Texas Hunting Forum

Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking

Posted By: freerange

Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/12/23 06:27 PM

The short rifle/muzzle loader season in Okla has forced me to learn to crossbow hunt.
It’s hard enough to get that close but then the amount of knowledge to be properly prepared for that shot and the recovery is a whole lot. I have a similar thread in the archery section but wanted to put a similar one here since much of this pertains to any weapon.
I call it S.P.A.T. Knowledge of “Shot Placement, Anatomy, and Tracking” is critical to be able to have a chance at a high recovery rate of bow shot deer. This thread isn’t to teach but to learn. I want yalls input to help me and others with this challenge. I have a lot to learn.
To illustrate an example I want to go through a shot I made yesterday. Pics show the arrow almost to the deer(white spot at neck) and second pic shows it in the deer. Xbow shoots Rage Hypodermic 2” 2 blade 100gr mechanical 415fps at 25 yards 5’ elevated. I want to challenge y’all to offer input on what you think happened on a shot like this? I know all too well that every situation is different and there’s nothing close to an absolute but I think any opinions on what’s likely or not likely will be of value.
—What organs were hit or missed?
—How did she react in regard to her condition and how far she went.
—Any guess on amount of blood or color of blood?
—Short track or long track?
Hopefully if I get some participation I will come back and give more info on what happened right after the shot and y’all can have a go at opinions again. I’m not withholding further info to trick anyone, but instead just looking for step by step thoughts as it unfolded.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/12/23 06:40 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/12/23 06:40 PM

Free, with a moderate to high powered rifle, that's a vitals organ shot, all day, every day, lungs and heart with lots of blood and usually a shorter tracking job, under 75 yards unless animal is prematurely pushed by shooter. With a bow, still a solid shot with good blood flow but likely a longer track without pushing, maybe 100-150 yards would be my estimate...
Posted By: cullbuck

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/12/23 06:47 PM

I'm glad you put another of these threads up freerange and will follow closely.
I think there was some very good information to learn from shared in your other thread.
Did you get a complete pass through on this shot? I don't bow hunt so I will wait to see what the experts have to say.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/12/23 06:54 PM

Im looking for opinions as they relate to a crossbow or vertical bow. Other factors come into play on a slower shot arrow or on a rifle.
I wasn’t planning on adding more info just yet but I’ll go ahead and say the arrow was seen in video going straight through.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/12/23 06:59 PM

I stick to my estimate, 100-150 yard track job on arrow flung from vertical or crossbow, no pushing of animal.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/12/23 07:03 PM

PopeYoung, thanks for posting the diagram. As I have researched, I have found lots of those and most of them are not the same and some are quite different. Some show actual deer cutaway and are good. Even in those it’s hard to tell depending on angle and the photography. One of my big unknowns is just how much the lungs inflate and deflate and how that effects the shot.
Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/12/23 07:06 PM

1. Lungs are the only organ hit.
2. She spun around and ran about 50 yards where she would have "crashed and burned."
3.Lots of bright colored blood along her "route."
4. Should have been an "easy" find!
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/12/23 07:08 PM

That shot should have caught both lungs and some liver, especially with a 2” mechanical.

No way to tell what to expect tracking wise could be 30 yards could be 150 but in the wide open I would expect her to run as far as she could to get back to cover.

Pro tip: if you shoot the rage shoot the 3 blade, a hole is much better than a slit
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/12/23 07:21 PM

I'm going to start bow hunting, so very interested in the posts here.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/12/23 07:22 PM

TxTro mentioned the field. My way she was 25 yds from thick cover. Side to side either 175 or 225. Dead away is 800. Thick thick cover in every direction.
Hunterdaddy, you get extra credit for addressing all my questions.
Personally, I would likely hesitate to respond to a thread like this cause I hate to be wrong and others know it. The thing about an arrow shot deer is there is very little certainty and hardly ever a for sure right or wrong answer, so jump in.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/12/23 07:27 PM

What was the goal of your post again? How far did deer go and shot's value was it?

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/12/23 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by DQ Kid
What was the goal of your post again? How far did deer go and shot's value was it?

I’m not sure if I stated it, but the ultimate goal of this thread is to learn everything possible about how to increase chances of recovering every deer ever shot with bow. The specific questions, to this point, are bullet pointed in first post. Those are pretty much the questions I think need addressing by the shooter at the early stages of recovery.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/12/23 07:46 PM

From the looks of the 2 pics she appeared to be just slightly quartering away.
1) I'd say the arrow cut through both lungs and possibly caught the liver as well. I don't believe it caught the back top part of the heart.
2) I'd guess she probably jumped up into the air and bolted off. Guessing how far is pretty tough as each deer is always different. I shot some in that exact spot with my bow and they crashed within 30-40 yards and yet others went 100-150 yards or even a little more.
3) I would think there was plenty enough blood to follow her trail pretty easily and it should have been bright red to a frothy pinkish color.
4) I'm thinking she was a pretty short track job and likely under 50 yards but again, each deer is different and reacts as such to the impact of an arrow.
Posted By: joedav31

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/12/23 08:28 PM

id think you caught the back of the shot side lung and then into stomach and believe that deer very well may have ran as far as 200 yds with a moderate not heavy blood trail.
Posted By: joedav31

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/12/23 08:28 PM

if not pushed she was dead for sure just may not have been a cakewalk of a blood trail.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/12/23 08:47 PM

Head down that puts the legs further back on the chest than if the head is up. Shot is back of center in lungs, perhaps some liver and diaphragm if the arrow went through with the broadhead about vertical I am thinking back part of one lung perhaps both and some liver. I think she ran somewhere between 50 to 150 yards with good blood trail. Depending on just what was hit. If she ran straight into the thick cover and not pushed at all I would think good chance she is within a 10 or 15 yards of the edge just from some I have recovered, get to safer place away from the noise. I have found several that made it out of the field to die just inside cover a little ways. But like the one I had that took 2 hops turned around and came back over and was sniffing the arrow when it got the wobbles and fell down you never know what they will do until they do it.

I do not think the heart was touched by the broadhead a little far back for that. Unlike the other thread I am thinking this one did not catch the guts any or if quartered toward perhaps on the exit side.

Edit to add if it missed the offside lung she might have gone 200 to 300 yards before laying down

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/12/23 09:10 PM

This has been great feedback guys. What does anybody know about the size of lungs changing as they inhale and exhale. I know very little about that and haven’t learned much in my recent research. I know it happens, but to what degree.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/12/23 10:17 PM

It's a solid lung hit, which means she ran. How far, hard to tell. They generally run further hit high like this. Once the lung cavity fills up, she'll bleed a lot. But a 2" Rage they generally bleed out immediately. I ALWAYS aim for bottom third into the shoulder for a heart shot, especially for bow hunting. Often times deer will jump the string some, and your shot goes high. It appears to be a good kill shot, but most likely ran a ways.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/12/23 10:29 PM

While I wait for someone to address my inflated vs deflated lung question I’ll comment.
Kmon, I understand head up or down can effect the reaction time to possibly move pre arrow impact, but I’m not sure what you mean about the head down causing the leg to be further back….?
Chad, I hear guys talking about aiming all over a deer. Your low aim at heart makes sense except what happens if the deer doesn’t drop and you hit that leg bone blocking the heart? If it wasn’t for that issue I think most would aim there.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/12/23 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by freerange
Chad, I hear guys talking about aiming all over a deer. Your low aim at heart makes sense except what happens if the deer doesn’t drop and you hit that leg bone blocking the heart? If it wasn’t for that issue I think most would aim there.

IMO, that's where you should aim. You don't aim low enough that you are into the bottom leg area. You still aim in the bottom third area at the heart. The arrow should penetrate through the bone if you have a heavy enough arrow. But if the deer does jump the string some (which most do), your impact is now a little higher about mid way or half. If you aim center, and they jump the string, you are now hitting high, really high. I've seen deer never get recovered from a high hit, but also seen them drop due to a spine shot. I'm aiming right into the red area of the heart, like pictured below. (I think the heart is a little more forward than the picture shows.)

The guys in deer camp used to chuckle about the "tree trunk" arrows I would shoot. They were heavy and not very fast. But I would blow through even the biggest of pigs. I also prefer a 3 or 4 fixed blade broadhead. I will never use the Rage or mechanical broadheads again. One of the guys I hunted with was all about the speed and how fast he cold push an arrow. He went really light with those tiny carbon arrows. He lost multiple pigs because he would have no penetration. He said his arrow would stick out 20"+ inches after the shot on pigs. A good 3 blade, fixed blade broadhead is awesome!

[Linked Image]

Here’s the cavity of the buck i shot last year. It was a near perfect heart shot. He was at 32 yards, and he jumped the string a little, and I hit him a few inches high from where I was aiming. But the shot was good and he only went about 30 yards. If you take out the heart, they will not run far at all. If you only take out the lungs, they will run as far as they can on what's remaining in their system.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/13/23 12:53 AM

I may be way wrong, but the angle looks more than a quartering shot. I think that it got one lung, possibly caught the liver but also got some guts. I say this because a hunting buddy made a shot very similar to what this one looks like.
Thinking the deer went between 100 to 150 yards.
Posted By: Bowhunter 64

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/13/23 02:17 AM

Don’t know how far she ran . From all the deer I have shot and what I have seen shot doe do not usually run as far as bucks, especially in rut. How far they run can be a crap shoot. I once shot a buck with s as 270 and blew out half its heart. He still ran close to 300 yards . Drenilin is a crazy thing . But the shot in the pictures appears to be going from the head of the deer towards the back of the deer. Looks tofar back from where I would want it to hit. Maybe Liver shot but could have got some lung . Also looks like shes trying to jump the string but waited s bit late.
Posted By: howl

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/13/23 03:17 AM

It looks further back than you'd want with the slight quartering to angle. I would guess one lung, maybe liver or gut. A deer can go a long way on one lung.

My bowhunting is with a recurve off the ground at about 12 yards max. There are lots of deer killed by arrow or bolt with shots I just won't take. I only loose arrows broadside or quartering away. I aim for the heart. I actually aim for the heart inside the animal. It's kind of a head trip, but I'm not losing the few I do shoot. If it works with a 50# recurve and relatively narrow 2-blade it might work for more modern tackle.

I'm not sure if it would translate to what you are doing at the greater distances. It's probably easier to visualize up close. I suggest spending some time looking at where the organs are in pictures and videos of real deer. When practicing look at a 3D target and picture where those organs would be. It's really something you practice to get to where you do it smoothly enough to apply it in hunting.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/13/23 05:37 AM

Fr, looks like. Double lung in the back part pf the lungs where there isnt great vascularity but a double lung nonetheless. It is possible depending on ventilation status it might have caught some liver or stomach too, but that is hard to say just on the pic….wouldn’t shock me either way, but it would be a solid part of the liver if hit which would solidify the death process.

She ran prob 50-75 yards before she collapsed from no breath. Blood was scant to decent but not spraying everywhere. Seems as though both deer are barely reacting to the shot, which is good. An alert deer will run further, so that helps keep her in the “short track” rather than ling track group (not that i know where the cut off is 😂 )

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/13/23 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bowhunter 64
Don’t know how far she ran . From all the deer I have shot and what I have seen shot doe do not usually run as far as bucks, especially in rut. How far they run can be a crap shoot. I once shot a buck with s as 270 and blew out half its heart. He still ran close to 300 yards . Drenilin is a crazy thing . But the shot in the pictures appears to be going from the head of the deer towards the back of the deer. Looks tofar back from where I would want it to hit. Maybe Liver shot but could have got some lung . Also looks like shes trying to jump the string but waited s bit late.

X100
Posted By: Woj

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/13/23 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
From the looks of the 2 pics she appeared to be just slightly quartering away.
1) I'd say the arrow cut through both lungs and possibly caught the liver as well. I don't believe it caught the back top part of the heart.
2) I'd guess she probably jumped up into the air and bolted off. Guessing how far is pretty tough as each deer is always different. I shot some in that exact spot with my bow and they crashed within 30-40 yards and yet others went 100-150 yards or even a little more.
3) I would think there was plenty enough blood to follow her trail pretty easily and it should have been bright red to a frothy pinkish color.
4) I'm thinking she was a pretty short track job and likely under 50 yards but again, each deer is different and reacts as such to the impact of an arrow.

^ my guess as well. One other question: was her tail up, or tight to her [censored] as she ran off? If up, she ran a long ways. 150 yds+ and I wait for 1 hour for more depending on the outside temp. If tight to her [censored], less than 100 yds and I wait 30 min if I don't see her fall or hear her crash.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/13/23 02:11 PM

one thing you need to factor in, was it a complete pass-thru or did the arrow hang up at the fletching? A deer running with the arrow still embedded in its body will almost always run further than a deer who's arrow passed thru or kicked out right after the shot.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/13/23 02:23 PM

It looks a bit too high, but more importantly, a bit too far back toward the gut. Based on the angle the bolt is flying in.

I am sure it was a clean kill. Most likely right lung pumping frothy blood, maybe not so much on the left lung.

Tracking was likely over 100 yards.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/13/23 02:35 PM

A little bit of my opinion on the perceived angle of the flight of arrow. I’m new to video shots but my small sample size and a few others indicate it’s deceiving. The camera is set up a little to the side and it really exaggerates the flight angle. IMO she is ever so slightly 1/4 away. Look at woj videos on here and that look is similar.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/13/23 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
one thing you need to factor in, was it a complete pass-thru or did the arrow hang up at the fletching? A deer running with the arrow still embedded in its body will almost always run further than a deer who's arrow passed thru or kicked out right after the shot.

Yup
I was wondering as well if this was a passthrough shot.
If so, I really don't think she went that far.

And just like Woj said above wit the tail. I do not like to see the tail up at all when shot...with a bow or a rifle for that matter.

I also do not think this arrow got into the gut at all with the angle she was standing which sure looks in the pic to be slightly quartering away.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/13/23 02:44 PM

Video shows arrow going straight through on the other side.
I plan to give more info about what happened but I’m watching way too many deer right now. Beautiful day right now.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/13/23 11:09 PM

UPDATE… Second stage of recovery.
When she ran I was quickly adjusting video so didn’t see if she had tail up or down but she went quickly for 75yards.
Then she stopped and stood(Uncomfy but not hunched) for 20 seconds.
Then she slowly walked 75 yards without stopping till outa the field.
First brush she laid down facing me at 65 yards.
Head up just laid there 5 or 10 minutes.
Got up and right back down.
5 more minutes and she got up and trotted outa view. If she was coherent she could of seen me for sure and likely smelled.
I waited about 2.5 hours and looked at arrow and tracked to her bed. Knew where she bedded so didn’t look real close for blood in field but saw none at all, even right after shot or going into bed.
Pic shows blood on arrow and both the blades were deployed.
Pic of deer was as she walked off.
I never saw her exit side but arrow in video looked like pass straight through, and I thought she was ever slightly angled away so unless rib deflected it should of exit slightly forward of entry.
I drew many conclusions after this second stage of recovery but I’ll keep to myself and let y’all be in my shoes and tell me what you thought to this point and what you would of done.
Remember guys, this is learning exercise and nothing is absolute but wanting logical thoughts on what happened and how to proceed.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/14/23 01:00 AM

That deer should have died within a couple hundred yards, but sometimes shyte happens.

Chalk that one up to shyte happening, the results are not typical.

I’ve killed deer with much worse shots than that
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/14/23 03:00 AM

Second picture with the hit, looks a little far back and to me quartering towards if anything meaning exit further back. Explains the lack of blood the walk off and bed seems gut hit typical to me.

I always like quartering away lower half of the body. Not a ton of experience bow hunting but the critters I have hit well bleed like nothing I’ve ever seen before.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/14/23 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Pope&Young
[Linked Image]

This diagram, and the mark "my aim point" is my own that I made and posted here a few years ago. I decided on this aim point and illustrated it with this diagram and marked it up to illustrate where I put an SST bullet. The wound channel in this location is a simultaneous wound to CNS and hydrostatic shock to circulatory system that drops every deer I have ever hit here, with that bullet DRT.

I wouldn't try it on an archery shot.
Posted By: Woj

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/14/23 12:45 PM

UPDATE… Second stage of recovery.
When she ran I was quickly adjusting video so didn’t see if she had tail up or down but she went quickly for 75yards.
Then she stopped and stood(Uncomfy but not hunched) for 20 seconds.
Then she slowly walked 75 yards without stopping till outa the field.
First brush she laid down facing me at 65 yards.
Head up just laid there 5 or 10 minutes.
Got up and right back down.
5 more minutes and she got up and trotted outa view. If she was coherent she could of seen me for sure and likely smelled.
I waited about 2.5 hours and looked at arrow and tracked to her bed. Knew where she bedded so didn’t look real close for blood in field but saw none at all, even right after shot or going into bed.
Pic shows blood on arrow and both the blades were deployed.
Pic of deer was as she walked off.
I never saw her exit side but arrow in video looked like pass straight through, and I thought she was ever slightly angled away so unless rib deflected it should of exit slightly forward of entry.
I drew many conclusions after this second stage of recovery but I’ll keep to myself and let y’all be in my shoes and tell me what you thought to this point and what you would of done.
Remember guys, this is learning exercise and nothing is absolute but wanting logical thoughts on what happened and how to proceed.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Lots of good clues here:

1. arrow pic shows dark blood = liver
2. laid down @140 yds with head up, got back up, then back down = fatal shot, but not for quite a while (hours). Good you waited 2.5 hours before starting to track. AND, when you do start to track, bring a rifle in case she is bedded. up, and still alive
3. pic of the deer as she walked off looks like guts. So, liver AND guts. If it's cold, wait, if it's hot, wait 2-3 hrs then go look, SLOWLY and look in brush and look for just a head looking at you.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/14/23 04:28 PM

This is in OK and outside of rifle season so can not bring a rifle.

I echo txtrophys thoughts on this. I thought this deer should be dead quickly but felt this was an atypical experience.
My initial hunch it hit back of lungs and liver was “confirmed” by the darker blood on the arrow, but i would have expected a shorter track/death walk. Perplexing.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/14/23 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by J.G.
It looks a bit too high, but more importantly, a bit too far back toward the gut. Based on the angle the bolt is flying in.

I am sure it was a clean kill. Most likely right lung pumping frothy blood, maybe not so much on the left lung.

Tracking was likely over 100 yards.

Sticking with my original educated guess.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/15/23 03:19 AM

Clarification…. I want to make sure y’all don’t think the tracking is over and she went unrecovered. My last update was when I went to where she bedded. I’ll add that where she laid there was a good bit of blood. It was mostly dirt there and the blood soaked in and had been there awhile so it was hard to tell much about it quantity or color wise.
I’ll give maybe another day then I’ll tell the rest of the track and finish the story.
You can look forward to a crude autopsy report with pics of entry and exit wounds along with which ribs it went into and out.
I’m really glad y’all have participated and I thank you for that.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/15/23 03:57 AM

You lost me on this one bud, can we just get to the finish line.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/15/23 04:07 AM

DQ, sorry, I thought I did good.
Besides, the finish isn’t as important as what was learned along the way.
A recap for the speed readers that didn’t follow closely.
Step one-I shot and recapped what happened until she was outa sight.
Step two-I tracked her till she bedded and I recapped what I saw during that time.
Step three-yet to be revealed.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/15/23 10:30 AM

You did fine, freerange. For the inexperienced hunter, this is a good lesson. In almost 30 years of self-taught hunting (I never had a dad who taught me how to hunt), I've not found a harder animal to kill in the woods than a whitetail doe. I've double-lunged or blown off parts of her heart with 12 ga slugs, and sometimes they just run, run, run.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/15/23 12:49 PM

DQ, sorry, I thought I did good.
Besides, the finish isn’t as important as what was learned along the way.
A recap for the speed readers that didn’t follow closely.
Step one-I shot and recapped what happened until she was outa sight.
Step two-I tracked her till she bedded and I recapped what I saw during that time.
Step three-yet to be revealed.

No worries, your post. Guess I'm more a punchline than joke setup kind of guy, as opposed to ends justifying means. Keep doing you and I'll wait for the "climax" reveal....
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/15/23 02:13 PM

From the photos and info you've provided....my first thought was how far camera was from hunter. It makes a difference on what hunter saw vs. what we see through the camera. My first impression was mid body with maybe back of a lung, liver for sure and gut ...depending on angle. IME liver shot deer have humped up and tiptoe off acting sick immediately. First bow kill buck for me only took two steps after first shot a bit lower than OP shot. I got a second arrow in him after he a few minutes when came out from behind a bush. Arrow looked like yours. I did push deer due it rained as I got the second arrow in the buck. Called a dog blood trailer and they found the buck about 250 yards away. Gut shot deer do strange things from not going far to bed to running a long distance before bedding. If other deer are with the deer shot and they run the same direction IME the wounded deer will probably try to stay with them or they will stay by the wounded if it beds. Lot of liver shot deer do not go far before bedding if you don't push them IME. Gut shot generally do the same. What a hunter does or doesn't do after the shot dictates how the recovery goes. The type of broadhead can make a difference on this type of shot. My archery kill recoveries have been 20 yards to 250 yards. Most were 20 to 100 yards when double lunged. One doe I spined dropped in her tracks and one shoulder blade hit I didn't recover. When alone the deer was found closer....other deer running they went farther for me.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/15/23 11:07 PM

That's an interesting perspective, stx... always wondered but never really observed your point. However, it has been a while since I've been on a long track. In the last 10-15 years, my deer have fallen in sight or just beyond.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/16/23 07:03 PM

UPDATE....
I recovered the deer and Ill recap what happened on the final track along with pics and a little crude autopsy report.
-Previously Ive told.... at the shot she ran 75 and stopped for awhile, then walked off slowly out of field for another 75 yards and bedded in light brush where I could see her. She got up then down and then got up and trotted off. Total it was maybe half hour from shot to last sighting. I showed pics of the blood and said there was almost no blood prior to her bedding.
-Let me address STx comments. The camera was about 20" left of the arrow coming out. Also, the two does with her hung out around her a bit while she bedded. That may of been why she got up from the bed cause there was no other pressure except she could see me in the blind. It was a rifle blind and next time I will be more cautious of a wounded bedded deer and just peep around the curtains(she was also downwind).
-The final track... When I went to her bed at 150 yards I finally saw blood in the bed. Its was hard to tell a lot about it since it was mostly dirt and it had soaked in but it was a decent amount. Tracking her out of her bed I finally found some blood but it was very little and not often. Like the arrow it was blackish so I felt certain of at least liver. It had been over 2.5 hours which may not be enough for liver only but the shot seemed far enough forward to get some lung. I tracked her for over an hour and was basically on hands and knees with my old eyes trying to see blood. Every few feet I would finally find a little. I had been looking ahead through thick stuff for a dead deer and after about 40 yards I saw her dead 10 yards ahead.
She had gone a total of about 200 yards. She lived at least a half hour and no more than 4. She was pretty stiff so I think she died between a half hour and an hour.
-Pics...Im including some pics of her with one laying dead and how thick it was on her trail.
Two more pics show the entry(her right side) and exit.
Three more show her hanging with entry, exit and through and through.
The last two show the entry/exits from inside the ribcage. The top of pic is to the back of deer and you should see the backbone. Counting the ribs from the back, it went in behind the 6 rib and came out forward of the 6 rib. This is consistent with the slight angle away shot. Ill repost the pic of her walking which shows the entry.
Ill need to post the pics on the next post so give me a minute.
-Autopsy-My careless knife may of botched this up but Ill try. It cut liver for sure and a little gut. It also caught the back part of lungs. As many of yall said, it seems she shouldnt of been able to live that long and go that far(especially not pushed). But she did. I learned a lot from shot to recovery and I hope yall learned something from me posting. Please continue to comment and offer insights. If you have any questions on anything I may of left out feel free to ask.
As always, Im here to learn and hopefully others can learn as well.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/16/23 07:13 PM

[Linked Image]

Head to right-entry.
[Linked Image]

Head to left-exit.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/16/23 07:21 PM

Definitely a little further back of ideal with an arrow, especially. 2-3" forward of that and I think she dies fairly quickly inside of 100 - 150 yards....

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/16/23 07:28 PM

DQ, I agree. I definitely was not aiming there. Still surprised by what unfolded but Im still trying to learn the little details about bow hunting that differ from rifle and thus the reason for the thread. I appreciate you following along, as I do others.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/16/23 07:32 PM

Keep in mind guys, that 200 yards may not be all that far for any fatally hit deer to go if on an all out adrenaline pumped death run. But in her case she walked and bedded for a total of half hour. Doesnt it seems that shot would of caught enough lung to stop her TIME WISE sooner than that?

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/16/23 08:18 PM

With only one lung hit a deer can live longer than you think. Both lungs is a different situation than just one lung.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/16/23 09:18 PM

Keep in mind guys, that 200 yards may not be all that far for any fatally hit deer to go if on an all out adrenaline pumped death run. But in her case she walked and bedded for a total of half hour. Doesnt it seems that shot would of caught enough lung to stop her TIME WISE sooner than that?

200 yards is a long way for most any fatally hit animal to run.

That distance it’s certainly the exception and not the rule

If she needed down and got up again 30 min later (not being pushed ) the shot wasn’t great.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/16/23 09:38 PM

200 yards is a long way for most any fatally hit animal to run.

That distance it’s certainly the exception and not the rule

If she needed down and got up again 30 min later (not being pushed ) the shot wasn’t great.

Good info, but just to clarify, half hour was total time from shot to last sight. She was laying for maybe 15 minutes. I agree the shot wasn’t great but surprised she lived half hour and maybe lot more.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/16/23 10:49 PM

I doubt she lived much more than 35 minutes.

If she laid for 30 minutes then got up and was found within 40 yards, she didnt live longer than 5 minutes after she got up. That corresponds to the rigor she had when you found her. Had she lived hour or longer she woupd have made it A LOT further even just walking. Despite the linger than expected track, this was still a dead deer and she bled out from that liver wound.

A shot a couple inches forward and its a different ballgame. Amazing the will these animals have to live, and as i said in the other thread, being prey animals they show very little to no signs of weakness despite a lethal hit.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/16/23 11:01 PM

If you want a heart shot, wait until at least the near side front leg is forward if not both front legs are forward, otherwise your hitting lung which isn’t bad.

How hard is it to figure out where to shoot?
It’s harder for 99% to put their bullet/arrow in a spot than it is to identify!

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/16/23 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by rickym
If you want a heart shot, wait until at least the near side front leg is forward if not both front legs are forward, otherwise your hitting lung which isn’t bad.

“How hard is it to figure out where to shoot?” I think for a bow Hunter it is much harder than many think.
- You said as much when you said wait for leg to go forward.
-Also, you said it’s hard to put it where you want it just highlights the need to know EXACTLY where to try and hit.
- Other bones can stop or deflect arrows.
-Parts of lungs are more deadly than others.
-Placement and angles can help with exit holes and/or lower exits to all help with blood loss.
- Certain angles can get vitals and also take out a leg.
- Liver alone is deadly but a long difficult track but if you know anatomy you may plan to get liver, lungs, and maybe heart or leg ALSO.
-Allowing for the deer moving before shot arrives is super difficult and important to knowing where the impact spot is.
-Almost every diagram I have seen of deer anatomy is incorrect or deceiving so earnest study of anatomy is important.
So, you are entitled to your opinion, but, no, I do NOT think it’s easy to identify the best kill spot in all situations for a quickly recovered deer every shot. Many hunters think this and many are wrong.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/16/23 11:59 PM

Agree with FR, knowing where to put it is different from putting it there. So many variables in bow hunting to deal with such as animal movement/alertness, wind, angle, leg forward/back, quartering to/away, other deer present, etc that you really do not have to deal with as much with a rifle shot .

Trying to learn as much as you can to help facilitate a clean kill is not a bad thing.

And there is rarely a perfect shot opportunity in archery. Rarely do we have a perfectly broadside deer in an non-alert state woth no wind and no other deer around to make tue perfect “known” shot. Sorry, just doesnt happen often.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/17/23 12:37 AM

“How hard is it to figure out where to shoot?” I think for a bow Hunter it is much harder than many think.

Figuring out where to shoot is easy. Follow the leg up 1/3rd of his body and let it fly. with that shot you have a little leeway either right or left. I prefer a lung shot over a heart shot but if you can get both, its great.

I think you are overthinking and overcomplicating this whole ordeal, shoot a deer tight behind the shoulder when broadside or when quartering away always aim for where you want the arrow to exit, not enter. I have not shot alot of game with a quartering away shot, i really prefer broadside, getting a good double lung with a big mechanical broadhead usually leads to a short and a easy to follow tracking job. I've had deer that didn't bleed at all but died within 50-60 yards as well, so there is no guarantees in bowhunting. No one is gonna be able to predict with 100% accuracy what is gonna happen even with identical shots

Here is a good compilation video to watch to get an idea if your in doubt on where to shoot game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3S1kKCuBZA

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/17/23 12:46 AM

Another good video

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/17/23 12:50 AM

Figuring out where to shoot is easy. Follow the leg up 1/3rd of his body and let it fly. with that shot you have a little leeway either right or left. I prefer a lung shot over a heart shot but if you can get both, its great.

I think you are overthinking and overcomplicating this whole ordeal, shoot a deer tight behind the shoulder when broadside or when quartering away always aim for where you want the arrow to exit, not enter. I have not shot alot of game with a quartering away shot, i really prefer broadside, getting a good double lung with a big mechanical broadhead usually leads to a short and a easy to follow tracking job. I've had deer that didn't bleed at all but died within 50-60 yards as well, so there is no guarantees in bowhunting. No one is gonna be able to predict with 100% accuracy what is gonna happen even with identical shots

Here is a good compilation video to watch to get an idea if your in doubt on where to shoot game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3S1kKCuBZA

Trophy glad you said it, I've been thinking it on this thread some. 100 ways to cut a steak but still just cutting some steak, lol....

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/17/23 01:13 AM

I’ve been accused of over thinking all my life. I appreciate y’all trying to help me but it’s worked for me all my life and it’s doubtful I will change.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/17/23 01:29 AM

If you can ever find a video from Bone Collector TV show that was filmed in Old Mexico around 2010 of Travis Turner shooting a buck with his bow it is worth the watch. He shoots a broadside buck behind the shoulder and it looks like a double lung dead deer shot. 1.5 hrs later and 1000 yards away Michael Waddell shoots the same buck with his bow after it walked in front of him. When I watched the video on the TV show and the buck walked in front of Waddell I said that is the same buck T-Bone just shot. It was for a fact the same buck. How the buck lived and went that far is unbelievable. All kinds of scenarios were played on forums about it. T-Bone is an excellent shot and it looked like a dead deer...but it was not even close when it walked out in front of Waddell. I've tried to find the video on Youtube but have never been successful.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/17/23 01:30 AM

I’ve been accused of over thinking all my life. I appreciate y’all trying to help me but it’s worked for me all my life and it’s doubtful I will change.

Free, just keep doing you and mind us none. Remember I'm the one with the Xmas HGTV Redneck trailer roof edition, lol...

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/17/23 02:14 AM

There are always outliers in the mix of normals. I agree the majority of shots are pretty much line it up and shoot, but when the “weird” happens, it makes us ponder. As i told FR, not all deer read the textbooks.

This deer should have been an ez kill. Should have gone down a lot earlier. But it didntt. I shot a doe this weekend and with the dead deflated lungs and hanging by the legs the liver only went as far in as the eighth rib, which would be 5 from the back. Every anatomy is slightly different. Not all deer read the textbooks.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/17/23 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
There are always outliers in the mix of normals. I agree the majority of shots are pretty much line it up and shoot, but when the “weird” happens, it makes us ponder. As i told FR, not all deer read the textbooks.

This deer should have been an ez kill. Should have gone down a lot earlier. But it didntt. I shot a doe this weekend and with the dead deflated lungs and hanging by the legs the liver only went as far in as the eighth rib, which would be 5 from the back. Every anatomy is slightly different. Not all deer read the textbooks.

Everything is on a bell curve.

90% of good shots will be text book short tracks lots of blood. 10% of good shots will have you questioning your sanity and 10% of bad shots will result in a dead deer.

I shot a buck at 17 yards right behind the shoulder with a rage trypan. Perfect shot, deer ran off and I’m thinking it’s a short track job. Find the arrow and expect to find the buck in short order. Deer ended up going over 300 yards and the entry was right where I thought it was…great shot.

Last year I shot a doe with my recurve, she was alert and looking at me when I released ( mistake no.1) she lunged forward and I hit the deer just forward of the hips where it buried about halfway in. I found the deer 50 yards away from where I shot her stone dead.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/17/23 03:36 AM

There are good sized arteries in the abdomen and pelvis that can cause a quick bleed out. I have seen some advocare a rump shot on a passing deer given the large arteries and veins in that area. The issue is what did those shots hit and what didn’t they?

On a “perfect”chest shot you may hit lungs but no large arteries and it takes a while for the deer to die from lack of oxygen (hypoxia). Thinking out loud about such a shot, a deflated lung can still oxygenate, just not perfectly. So if it takes 20 seconds or longer for a deer to die due to poor oxygen, or at least pass put and fall to eventually die, that amounts to a run of about 250-300 yards (25mph x 1/3 minute = 250 yards).

But a abdomen shot that leads to a bleeder and a walking deer can easily mean a short track. All depends on what is hit and not hit.

These things dont become as much an issue with gun shots due to hydrostatic forces and translated energy into surrounding tissues. Still can lead to dead deer and long tracks, but a perfect lung shot woth a rifle will tear apart more artery due to fragmented bullet and shockwave damage.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/17/23 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye

Everything is on a bell curve.

90% of good shots will be text book short tracks lots of blood. 10% of good shots will have you questioning your sanity and 10% of bad shots will result in a dead deer.

I shot a buck at 17 yards right behind the shoulder with a rage trypan. Perfect shot, deer ran off and I’m thinking it’s a short track job. Find the arrow and expect to find the buck in short order. Deer ended up going over 300 yards and the entry was right where I thought it was…great shot.

Last year I shot a doe with my recurve, she was alert and looking at me when I released ( mistake no.1) she lunged forward and I hit the deer just forward of the hips where it buried about halfway in. I found the deer 50 yards away from where I shot her stone dead.

Absolutely. But man, I'll say it again, I've never found anything in the woods tougher to kill than a danged ole doe. I've enjoyed this thread, freerange. Lots of good info posted and a little something for everyone to polish their hunting skill set, especially the inexperienced hunters, but also for the one with lots of time in the woods.

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/17/23 02:07 PM

If an animal is facing due east 90° aim for lungs.

If the animal is south east at 135°, your point of aim is going to have to move forward on the animal.

If the animal is north east at 45° your point of aim is going to have to move back on the animal a bit.

Forget about the hide, be visualizing the vitals inside and where they are. If a liver gets cut on the way to lungs, fine. But I'm never going to be intentionally trying to hit a liver.

I remember an anesthesiologist talking to a surgeon, in a surgery. The surgeon was working on a woman's uterus and said something. The anesthesiologist said "not my problem, I am in charge of everything above the diaphragm."

Everything above the diaphragm is what kills animals mo fasta than anything else.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Shot Placement-Anatomy-Tracking - 01/18/23 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
If you can ever find a video from Bone Collector TV show that was filmed in Old Mexico around 2010 of Travis Turner shooting a buck with his bow it is worth the watch. He shoots a broadside buck behind the shoulder and it looks like a double lung dead deer shot. 1.5 hrs later and 1000 yards away Michael Waddell shoots the same buck with his bow after it walked in front of him. When I watched the video on the TV show and the buck walked in front of Waddell I said that is the same buck T-Bone just shot. It was for a fact the same buck. How the buck lived and went that far is unbelievable. All kinds of scenarios were played on forums about it. T-Bone is an excellent shot and it looked like a dead deer...but it was not even close when it walked out in front of Waddell. I've tried to find the video on Youtube but have never been successful.

i have not found the video either but did find this from T Bone at https://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=396006&forum=4

Straight from Travis:
Waddy/Bone Buck Mexico

We are still scratching our heads on this one . Just like a lot of things in hunting and heck even in life we may not be able to ever totally understand. But I will include some facts and or more info that may help us all understand things a lil better .

We had trailed the deer for about 150 yards 45 minutes after shooting him since we had reviewed the footage in the blind and seen it was a good hit . It was a good blood trail . As we were trailing the Buck outfitter drove on us trailing the deer not even knowing we had shot it was just time to be picked up . The direction in which he came to us was semi between Waddell and myself . When he approached us we told him about shooting the Buck and talked a bit at his truck for about 10 or 15 minutes. We then decided to go pick up Waddell and bring him back to finish blood trailing My buck in a group effort assuming by seeing how good the shot was and blood trail that we were close to finding him. Thats when we drove up on Waddell and got the info about him shooting the Buck. ( Side note: I know folks are thinking how come we weren't texting with each other or the outfitter. Well there is NO service in Mex . So it is old school hunting, we had no communications with each other til we seen them).

So by the time we get to Waddell to pick him up approximately and hour or so had past . And Waddell had shot the Buck just 10 to 15 minutes pryor to us getting there.

Now here are some other facts and therioes , with the footage that Waddell had after I had shot him and before he shot him you could tell he rushed in there to Waddy's stand . And also when he would stop he would close his eyes and tail would sink and would wobble . This deer was going to die for sure but it seemed he was living on bursts of adrenaline and we were amazed he went that far .

•It was a complete pass thru on my shot and Waddell's shot.

•The entrance and exit holes with Mine and Waddell's shots were big and yes the T3's for sure worked and opened just liked designed .

•After gutting the deer and trying to see what damage was done by what arrow it was too hard to tell with both arrows passing thru the vitals you couldn't tell what arrow and what or who's Bhead did what damage exactly .

•Would he have died from my shot ?. Absoulutley

•Would we have found this deer if he wouldnt have ran to Waddell ? maybe not with out a dog as much ground as he covered . It would have for sure been tough.

My theroy on the situation is this I must have hit a portion of the vitals to let the buck live a little longer than normal . And we may have got on his trail a lil fast . And maybe the outfitter coming up may have spooked him to hurry over Waddell's way and also increasing his adrenaline . rather than bedding down and dying. There were lots of cows in the pasture and it being open country may have made him seek the closest cover and or drainage which is where Waddell was. I have also noticed that deer in Texas and Mexico are a lot smaller bodied and they do seem to be more skitish and I guess a better word is jittery and the seem to run farther and faster and seem to have a stronger will to live , more adrenaline, but im sure this happens nation wide also . Just seems like a lot in tex .and mex. I also feel with us being able to review the footage helps a lot so that we can see the shot placement . When we all hunt alone you have to play all these things thru your head over and cant find the right answers to help you recover the animal .Instead of reviewing footage like we are able to do. At the end of the day this is for sure a head scratching incident that did end very lucky for us . The whitetail Gods shined on us . Other wise this would be another story like we all have or have heard of the one that got away that was hit very well . The whitetail deer is an amazing animal and we so enjoy hunting them. Its not the Broadheads fault its just what it is and all apart of hunting.

Yours in Archery, Travis T-Bone __________________ "Me I'm just a hunter" and I give em a smile.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum