Print Thread
Spartan cell cams #8762324 12/20/22 04:01 AM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I know there’s a ton of threads on cameras but I never pay any attention. Now I’ve got two guys hunting with me that really like Spartans. Thinking about changing all to Spartan and it wont be cheap. Please let me know about what you think of Spartans. It’s probably Spartan or stay with a hodge podge of cheap non cell stuff so may not help to try and promote another brand.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Spartan cell cams [Re: freerange] #8762799 12/20/22 09:20 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
new binos and now thinking about new cameras - who are you?

Re: Spartan cell cams [Re: Hudbone] #8763202 12/21/22 01:00 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Hudbone
new binos and now thinking about new cameras - who are you?

Just trying to keep up with the Hudeses.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Spartan cell cams [Re: freerange] #8765445 12/23/22 10:00 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Forums letting me down… No Spartan comments? No good, no bad, no experience….?
On sale just a few more days so gonna roll the dice I guess.

Re: Spartan cell cams [Re: freerange] #8767049 12/26/22 01:46 AM
B
B_Man Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Freerange- my son has a Spartan. His wife bought it for him. It seems to work fine and he can download the videos
and watch them as well. He tells me he believes they are good cameras but for the price he could have bought 3 other cameras
that would be somewhat equivalent. I personally have tried to many different brands and the best non-cellular cameras I have
used are the Brownings IMO. I have tried Spypoint and would not buy another one for so many reasons but the main one is the
detection circuits in them are very poor. Most people don't know that. I had one in my backyard along with another trail camera and
deer and wildlife came to my feeder and 1/2 the time the Spypoint never detected the wildlife and never took the picture compared to the other brand.
The Spypoint would transmit ok when it finally detected wildlife so that wasn't a problem. Customer service is so bad too. The best cellular camera
that I have been using (and bought several) is the Tacta-Cam. They were on sale this past summer and there were some good deals. What is interesting about them
is that most of the different models have 2 antennas, some are internal and some external. Where we hunt we are lucky to get 1 bar of signal but we do
and the Tacta-cam has sent us pictures 80%-90% of the time. Customer Service has been good too and I have had many emails and call them asking a ton
of questions. I think you could buy 3 Tacta-Cams for 1 Spartan. Sorry for the long response but wanted to share my experience and opinion. Hope this helps.

Re: Spartan cell cams [Re: freerange] #8767235 12/26/22 04:17 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I am thinking this same question as well, so thanks for posting it.

Re: Spartan cell cams [Re: freerange] #8767808 12/27/22 02:15 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
BMan, thanks for your comments. I think you are way off on your price comments on Spartan compared to other cell cams, but I may be wrong. I think Spartans can range from 300 to 500 depending on model. My friends use the base model and it’s on sale for a few more days at 200.

Re: Spartan cell cams [Re: freerange] #8770113 12/30/22 03:27 PM
B
B_Man Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I am almost positive my son's wife did not buy the base model but one of the high end ones.
If I recall correctly, I think it was between $300-$400 for that camera. That is why I said a person
could buy about 3 for that price assuming it was the higher end model. It is good to know
that the base model is $200. Thanks

Re: Spartan cell cams [Re: freerange] #8770117 12/30/22 03:33 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
It’s only 200 for a limited time. I assume they are closing out that model but not sure. It’s a smaller company, evidently, or at least their customer service reflects that.

Re: Spartan cell cams [Re: freerange] #8771669 01/01/23 06:44 PM
B
Bradgrace Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I have two and like them. They are definitely better than spypoint. Pay attention to which model you get if you’re interested in externally powering them as they have different ways you have to do it.

Re: Spartan cell cams [Re: freerange] #8772164 01/02/23 04:35 PM
Sidebuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
So tired of spending money on camera's that don't work right. I have two Stealthcam Fusion X that are junk. Are there any camera's out there that work like they suppose to?

Re: Spartan cell cams [Re: freerange] #8773051 01/03/23 07:13 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Just talked to Spartan. As reported, they are customer friendly and easy to deal with a real person and get info easy, quick and courteous. Small company outa Ga.
The $199 price is regular everyday price on their base model. It was lowered to that price in Feb. it’s not being discontinued, they’re just trying to be competitive she said. My guys that have been using them a few years could afford the fancier more expensive models but they say this one is fine. Spartan also told me they run promos around most holidays and have various discounts. My friends use a large 6V external battery they put in ammo box. The batt costs 75ish..?? The monthly base charge, I think, is $5 per cam and if you have a good many pics it goes up to maybe 7 or 8ish…?
Just fyi for anyone interested.
I think we are gonna be using 11 of em. May wait to see the holiday promo pricing.

Re: Spartan cell cams [Re: Sidebuster] #8773120 01/03/23 09:09 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Sidebuster
So tired of spending money on camera's that don't work right. I have two Stealthcam Fusion X that are junk. Are there any camera's out there that work like they suppose to?

I have heard reconyx is the bomb, but too pricey for me and my budget.

Good to hear about the spartan cams pricing and all that FR.
I priced out 4 covert cams with stands, cards, solar, etc and with my discount it came out right around 1000. Haven't pulled the trigger on that yet. I know I don't need the cards, but those were the cheapest of the items, the solar/battery box adds another 70-80 bucks per cam and the stand is around 20-30. Not bad, but still not a small investment. Then add 5/month per camera, and it adds up...but similar in price to the spartans. I would love to go to one single plan vs 2 (i have cudde and covert right now, but looking to move away from the cudde) and if I went spartan I would have to buy 6 cams instead of 4. Decisions decisions. Its only money, and I cant take it with me

Re: Spartan cell cams [Re: freerange] #8773489 01/04/23 03:49 AM
E
ETXFIREMAN 1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
I have a Spartan GoCam, it's the base model, that I've been running for 3-4 years now. When I bought mine they were $299. The camera has been great once I figured out my external battery/ solar charger issues. Last year I bought my dad a Tactacam Reveal X for $115ish and I personally think the picture quality of the Reval X is only 1/2 of my Spartan. With that said, if I need another cell cam and Spartans are $199 or less that's what I'll buy.

Originally Posted by BMD
No doubt about the AR crap, just damn shame hunters don't have self control and knowledge

Re: Spartan cell cams [Re: freerange] #8773580 01/04/23 12:56 PM
B
B_Man Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
A couple more thoughts about the Tactacam that I have discovered. I bought a few different models based on their promo deals.
The XB Model I bought was on sale for about $120 if my memory serves me correctly. That model had the no glow LED, and
the GPS unit in it, just in case it was stolen. It also had the 24 Megapixel pictures. IMO the picture quality that is transmitted
by the cellular system is a lower quality picture to help with bandwidth and transmit time (which also reduces battery drain).
When I pulled the chip and actually looked at all the pictures the quality on the chip was far better than what was sent to my computer/phone.
Plus I set the cameras to take 2 pictures but what comes through the system is just one picture which helps keep your monthly picture count down.
Now the Tactacam X and Gen 2 are only 16 megapixel but again the chip picture is far better than what is transmitted. I an mot sure how the
other camera models work but wanted to share some things I found out. Again for us the 2 antennas in those camera are a big plus for us where we
hunt and getting a cellular camera that actually sends us pictures is great. The Tacacam also comes with both a Verizon and AT&T sim card so you
can try either one in your area but maybe all the other cameras come with that now too, I just don't know. Sorry for the long note. I think the Spartan,
Reconyx and Tatcacam are solid cameras. Have a Great 2023 fellow hunters.

Re: Spartan cell cams [Re: freerange] #8774195 01/05/23 01:56 AM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Thanks for the input guys. I have never really been into cameras a bunch and certainly not the cell kind. On these fairly big leases I have been on there is usually another guy that handles all the cameras so Ive never learned a bunch. What I have been told on some type cams is that what is sent to computer in usually not as good quality pic as if you pull the memory card(as someone mentioned.) My guys that have been using the Spartans tell me theres no difference on the Spartans(I dont know.) You can request HD on an individual pic by pic basis and it costs extra per pic I think.

Re: Spartan cell cams [Re: freerange] #8775390 01/06/23 10:36 PM
Texas452 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Good info.
SPYPOINT customer service is horrible.
I will never buy another one.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide