Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking [Re: freerange] #8781735 01/16/23 07:32 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Keep in mind guys, that 200 yards may not be all that far for any fatally hit deer to go if on an all out adrenaline pumped death run. But in her case she walked and bedded for a total of half hour. Doesnt it seems that shot would of caught enough lung to stop her TIME WISE sooner than that?

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking [Re: freerange] #8781769 01/16/23 08:18 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
With only one lung hit a deer can live longer than you think. Both lungs is a different situation than just one lung.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking [Re: freerange] #8781814 01/16/23 09:18 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by freerange
Keep in mind guys, that 200 yards may not be all that far for any fatally hit deer to go if on an all out adrenaline pumped death run. But in her case she walked and bedded for a total of half hour. Doesnt it seems that shot would of caught enough lung to stop her TIME WISE sooner than that?

200 yards is a long way for most any fatally hit animal to run.

That distance it’s certainly the exception and not the rule

If she needed down and got up again 30 min later (not being pushed ) the shot wasn’t great.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking [Re: txtrophy85] #8781825 01/16/23 09:38 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

200 yards is a long way for most any fatally hit animal to run.

That distance it’s certainly the exception and not the rule

If she needed down and got up again 30 min later (not being pushed ) the shot wasn’t great.

Good info, but just to clarify, half hour was total time from shot to last sight. She was laying for maybe 15 minutes. I agree the shot wasn’t great but surprised she lived half hour and maybe lot more.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking [Re: freerange] #8781883 01/16/23 10:49 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I doubt she lived much more than 35 minutes.

If she laid for 30 minutes then got up and was found within 40 yards, she didnt live longer than 5 minutes after she got up. That corresponds to the rigor she had when you found her. Had she lived hour or longer she woupd have made it A LOT further even just walking. Despite the linger than expected track, this was still a dead deer and she bled out from that liver wound.

A shot a couple inches forward and its a different ballgame. Amazing the will these animals have to live, and as i said in the other thread, being prey animals they show very little to no signs of weakness despite a lethal hit.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking [Re: freerange] #8781897 01/16/23 11:01 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
If you want a heart shot, wait until at least the near side front leg is forward if not both front legs are forward, otherwise your hitting lung which isn’t bad.

How hard is it to figure out where to shoot?
It’s harder for 99% to put their bullet/arrow in a spot than it is to identify!

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking [Re: rickym] #8781922 01/16/23 11:40 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by rickym
If you want a heart shot, wait until at least the near side front leg is forward if not both front legs are forward, otherwise your hitting lung which isn’t bad.

“How hard is it to figure out where to shoot?” I think for a bow Hunter it is much harder than many think.
- You said as much when you said wait for leg to go forward.
-Also, you said it’s hard to put it where you want it just highlights the need to know EXACTLY where to try and hit.
- Other bones can stop or deflect arrows.
-Parts of lungs are more deadly than others.
-Placement and angles can help with exit holes and/or lower exits to all help with blood loss.
- Certain angles can get vitals and also take out a leg.
- Liver alone is deadly but a long difficult track but if you know anatomy you may plan to get liver, lungs, and maybe heart or leg ALSO.
-Allowing for the deer moving before shot arrives is super difficult and important to knowing where the impact spot is.
-Almost every diagram I have seen of deer anatomy is incorrect or deceiving so earnest study of anatomy is important.
So, you are entitled to your opinion, but, no, I do NOT think it’s easy to identify the best kill spot in all situations for a quickly recovered deer every shot. Many hunters think this and many are wrong.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking [Re: freerange] #8781934 01/16/23 11:59 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Agree with FR, knowing where to put it is different from putting it there. So many variables in bow hunting to deal with such as animal movement/alertness, wind, angle, leg forward/back, quartering to/away, other deer present, etc that you really do not have to deal with as much with a rifle shot .

Trying to learn as much as you can to help facilitate a clean kill is not a bad thing.

And there is rarely a perfect shot opportunity in archery. Rarely do we have a perfectly broadside deer in an non-alert state woth no wind and no other deer around to make tue perfect “known” shot. Sorry, just doesnt happen often.

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 01/17/23 12:01 AM.
Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking [Re: freerange] #8781969 01/17/23 12:37 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

“How hard is it to figure out where to shoot?” I think for a bow Hunter it is much harder than many think.

Figuring out where to shoot is easy. Follow the leg up 1/3rd of his body and let it fly. with that shot you have a little leeway either right or left. I prefer a lung shot over a heart shot but if you can get both, its great.

I think you are overthinking and overcomplicating this whole ordeal, shoot a deer tight behind the shoulder when broadside or when quartering away always aim for where you want the arrow to exit, not enter. I have not shot alot of game with a quartering away shot, i really prefer broadside, getting a good double lung with a big mechanical broadhead usually leads to a short and a easy to follow tracking job. I've had deer that didn't bleed at all but died within 50-60 yards as well, so there is no guarantees in bowhunting. No one is gonna be able to predict with 100% accuracy what is gonna happen even with identical shots

Here is a good compilation video to watch to get an idea if your in doubt on where to shoot game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3S1kKCuBZA

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking [Re: freerange] #8781976 01/17/23 12:46 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Another good video

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking [Re: txtrophy85] #8781984 01/17/23 12:50 AM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

Figuring out where to shoot is easy. Follow the leg up 1/3rd of his body and let it fly. with that shot you have a little leeway either right or left. I prefer a lung shot over a heart shot but if you can get both, its great.

I think you are overthinking and overcomplicating this whole ordeal, shoot a deer tight behind the shoulder when broadside or when quartering away always aim for where you want the arrow to exit, not enter. I have not shot alot of game with a quartering away shot, i really prefer broadside, getting a good double lung with a big mechanical broadhead usually leads to a short and a easy to follow tracking job. I've had deer that didn't bleed at all but died within 50-60 yards as well, so there is no guarantees in bowhunting. No one is gonna be able to predict with 100% accuracy what is gonna happen even with identical shots

Here is a good compilation video to watch to get an idea if your in doubt on where to shoot game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3S1kKCuBZA

Trophy glad you said it, I've been thinking it on this thread some. 100 ways to cut a steak but still just cutting some steak, lol....

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking [Re: freerange] #8782002 01/17/23 01:13 AM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I’ve been accused of over thinking all my life. I appreciate y’all trying to help me but it’s worked for me all my life and it’s doubtful I will change.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking [Re: freerange] #8782016 01/17/23 01:29 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
If you can ever find a video from Bone Collector TV show that was filmed in Old Mexico around 2010 of Travis Turner shooting a buck with his bow it is worth the watch. He shoots a broadside buck behind the shoulder and it looks like a double lung dead deer shot. 1.5 hrs later and 1000 yards away Michael Waddell shoots the same buck with his bow after it walked in front of him. When I watched the video on the TV show and the buck walked in front of Waddell I said that is the same buck T-Bone just shot. It was for a fact the same buck. How the buck lived and went that far is unbelievable. All kinds of scenarios were played on forums about it. T-Bone is an excellent shot and it looked like a dead deer...but it was not even close when it walked out in front of Waddell. I've tried to find the video on Youtube but have never been successful.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking [Re: freerange] #8782017 01/17/23 01:30 AM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I’ve been accused of over thinking all my life. I appreciate y’all trying to help me but it’s worked for me all my life and it’s doubtful I will change.

Free, just keep doing you and mind us none. Remember I'm the one with the Xmas HGTV Redneck trailer roof edition, lol...

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking [Re: freerange] #8782061 01/17/23 02:14 AM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
There are always outliers in the mix of normals. I agree the majority of shots are pretty much line it up and shoot, but when the “weird” happens, it makes us ponder. As i told FR, not all deer read the textbooks.

This deer should have been an ez kill. Should have gone down a lot earlier. But it didntt. I shot a doe this weekend and with the dead deflated lungs and hanging by the legs the liver only went as far in as the eighth rib, which would be 5 from the back. Every anatomy is slightly different. Not all deer read the textbooks.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking [Re: Texas buckeye] #8782099 01/17/23 02:46 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
There are always outliers in the mix of normals. I agree the majority of shots are pretty much line it up and shoot, but when the “weird” happens, it makes us ponder. As i told FR, not all deer read the textbooks.

This deer should have been an ez kill. Should have gone down a lot earlier. But it didntt. I shot a doe this weekend and with the dead deflated lungs and hanging by the legs the liver only went as far in as the eighth rib, which would be 5 from the back. Every anatomy is slightly different. Not all deer read the textbooks.

Everything is on a bell curve.

90% of good shots will be text book short tracks lots of blood. 10% of good shots will have you questioning your sanity and 10% of bad shots will result in a dead deer.

I shot a buck at 17 yards right behind the shoulder with a rage trypan. Perfect shot, deer ran off and I’m thinking it’s a short track job. Find the arrow and expect to find the buck in short order. Deer ended up going over 300 yards and the entry was right where I thought it was…great shot.

Last year I shot a doe with my recurve, she was alert and looking at me when I released ( mistake no.1) she lunged forward and I hit the deer just forward of the hips where it buried about halfway in. I found the deer 50 yards away from where I shot her stone dead.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking [Re: freerange] #8782136 01/17/23 03:36 AM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
There are good sized arteries in the abdomen and pelvis that can cause a quick bleed out. I have seen some advocare a rump shot on a passing deer given the large arteries and veins in that area. The issue is what did those shots hit and what didn’t they?

On a “perfect”chest shot you may hit lungs but no large arteries and it takes a while for the deer to die from lack of oxygen (hypoxia). Thinking out loud about such a shot, a deflated lung can still oxygenate, just not perfectly. So if it takes 20 seconds or longer for a deer to die due to poor oxygen, or at least pass put and fall to eventually die, that amounts to a run of about 250-300 yards (25mph x 1/3 minute = 250 yards).

But a abdomen shot that leads to a bleeder and a walking deer can easily mean a short track. All depends on what is hit and not hit.

These things dont become as much an issue with gun shots due to hydrostatic forces and translated energy into surrounding tissues. Still can lead to dead deer and long tracks, but a perfect lung shot woth a rifle will tear apart more artery due to fragmented bullet and shockwave damage.

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 01/17/23 03:37 AM.
Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking [Re: txtrophy85] #8782166 01/17/23 04:18 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye

Everything is on a bell curve.

90% of good shots will be text book short tracks lots of blood. 10% of good shots will have you questioning your sanity and 10% of bad shots will result in a dead deer.

I shot a buck at 17 yards right behind the shoulder with a rage trypan. Perfect shot, deer ran off and I’m thinking it’s a short track job. Find the arrow and expect to find the buck in short order. Deer ended up going over 300 yards and the entry was right where I thought it was…great shot.

Last year I shot a doe with my recurve, she was alert and looking at me when I released ( mistake no.1) she lunged forward and I hit the deer just forward of the hips where it buried about halfway in. I found the deer 50 yards away from where I shot her stone dead.

Absolutely. But man, I'll say it again, I've never found anything in the woods tougher to kill than a danged ole doe. I've enjoyed this thread, freerange. Lots of good info posted and a little something for everyone to polish their hunting skill set, especially the inexperienced hunters, but also for the one with lots of time in the woods.

[Linked Image]
Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking [Re: txtrophy85] #8782302 01/17/23 02:07 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
If an animal is facing due east 90° aim for lungs.

If the animal is south east at 135°, your point of aim is going to have to move forward on the animal.

If the animal is north east at 45° your point of aim is going to have to move back on the animal a bit.

Forget about the hide, be visualizing the vitals inside and where they are. If a liver gets cut on the way to lungs, fine. But I'm never going to be intentionally trying to hit a liver.

I remember an anesthesiologist talking to a surgeon, in a surgery. The surgeon was working on a woman's uterus and said something. The anesthesiologist said "not my problem, I am in charge of everything above the diaphragm."

Everything above the diaphragm is what kills animals mo fasta than anything else.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking [Re: stxranchman] #8783022 01/18/23 04:43 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Originally Posted by stxranchman
If you can ever find a video from Bone Collector TV show that was filmed in Old Mexico around 2010 of Travis Turner shooting a buck with his bow it is worth the watch. He shoots a broadside buck behind the shoulder and it looks like a double lung dead deer shot. 1.5 hrs later and 1000 yards away Michael Waddell shoots the same buck with his bow after it walked in front of him. When I watched the video on the TV show and the buck walked in front of Waddell I said that is the same buck T-Bone just shot. It was for a fact the same buck. How the buck lived and went that far is unbelievable. All kinds of scenarios were played on forums about it. T-Bone is an excellent shot and it looked like a dead deer...but it was not even close when it walked out in front of Waddell. I've tried to find the video on Youtube but have never been successful.

i have not found the video either but did find this from T Bone at https://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=396006&forum=4

Straight from Travis:
Waddy/Bone Buck Mexico

We are still scratching our heads on this one . Just like a lot of things in hunting and heck even in life we may not be able to ever totally understand. But I will include some facts and or more info that may help us all understand things a lil better .

We had trailed the deer for about 150 yards 45 minutes after shooting him since we had reviewed the footage in the blind and seen it was a good hit . It was a good blood trail . As we were trailing the Buck outfitter drove on us trailing the deer not even knowing we had shot it was just time to be picked up . The direction in which he came to us was semi between Waddell and myself . When he approached us we told him about shooting the Buck and talked a bit at his truck for about 10 or 15 minutes. We then decided to go pick up Waddell and bring him back to finish blood trailing My buck in a group effort assuming by seeing how good the shot was and blood trail that we were close to finding him. Thats when we drove up on Waddell and got the info about him shooting the Buck. ( Side note: I know folks are thinking how come we weren't texting with each other or the outfitter. Well there is NO service in Mex . So it is old school hunting, we had no communications with each other til we seen them).

So by the time we get to Waddell to pick him up approximately and hour or so had past . And Waddell had shot the Buck just 10 to 15 minutes pryor to us getting there.

Now here are some other facts and therioes , with the footage that Waddell had after I had shot him and before he shot him you could tell he rushed in there to Waddy's stand . And also when he would stop he would close his eyes and tail would sink and would wobble . This deer was going to die for sure but it seemed he was living on bursts of adrenaline and we were amazed he went that far .

•It was a complete pass thru on my shot and Waddell's shot.

•The entrance and exit holes with Mine and Waddell's shots were big and yes the T3's for sure worked and opened just liked designed .

•After gutting the deer and trying to see what damage was done by what arrow it was too hard to tell with both arrows passing thru the vitals you couldn't tell what arrow and what or who's Bhead did what damage exactly .

•Would he have died from my shot ?. Absoulutley

•Would we have found this deer if he wouldnt have ran to Waddell ? maybe not with out a dog as much ground as he covered . It would have for sure been tough.

My theroy on the situation is this I must have hit a portion of the vitals to let the buck live a little longer than normal . And we may have got on his trail a lil fast . And maybe the outfitter coming up may have spooked him to hurry over Waddell's way and also increasing his adrenaline . rather than bedding down and dying. There were lots of cows in the pasture and it being open country may have made him seek the closest cover and or drainage which is where Waddell was. I have also noticed that deer in Texas and Mexico are a lot smaller bodied and they do seem to be more skitish and I guess a better word is jittery and the seem to run farther and faster and seem to have a stronger will to live , more adrenaline, but im sure this happens nation wide also . Just seems like a lot in tex .and mex. I also feel with us being able to review the footage helps a lot so that we can see the shot placement . When we all hunt alone you have to play all these things thru your head over and cant find the right answers to help you recover the animal .Instead of reviewing footage like we are able to do. At the end of the day this is for sure a head scratching incident that did end very lucky for us . The whitetail Gods shined on us . Other wise this would be another story like we all have or have heard of the one that got away that was hit very well . The whitetail deer is an amazing animal and we so enjoy hunting them. Its not the Broadheads fault its just what it is and all apart of hunting.

Yours in Archery, Travis T-Bone __________________ "Me I'm just a hunter" and I give em a smile.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide