Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Your Most Amazing Shot [Re: BenBob] #8819377 03/17/23 02:49 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I was going to claim I got nothing before I remembered shooting a wild turkey "off wing" many years ago while hunting a clear cut. After working him in for an initial shot with my trusty Remington Model 1100 only to miss, I took a follow up shot as he flew straight overhead at what must have been at least 40 feet. It was purely a reaction more than anything else and I can assure you a wild turkey makes a hell of a racket once it hits the ground from that distance. Yes, the 30-inch full choke bailed me out that day.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 03/17/23 02:56 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Your Most Amazing Shot [Re: BenBob] #8819410 03/17/23 04:35 AM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
I was hunting the last day of buck season when cold ice and sleet set in. A buck came in at a little over 100 yards when I put my cross hairs on him and pulled the trigger. I heard shrapnel hitting the trees and brush as the buck turned and flew 7' in the air over the scrub and brush. Searched for a sign of a hit and all I found was a piece of the jacket laying on top of the sleet and Ice. Was told by the Hornady Tech that particular bullet was know to disintegrate midflight. One of those wouldn't have believed it if I wasn't there things.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Your Most Amazing Shot [Re: BenBob] #8819773 03/17/23 11:19 PM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
We were hunting blues one evening when I saw a bobcat in the brush ahead of us. Dropped the hammer on a #6 high brass and he dropped in his tracks. When I went looking for him I found two dead bobcats.

What are the odds?

Make America Great Again

Re: Your Most Amazing Shot [Re: BenBob] #8819838 03/18/23 01:28 AM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
This year actually. It was a Panhandle-windy (20-30mph) November day and I was walking back to camp after a morning hunt and was nearly there, when I saw a cull locked down with a bedded doe out in the pasture at the foot of a berm. Been hunting about 10 days and hadn't seen a mature buck and knew I didn't want this guy breeding, so I decided to take the shot.

Got back to the truck and ranged the buck at 235 yards. Went inside to put my 6.8 on the rack and pulled out my .308 loaded with 150gr SST handloads and zeroed at 100 yards. I rested the rifle across the sidewall of the truck bed and felt the wind jostling the truck a bit. I was aimed NE into a NW wind and put the crosshairs just a bit back on the buck into the wind to account for drift and aimed a little high to account for the range. Finally pulled the trigger, and my bullet hit exactly where I was aiming. No drift, no drop. Buck dropped like a sack.

Not impressive for some folks, and I've certainly made many further shots at targets with iron sights, but it's the longest shot I've ever taken on an animal and I'm happy that I was lucky enough that it all went well.

[Linked Image]
Re: Your Most Amazing Shot [Re: BenBob] #8821069 03/20/23 06:23 PM
D
duffas Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Not me but friend (early teen yrs). We went to quarry to plink, then on the way back he sees a bird on the tele pole. 30/30 goes bang and woodpecker falls. IIRC, bird had no head feathers left. But then I did learn about playing possum a while back. Kick it, stomp on it, pick it up and no reaction when tossing over the fence. Nowhere to be found the next day.

Last edited by duffas; 03/20/23 06:26 PM.
Re: Your Most Amazing Shot [Re: jnd59] #8821181 03/20/23 10:45 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by jnd59
I was hunting Himalayan blue sheep in Nepal at 18,000 feet. The winds were at 20 out of the southwest. It was a balmy 36 and we were worried the ice would move on us and leave no return path from our current purch. At about 11 am guide spotted a legal ram. I ranged him at over 900 yards. We glassed the terrain for a way across and finally found a path that would get us to just over 600. It took us three hours to traverse the glacier in those conditions. By the time we got there Temps had fallen and blowing snow had started. We were losing visibility so I decided to take the shot at 634 yards. Now it was a waiting game to see if he would stand before blizzard conditions set in. Finally, about 40 minutes later he stood, turned away and then stepped up on an ice shelf and turned broadside. I made my shot and we saw him fall and slide about 50 yards. There wasn't much time for celebration as we'd already pushed the limit in that weather. We were packing up to go when I glassed him one final time. I noticed he was moving. It was hard to make out but something big was pulling him. Pulling him by his leg...
Just like I'm pulling yours.

grin

Best story so far!

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Your Most Amazing Shot [Re: BenBob] #8821209 03/20/23 11:36 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I was on a hunt (coyote and turkey) near D’Hanis. I needed to check the scope on my 220 Swift, and the ranch had a 100 yard range. There were a few people shooting and the son of the ranch owner asked if I wanted to join them. I said I’d prefer to wait till they were finished and I could have the one-bench range to myself. They finished up and we walked to the bench, and the guy started making a big bullseye with a marksalot. Whoa, I said. Let me draw the bullseye, and I made a dot about the size of a 22 caliber bullet hole - the size of your little finger fingernail. He hooted and laughed, but we hung the target and walked back to the bench. They had sandbags, so I got the gun all snugged in. The rifle was a Ruger 77V with a 6-24 scope on it, and I had been shooting it a bunch at a local range. I was dialed in and had great hand loads. So I cranked off a round and he started hooting again that I had missed. The hole was 1” high, but that’s how I had the scope set. I told him, but he wasn’t having any of that, and he was still having fun at my expense. So I asked him if I needed to actually hit the dot, and he said sure, if you can. Still smiling. So I snuggled in again, aimed an inch low and fired. He said “you missed the paper completely”. Well, that wasn’t likely, so we walked down to find the dot was now a bullet hole. By golly, he was impressed now. And the next year, when I showed up to hunt, he introduced me as “the guy that shot the dot”. Apparently he had been telling that story to the customers.

Happily, they did not ask me to make that shot again. Doubt I could have, though I’d have been able to be close, for sure. That was the first barrel on that rifle, and it was amazing till I finally wore it out.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Your Most Amazing Shot [Re: txtrophy85] #8821408 03/21/23 12:35 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by jnd59
I was hunting Himalayan blue sheep in Nepal at 18,000 feet. The winds were at 20 out of the southwest. It was a balmy 36 and we were worried the ice would move on us and leave no return path from our current purch. At about 11 am guide spotted a legal ram. I ranged him at over 900 yards. We glassed the terrain for a way across and finally found a path that would get us to just over 600. It took us three hours to traverse the glacier in those conditions. By the time we got there Temps had fallen and blowing snow had started. We were losing visibility so I decided to take the shot at 634 yards. Now it was a waiting game to see if he would stand before blizzard conditions set in. Finally, about 40 minutes later he stood, turned away and then stepped up on an ice shelf and turned broadside. I made my shot and we saw him fall and slide about 50 yards. There wasn't much time for celebration as we'd already pushed the limit in that weather. We were packing up to go when I glassed him one final time. I noticed he was moving. It was hard to make out but something big was pulling him. Pulling him by his leg...
Just like I'm pulling yours.

grin

Best story so far!

Yep rofl

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: Your Most Amazing Shot [Re: BenBob] #8821680 03/21/23 08:02 PM
K
Kevin Heath Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
K
I have 2, one was me and one was my dad. Fifteen or so years my Dad, my Uncle Bill, and myself were turkey hunting in South Texas. My Dad was shooting a Browning BPS with a turkey full choke loaded with 3 1/2" #4's. He took a tom at about 28 yds, when we went to get my Uncle Bill was like what in the hell is that and at 78 (taped) yds. he dropped a second bird, that he should have no way in hell hit, let alone killed.
Mine was a fluke, I fired a snap shot at a buck with my open sighted .30/.30. He was running away, crossing left to right at about 75 yds, I let 'er bang and he dropped like a penny in a well. Only reason I even took the shot was he was in front of a 30 ft high pond dam.

Some days you're the pigeon, other days you are the statue!
Re: Your Most Amazing Shot [Re: BenBob] #8822172 03/22/23 08:24 PM
B
Baldpate Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
In the early 1980's I was walking my Father in Law to a new stand on top of a small hill in Llano, where I had found an old tree blind. It was still "sturdy" so I was going to put him in it that afternoon. As we are moving up the hill I hear a bunch of thrashing and a nice 8 pt buck jumps up at about 40 yards and high tails it our of town. It was so dense that I only got a split second of a glimpse at him with my Model 94 open sights 30-30 - I reflexly shot at the base of his neck and piled him up right there. Maybe some skill, mostly luck- but it was witnessed !

Also once during Spring Snow goose season we had no decoying shots but the flock of about 1000 birds piled into the field next to us- which we had permission to hunt. I couldn't stand it any longer so, I belly crawled about 300 yards to get close and then jumped up and ran at the flock like a wildman, raised my 835 Ultimag and fired 3 times at the darkest goose in the group. As the cloud rose, a single mature eagle headed blue goose fell out, stone dead. I have that goose mounted and it's one of my prize possessions of waterfowling .

Re: Your Most Amazing Shot [Re: BenBob] #8822477 03/23/23 03:10 PM
B
bronco71 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Many years ago when I had first started deer hunting as a kid my dad took me to a lease and we drove to our assigned pasture, parked and started to gear up. We were at the bottom end of a small canyon and when I slammed the truck door a legal 8 point jumped up out of the brush on the hillside to our left about 100 yards out and ran full speed across in front of us. Dad swung on him and shot and he dropped like a bag of potatoes. We walked over as I paced off a bit over 100 yards to find him shot thru the head. I was quite impressed. Dad admitted it was pure luck as the buck had jumped across the creek and run into dad's bullet....

Re: Your Most Amazing Shot [Re: BenBob] #8822633 03/23/23 08:44 PM
T
TPACK Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
I shot my Ruger Single Six 22 at a bird that was at least 70+ yards and killed it with one shot. I also shot out a streetlight with one shot with a Ruger 22 automatic that was almost 100 yards in 1978. Glad the statutes of limitations ran out on that. LOL

Now explain why it took me 4 shots to hit an armadillo @ 20 feet with my Taurus 38. I sold the gun within a month after missing too.

Re: Your Most Amazing Shot [Re: BenBob] #8822808 03/24/23 01:40 AM
71Rcode Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
75-80 yards Daisy/PowerPoint 880 .177 scoped . Took a shot across the cul-de-sac into the neighbor's backyard the top of an oak tree at a big fat male grackle...shot its beak off dropped it dead.

1983 or so. That rifle probably took a thousand grackles.

NRA Life Member & GOA Member
Always interested in Marlins. Let me know what you have for sale!
Re: Your Most Amazing Shot [Re: BenBob] #8822823 03/24/23 02:05 AM
C
CoyoteHill Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
My dad and I had finished a morning hunt on the east side of Athens and were driving across the pasture. This coyote gets up and is trotting at an angle away from us right to left. I'm driving, my dad says here is a 22.250 if you want to take a shot. I stopped the truck, grabbed the 22-250 and jumped out, made the shot at 200 yards and the coyote dropped in his tracks. We drove up and I had hit him right behind the left ear. My dad was in disbelief that I hit that coyote at that distance just standing outside the truck. I told him I was actually off, that I was aiming for his ear and missed by half an inch. He just shook his head. In reality, I spotted that coyote, put the cross hair on fur and pulled the trigger. I never told him any different. lol

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide