best combination of glass quality and kickasss RF that there is IMO, and yes, I've owned 3 different Geovids.

better then redesigned Leica R’s?

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Leupold RF Binos? [Re: ZK-315] #8894748 08/03/23 04:32 PM
D
DStroud Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
This is hearsay but I heard that when Sig came out with the 10K that at about that time frame Leupold had a couple optics engineers jump ship over to Sig.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Leupold RF Binos? [Re: DStroud] #8894758 08/03/23 04:41 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
This is hearsay but I heard that when Sig came out with the 10K that at about that time frame Leupold had a couple optics engineers jump ship over to Sig.

wish someone would hurry up and come out w/12x before I buy 15x

Re: Leupold RF Binos? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8894796 08/03/23 05:31 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J

I have not had those two side by side, but I did have the GPO side by side last hunting season with my 3200.coms and Vortex Fury AB. Leica is optically superior, but my particular samples (3) had inferior/defective RF functions so they were dead last in that category. The GPO's optics are excellent, superior to the Fury AB, and a small notch below the 3200's. At least that's the way my eyeballs saw it after about a month fiddling with them.

Re: Leupold RF Binos? [Re: Jgraider] #8894835 08/03/23 06:27 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

I have not had those two side by side, but I did have the GPO side by side last hunting season with my 3200.coms and Vortex Fury AB. Leica is optically superior, but my particular samples (3) had inferior/defective RF functions so they were dead last in that category. The GPO's optics are excellent, superior to the Fury AB, and a small notch below the 3200's. At least that's the way my eyeballs saw it after about a month fiddling with them.

I’ve put the 15x geo R in my cart like 5 times and keep backing out. GPO are just a touch cheaper but with better warranty but only go to 10x

Re: Leupold RF Binos? [Re: ZK-315] #8895005 08/03/23 10:32 PM
D
DStroud Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
My question would be why would you want a 15x RF Bino versus a 10x when the 15x is way heavier harder to hold and range with unless you are on a tripod?
Just trying to visualize circumstances where the ranging in a spotter on the tripod is critical.
Last season I used a Swaro NL 12x on the tripod and had the Leica Pro RF in my harness for final stalking.

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Leupold RF Binos? [Re: DStroud] #8895051 08/03/23 11:23 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
My question would be why would you want a 15x RF Bino versus a 10x when the 15x is way heavier harder to hold and range with unless you are on a tripod?
Just trying to visualize circumstances where the ranging in a spotter on the tripod is critical.
Last season I used a Swaro NL 12x on the tripod and had the Leica Pro RF in my harness for final stalking.

yes I use tripod 90% of the time. I hunt Wtx, NM, CO, Western Okla more then I hunt whitetails

I only use 11x/12x now with single hand range finder, but more and more Ive been borrowing 15x geo r (on a tripod). I also digiscope a bunch

It’s not needing to range on spotter, I can range via hand pretty easy w/15 geo R . I just want an all in one unit,

[Linked Image]

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide