Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Shady #8774113 01/05/23 12:36 AM
2flyfish4 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
Anyone ever come up on some shady stuff or people while pulling up to the boat ramp or access point at dark-thirty?

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Shady [Re: 2flyfish4] #8774394 01/05/23 02:44 PM
J
Jiggamitch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Interrupted some teens getting frisky in the back of an suv once.

Re: Shady [Re: 2flyfish4] #8774408 01/05/23 03:11 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by 2flyfish4
Anyone ever come up on some shady stuff or people while pulling up to the boat ramp or access point at dark-thirty?

I have not, but seems like a good place for it. I have slept in my camper many times at the ramp, and yes I had my gun by my side. I always imagined some redneck kids drunk and wired up on crank come pulling in looking for trouble.

Re: Shady [Re: 2flyfish4] #8774421 01/05/23 03:29 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
There are some east TX and OK ramps that make we worry with what I've seen. I try to leave nothing visible in my truck, don't need to bait 'em.

Guy, there's no need to have an unrational fear of rednecks. They don't all wanna make you city boys squeal like a pig. smile

Re: Shady [Re: LarryCopper] #8774458 01/05/23 04:07 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by LarryCopper

Guy, there's no need to have an unrational fear of rednecks.

The drunk meth heads are the only ones I worry about. I had a cop one time wake me up, and he even told me “I hope you got your gun next to you.” So it’s rational.

Re: Shady [Re: 2flyfish4] #8774480 01/05/23 04:28 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
When you see the access signs shot up from buck shot, tells you the kinda dip sticks that go into these places.

Re: Shady [Re: 2flyfish4] #8774502 01/05/23 04:52 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I was approached one night by a shady dude asking for gas money. I been to the cave and seen the critter that lives in that cave, he was up to no good. He started asking me for money while he was about 20 yards from me. He kept up with the flimflam jargon waving his arms in the air, but he was taking very small steps towards me, barely noticeable. He closed half the distance, while still flapping his gums, to about 10 yards. I finally told him to take no more steps my direction. He really went stupid then. He was yelling at me and started my way. He hadn't realized Senior Glock 40 was in my hand already. When I introduced Senior Glock he stopped, continued to talk smack while walking back to his car. He made the best decision of his life.

Re: Shady [Re: 2flyfish4] #8774522 01/05/23 05:17 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Only shady characters I see are in the city driving to duck hunting

Re: Shady [Re: 2flyfish4] #8774576 01/05/23 06:29 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
In October I was bow hunting in Southern Oklahoma. Saw a guy get out of his 3/4 ton dodge and head into the woods with a climber mid morning. It was close to the entrance of the park I was camping at so when I headed out for my afternoon hunt I passed by it. He was parked probably 75 yards from the stop sign to the main fm road. As I pull up to stop sign some tweaker looking dude pulled up to the truck and stars looking at it. Broad daylight, right next to a main road. I roll down my window and start watching and make sure he knows I see him. He points at me as if that’s supported scare me. He walks around the truck and starts walking to the passenger side. Staring at me steadily then yells something and starts waving his arms. I just keep watching. He checks passenger door and then starts walking towards me yelling and pointing. I take my eyes off of him and dig a hole puncher out of the console. Guess he recognized that move because when I looked up he was going the other direction.

Be a poor way to go through life.

Last edited by ducknbass; 01/05/23 06:30 PM.
Re: Shady [Re: Guy] #8774582 01/05/23 06:40 PM
L
louisianaman Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
Originally Posted by Guy
When you see the access signs shot up from buck shot, tells you the kinda dip sticks that go into these places.

That's how I feel. Are there any access signs on public land that aren't shot up?? I'd love for someone to show me

Re: Shady [Re: Guy] #8774588 01/05/23 06:49 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by LarryCopper

Guy, there's no need to have an unrational fear of rednecks.

The drunk meth heads are the only ones I worry about. I had a cop one time wake me up, and he even told me “I hope you got your gun next to you.” So it’s rational.

Rednecks don't do meth, that's WT. Big difference.

Re: Shady [Re: 2flyfish4] #8774626 01/05/23 08:05 PM
K
Kevin Heath Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
This wasn't duck hunting, but me and my now wife and some friends were trail riding in the Sam Houston National Forest on very clearly marked trails. We rounded a bend and we are in a shoulder high (to a horse) marijuana grow.

Some days you're the pigeon, other days you are the statue!
Re: Shady [Re: 2flyfish4] #8774640 01/05/23 08:19 PM
C
Capt.JVH Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
ducknbass, I agree. It really makes you think how folks like that function on a day-to-day basis. If I need money, I work overtime. I don't go to parks and start looking to loot parked trucks.

Reminds me of a guy I had a run in with while at HEB in Round Rock a few years ago. I had my son with me, he was 3 or so at the time and we were loading my wife's SUV with groceries. I could hear a guy walking down the rows of cars asking people for money and being quite rude and frank about it. My hackles were up. It felt like something was up. He was pulling the crazy eyes, crazy arm waving, crap. When he got about 30 feet from me, I could tell I was his next mark. I turned and put my hand on the small of my back where my CCW was located and just left it there while making eye contact. He quit the crazy movements immediately and started walking normal. Walked right by me like he never saw me. Got about thirty feet past and started at it again. To this day I feel like that could have gone south real quick had I not been paying attention. I have no sympathy for cracked out POS's like the ones being talked about in this thread.

Re: Shady [Re: 2flyfish4] #8774810 01/06/23 12:21 AM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I taught my 6 year old to shoot boat ramp signs with her 410. Scares off the ninnies.

I have the same reaction to graffiti and put bulls.

Last edited by ducknbass; 01/06/23 12:22 AM.
Re: Shady [Re: Capt.JVH] #8774816 01/06/23 12:30 AM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Capt.JVH
ducknbass, I agree. It really makes you think how folks like that function on a day-to-day basis. If I need money, I work overtime. I don't go to parks and start looking to loot parked trucks.

Reminds me of a guy I had a run in with while at HEB in Round Rock a few years ago. I had my son with me, he was 3 or so at the time and we were loading my wife's SUV with groceries. I could hear a guy walking down the rows of cars asking people for money and being quite rude and frank about it. My hackles were up. It felt like something was up. He was pulling the crazy eyes, crazy arm waving, crap. When he got about 30 feet from me, I could tell I was his next mark. I turned and put my hand on the small of my back where my CCW was located and just left it there while making eye contact. He quit the crazy movements immediately and started walking normal. Walked right by me like he never saw me. Got about thirty feet past and started at it again. To this day I feel like that could have gone south real quick had I not been paying attention. I have no sympathy for cracked out POS's like the ones being talked about in this thread.

I used to not have sympathy. But if not for the Grace of God maybe I’d be there. My dad and uncle have or are.

Re: Shady [Re: Capt.JVH] #8774883 01/06/23 02:14 AM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J

Originally Posted by Capt.JVH

I've used that trick a time or two. Once. on a school trip, I couldn't carry. We were in downtown San Antonio walking back to the hotel. We came around the back of the hotel and I was about 50 yards behind everyone else. A kid about 18 was moving towards me and mumbling something. He had his hand over his pocket that clearly had and EDC knife in it. He got to about 20 yards and I told him to not come any closer. I continued to back peddle to try to get around to the front of the hotel. He continued to close and mumble. I told him again at 15 yards. He was now in the knife zone but I don't think he understood that or he would have closed faster. At 10 yards I pulled my shirt up and reached behind my back. It worked. He broke off. Fortunately, with Texas being a LTC state at the time, He couldn't be sure if I was carrying or not. Some other states he may have called my bluff.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Shady [Re: 2flyfish4] #8774897 01/06/23 02:42 AM
2flyfish4 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
People on drugs deffiantly seems to be the common denominator.

Not hunting, but I was in New Mexico fishing. Staying in a little cheap motel in a small town. Was at my car and loading up my gear to head out for the morning. Some guy on who knows what started talking abunch of [censored] to me and another guy in the parking lot. We both ignored him and hurried up and got out of there.

Another buddy of mine, was up in Colorado fishing, he was on a dirt road headed to a trail head when he came around a bend in the road and a guy with a gun had another car stopped and was holding the 2 people at gun point. My buddy was about 50 yards away, was able to back up and call the cops. The guy was on drugs, and completely messed up.... no one was injured but talk about a crazy scenario to find yourself in.

But ya, I'm always alittle leary pulling up to some of my spots at dark thirty. Just seems like there are more crazy people than ever in this world.

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Shady [Re: 2flyfish4] #8775244 01/06/23 06:11 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
More people = more crazy people, more mass shooters, more looters...and more good people. It's all probabilities.

I will say, I've felt way more unease walking through griz country in the dark than I ever did at a boat ramp. Now thems all sorts of crazy.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Shady [Re: 2flyfish4] #8775351 01/06/23 09:26 PM
O
OTL91 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
Funny this came up... last weekend I was in Henryetta hunting and I decided to stop at a car wash with a pressure washer to clean off the boat and decoys. It was dark out but I was right off main street. Crackhead came out from behind a building, leather jacket on, hands in pockets (never took them out), and the first thing he asked was "what is this boat worth". I don't think he saw I had a friend with me who was towards the front of the truck in a shadow. He continues to ask what the boat is worth, where we are from and staying, etc. Goes inside to get a tall boy at which point my buddy grabs a shotgun and holds it in the open providing security while I reload boat. Guy walks out and starts to walk towards us when he sees friend with a shotgun in his hand... makes sharp turn and goes back behind building across the street into the shadows. I have never felt as if I was closer to being robbed than I did that night.... also reminded me why I like traveling with a friend.

Re: Shady [Re: 2flyfish4] #8775395 01/06/23 10:45 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I've shared this before, but was filling deer feeders in eastern Oklahoma several years ago just before season opened. Heard music back in woods and went to explore for source. Came upon a couple of guys cooking speed from the back of an old camaro. I was armed, but not about to get into a shootout, so I backed out quietly and called the ranch mgr and law. Mgr was out of town but headed home, and LE took a couple of hours to arrive. By the time they got there, the tweekers were gone, but left a bunch of beer cans and used syringes. Ugh..

Be alert at all times...and always be prepared.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide