Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: Hunter-Steve] #8826509 03/31/23 02:38 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

I started 36 wild plums last week for a small grove and have to buy 6-10 peaches. Getting three different varieties (early, middle, and late fruiting).

Originally Posted by Hunter-Steve
Wow!!! That’s first class setup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8826839 04/01/23 03:08 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
What about fire ant poison around bee hives? I’m waging full scale war against fire ants this year. My six hives should be delivered in 3-4 weeks.

Jess, I have read quite a few beekeepers in the south that have had trouble with imported fire ants, I have as well, other ants are more a nuisance. I actually had some getting in brood in a large hive. but that was the worst I've had. I don't mind fire ants as long as they can't get in my hives, they seemed to be fit for dealing with hive beetle larva and occasional wax moth larva.

I have my hives on metal stands now with 1" pipe legs sitting in tuna cans filed with oil. Many folks I know use grease on the stand legs, diatomaceous earth, cinnamon and various other concoctions for fire ants. No way I'm using a pesticide around my hives, see to many coming in full and land short, I also have a watering hole loaded with bees daily not 15' from my hives. I just use the cans and tolerate the ants for they good they do cleaning up any larva that fall out, works for me,

You will find that beekeeping is "local" and what works for some, doesn't for others, though the basics are the same.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8826842 04/01/23 03:12 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Bradybuck, those are nice photos, queen appears to have been a good one at least last summer. Seems she would have got you to 2 boxes last year.

Dennis

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8826846 04/01/23 03:16 AM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
looking good,sir up

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8826849 04/01/23 03:35 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Jess, just recalled an "insecticide" I have used with great effect that is labeled as organic, will still kill bees when wet, but has short field life and is ok for them when dry. Spinosad, have used it for several years, treating fruit trees, garden plants as a spray in late evening and also as a ant mound drench. Works as a contact spray and real effective on plant eating bugs,

Dennis

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8826850 04/01/23 03:37 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Western, thank you for helping my people lol. You a good one Sir

[Linked Image]
Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: Bee'z] #8826853 04/01/23 03:41 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by Bee'z
Western, thank you for helping my people lol. You a good one Sir

Hey yo Bee'z! new name..again? lol irs, ex gf? reason? I'm not much help, just try to add what I've experienced with bee's, one hobby that is so similar for beeks, but each apiary can be different.

Dennis

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8831201 04/10/23 01:02 AM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Slowly making progress…. Very slowly! bang

Got the raised beds done. Red honey suckle planted on the inside panels and star jasmine on the outside. All the fabric is done except a pass around the outside beds. Inside is ready for mulch on the beds and pea gravel on the paths. Bees should be delivered in the next 3-6 weeks.

Hope to have everything done within the next week or two….

The fabric in front will have 36 wild plums (to start) and creates a mowing buffer in front of the hives…

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ran out of clips to finish the last fabric run out the outside beds…

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The six hives will be about a third of the way from the back it the wood ring facing S-SE on a 12’ long 18” tall stand. Wood chip mulch will be on the raised beds with pea gravel on the paths between the beds…

[Linked Image]

Made three entrances/exits to the hives…one on each side of the front and one center of the back (north side). The panels should provide a wind break, visual screen, and food for the bees…

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8831538 04/10/23 07:19 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
That looks awesome SnakeWrangler!!!! I like your style, anything worth doing is worth doing over the top and not cutting corners…

Did you order complete hives or nucs?

Last edited by Ol Thumper; 04/10/23 07:21 PM.
Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #8831570 04/10/23 08:24 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Complete hives. Will have the stand, six boxes with five empty frames in each, and six five frame nucs….

This has been a ton of work up front but designed and built for minimal maintenance going forward….

All drought tolerant plants plus eliminating a large area from regular lawn maintenance

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: Western] #8831582 04/10/23 08:44 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Western
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
Does anyone have any experience with the Flowhives? My wife bought a couple of these for here at the house and I’d never even heard of something like this before so I’m curious what other bee keepers think about them. I put them together today and they seem like a really well built/thought out box and super easy to maintain but time will tell I guess.

She’s been going to classes the last couple months trying to get a crash course in bee keeping but does anyone have any must know and must have items to keep on hand at all times? She’s purchased all the tools, gadgets and safety gear already but me being as OCD as I am I want to have anything she might need eventually on hand. I’m thinking like pest control, food, supplements, etc etc. so I can go ahead and order for her before she needs it. I’d appreciate any and all help,

Hey Thumper, Just mho, I think they are a bit gimmicky and lead one to believe it is as easy as just turning a spout and at a premium price for the novelty. I an sure the wife has learned enough by now to know all the work in keeping bees alive will still be the same.

I also have some reservation on what honey comes out of the spout, if the moisture content is to high, it will start to ferment. That is an issue for standard Langstroth hives but possibly easier to pull my frames and see where the bees are in capping cells. May not even be an issue for her to go to that trouble.

I have read several threads about them, there are a few guys that like them, but many that get frustrated. From what I've been told, they really need a long, strong nectar flow to really work well, as they have in Australia where the father and son developed them.

In any event, welcome her to the clan lol, it is a fascinating, frustrating at times hobby. Varroa mites are the enemy.....

EDIT: Get her a Refractometer, This is good for anyone that will jar honey, especially if you intend to sell or give honey away

I have this one and it works great and easy to calibrate using extra virgin olive oil
https://www.amazon.com/Refractomete...;linkId=f325044b5202ed01a740d1c9fcaf9a3a

I appreciate the feedback and sorry I missed you responding to my post, things have changed a little since I posted that though lol, I’ve become hooked into this ride myself so I opted to up the game a little on the total number of langstroth hives to make it a little more interesting.

As far the mites I bought a InstaVap vaporizer to wage war on those evil little devils so we shall see how that works out and we did buy a nice refractometer to check the moisture content when we get to that point so for now I think we’re ok, that’s what I’m telling myself anyway smile.

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8831706 04/11/23 12:19 AM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
There is a bee hive in my water meter NE of Canton that is going to get nuked tomorrow. Have to turn it off to do some work on the house. If anybody can get to it before the plumbers do it tomorrow they can have it.

Make America Great Again

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8831810 04/11/23 02:36 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Complete hives. Will have the stand, six boxes with five empty frames in each, and six five frame nucs….

This has been a ton of work up front but designed and built for minimal maintenance going forward….

All drought tolerant plants plus eliminating a large area from regular lawn maintenance

Pretty much how it has to be done, spring nucs will go into regular equipment, or they will quickly outgrow a nuc box.

A lot of work for sure, so is it a bee yard with plants, or plants with a bee yard? grin Either way it will look great!

Dennis

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #8831817 04/11/23 02:54 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Does anyone have any experience with the Flowhives? My wife bought a couple of these for here at the house and I’d never even heard of something like this before so I’m curious what other bee keepers think about them. I put them together today and they seem like a really well built/thought out box and super easy to maintain but time will tell I guess.

She’s been going to classes the last couple months trying to get a crash course in bee keeping but does anyone have any must know and must have items to keep on hand at all times? She’s purchased all the tools, gadgets and safety gear already but me being as OCD as I am I want to have anything she might need eventually on hand. I’m thinking like pest control, food, supplements, etc etc. so I can go ahead and order for her before she needs it. I’d appreciate any and all help,

Hey Thumper, Just mho, I think they are a bit gimmicky and lead one to believe it is as easy as just turning a spout and at a premium price for the novelty. I an sure the wife has learned enough by now to know all the work in keeping bees alive will still be the same.

I also have some reservation on what honey comes out of the spout, if the moisture content is to high, it will start to ferment. That is an issue for standard Langstroth hives but possibly easier to pull my frames and see where the bees are in capping cells. May not even be an issue for her to go to that trouble.

I have read several threads about them, there are a few guys that like them, but many that get frustrated. From what I've been told, they really need a long, strong nectar flow to really work well, as they have in Australia where the father and son developed them.

In any event, welcome her to the clan lol, it is a fascinating, frustrating at times hobby. Varroa mites are the enemy.....

EDIT: Get her a Refractometer, This is good for anyone that will jar honey, especially if you intend to sell or give honey away

I have this one and it works great and easy to calibrate using extra virgin olive oil
https://www.amazon.com/Refractomete...;linkId=f325044b5202ed01a740d1c9fcaf9a3a

I appreciate the feedback and sorry I missed you responding to my post, things have changed a little since I posted that though lol, I’ve become hooked into this ride myself so I opted to up the game a little on the total number of langstroth hives to make it a little more interesting.

As far the mites I bought a InstaVap vaporizer to wage war on those evil little devils so we shall see how that works out and we did buy a nice refractometer to check the moisture content when we get to that point so for now I think we’re ok, that’s what I’m telling myself anyway smile.

Those insatvaps are pretty new to the scene and BA too! I have one I use with my generator made in Canada that has been good, but those 18v sure look sexy and damn convenient for remote locations..

I'd start thinking on a full ipm program as far as using your Vap and alternating with something else, something that is more effective when bees have brood. . You'll want to treat around Aug so your summer bees can raise you strong overwinter bees OAV (Oxalic Acid vapor) Works best as a winter treatment when there is little to no brood. OAV will do a controlled knocked down at times, or at least steady the mite count until you can get on a better treatment for that time of year.

Good ones to look into just mind the temp protocols and application. Apivar strips ( synthetic, Amitraz), Formic Pro and apiguard is common and at the right time are great on mites

Dennis

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8831829 04/11/23 03:12 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Set up for 4 new hives today, grafted 8 cells last Monday hoping for 3 and ended up getting 4 from a great queen. Will take a photo or two Wednesday when I pull the cells if any one is interested.

Working out to perfect timing, had 3 boxes close to swarm strength, q cells in one, so I was able to knock them back taking bees and brood for the startups.

Dennis

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: Western] #8832493 04/12/23 01:54 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Set up for 4 new hives today, grafted 8 cells last Monday hoping for 3 and ended up getting 4 from a great queen. Will take a photo or two Wednesday when I pull the cells if any one is interested.

Working out to perfect timing, had 3 boxes close to swarm strength, q cells in one, so I was able to knock them back taking bees and brood for the startups.

I’d love to see the pics when you get some..

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8834587 04/16/23 01:18 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Ol Thumper
I dropped the ball Tuesday. Went out in just a veil. one of those Bishes flew into my t shirt sleeve and decided to have her Alamo in my arm pit. That one hurt for 2 days and got me all side tracked and in a hurry.

Did manage to get some painting help tho, did a heck of a job for his grandpa
[Linked Image]

Dennis

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8834654 04/16/23 06:09 AM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I understand how that goes, tender spot to get hammered roflmao When he gets finished with those box’s send him my way please, I need some painted to…

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8834691 04/16/23 11:32 AM
S
soooo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
A paste of meat tenderizer containing papain will take the pain of a sting away. The sooner the better. Works on red wasps even.

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #8834799 04/16/23 03:30 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I understand how that goes, tender spot to get hammered roflmao When he gets finished with those box’s send him my way please, I need some painted to…

He isn't cheap! $5 and 2 lollipop suckers!, kid drives a hard bargain!
BTW, used blue to lavender and purple, bees see that color easy and it makes it easier for a new queen to locate her home after her mating flights. (That is the theory anyway)

I took a benadryl and that does the job for me, some spots hurt more then others for me, shots in the temple are a mofo too.

Dennis

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8834856 04/16/23 05:39 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
10 day old package of bee’s, they’ve been busy girls so far. [Linked Image]

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8834871 04/16/23 06:32 PM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Had a hive in my water meter that the bee removal guy took care of the other day. I was surprised...in my years of helping dad with his bees I don't recall a hive being so docile without smoke.

[Linked Image]

Make America Great Again

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8834880 04/16/23 07:07 PM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Basic bee questions.

1. If you had 5 bee boxes. How much honey would that produce per year?

2. When you take out the frames to harvest the honey, where do the bees go?

3. How often do you harvest the honey? Once a year, twice a year ?

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #8835065 04/17/23 02:26 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
10 day old package of bee’s, they’ve been busy girls so far. [Linked Image]

Looks like a big ole Italian style queen with nice bright license plate!

Dennis

Re: THF Beekeeping Thread [Re: BradyBuck] #8835068 04/17/23 02:30 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Tbar, my hunch just looking at the comb, is that is a small, new swarm setting up shop, usually pretty docile as they have little invested so far. Hives your dad had where probably much larger and had more reason to protect.

Dennis

Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide