Forums46
Topics538,553
Posts9,738,471
Members87,095
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Does anyone else dislike evening hunts? [Re: Sauerkraut] #8762431 12/20/22 11:25 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I can't "Dislike" any hunt, but I way prefer morning. Morning hunt is on from first light to the time I decide to quit. I'm pumped up and on alert the whole time knowing that at any second I could be pulling the trigger on a good buck. There's plenty of time to take care of business with the kill and enjoy it. Evening, seems like I'm waiting on the golden hour of the last one hour of shooting light, then I seem to be in a hurry to get things taken care of before dark.

I have records on 46 bucks. 21 AM, 25 PM.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Does anyone else dislike evening hunts? [Re: Jimbo1] #8762563 12/20/22 03:12 PM
B
Bassdeer Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Jimbo1
You're not alone. I'll still hunt every evening, but it's going to take something special for me to shoot close to dark.

Yea I feel the same why, I have left a lot of doe's go just before dark because I don't want to deal with the work in the dark.

Re: Does anyone else dislike evening hunts? [Re: Sauerkraut] #8763171 12/21/22 11:42 AM
71Rcode Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
I stated earlier that I prefer morning hunts. However, last evening my youngest son took his first deer ever in late shooting light. Several of the reasons I dislike evening hunts followed...not a perfect shot (young shooter), tracking the deer through the woods in the dark following blood, gutting the deer in the dark, going to the processor after hours.

With that said, after 2 other morning and 1 evening hunts this past weekend with my kiddo evaluating several bucks, all shy of 13", yesterday afternoons/evening hunt is something he and I will never forget. As an athlete competing at high levels his entire life, he said his heart never raced so much as looking at the buck through the Redfield crosshairs riding on top of his Marlin 336.

He loved every second of the experience. The 2.5 hour sit, the excitement of the shot, the tracking and gutting, the stories, and the steaks to come. His first deer and 8pt legal buck was an incredible evening for both of us.

So I guess that puts me back to even... I now like morning and evening hunts equally.

edited to fix sloppy typos

Last edited by 71Rcode; 12/21/22 01:18 PM.

NRA Life Member & GOA Member
Always interested in Marlins. Let me know what you have for sale!
Re: Does anyone else dislike evening hunts? [Re: 71Rcode] #8763179 12/21/22 12:08 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by 71Rcode
I stated earlier that I prefer morning hunts. However, last evening my youngest son took his first deer ever in late shooting light. Several of the reasons I dislike evening hunts followed...not a perfect shot (young shooter), tracking the deer through the woods in the dark following blood, gutting the deer in the dark, going to the processor after hours.

With that said, after 2 other morning and 1 evening hunts this past weekend with my kiddo evaluating several bucks, all shy of 13", yesterday afternoons/evening hunt is something he and I will never forget. As an athlete competing at high levels his entire life, he said his heart never raced so much as looking at the buck through the Redfield crosshairs riging on top of his Marlin 336.

He loved every second of the experience. The 2.5 hour sit, the excitement of the shot, thr tracking and gutting, the stories, and the streaks to come. His first deer and 8pt legal buck was an incredible evening for both of us.

So I guess that puts me back to even... I now like morning and evening hunts equally.

A post like this deserves a picture.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Does anyone else dislike evening hunts? [Re: Sauerkraut] #8769980 12/30/22 12:30 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Of the 40 plus deer I have taken in my 60 years of hunting only 5 were taken in the evening!!!!

However hunting and not seeing a deer is always better than not hunting at all!!!

As noted more chance of not finding a deer in the dark and letting the yotes have excessive protean!! This has happened a couple times unfortunately!!!

Re: Does anyone else dislike evening hunts? [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8771010 12/31/22 08:02 PM
71Rcode Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Originally Posted by 71Rcode

With that said, after 2 other morning and 1 evening hunts this past weekend with my kiddo evaluating several bucks, all shy of 13", yesterday afternoons/evening hunt is something he and I will never forget. As an athlete competing at high levels his entire life, he said his heart never raced so much as looking at the buck through the Redfield crosshairs riging on top of his Marlin 336.

He loved every second of the experience. The 2.5 hour sit, the excitement of the shot, thr tracking and gutting, the stories, and the streaks to come. His first deer and 8pt legal buck was an incredible evening for both of us.

A post like this deserves a picture.

OK ------ back to preferring morning hunts. Two mature bucks walked out this morning and I took the larger of the two. I've been watching deer pretty much all season. The Marlin 45-70 did its job nicely! Man I love morning hunts!

NRA Life Member & GOA Member
Always interested in Marlins. Let me know what you have for sale!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide