Page 1 of 2 1 2
Making a Decision Based off of Online Reviews. #8864424 06/08/23 12:31 PM
S
Stub Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Do you y'all make decisions on buying something based on online reviews?

Took my son out for lunch on Tuesday for some Mexican food, specifically looked for a place in Oak Cliff for after lunch was going to show him the houses we lived in and places we hung out at.
After Googling Mexican restaurants in Oak Cliff I chose Alebrijes Cafe on Clarendon for it had a 4.9 star rating from 104 people.

We pulled into the parking lot at noon and it was a ghost town, only one car there, they were open because I called before we headed that way.
Last time I went to a place with great reviews and a empty parking lot it was No Bueno and I was not going to go down that road again.
Headed for Jefferson Blvd and pulled into El Ranchito's parking lot which was fairly full, ate there and it was No Bueno big time bang

Is there a reliable source online that is pretty accurate, Google has been a bust for me lately.

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: Making a Decision Based off of Online Reviews. [Re: Stub] #8864449 06/08/23 01:10 PM
KRoyal Offline
Texoma Legend
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by Stub

Took my son out for lunch on Tuesday for some Mexican food, specifically looked for a place in Oak Cliff for after lunch was going to show him the houses we lived in and places we hung out at.
After Googling Mexican restaurants in Oak Cliff I chose Alebrijes Cafe on Clarendon for it had a 4.9 star rating from 104 people.

We pulled into the parking lot at noon and it was a ghost town, only one car there, they were open because I called before we headed that way.
Last time I went to a place with great reviews and a empty parking lot it was No Bueno and I was not going to go down that road again.
Headed for Jefferson Blvd and pulled into El Ranchito's parking lot which was fairly full, ate there and it was No Bueno big time bang

Is there a reliable source online that is pretty accurate, Google has been a bust for me lately.

I don't read reviews on restaurants really. Everyone's tastes are different so what someone else doesn't like, I might think it tastes great. I more so read them for service reviews. I always filter by 1-2 star reviews and read those. Several of those you can tell they just have an axe to grind but a lot of them are honest reviews and they just had a horrible time.

I bet you're now wondering had you went to Alebrijes Cafe had it been really good rofl

[Linked Image]

Re: Making a Decision Based off of Online Reviews. [Re: Stub] #8864453 06/08/23 01:13 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
a lot of people base their eating out on google reviews, way more than I would have ever expected. We opened up our BBQ trailer 18 months ago and we get people all the time that say they stopped by just based on google. I never would have thought it made that big of a difference before we started.

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Making a Decision Based off of Online Reviews. [Re: Stub] #8864456 06/08/23 01:21 PM
P
Paluxy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I use Google and Amazon all the time, like KRoyal said you have to sort out the reviews. I throw out any reviews that are tagged as part of a promotion or the like. As far as food goes Yelp tends to be more accurate.

Re: Making a Decision Based off of Online Reviews. [Re: garrett] #8864458 06/08/23 01:22 PM
P
Paluxy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by garrett
a lot of people base their eating out on google reviews, way more than I would have ever expected. We opened up our BBQ trailer 18 months ago and we get people all the time that say they stopped by just based on google. I never would have thought it made that big of a difference before we started.

If you don't have ownership of your Google listing you should.

Re: Making a Decision Based off of Online Reviews. [Re: garrett] #8864459 06/08/23 01:23 PM
KRoyal Offline
Texoma Legend
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by garrett

It definitely does. My father in law just opened a bbq trailer up here in Denison. I'm the unpaid CEO as he calls me rofl.

I've been doing all his marketing, curbside online ordering, website, graphics, and google account. We've seen a huge uptick since opening. I have it tied to my google analytics account and get a monthly report. We have around 300% growth from month to month since opening of people asking for directions, phone calls, website visits all from his google business profile. Reviews have rolled in, but most go to FB to do the reviews instead of google, wish they'd put them on google as I think it helps a lot more.

I'd say probably 90% of people use google to find restaurants, maybe even higher.

[Linked Image]

Re: Making a Decision Based off of Online Reviews. [Re: Stub] #8864468 06/08/23 01:32 PM
topwater13 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I disagree about yelp...99% of those posting are unrealistic expectation karens. Hate that app.
Reviews are simply opinions....everyone has one and 50% are useless.

Re: Making a Decision Based off of Online Reviews. [Re: Stub] #8864474 06/08/23 01:44 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I am skeptical of reviews (and elections) and only use them as a guideline. There is no way to filter out the genuine reviews.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Making a Decision Based off of Online Reviews. [Re: Stub] #8864475 06/08/23 01:46 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Google reviews is a joke. A friend of mine started a business, and one of our members here made a great website for him. He also controls his Google reviews. I can assure you he had 15 good reviews before he had his first customer. You can also turn on a setting that puts you at the top of the search list. Every phone call you get during that time that comes from them touching your phone number in that top listing cost the owner $50 if you land the customer or not. He says it works and he turns it on if he sees a gap in his schedule he wants filled.

Bottom line it’s all a lie. Fortunately he has a solid business and great ethics. How many crappy business owners are also taking this route?

Re: Making a Decision Based off of Online Reviews. [Re: Stub] #8864476 06/08/23 01:46 PM
D
DukeCigars Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
If I’m in an unfamiliar area I do tend to lean towards reviews, but I take them all with a grain of salt

Last year while in SA, I read a 1 star review for a pub from some Cali Karen saying the “burgers were too greasy”. When I walked in and sat at the bar, it was a very local dive type place, they said they’d never seen me before and asked what brought me in. I told them about the review, followed by, “so where’s this burger at??” 😆

The reviews can be good entertainment and I treat them as such

But also to your point, especially having grown up in south Texas where the Mexican restaurants are plentiful, NEVER trust an empty parking lot at a Mexican joint

Car guy. Serial entrepreneur. Terrible golfer.
Re: Making a Decision Based off of Online Reviews. [Re: DukeCigars] #8864487 06/08/23 02:00 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by DukeCigars
. . . . But also to your point, especially having grown up in south Texas where the Mexican restaurants are plentiful, NEVER trust an empty parking lot at a Mexican joint

Look for work vehicles

Re: Making a Decision Based off of Online Reviews. [Re: topwater13] #8864488 06/08/23 02:00 PM
S
Stub Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by KRoyal

I don't read reviews on restaurants really. Everyone's tastes are different so what someone else doesn't like, I might think it tastes great. I more so read them for service reviews. I always filter by 1-2 star reviews and read those. Several of those you can tell they just have an axe to grind but a lot of them are honest reviews and they just had a horrible time.

I bet you're now wondering had you went to Alebrijes Cafe had it been really good rofl

Yep, you nailed it muyloco

Originally Posted by topwater13
I disagree about yelp...99% of those posting are unrealistic expectation karens. Hate that app.
Reviews are simply opinions....everyone has one and 50% are useless.

I do not trust Yelp either.

texas flag

—Groucho Marx

Re: Making a Decision Based off of Online Reviews. [Re: Stub] #8864491 06/08/23 02:05 PM
S
Stub Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Lets try a THF recommendation nidea

Taking my son out to lunch again today, need a recommendation on where to go for good Home Cooking like Chicken Fried Steak and such.
Need a location from Lewisville to Denton, appreciate the help!

texas flag

—Groucho Marx

Re: Making a Decision Based off of Online Reviews. [Re: Stub] #8864492 06/08/23 02:08 PM
KRoyal Offline
Texoma Legend
Texoma Legend

Taking my son out to lunch again today, need a recommendation on where to go for good Home Cooking like Chicken Fried Steak and such.

We've eaten at Rooster's Road House in Denton a couple times and have enjoyed it. I get the brisket nachos up

[Linked Image]

Re: Making a Decision Based off of Online Reviews. [Re: Hudbone] #8864494 06/08/23 02:12 PM
P
Paluxy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Hudbone
. . . . But also to your point, especially having grown up in south Texas where the Mexican restaurants are plentiful, NEVER trust an empty parking lot at a Mexican joint

Look for work vehicles

and look for mexicans

Re: Making a Decision Based off of Online Reviews. [Re: Stub] #8864496 06/08/23 02:15 PM
D
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I don’t usually use online reviews for restaurants. Too many weirdos out there with an axe to grind or whatever. Google reviews are sketchy. Easily manipulated and the fact someone would review a restaurant on google is a red flag for me on their opinion to start with.

If it’s a true restaurant review (like a travel website or newspaper or something) that holds a little more weight and can provide insight, but it’s not the determining factor. If I’m traveling and several websites include the same couple places on their “best restaurants in town” lists, I’ll trust those a little more.

For non-food related stuff, Amazon reviews are a decent place to look once you get a feel for how to filter through them, or if you only look for specific things you’re concerned about.

For example, if I’m looking for a new fishing rod for a specific technique, I’ll compare reviews from a couple different websites after reading the manufacturer’s description of the rod. I fish out of my kayak primarily, so I’m looking for different things than a guy with a bass boat. If I’m looking for a jerk bait rod, length of the handle is more of a concern for me than if I was standing on the deck of a bass boat because I don’t have the space to properly use the rod sitting on my kayak, so I’ll look for reviews that mention something about the rod handle and whether it affects the action of the rod for that technique.

Basically, I use reviews from writers testing a product and then look at consumer reviews to get a clearer picture of what I’m trying to achieve. This is more difficult for restaurants because people are weird about food and have different tastes.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Making a Decision Based off of Online Reviews. [Re: Stub] #8864499 06/08/23 02:19 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Yes I do, but not on things that are subjective, like taste... I ate at this restaurant in Taos, mainly because this guy talked about how good it was and he wanted to try everything on the menu, I went there and it was not that great. But something like AirBnB, reviews are important, lots of questions you might have are in those reviews.

It is important to read the reviews and see what people are saying, I read the bad reviews, then I read what else that person has said on other reviews, some people just like to bitch all the time.

Re: Making a Decision Based off of Online Reviews. [Re: Paluxy] #8864500 06/08/23 02:24 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Paluxy

Look for work vehicles

and look for mexicans

They usually drive work vehicles

Re: Making a Decision Based off of Online Reviews. [Re: Stub] #8864503 06/08/23 02:30 PM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
I always read reviews and am looking more for trends than anything else. If they have 15 bad reviews beyond nit picky stuff I wont go there. I am doing this with campgrounds and laundrymats today around Neana.

Big Beckett!!
Re: Making a Decision Based off of Online Reviews. [Re: Stub] #8864518 06/08/23 02:50 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Just my .02 cents. Yelp and Google and Amazon reviews can all be manipulated if the seller wants to spend the money to make it happen. I have had good luck with TripAdvisor. Especially on restaurant reviews. Harder to manipulate reviews on that app, and I've found that folks traveling and comparing different places to eat against each other do a better job than "locals" who may not know any better.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Making a Decision Based off of Online Reviews. [Re: Stub] #8864520 06/08/23 02:51 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Yes, I do and I look at Yelp more than Google...not so much around where I live but more new places I am.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Making a Decision Based off of Online Reviews. [Re: Stub] #8864521 06/08/23 02:53 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I always trust reviews and advice from people I do not know and have no experiences with - always.

Re: Making a Decision Based off of Online Reviews. [Re: Paluxy] #8864531 06/08/23 03:16 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by Paluxy

Look for work vehicles

and look for mexicans

This theory does NOT work for Chinese food. Chinese folks packed in a Chinese restaurant means you should turn your gringo [censored] around and find some Americanized grub.

Re: Making a Decision Based off of Online Reviews. [Re: Stub] #8864533 06/08/23 03:20 PM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I will look at reviews. Sometimes by reading them, you can tell what type of person you’re dealing with.

I think I pay more attention to pictures of the food.

Re: Making a Decision Based off of Online Reviews. [Re: KRoyal] #8864536 06/08/23 03:25 PM
C
chalet Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted by KRoyal

We've eaten at Rooster's Road House in Denton a couple times and have enjoyed it. I get the brisket nachos up

Roosters is good stuff. We eat there quite a bit.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide