Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Geez, a pen knife [Re: 603Country] #8845448 05/03/23 04:05 PM
S
spacejunkie Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
Did it come with a sheath? If so make sure to wear it where it is visible whenever he is around. If not have someone make you one that is worthy of this knife and do the same. Who knows you may learn to like wearing it. Him seeing you wearing it should be enough reward for him.

Re: Geez, a pen knife [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8845453 05/03/23 04:14 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
i get it Griptilian axis SV30 is my favorite knife.

Tough to beat a Benchmade folder.

Re: Geez, a pen knife [Re: spacejunkie] #8845458 05/03/23 04:17 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by spacejunkie
Him seeing you wearing it should be enough reward for him.

I don't know about this. Sounds like he needs to be showered with praise, him just simply seeing him wear it probably won't be enough for him.

[Linked Image]

Re: Geez, a pen knife [Re: 603Country] #8845486 05/03/23 05:02 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by 603Country
Like many of you, when I need or want something, I buy it. And that means I pretty much have all the stuff I need and a lot of stuff I don’t, which at one time I apparently thought I did need. I suppose that does make it hard for someone to get me a gift I really need. Strange that the daughter’s first husband managed to buy me things that I needed and that I didn’t know I needed. That is a big talent for gift giving. But when Christmas comes near, the wife wants info on what I want, so she can feed the info to the daughters. But, as always, I really don’t need anything, so tell her I need a couple of good pullover shirts (which I got), some Thorlo tennis socks (got the wrong ones, but made no mention of that), and a dark green cotton sweatshirt (every year I mention that and still don’t have one).

Bottom line is that I don’t need expensive things as gifts. Don’t want them. The other SIL teams up with that daughter and gets me a good pullover shirt and a gift certificate to Barnes and Noble. Perfect.

Now, quite honestly, I have to find a way to make the pen knife SIL content and not angry. I think it’s important that I find a way to do that. I am open to suggestions. Probably the tampon suggestion won’t stop the flow of anger (pun intended). Should I really skin a small pig with the knife and take pictures? That’s all I can come up with…

I really thought this year was drama free. Silly me…

Picture of you trading the pen knife in for a Ben Kabisch special probably wouldn't work, lol...

Last edited by DQ Kid; 05/03/23 05:02 PM.
Re: Geez, a pen knife [Re: 603Country] #8845491 05/03/23 05:13 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
I would never spend $800 on a knife.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Geez, a pen knife [Re: 603Country] #8845497 05/03/23 05:19 PM
Nolanco Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Well it IS a nice knife. But yeah, eight Franklin's worth??
Speaking of pen knives, I usually have a very small yellow-handled Victorinox on my keychain with two other keys. Last spring, I attended the airshow at Holloman AFB (I was living in Alamogordo). It was at least a half-mile walk from my truck to the entry where you had to go through a metal detector. An airman glanced at my belt, and said, "Sir is there a blade on that Leatherman you are wearing?" Of course there was. I would no sooner go out and about without my Leatherman than I would without my watch and glasses, so I walked back to the truck telling myself what an idiot I was for overlooking this, removed the Leatherman and trudged the half-mile back to the gate. By now it is in the upper 80s, warm but not hot of course, but warm. So I go back to the same table and the same airman, take off watch, belt, wallet, keys, etc. and put them in the bin. "Sir, is that a knife on your keychain?" I ain't walkin' back to my truck again, so I took the little Swiss knife off the keychain and dropped in the garbage can. Bill, just how stupid can get, I muttered as I put my stuff back on and proceeded to the flightline. I found that little Victorinox pretty useful, so I replaced it with the same model off Amazon.
I am a huge fan of military hardware and try never to miss an airshow. Dyess AFB put on a great one on April 22. This time I was smart enough not to even put on the Leatherman that morning. But being the old fool that I am, when I got to the screening booth and put my stuff in the bowl, the airman looked at me and said "Sir, is that a knife on your keychain?" That's Victorinox No. 2 into the trash. I sure hope they go through the knife and contraband trashcans and that someone gets some use out of this stuff.
Fortunately these little fellas are inexpensive, nothing like Damascus-bladed pen knives ...

Last edited by Nolanco; 05/03/23 05:20 PM.
Re: Geez, a pen knife [Re: 603Country] #8845530 05/03/23 05:49 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
You are right on with the small pig idea, just express your appreciation for such a fine knife.

Re: Geez, a pen knife [Re: bigbob_ftw] #8845552 05/03/23 06:22 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
I would never spend $800 on a knife.

Yea my stepdad bought me a Microtech Halo 6 OTF knife. They're $650 knife.

I'd have no qualms about carrying it and abusing the hell out of it, but this thing is more like a dagger than a carry knife lol.

It has sat in my safe for probably 5 years now collecting dust. I take it out and play with it every once in a while, but then back to the safe it goes.

I'll probably never sell it though since it was a gift, unless things go really bad.

Here is a picture I found online kind of shows you a point of reference of the size with the AR15 behind it. This knife is massive.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Geez, a pen knife [Re: 603Country] #8845567 05/03/23 06:44 PM
N
NORML as can be Offline
^^Cut the Cord^^
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
You could do some serious trimming with that thing.

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Geez, a pen knife [Re: 603Country] #8845587 05/03/23 07:16 PM
603Country Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Ok, I called the neighbor bout a little pig. He has sounders. I don’t, but don’t know why. His feeder is 400 or 500 yards from mine. Anyway, he knows about the pen knife thing. I asked him to set his trap, and if he caught a small to medium sized pig, I’d skin it (or part of it) with the pen knife and give him the meat. The wife can take pictures of me smiling and holding a little bloody knife. The stage is set. All I need is a cooperating pig.

Sure wish the SIL had bought me one of those like KRoyal’s got. That’s a man’s knife. Might be a bit big, but I could use it. The Griptilian I have is just about right. Not too big nor too small. Built solid and holds an edge that’ll hold up for pig skinning. Sharpens easy too.

I’ll copy y’all in on the pig skinning pic. Don’t know when that’ll be.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Geez, a pen knife [Re: 603Country] #8845664 05/03/23 09:13 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Sounds to me like the son in law likes you, even though he may not understand you. He tried to get you a nice knife. Just doesn’t know what that looks like. I wouldn’t do anything. Throwing gas on a fire makes it bigger. If left alone it will eventually burn out on its own. Play dumb and don’t get pulled into the drama and be happy he is good to your daughter.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Geez, a pen knife [Re: Smokey Bear] #8845679 05/03/23 09:23 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
Sounds to me like the son in law likes you, even though he may not understand you. He tried to get you a nice knife. Just doesn’t know what that looks like. I wouldn’t do anything. Throwing gas on a fire makes it bigger. If left alone it will eventually burn out on its own. Play dumb and don’t get pulled into the drama and be happy he is good to your daughter.

Solid guidance. That being said, and I've said it before on here, I have 3 son-in-laws - I don't like any of them. mad

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Geez, a pen knife [Re: Smokey Bear] #8845804 05/04/23 12:46 AM
L
LoneStarSon Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear

I agree. It sounds like he's trying to bond/make a connection somehow. Perhaps he doesn't have/didn't have a good male role model growing up and wants to get in your good graces and just doesn't know how...I get it, I'm uncomfortable when anyone buys me ANYTHING, much less something like that...Heck, I don't think anyone has ever spent that much on me...

Re: Geez, a pen knife [Re: 603Country] #8845833 05/04/23 01:22 AM
603Country Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
I’m pretty sure he likes me, or at least did like me. And he’s a decent SIL. And the younger daughters hubby is a good guy and I like him too. And, for the record, the younger SiL’s family has WAY more drama than we ever could. But, I won’t bore you with that info. It’s pretty juicy though.

Anyway, the plan going forward is this. He wants the knife to be an heirloom that I pass down. Well, an heirloom needs a history, so that’s what we’ll do, starting with a little pig skinning. Making some history. I’ll have to think up some more heirloom type history stuff to do.

I feel like I need to do something, and not let this simmer. All I wanted was socks…

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Geez, a pen knife [Re: 603Country] #8845855 05/04/23 01:57 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by 603Country
I’m pretty sure he likes me, or at least did like me. And he’s a decent SIL. And the younger daughters hubby is a good guy and I like him too. And, for the record, the younger SiL’s family has WAY more drama than we ever could. But, I won’t bore you with that info. It’s pretty juicy though.

Anyway, the plan going forward is this. He wants the knife to be an heirloom that I pass down. Well, an heirloom needs a history, so that’s what we’ll do, starting with a little pig skinning. Making some history. I’ll have to think up some more heirloom type history stuff to do.

I feel like I need to do something, and not let this simmer. All I wanted was socks…

You should definitely print out a copy of this thread and pass it down with the knife. Would definitely be a good heirloom story rofl

[Linked Image]

Re: Geez, a pen knife [Re: 603Country] #8845858 05/04/23 02:01 AM
N
NORML as can be Offline
^^Cut the Cord^^
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
If it was me and I saw this before he passed, I'd want it back.

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Geez, a pen knife [Re: Hudbone] #8845887 05/04/23 03:03 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Hudbone
My perception is 603 appreciates the simple and the practical. He'll rave about a shrimp cocktail. Besides Pearl Beer memorabilia (no one collects that crap), I ain't into much of the finer stuff unless it can be used as a tool or consumed. Bought a custom knife off this forum because of it 's potential for use and not the fact the durn thing has an awesome look and someone else would put it in a display case. Would never spend $800 on a gift for someone else unless without a doubt I knew for certain they would have a use for it.

For Christmas, Golden Child and SIL blew up a very nicely done photo of the Frio River down below our river house and nearer Garner Park. I am sure they thought real hard about it and the darn thing is gorgeous. It is also very large - about 2 1/2 feet by 3 1/2 feet, We have multiple homes and a 3,700 SF office. Where do you put that there photo? It ain't gong at the River House, because, well, we have the real thing to look at.

Somes don't air what others would consider to be their "dirty laundry" and I do get that. 603 be a different bird. Although "look at me" doesn't appear to be in his vocabulary, he can bring up things which makes me look at my own situation and find appreciation. I find his insights into peculiar behaviours within his immediate surroundings to oftentimes be "interesting" if not downright entertaining.

So, what happened to your usual 5 word post limit? Getting a little long winded these days.....

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Geez, a pen knife [Re: 603Country] #8845895 05/04/23 03:24 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Who is being snarky now?

Re: Geez, a pen knife [Re: 603Country] #8845896 05/04/23 03:26 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
That was just five words.

Re: Geez, a pen knife [Re: 603Country] #8845909 05/04/23 03:51 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
The new you, explaining yourself.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide