D
DQ Kid Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
For a hot moment, I thought we may be treading on HF vs LF territory with TxTrophy's perspective. Lol

Haha!

I don’t think crossbows are bad. I don’t think people who use crossbows are bad, are less of a hunter than bow hunters, or anything like that.

I do question if they should be allowed to participate ( for able bodied hunters) in the same archery seasons as vertical bows given the equipment most wear ( namely magnified scopes) that offer a large advantage over even the most advanced vertical bow.

They have a lot of good points to them, as I’ve previously stated.

All good Trophy, just joshing U some...

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8886806 07/22/23 12:56 AM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
I've hunted archery only for the last ten years. I have no problem with crossbows. Unless it's a competition I don't care how others hunt legally. And good for them if the crossbow can be shot more accurately with it's scope. That means less wounded deer.

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8886809 07/22/23 12:57 AM
P
Papalote Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Well, it is called archery season. I'm ok with the use of crossbows.
Yes they are cumbersome.
Do hunters using a long bow, recurve or compound shoot enough practice arrows prior to the season to be good enough to take a critter. The stock and scope MAY increase success and reduce lost animals.

As said above, they are troublesome to carry and manipulate in an enclosed blind.

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8886823 07/22/23 01:27 AM
C
claypool Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
I don't give a rats behind what anyone thinks. drawing a bow back and holding it is significantly more difficult than a bow that locks backs from the moment one plops their butt down in a stand. That said. Shotguns are harder than rifles. Optics matter......I support any hunter hunting any a legal manner

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8886844 07/22/23 02:13 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Why anyone wants to hunt during bow season in the Texas heat is a mystery to me. I would bet it’s so they can drink cold beer and do some coyote hunting at night. Or at least get away from their wives. Maybe toget an advantage over their leasemates to kill that hard to find buck that’s coming in to a feeder every day of summer. What difference does it make if you’re shooting a crossbow or a compound anymore. Both crossbow and compound have sights. What really makes that much difference?I I like to shoot a bow at a target once a week, but don’t care about hunting with one. Shooting targets and betting on it is fun. Sitting in the heat is not.

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: scalebuster] #8886892 07/22/23 04:22 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted by scalebuster
Why anyone wants to hunt during bow season in the Texas heat is a mystery to me. I would bet it’s so they can drink cold beer and do some coyote hunting at night. Or at least get away from their wives. Maybe toget an advantage over their leasemates to kill that hard to find buck that’s coming in to a feeder every day of summer. What difference does it make if you’re shooting a crossbow or a compound anymore. Both crossbow and compound have sights. What really makes that much difference?I I like to shoot a bow at a target once a week, but don’t care about hunting with one. Shooting targets and betting on it is fun. Sitting in the heat is not.

There may be an age factor to that. I bowhunted for years before I owned a deer rifle. In the 1980s I used to go standby on the Gus Engeling WMA deer hunt in September. It was before regular bow season opened so was the earliest possible date I could hunt and kill a deer. It was called bow season back then too btw. I had a Bear Magnum Hunter that was so hard to tune, only 35% let off and it was heavy. I am certain the recurve guys had an advantage over it. So being the middle of September it was often crazy hot on those hunts, but no one complained and almost all would be young serious hunters like I was. Now that I am older, I too am not as keen on those all day public land bow hunts when it is ninety something degrees outside. But back then I lived for those days no matter how hot it was. Still do I guess, but I hunt smarter now and know when to come into the cold AC.

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: scalebuster] #8886895 07/22/23 04:30 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Only advantage we have here in Texas is you are able to hunt extremely patternable deer….basically they are in a set routine and you can pretty much set your watch to their movement. I normally hunt opening day just out of principle but it’s not an enjoyable time to set in a pop up.

Other states, archery season is usually set during the rut. Several states run an early archery, then a muzzle loader season, then a rifle, then another archery. Wisconsin for instance has something like a 9 day rifle season but a two month long archery season.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: txtrophy85] #8886961 07/22/23 12:47 PM
Adchunts Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker

Only advantage we have here in Texas is you are able to hunt extremely patternable deer….basically they are in a set routine and you can pretty much set your watch to their movement. I normally hunt opening day just out of principle but it’s not an enjoyable time to set in a pop up.

Other states, archery season is usually set during the rut. Several states run an early archery, then a muzzle loader season, then a rifle, then another archery. Wisconsin for instance has something like a 9 day rifle season but a two month long archery season.

My local Arkansas deer season:

2023-24 Deer Season Dates
Archery: Sept. 23, 2023- Feb. 29, 2024
Muzzleloader: Oct. 21-29 and Dec. 9-11, 2023
Private Land Antlerless-only Modern Gun Hunt: Dec. 29-31, 2023
Special Youth Modern Gun Hunt: Nov. 4-5, 2023 and Jan. 6-7, 2024
Modern Gun: Nov. 11-Dec. 3 and Dec. 26-28, 2023

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: txtrophy85] #8886978 07/22/23 01:37 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Im not a fan of crossbows during archery season unless a person has an upper limb disability that prevents them from drawing a compound bow. The weapon has a rifle stock and in most cases an optic…it goes against what archery seasons were originally created for.

During general season, sure, by all means go for it. I’ll even support it and I do think they are a great weapon for kids to use. I feel the same about modern inline muzzle loaders with scope being allowed during muzzleloader season…some of these guns are shooting a sabot bullet 2700-2800 fps. You are using a single shot centerfire rifle for all intents and purposes at that point.

Been saying that for years.
Had ta quit archery in the 90's cause of shoulders.
My Kentucky, the got were couldn't find Goex powder,(True black powder).
Am of age for cross bow. So can archery hunt.
Have 3 in-line, 2 50's prefure .45 & have one in-line.
Have yet ta take in-line deer hunting. My .45 Kentucky's are in texas .
That's weapon of choice.
Here is getting more like texas.. less old school hunting. & seeing more hunting stands going up.

Legal tis legal. Old age, my eyes not same as younger age.
getting a bead tis blurry. Scope helps. Yet prefure my Kentucky just cut down distance for a crazy.

Like with HF, rack,(trophy) legal tis legal.
It's just each person tis individual.

Just my 2cents
rofl low-income worker.
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: Adchunts] #8886985 07/22/23 01:51 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Adchunts

Is a crossbow legal in Arkansas?

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: txtrophy85] #8886991 07/22/23 02:03 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior

Arkansas might have been the first state to allow crossbows, not sure about that but I had classes in 1983 with a guy that hunted crossbow season in Arkansas. Do not remember details of the season there then though.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: txtrophy85] #8887000 07/22/23 02:21 PM
Adchunts Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker

Yes, crossbow is legal for archery season.

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8887006 07/22/23 02:38 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
So this is the flip side to the crossbow topic. When you have an archery season that is 5x as long or greater than general rifle it’s hard to argue that crossbows shouldn’t be allowed. If I lived and hunted there my wife and kids would certainly be using crossbows to take advantage of the season as only one of the four of them bowhunt.

This has been an interesting discussion and after some thought it’s really hard to argue hard against them even though I don’t use them. I will state that they have advantages especially in the form of optics, but we all are allowed X amount of deer a year and it makes no difference if they are shot with a crossbow or a few weeks later with a rifle.

Exceptions to every rule and scenario of course but for deer hunting in Texas and states like Texas I will be supportive of their use, especially given the data available.

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8887039 07/22/23 04:02 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45

Always hunted archery season whin lived in texas until shoulder went out.
Tis not just the heat, but the knats/mosketoes ya have ta put up with.
Teaches ya patients.

If ya wanna learn behavior & become a better hunter.
But dowmn the gun & put bow in hand.
pappy

Look @ all the advantages the hunter has these days.
Compared ta a muyloco caveman.
& what advantages have a deer or pray gained threw the years ?

i've used rifle/scope same as majority on here.

Use trail camps & put out mineral blocks & stuff ta help out quality of deer.
& Enjoy the pics of wildlife. But don't hunt areas baited.
In texas have whin legal.
Public land it wasn't & prefured the archery only hunts.

Just curious :
If it was rifle only during what is now archery & archery during the rifle seasons. Rolls reversed.
Would you take up archery ? popcorn
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: txtrophy85] #8887055 07/22/23 04:29 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Old Rabbit
Im not a fan of crossbows during archery season unless a person has an upper limb disability that prevents them from drawing a compound bow. The weapon has a rifle stock and in most cases an optic…it goes against what archery seasons were originally created for.

Just curious as to what your option of an upper limb disability is.

I used my compound after my first Orthoscopic rotator cuff repair. I did lots of physical therapy and shot several times a week for months to get back up to 60# draw weight. Anything above that weight and there would be an audible pop that hurt like heck and alerted the deer to my location.
When my right bicep tendon started to tear off of the shoulder attachment points and the rotator cuff had progressed to where I couldn't sleep on my right side, had to get a zipper put in my shoulder. The surgeon repaired what he could of the cuff and relocated the bicep tendons (long and short head) down my humorous about 1" from the head of the bone. I asked when I could start weights and he told me those days are over. I asked about shooting a bow and he just shook his head.
This year I may have to go to a hand crank to be able to use the crossbow as at 67 years of age, pulling the rope pully is getting painful and I don't want the replacement shoulder joint he said was coming next.

I would say you would certainly qualify. I have no issues with a person such as yourself using a X-bow during archery season.

What I’m against is a Person who has never shot a bow, picking up a crossbow and going into the woods during archery season and hunting. We hunted in Argentina with two guys using a crossbow. One had been in a hunting accident as a youth and I don’t believe could draw a bow. The other guy was just not willing to put the time in. Shot a Raven crossbow that shot a bolt 400+fps and had a scope. 60 yard shots were nothing. Now here we are on a “ archery only” hunt but he had a definite advantage over the vertical bow guys, which went against the original archery only purpose to begin with. He might as well shot a suppressed rifle, it would have accomplished the same thing.

In Texas it’s not as big a concern but in other states with long archery season and limited Quota and more competition by hunters for game, it certainly is a concern as archers are having to share a special weapon season with folks who want a shortcut.

Couldn’t the same argument be made by recurve hunters vs compound bow users?

I have no bow of any kind so no skin in the game. Just curious.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: txtrophy85] #8887075 07/22/23 05:16 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by Old Rabbit
[quote=txtrophy85]Im not a fan of crossbows during archery season unless a person has an upper limb disability that prevents them from drawing a compound bow. The weapon has a rifle stock and in most cases an optic…it goes against what archery seasons were originally created for.

I would say you would certainly qualify. I have no issues with a person such as yourself using a X-bow during archery season.

What I’m against is a Person who has never shot a bow, picking up a crossbow and going into the woods during archery season and hunting. We hunted in Argentina with two guys using a crossbow. One had been in a hunting accident as a youth and I don’t believe could draw a bow. The other guy was just not willing to put the time in. Shot a Raven crossbow that shot a bolt 400+fps and had a scope. 60 yard shots were nothing. Now here we are on a “ archery only” hunt but he had a definite advantage over the vertical bow guys, which went against the original archery only purpose to begin with. He might as well shot a suppressed rifle, it would have accomplished the same thing.

In Texas it’s not as big a concern but in other states with long archery season and limited Quota and more competition by hunters for game, it certainly is a concern as archers are having to share a special weapon season with folks who want a shortcut.

First I could care less about your "issues". Second a crossbow really doesn't extend range that much, is heavier than my old compound, not as handy to carry. In fact the only real advantage I see with my crossbow is I can be more effective hunting from a ground blind as I don't have to pull it back just before I shoot. It was also easier to get my grandson into archery hunting using that crossbow. What I feel you are saying is that you want fewer hunters in the field and because you don't want to use a crossbow you don't want anyone else to. Or possibly you are just trying to virtue signal somehow.

Well I’m sorry sir, I didn’t know that I asked about how you felt about my opinions on the subject.

The point I was discussing is how crossbows with optics fits into an archery season in terms of advantages over vertical bows. I also stated that they are great for introducing new/young hunters into the sport.

Also, you may want to look up the definition of virtue signaling before you regurgitate it so flippantly.

Funny post, here you are giving your opinion on who should be able to use a crossbow, which are definitely virtue signalling that anyone who uses one is somehow less in your opinion than anyone else to include yourself. Then you display your ignorance on optical sights on crossbows which normally are just another way to represent sight pins since magnification is not needed at the ranges archery equipment is used even if it is built into the sight. In the vast majority of cases deer with archery equipment including crossbows are killed within 40 yards, a distance not too far for my compounds and an even greater percentage are killed inside of 30 yards. You seem to also be saying that since crossbows are easier to learn than a compound bow that the compound bow user is to be preferred in your (virtue signalling) opinion? You mention a guy that chose a crossbow had a definite advantage over those choosing a vertical bow and both were legal? Seems to me that if conditions were open enough to need 60 yards of range then the guys that chose equipment that was not suitable put themselves at the disadvantage. What I have found is that the noise of a crossbow tends to negate any advantage of longer range because time of flight is still plenty long enough for the animal to react and move before the arrow/bolt gets there at ranges of more than 40 yards especially. Archery equipment is more effective at ranges of 30 yards or less because of this. Even at that distance it is wise to hold low to anticipate the deer crouching down before it jumps out of the way. And by the way I still see far more vertical bows in the field than crossbows.

Last edited by rickt300; 07/22/23 05:19 PM.
Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8887089 07/22/23 05:53 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
TxHogSlayer,

Yes, the argument is made quite often. Crossbows have a rifle stock, the vast majority of them wear a scope and can be rested on sticks, rails or bogpod. The learning curve is much, much less than a vertical bow. I bought my uncle one a few years back and we had him shooting bulls at 20 yards within a handful of shots.

A compound bow typically uses a mechanical release aid which takes away bad form and offers a consistent release. Peep sight and sight pins offer another level of consistency. Once your form is down, you don’t need a lot of maintenance to stay consistent. I have been shooting a compound as a hunting weapon consistently since around 2010 or so. The other day I picked it up and shot it for the first time since the second week of March, put the first two arrows in the 10 ring at 30 yards. Once you have the mechanics figured out it’s a pretty easy glide from there on.

A recurve/longbow is the hardest to master. I’ve been shooting a traditional bow since 2020 and shoot 2-7x’s a week and still have not found consistency. No sights, no pins, finger release… It’s a hard discipline to be proficient in.

I agree the range of a crossbow is similar to a compound for the average shooter. Due to the optics and the ability to have a steady rest I would say the average crossbow shooter would be more accurate at 60 yards than the avg. compound shooter at that distance, which is about double the range most of us should be shooting at deer sized game. A traditional bow is mostly a 20 yard and under affair, most of the time much closer.

Strictly talking accuracy, I’m good to 80 yards with my compound. Only 20 with my recurve bows and on a lot of days that’s a stretch. I prefer a 12-15 yard shot with my trad equipment. 17-22 is my preferred with my compound.

In most trad hunting circles, they look down hard on compound shooters. They call them “using training wheels “.

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8887100 07/22/23 06:30 PM
Ol Thumper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
In this day and age I’m of the mindset of who gives a damn what anyone uses and long as their having fun. High fence, low fence, compound, recurve, cross bow, black powder cannon or a freaking sling shot for all I care and I can’t see much of an argument to the contrary. I say have fun and the hell with everybody else’s opinions,

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: Ol Thumper] #8887101 07/22/23 06:31 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
In this day and age I’m of the mindset of who gives a damn what anyone uses and long as their having fun. High fence, low fence, compound, recurve, cross bow, black powder cannon or a freaking sling shot for all I care and I can’t see much of an argument to the contrary. I say have fun and the hell with everybody else’s opinions,

Best post in this thread

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: txtrophy85] #8887214 07/22/23 11:50 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
TxHogSlayer,

Yes, the argument is made quite often. Crossbows have a rifle stock, the vast majority of them wear a scope and can be rested on sticks, rails or bogpod. The learning curve is much, much less than a vertical bow. I bought my uncle one a few years back and we had him shooting bulls at 20 yards within a handful of shots.

A compound bow typically uses a mechanical release aid which takes away bad form and offers a consistent release. Peep sight and sight pins offer another level of consistency. Once your form is down, you don’t need a lot of maintenance to stay consistent. I have been shooting a compound as a hunting weapon consistently since around 2010 or so. The other day I picked it up and shot it for the first time since the second week of March, put the first two arrows in the 10 ring at 30 yards. Once you have the mechanics figured out it’s a pretty easy glide from there on.

A recurve/longbow is the hardest to master. I’ve been shooting a traditional bow since 2020 and shoot 2-7x’s a week and still have not found consistency. No sights, no pins, finger release… It’s a hard discipline to be proficient in.

I agree the range of a crossbow is similar to a compound for the average shooter. Due to the optics and the ability to have a steady rest I would say the average crossbow shooter would be more accurate at 60 yards than the avg. compound shooter at that distance, which is about double the range most of us should be shooting at deer sized game. A traditional bow is mostly a 20 yard and under affair, most of the time much closer.

Strictly talking accuracy, I’m good to 80 yards with my compound. Only 20 with my recurve bows and on a lot of days that’s a stretch. I prefer a 12-15 yard shot with my trad equipment. 17-22 is my preferred with my compound.

In most trad hunting circles, they look down hard on compound shooters. They call them “using training wheels “.

Training wheels.. roflmao Thank you for the explanation sir. Makes sense.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: txtrophy85] #8887217 07/23/23 12:03 AM
H
Hirogen Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
TxHogSlayer,

Crossbows have a rifle stock.

Actually be more correct to say rifles have a crossbow stock as crossbows were invented long before firearms. Regardless though your point is valid.

Last edited by Hirogen; 07/23/23 12:05 AM.

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: Ol Thumper] #8887218 07/23/23 12:10 AM
A
angus1956 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper

Damm straight, get er done!
It's like what is a trophy deer? The trophy is in the eye of the one pulling the trigger or hitting the release. If you want a doe shoot it, if you want a forked horn shoot that too. If you want Bambi's dad wait for it.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide