Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: SR025] #8787956 01/25/23 09:18 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by SR025
One thing I’ve been curious about with the pellets. Are they pressed together or do they have a binder like glue or something?

pressed

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8787968 01/25/23 09:43 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Finally a pellet grill/smoker thread grin

I have a stick burner, enjoy cooking on it while having a cold one or twelve.
If the tooth fairy or Santa gave me a good pellet grill I would certainly use when time does not permit me to baby sit the Smoker or the weather is not cooperating.

Last edited by Stub; 01/25/23 09:43 PM.

texas Faith, Family and Freedom flag

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8787987 01/25/23 10:01 PM
D
Drop Tine Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Anyone have one of these? Masterbuilt Gravity Charcoal Griddle/Grill/Smoker Combo

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Masterb...oker-Combo-in-Black-MB20040221/316379259

[Linked Image]
Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8787995 01/25/23 10:09 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
As usual, most of the folks railing against pellets don't own one. I've had three pork butts and two briskets on my 700 Bull at a time and have fed dozens of people more than a time or two, and not a single one ever said, "Oh man, that pellet-smoked meat ain't nearly as good as if it came off a real stick burner." They freaking loved it.

With quality pellets on a quality pellet smoker, I doubt very seriously any muldoon in this thread could tell a difference in a blind taste test. I've had every kind of smoker, except propane, and I loved everything that came off of all of them. Every smoker has its place and all the smoker hate is dumb. You do you.

Burning in...

[Linked Image]

Lots of space... only one brisket with these three pork butts.

[Linked Image]

Smoked cheese.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: Drop Tine] #8788009 01/25/23 10:36 PM
E
Espy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted by Drop Tine
Anyone have one of these? Masterbuilt Gravity Charcoal Griddle/Grill/Smoker Combo

I worked on one last week. The fan went out replaced it and it worked fine. The owner is an old bbq man he said he enjoys cooking on it. He said the food come out really good not competition good but family good.

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: SR025] #8788039 01/25/23 11:24 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by SR025
One thing I’ve been curious about with the pellets. Are they pressed together or do they have a binder like glue or something?

100% wood

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8788041 01/25/23 11:30 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
If I couldn't have a kando, yoder,or lonestar I would probably get a Reqteq.
I would not get a Traeger

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: BradyBuck] #8788049 01/25/23 11:49 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by BradyBuck
I believe with all things considered the RecTeq 700 is the best bang for your buck. Really nice smoker!

I love a good stick offset as much as anyone but I really enjoy my pellet smoker. I can smoke a brisket for 15 hours or crank it up and grill some burgers or amazing steaks. They are just extremely versatile.

If you are used to a regular offset wood burning smoker I suggest to drop your temp and smoke longer than you typically would.

So for a brisket I like to go 225 or less and will try and not wrap until 170 where on a wood smoker I would go 250-275 and wrap at 160. Just seems like the extra time on the smoke with a pellet helps out in my experience.

https://www.recteq.com/products/rt-700-wood-pellet-grill

Based on research and feedback this is where I’m leaning…..

Read several reviews and looks like a solid value smoker for what we’re looking for…

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: kry226] #8788050 01/25/23 11:50 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by kry226
As usual, most of the folks railing against pellets don't own one. I've had three pork butts and two briskets on my 700 Bull at a time and have fed dozens of people more than a time or two, and not a single one ever said, "Oh man, that pellet-smoked meat ain't nearly as good as if it came off a real stick burner." They freaking loved it.

With quality pellets on a quality pellet smoker, I doubt very seriously any muldoon in this thread could tell a difference in a blind taste test. I've had every kind of smoker, except propane, and I loved everything that came off of all of them. Every smoker has its place and all the smoker hate is dumb. You do you.

Burning in...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Smoked cheese.

[Linked Image]

That all looks amazing……

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8788053 01/25/23 11:52 PM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I've had a few over the years. This is the last one I bought and could not be happier. Best bang for your buck. 29lb hopper. Flat deflector plate making it easy to line with foil for easy clean up. I just use it to smoke.

I have a propane grill and a charcoal grill for steaks, burgers, shrimp and such.

Victory Pellet Grill

Bobby Barnett

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: Drop Tine] #8788066 01/26/23 12:13 AM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Drop Tine

I think BigBob has said he has one.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8788076 01/26/23 12:35 AM
T
TexFlip Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
No love for Pitts and Spitts?

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8788224 01/26/23 03:39 AM
S
Sauerkraut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I have a Camp Chef and I really like it. For what it’s worth, the Wi-Fi function is extremely useful. I can start a smoke, go to work, and tell ask my wife to pull it when it hits temp.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." - Ecclesiastes 9:10
Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: TexFlip] #8788244 01/26/23 04:42 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by TexFlip

What I didn’t like about the Pitts & Spitts and a lot of the other brands is the length of the auger. Those pellets have to travel over a foot through an auger and pipe, and if not properly cleaned every single use, they can swell and clog the auger, which is a nightmare to unclog.

I believe RecTec and Yoder have the shortest augers and in Yoder’s, there no actual pipe for it to travel down.

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: Paluxy] #8788316 01/26/23 12:22 PM
Superduty Offline
"The Regulator"
"The Regulator"
Originally Posted by Paluxy
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Et tu, Brute?

What is happening.......

roflmao

[Linked Image]

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8788318 01/26/23 12:24 PM
Superduty Offline
"The Regulator"
"The Regulator"
Komado here for me. It is a set it and forget it as well, and no need for pellets (cost).

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: kry226] #8788431 01/26/23 03:10 PM
J
jdangler Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J

Burning in...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Smoked cheese.

[Linked Image]

Is the cold smoke box attachment for the 700 worth the money? I have been kicking around getting one for a while, not real sure if I would use it much though.

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: kry226] #8788449 01/26/23 03:28 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
As usual, most of the folks railing against pellets don't own one.

Well, I don't have one, and for good reason. I used my BIL's a long time ago and did not like it. I also have a buddy down in houston and went to visit him last summer. He wanted me to show him how I make my Brisket so good, so we did it on his pellet smoker. It turned out like chit.

Pellet smokers are not real indirect heat. the heat still comes from directly below the meat, and it's too easy to scorch your meat. Also, you can't get that nice blue smoke that you get from real wood and a solid bed of coals. It's a constant white smoke from the smoldering pellets. No coal base, so the machine has to constantly add pellets to the fire, creating white smoke. Get a real stick burner and learn to use it. You will end up with better meat.

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8788519 01/26/23 04:42 PM
S
Sauerkraut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I understand the argument from 'bbq purists' for a traditional smoker over a pellet smoker. If I was passionate about smoked meat then I might side with y'all. I wish I had more time to monitor a firebox and adjust temps. I get the appeal. In my opinion, the pellet smoker isn't primarily marketed toward the bbq aficionado, who smokes all the time and might compete or whatever. They are marketed to people like me. I like smoked meat (that's the extent of my passion), and the pellet smoker makes it easy and convenient. If you don't think that a pellet smoker can produce a really good piece of meat, then I disagree. Will it always be as good as the alternative? Probably not. But for me, as someone who just likes to cook and is really busy, it is a fantastic option.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." - Ecclesiastes 9:10
Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8788546 01/26/23 05:22 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I wonder what portion of the pro-pellet group also flush their water heater tanks.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: Sauerkraut] #8788552 01/26/23 05:27 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Sauerkraut
I understand the argument from 'bbq purists' for a traditional smoker over a pellet smoker. If I was passionate about smoked meat then I might side with y'all. I wish I had more time to monitor a firebox and adjust temps. I get the appeal. In my opinion, the pellet smoker isn't primarily marketed toward the bbq aficionado, who smokes all the time and might compete or whatever. They are marketed to people like me. I like smoked meat (that's the extent of my passion), and the pellet smoker makes it easy and convenient. If you don't think that a pellet smoker can produce a really good piece of meat, then I disagree. Will it always be as good as the alternative? Probably not. But for me, as someone who just likes to cook and is really busy, it is a fantastic option.

I get some have that logic, but if you're going to do it might as well do it the best it can be done. Managing the firebox really doesn't take much time and that is without the aid of any new smoker technology. The new technologies make it almost as push-here-dummy as the pellet poopers.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: unclebubba] #8788571 01/26/23 05:45 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
As usual, most of the folks railing against pellets don't own one.

Well, I don't have one, and for good reason. I used my BIL's a long time ago and did not like it. I also have a buddy down in houston and went to visit him last summer. He wanted me to show him how I make my Brisket so good, so we did it on his pellet smoker. It turned out like chit.

Pellet smokers are not real indirect heat. the heat still comes from directly below the meat, and it's too easy to scorch your meat. Also, you can't get that nice blue smoke that you get from real wood and a solid bed of coals. It's a constant white smoke from the smoldering pellets. No coal base, so the machine has to constantly add pellets to the fire, creating white smoke. Get a real stick burner and learn to use it. You will end up with better meat.

So you don’t know how to use one.. got it

You are 100% accurate, if you use a pellet smoker just like a stick smoker you won’t turn out as good a product.

With just a little tweaking and learning your smoker you can produce a product 99% of people will love and won’t be able to tell the difference.

If you let your smoker even out and adjust for about 15-20 minutes, sometimes longer before adding your meat it will not produce white/dirty smoke constantly.

You also need to place your brisket on one side or the other and not directly over the fire box. I can put two briskets in my pellet smoker, one on each side and not have them directly over the coals.

I can do 2 full packer briskets and a rack of ribs on the top rack without having the meat directly over the box.

With that said the better smokers have heavy heat deflectors so you don’t have to worry about it.

Last edited by BradyBuck; 01/26/23 06:38 PM.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8788575 01/26/23 05:47 PM
C
Chubbyfarts Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
C
They come with instructions.

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8788576 01/26/23 05:49 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Scorched meat on a pellet smoker at 250? Tell me more about this.

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: BigPig] #8788618 01/26/23 07:07 PM
T
TexFlip Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by TexFlip

What I didn’t like about the Pitts & Spitts and a lot of the other brands is the length of the auger. Those pellets have to travel over a foot through an auger and pipe, and if not properly cleaned every single use, they can swell and clog the auger, which is a nightmare to unclog.

I believe RecTec and Yoder have the shortest augers and in Yoder’s, there no actual pipe for it to travel down.

So pellet smoker users prefer shorter pipe? Noted.

Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide